• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Lack of IP's and why the new roster will fail to excite you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
I preface this by saying that I really really want SSB4 to be good. I want my old melee mechanics coupled with my old brawl features with some new stuff that makes me squeal like a 4 year old girl. I wanna a better single player where I don't fight ******** subspace whatevers, stronger custom content support and the option to have tourney legal and illegal options for every stage.

I believe I could get all of these things. But I'm doubtful I'll get a great roster and here's why.

Nintendo has had very very few new IP's in the last couple of years.

Xenoblade. That's really it.

Also, Nintendo seems to have very little interest in developing new franchises and seems to be more interested in re-popularizing old franchises. If you don't believe me, read Sakurai's comments on including more retro characters and NintendoLand.

Which brings me to my final point. Sakurai has already said that there will be the same or LESS characters in this iteration than before, meaning that he will be shaving off the tried and true for...

Balloon Fighter?
Pacman?
Shulk?

Who cares about these characters! I don't and neither should you!

I suggest that Smash Bros responds to the changing times and just makes it a game of mascots with complete disregard for the brand. Give us Banjo, Megaman, Ryu and Simon Belmont. We'd trade are non-existent nintendo loyalty for that group over Balloon Fighter any day of the week.

Thoughts and opinions?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A lot of things fail to excite me lately

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Which brings me to my final point. Sakurai has already said that there will be the same or LESS characters in this iteration than before, meaning that he will be shaving off the tried and true for...

Thoughts and opinions?

I *really* don't think you have a source for this. And it makes no sense.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai said the roster will not be much bigger. Never said less.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Nintendo has had very very few new IP's in the last couple of years.

Xenoblade. That's really it.
Xenoblade, Fossil Fighter, Pandora's Tower, Magical Starsign, Flingsmash, Rhythm Heaven, Excitebots, Captain Rainbow are all new ips created after Brawl. so they are trying. they just weren't overly successful. at least by comparison to the proven true franchises.

but they do still have plenty of IPs created before Brawl that have survived till now that haven't been in Smash. Golden Sun, S&P, Glory of Heracles, and the Wars series to name a few.

Xenoblade, Fossil Fighter, Pandora's Tower, Magical Starsign, Flingsmash, Rhythm Heaven, Excitebots, Captain Rainbow are all new ips created after Brawl. so they are trying. they just weren't overly successful. at least by comparison to the proven true franchises.

but they do still have plenty of IPs created before Brawl that have survived till now that haven't been in Smash. Golden Sun, S&P, Glory of Heracles, and the Wars series to name a few.
This post right here I agree with.

We can see quite the amount of these characters getting in.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Not to mention Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, Diagasso Band Brothers, Trace Memory, The Last Story, Eternal Darkness, Gesit and Hotel Dusk.

IPs are not the problem.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Not to mention Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, Diagasso Band Brothers, Trace Memory, The Last Story, Eternal Darkness, Gesit and Hotel Dusk.

IPs are not the problem.
yeah i just named a bunch i readily knew. but your right. lack of IPs are far from the issue. its lack of an obvious new IP for Smash.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
yeah i just named a bunch i readily knew. but your right. lack of IPs are far from the issue. its lack of an obvious new IP for Smash.
I was just adding to back up your point. Wasn't criticizing.

Yeah out of all of the IPs we said only a handful are suitable for smash.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
right. for Brawl it was pretty obvious cause Pikmin was HUGE so i personally saw that one coming. and Wario made a lot of sense too. this time there's no new franchises that obvious.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I hope this thread doesn't start up that depression the roster thread went through at one point.

Anyway the only IPs that were Smash worthy before Brawl but after Melee was Animal Crossing, Starfy, Golden Sun, and to an extent Custom Robo. And of those, really only Golden Sun is the tough one to believe Sakurai (possibly) didn't think much of for possible characters. (Animal Crossing was actually considered but Sakurai thought it'd be out of character, Starfy possibly wasn't a good fit, and CR, lets just guess the characters are too small or something).

Sakurai has already stated that he's looking towards reviving at least one more "Pit" with Smash 4. And yes, older IPs will always get the most love, it's a bit of a shame when the most minor of Mario characters are more notable than someone like Samus, but there's no use crying about it.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nintendo makes a lot of IP's these days. They've probably made more IP's in the last 5 years than they did in the entire 1990's.

