• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A long overdue apology

NNID
Budget_Player
So... I was kind of a douche.

Like, seriously. What the **** was wrong with me? I wanna go back in time and beat the **** out of myself. I'm a kid. Playing video games. With my friends. Where did all the ****ing bitterness come from, to the point where I was willing to burn ****ing bridges with people over what stages we played on, or whether a certain character was legal? How did I get there?! What the **** was wrong with me?

However you play smash, it's a good game. So what if I think it's like 5% better if we can play on Pokemon Stadium 2? **** all that ****. It's a video game. Either way, I should be having fun. I'm just sorry I was such a ****ing asshole about it.

So yeah. To anyone I gave **** about the stagelist, custom moves, et cetera... I'm sorry. I don't really play smash anymore, but "overdue" doesn't mean "unwarranted". I don't know what was wrong with me, and I'm sorry.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Good man.

No shame in apologizing. Maturation is the best part of life.

I think that this thread belongs in this subforum because part of being a competitive player is being a good sportsman.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I think that this thread belongs in this subforum because part of being a competitive player is being a good sportsman.
This was my thinking exactly.

It would be a real shame if we all wasted years of our lives yelling at each other about playing video games wrong, and we didn't have at least some of us become better people.

I hope you stick around for the next chapter, mate.

Phil Time

Smash Cadet
It would be a real shame if we all wasted years of our lives yelling at each other about playing video games wrong, and we didn't have at least some of us become better people.

"Remember that fun is subjective and, no matter what my personal feelings toward Melee are, I would never criticize anyone for NOT HAVING FUN RIGHT." - Josh from The Geek Critique.

Dr. λ

Banned via Warnings
"Remember that fun is subjective and, no matter what my personal feelings toward Melee are, I would never criticize anyone for NOT HAVING FUN RIGHT." - Josh from The Geek Critique.
So if I had fun by playing a game that involves beating up as many old people I can find then he would not criticise me because he would never criticise me for having fun in the wrong way.

Phil Time

Smash Cadet
So if I had fun by playing a game that involves beating up as many old people I can find then he would not criticise me because he would never criticise me for having fun in the wrong way.

Josh from The Geek Critique always makes YouTube videos about video games.

Thinkaman specifically wrote: "yelling at each other about playing VIDEO GAMES wrong."

I hope that you understand the difference between VIDEO GAMES and REAL LIFE.

Real life is the place where old persons exist.

Unfortunately, video games almost never have old persons in their communities.

To be precise, when I mention "old persons" I am referring to anyone that is 90-120 years old.

Everyone says that I am "old as hell" and I'm currently 28 years old.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Josh from The Geek Critique always makes YouTube videos about video games.

Thinkaman specifically wrote: "yelling at each other about playing VIDEO GAMES wrong."

I hope that you understand the difference between VIDEO GAMES and REAL LIFE.

Real life is the place where old persons exist.

Unfortunately, video games almost never have old persons in their communities.

To be precise, when I mention "old persons" I am referring to anyone that is 90-120 years old.

Everyone says that I am "old as hell" and I'm currently 28 years old.
The quote does not mention anything about him talking about fun in video games specifically. And him having a channel about video games does not preclude him from talking about real life. Neither does having said something about yelling in video games preclude him from ever saying something about real life again.

Phil Time

Smash Cadet
The quote does not mention anything about him talking about fun in video games specifically. And him having a channel about video games does not preclude him from talking about real life. Neither does having said something about yelling in video games preclude him from ever saying something about real life again.

You're joking, correct?

The ENTIRE video that I posted is discussing video games, not real life.

The only reason that I selected that one quote (which even mentions the video game Super Smash Bros. Melee) is because I didn't want to write the transcript of a video that is over 18 minutes long.

I'll try to make the quote a little bit longer.

"But Competitive Smash is not 'Fox only, Final Destination, No Items.' No. Competitive players seek to eliminate random elements so that the most skilled among them wins. And that skill ceiling has been pushed HIGHER and HIGHER as the meta game has evolved over the past 13 years. And this was only possible because of the way the game could be exploited to create an experience that was, quite frankly, more NUANCED than intended.

That's why Melee is so beloved. This does lead me into a bit of a precarious position. If a couple of people are dedicated to Smash 64, I know that an ENORMOUS swath of the community adores Melee. To criticize it is to tempt bringing the wrath of that community up on me.

So I'll ask you all to keep in mind that my critique is necessarily an opinionated one. Remember that fun is subjective and, no matter what my personal feelings toward Melee are, I would never criticize anyone for NOT HAVING FUN RIGHT.

If my opinion differs from yours, that's not at all a slight against you personally and I will happily debate and communicate with you in the comments." - Josh from The Geek Critique.

Remember that this video was uploaded to YouTube on November 5, 2014. That's why Josh from The Geek Critique mentioned that the meta game has evolved over the past 13 years (because Super Smash Bros. Melee was first released in the year 2001).

1FC0

Smash Lord
He was talking about Melee and by your logic that means that any general statement he says after that must implicitly be about Melee, not about video games in general.

But your logic is wrong anyway since just because one talks about something specific does not mean that he can not follow it up with general statements afterward. In fact, I just proved my own point. First I was talking about our specific disagreement and then I followed it up with a general statement which has our specific disagreement as an instance right in this post.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
What a redemption arc, glad I happened to sign on today!

Phil Time

Smash Cadet
He was talking about Melee and by your logic that means that any general statement he says after that must implicitly be about Melee, not about video games in general.

But your logic is wrong anyway since just because one talks about something specific does not mean that he can not follow it up with general statements afterward. In fact, I just proved my own point. First I was talking about our specific disagreement and then I followed it up with a general statement which has our specific disagreement as an instance right in this post.

"Truly, you have a dizzying intellect." - Westley/Dread Pirate Roberts from The Princess Bride.

Top Bottom