• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Lesson from Red Yoshi

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Honestly aMSa goes into a match assuming they don't know the matchup. Granted aMSa is really good, but he can only go so far. People like leffen bopped him because he was a yoshi main before and knew the matchup

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom Nice going!

As a fellow LoL player, I know how Gbay99 felt seeing aMSa in action. The LoL community is rotten, with a bunch of manchild crying over anything: picks, lanes, spells, comps. People basically have no respect for each other. It's really good to see someone high-light the sportsmanship, even in other games, showing that respect can be achieved in anything. Be it in a casual game, competitive game, and in real life.

Congratulations for aMSa for his attitude, and for Gbay for spreading the word.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Honestly aMSa goes into a match assuming they don't know the matchup. Granted aMSa is really good, but he can only go so far. People like leffen bopped him because he was a yoshi main before and knew the matchup
Thus the age old question: do you stick with your main or choose the character with the better match up/tier listing? There is never a right answer to that one.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom Nice going!

As a fellow LoL player, I know how Gbay99 felt seeing aMSa in action. The LoL community is rotten, with a bunch of manchild crying over anything: picks, lanes, spells, comps. People basically have no respect for each other. It's really good to see someone high-light the sportsmanship, even in other games, showing that respect can be achieved in anything. Be it in a casual game, competitive game, and in real life.

Congratulations for aMSa for his attitude, and for Gbay for spreading the word.
They even Hate LoL new mode because is more fun and less competitive.

We need to play all the time the game for fun and Competitive at the same time.

I will never stop, Maining:4olimar:, People who call him low tier. Im gonna slap you.

And GreenRanger is a beast too.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
They even Hate LoL new mode because is more fun and less competitive.

We need to play all the time the game for fun and Competitive at the same time.

I will never stop, Maining:4olimar:, People who call him low tier. Im gonna slap you.

And GreenRanger is a beast too.
While I don't like using:4olimar:, I respect those who do as someone who enjoys picking up mid to low tier characters.

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, about damn time someone got top 8 without the use of an S-tier character. I thought that would never happen. I guess I was a disbeliever after only seeing S-tier characters and absolutley nothing else getting top 8 and such. aMSa, Axe, and DJNintendo are my heroes when Melee is the topic.
Its funny that you mention Axe yet think no one gets Top 8 without an S-Tier character. Also Shroomed was getting top 8 a lot in 2013 with Doc, and Plup got 5th at Paragon.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Its funny that you mention Axe yet think no one gets Top 8 without an S-Tier character. Also Shroomed was getting top 8 a lot in 2013 with Doc, and Plup got 5th at Paragon.
Heh, I guess aMSa kind of caught my eye during the time I posted that. He is currently as of the time of this post 7th best Smasher in the world according to the rankings on Smashboards. I don't know, Foxes and Falcos and Falcons are blinding me to much.

Jibo23

Smash Rookie
This just goes to show, that there's not such thing as a top tier character. Just like he said in the video, you can be great with any character!

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
aMSa might have been relying on an unknown matchup to win a lot, but he still had to put in the time to discover and perfect the different options yoshi has. There was nobody else using him to copy. He managed to come up with enough different options to keep some of the best players in the world from figuring him out and abusing the huge match up advantage some of them had. Dude deserves a ton of credit

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This just goes to show, that there's not such thing as a top tier character. Just like he said in the video, you can be great with any character!
Can you be great with a low tier character. Yeah but that neccesarily get you consecutive wins. There's a reason why many people use Fox, Falco, Shiek, etc because they are very, very good characters.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Gotta love the Red Yoshi! After seeing aMSa play a tournament awhile back, I was inspired to try out Yoshi in Melee. I never really had a 'main' in Melee, as I liked to just pick characters at random when playing with my friends. But after seeing some of aMSa's moves, Yoshi's movements and animations made the character feel really comfortable to control. Since then, I've played Yoshi almost every day in Melee.

Thanks aMSa! :yoshimelee:

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Really anyone who doesn't use Fox, Falco, Shiek, Marth, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, and Peach are my immediate favs in Melee streams. It's just hard to find individuality within the regular players (unless you know they're smash background which makes you a fan of them or they like to use low-tier characters as well as S-tier characters). I mean I don't mean to hate, but it's like the one thing that kind of keeps me watching the stream whenever one stream happens. There's only so much playstyles and shenanigans you can do with a limited amount of 8 characters.
Captain Falcon is slowly becoming a rarity. Hopefully Mango picks him up like the rumors say.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Captain Falcon is slowly becoming a rarity. Hopefully Mango picks him up like the rumors say.
Which only means this game is only more unbalanced if that were to ever become true. Great, we're losing one of the only characters we have that had some sort of crazy shinanigans going on. At least better to watch than space animals 24-7.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Which only means this game is only more unbalanced if that were to ever become true. Great, we're losing one of the only characters we have that had some sort of crazy shinanigans going on. At least better to watch than space animals 24-7.
As to this day, the Fox Apocalypse has begun. Welcome to 20XX.

Last edited:

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
When he lost to Mango at Apex, he made a Twitter post. What do you think it was? Was it saltiness at losing? Was it him making johns? Nope, it was something along the lines of "Mango and Leffen are such good players, I can't wait to train some more with Yoshi to become as good as them!" aMSa is pretty much the shining example of sportsmanship in the Smash community, and I think he is someone to look up to.
He's the Naruto of the Smash world.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Out of all my time playing LoL, Gbay99's advice and attitude always helped me more than any other player. He doubles in Smash as a bonus! Good to see some of his content posted here.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
While this video regurgitates truth. I feel that there should be a counterpart version where it encourages people to use the character they love despite being overused or top tier.
Playing a low tier and do well is more inspiring I agree (I enjoy more winning a game using my :4zelda: than when I win 10 games with :4sonic:). But I feel the guys who play :4diddy::4sheik::rosalina: and the like get looked down the most these days.

Spaghetti Falco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
brandorf
3DS FC
3024-6627-7748
Just goes to show that dedication and loyalty can overcome any "tier list"
Play who you want to friends
aMSa did and look where he is

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
This is basically inspiring me to take a break from Smash 4 and keep playing Melee (and Project M) even though I currently suck at it, Yoshi too. Weeklies this Friday, Here I come!

I might wanna find a secondary just in case though: Looking at :falcomelee: and :marthmelee: atm, but :pikachumelee: and :peachmelee: look pretty fun too.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Always makes me incredibly happy to see uncommon characters winning against "top tiers" in competitive play.

I try to stick with mains, but there's so many characters I love to play as it's hard to stick with one. Haven't even slimmed down my brawl mains much yet, and now I got smash Wii U a couple weeks ago so it's taking me a while to get used to all the characters and unlocking everything (and shoveling all this snow keeps eating up my free time.... bah I want that dragon helmet for the Mii fighters, I'm surprised how much fun they are).

Are there any tier lists for smash bros 4 yet? I'm curious to see where Meta Knight stands...... funnily enough I'm hoping he's not too high up on the tier list so I don't have to feel bad about playing my favorite nintendo character....Even if they kirbified him a little to keep in line with his later kirbified appearances, and his slashes aren't as cool as they were in Brawl, and I can't fly anymore. I just say this because other people do care about tiers and it's annoying.

Though, I don't think I'll be anything other than casual though, because Brawl Computers are pretty much the toughest opponents (haven't compared with Wii U cpus or amiibos yet).

Story time:
Someone else that regularly wins a project M tournament with Samus as a main in my town does not even use projectiles, grabs, or shields. Hopefully that one match I did with ditto Samus on Final Destination, where I took an entire stock (and receiving no damage) with just super missiles + a single charged plasma shot for the final blow will teach him to use shields + projectiles. In the same match, he re-learned about the existance of Samus's down tilt too (he uses a lot of smashes. his gameplay style reminds me of when I used to fight Melee CPUs, I'm so glad Brawl stepped up the difficult of level 9 cpus a ton to make me better).
He is a good player, he just needs to pick up those few things to be threatening, then we can really have some awesome matches.

Last edited:

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Man, it kind of sucks that character picks come with a stigma now.

I mean, I could say that it sucks that now you're sort of sidelined or marginalized by using a high tier character by people also saying tiers don't matter (funny how that works) but I'd rather flip that on his head.

If aMSa was as happy, good sporting, and hard working in Smash as a Fox or Marth player WHO PLAYS THEM BECAUSE HE LIKES THE CHARACTER, would any of you care about him in remotely the same way?

I mean he'd still be aMSa. A good sport, a happy player, and a person who would honestly be a perfect role model for any aspiring Melee player...

But that wouldn't matter to most of you if we lived in a world where he played out of the top 8. That bothers me.

We're all equals at the character select screen. Bizarro Flame isn't Bizzarro Flame BECAUSE he plays Ganon. He's Bizzarro Flame because he makes gfycat moments despite being at the highest level of play! This shouldn't be a lesson from Red Yoshi, but aMSa. The man is not his character, he is MORE than his character!

Last edited:

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
Just waiting for a great Kirby main in any game.. especially Smash 4

Top Bottom