As it stands, there are still top new "All-Star" characters that excite, namely IMO Paper Mario, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Little Mac, Isaac, Shulk, Mega Man, and Pac-Man (perhaps even a new Pokémon or two!), that I would love to play as, pay to play as, and all of whom have a very real chance at being playable. We also have a ton of wild cards other than that, which can be incredible to play as. And quite frankly, Sakurai has never failed to impress with his roster moves and character movesets, and I doubt he's about to stop now when he sounds very inspired, excited, and took his time to naturally enter into this new era of smash with 2 new games being made at the same time.

There are less "missing" All-Stars than there was pre-Melee and pre-Brawl, but who cares=??? We already got a ton of All-Stars, nearly all of which will return. I don't get why people don't get excited for veterans returning, considering that these characters stick around for a reason: because they are awesome, and super fun and addictive to play as!

Plus, ultimately for smash, the gameplay, not the characters, are what keeps us coming back for more. Without a good foundation in the gameplay (which is almost entirely based around the multiplayer) that creates an enjoyable and unique game like any other, nobody cares if all of these characters are in a game together nearly as much, if even at all.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We'll see what'll come up, but I just really agree that Sakurai can't opt to be so strict on choosing IPs because there's pretty much a shortage now on deserving characters that have yet to be added in the game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

IPs are not the problem.
Then there's Zangeki no Reginleiv (a 2nd Party title) which is fitting enough for some trophy representation.

:phone:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And then there is the IP's Nintendo has for the nintendo eShop. Nintendo still has loads of character's to choose from for smash 4. Sure most of them aren't as big as the likes of Mario, Link and Pikachu. But there are still a number of good candidates left. :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The only 'new' IP I really want to see is Golden Sun. Also expect Little Mac and Takamaru joining. So that's maybe 3 new IPs. For the rest, I stick with adding characters from excisting IPs like Mario, DK, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid and Pokemon.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I suggest that Smash Bros responds to the changing times and just makes it a game of mascots with complete disregard for the brand. Give us Banjo, Megaman, Ryu and Simon Belmont. We'd trade are non-existent nintendo loyalty for that group over Balloon Fighter any day of the week.

Thoughts and opinions?
One of the worst ideas I have ever heard.

Also, Nintendo has come out with quite a few more IPs recently than they usually do.
Xenoblade
Dillon's Rolling Western
Pushmo
There may be one or two more. But being that this is nintendo thats quite a few.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well considering they won't get Banjo, and there aren't too many popular 3rd parties left, your idea wouldn't be that great. This isn't Nintendo vs. every other gaming company.

Also, most of the characters that are requested don't come from new IP's. Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo, Roy, Palutena, etc... are all from series already in the game.

Characters that are choices from new IP's, include Shulk, Isaac, Little Mac, Takamaru, Custom Robo, and many, many more.

It's not like Brawl brought in a HUGE amount of new series either. Kid Icarus, WarioWAre, and Pikmin were included, coming to THREE Nintendo IP's being added. Three more if you include R.O.B., Metal Gear, and Sonic the Hedgehog (the last two aren't even Nintendo)

Also, when Sakurai stated what you are evidently quoting, he said that he won't be adding as many characters, not that there would be less overall than Brawl had. So we'll still probably get at least 10 new characters in Smash 4.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget the main character from the first new IP for WiiU:
[COLLAPSE="Monita"]
[/COLLAPSE]

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
The original poster is very ignorant of the Nintendo world around him and I can guarantee you this topic came from one of the many numerous gaming sites that recently published similar topics on no new Nintendo franchises.

Good thing some of you brought up the titles already, but because many of them aren't character or story based they "don't count" as a new franchise. Not everything has to be an adventure, fighter or a racer that actually has some character focus. Now then even with the few character and story driven IPs Nintendo has come up in the last 10 years or so almost none of them have "made it" in the sense of Mario, Kirby and Link.

Imagine if Dillon made some angry birds headlines(not literally but you get me)? There would be so much more conversation about his likely playability in Smash.

There are soon many Nintendo IP's 1st and 2nd party that can be repped. Chances are if they never made much headlines they will have a hard time making it into the roster. Ice Climbers and Pit are the absolute luckiest characters and franchises to make it into Smash. Even ROB single handedly tricked the population into thinking the NES was more a traditional toy to get the game industry out of its crash.

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
Just to verify guys, I do not work for Gamespot or IGN or whatever.

And yea, maybe some of these games are good, like Xenoblade which supposedly has gotten pretty good reviews. It's seems like a Nintendo FF (I'm not really about the FF style turn based RPG but i'm not gonna knock it either.)

But the point I'm making is, should you really be excited about these characters in the same way we were all excited when we got Mewtwo, Ganondorf and Falco in Melee or MK, Sonic, Snake and so many other strong, often highly requested and known choices before?

I internally just feel like this edition is going to be alot of R.O.B's and not a whole lot of Mewtwo's. But hey, honestly if they give me Mewtwo back, don't take anyone too important out and give me Megaman I'll be happy.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
@TheTTimeLives
see but that's just u. many people are still excited about the characters who may be added. people want Ridley, Little Mac, K Rool etc. and many are still waiting patiently for new franchises may come up. there is no lack of possibilities for new characters. and i personally was excited about ROB. moreso just cause im old school like that.

oh and Xenoblade isn't turnbased

GetBentSaggy

Smash Apprentice
New characters doesn't require new IPs as clone as they look, act or feel different.

Who cares that K Rool is from DK's universe? Visually, he contrasts all Kongs. His moves are going to be mouth, tail and claw based (I'm thinking a cross between Wolf, Bulbasaur and Bowser) and he'll generally function completely differently from DK.

Nintendo isn't 'running out of characters', they're just avoiding some or choosing not to use others. They can still put in a lot of enemies from original/flagship IPs as characters. They could put in Bowser Jr, for example. They could put in Shadow Mario and have him act completely different from regular Mario - give him the paintbrush, give him a few water based attacks, etc.

Looks don't = clone, movesets do, so there's no need to worry about having ____ in the game because "he's basically just a blue version of ___!"

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Stuff I learned from this thread,

1. Nintendo has been making more franchises than ever

2. Eternal Darkness is one of them. (Not a fan of the game but still interesting)

3. The majority of people seem to be against Balloon Fighter

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I probably won't get excited if neither Little Mac, Takamaru, Chibi-Robo, Shulk, Balloon Fighter, Ridley or K. Rool all somehow don't make the roster.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think there are far more unrepresented franchises than those represented:

IPs that could use a playable character

-Startropics
-Punch Out
-Golden Sun
-Sin & Punishment
-Nazo no Murasame
-Mach Rider
-Urban Champion
-Clu Clu Land
-Balloon Fight/Kid
-Excite Bike/truck/Bots
-Chibi Robo
-Custom Robo
-Air Fortress
-Duck Hunt
-Muddy Mole
-Advance Wars
-Captain Rainbow
-Dillon's Rolling Castle
-Panel de Pon
-Kaeru no Tameni *insert rest here*
-Geist
-Fossil Fighters
-Pro Wrestling
-Joy Mech Fight

Well, off the top of my head at least.

Sakurai has yet to reach the tip of the iceberg of represented IPs in Smash Bros.
3 games and still no Little Mac is a cruel joke IMO. :(

As for Eternal Darkness... Silicon Knights is in very deep sh**, so I don't think Alexandra Roivas nor anything from ED could be represented in SSB4 even if they were 2nd party back then. It's a very gray area in licencing.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Nintendo actually owns the Eternal Darkness IP. So they could add Alexandra.

Seems unlikely though. Given that huge grammatically flawed and list of IPs up there. Speak of the devil, I see Duck Hunt, Mole Mania, and Dillon's Rolling Western the most likely to get new reps.
Above them, because they would be WTF or Retro additions, I think Shulk or some Xenoblade rep and Little Mac are about shoe in.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
We need a new serious rep for the game and Alexandra being Nintendo's first successful horror protag would be a good addition......via DLC.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I agree with you OP, but, not how you think.

For this game, this is a lot to draw on. There is, at least, Xenoblade, The Wii series, Rhythm Heaven and Dillon's Rolling Western. This does not include older series and many of us believe Takamaru will get in as well. There are also second party series, though I'm more doubtful of those. Generally, we have enough for a great game.

Going forward is an issue though. First party titles are far and few between. This is really the last game that can rely on older series and characters. If there are at least three new first party series, then there is no problem. Miyamoto is suppose to be working on a new series. There is also Monolith and Retro who may make a new one as well. Nintendo could also make other series too. Then, there is the potential for Nintendo to buy up someone like Platinum (most likely at this moment). So there is hope, but Nintendo will have to work on making new series.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
There's a ton of choices to choose from, it's basically just their job to find a couple pics of the litter, so to speak

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Don't tell me what will or will not excite me. D:< I can decide that for myself.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want established series better represented before adding new ones. So in that case: **** anything notnyet in Brawl except for Golden Sun. :reverse: Am I selfish? Maybe. Aren't we all? Yes most definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom