• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Giant Falls: Nairo Wins MLG New Orleans!

MLG has once again hosted the event that marked the fall of an undefeated champion. In 2006 PC Chris would be the one to take down Ken in Melee. In 2015 Liquid`Nairo would at MLG New Orleans for their 100th event to finally stop TSM | ZeRo's 50+ tournament win streak. After a crazy run through the bracket including a match against PG | ESAM where Dr. Mario took on Samus MLG New Orleans will mark a new moment in the history of Smash 4. This first year for Smash 4 has been driven by a strong narrative of who would be the first to take down ZeRo. Now it is time for a new story: what new legends will form?

The Final Standings For Smash 4 At MLG New Orleans

Many of the names in these final standings have come against each other many times with varying results. Who knows which may take home the next big major. While ZeRo finally lost today he has still cemented himself as a legend within the Smash community and there is no telling if another winning streak will begin again. "Hope you guys enjoyed watching! It was a ton of fun!" ZeRo said on Twitter. "I'm feeling great actually. I tried my best but it wasn't enough! No shame in that!" Today marks a moment in Smash 4 history and illuminates the fantastic future ahead of the game. Long live Smash 4!

Last edited:

Comments

RIP me. I didn't watch MLG cause I had to study for mid-terms. The one tournament I don't watch and ZeRo gets beat... Oh well I'll watch it on Youtube, good stuff to Nairo and ZeRo as well.

Last edited:
How dare they draw parallels between Ken, who was undefeated for five years, and ZeRo, who has lost sets and now a tournament within a year. Laughing in my seat at the moment.

How dare they draw parallels between Ken, who was undefeated for five years, and ZeRo, who has lost sets and now a tournament within a year. Laughing in my seat at the moment.
Ken was undefeated for longer than ZeRo, but he had close run-ins at times. Zero dominated everywhere he went expect for TBH5 and he still won. Ken was a God for the beginning of Melee and ZeRo is arguably a Sm4sh God. I think there actually is a good comparison between the two.

Congratulations to Nairo for winning this tournament. He set ZeRo straight with that much-needed loss.

That said, both players gave their best in that final fight.

Congrats to nairo on winning MLG , his ZSS was superb, i dont think zero played at his best, at least at the level of TBH5, but the hype was real.

anyways IMO i wonder where this is gonna go, smash4 being a growing gamer community, does it benefit this so called "history" of a guy that cannot be defeated that attract newcomers who sees smash as a casual game and want now to go in the competitive scene, ended finally? i mean zeros win streak was well known for those who didnt even play competitively , for those who play competitively for a long time its alright cause we love smash and want to see someone else on top for a while, but in terms of publicity of the competitive scene mmm. i still hope that smash keeps growing as it has been for the last year and a half.

THE KING HAS BEEN DETHRONED, ALL HAIL OUR NEW LORD LIQUID NAIRO. Seriously though, I knew he could do it he is every bit as skilled as Zero, he just had a bad history of choking in sets against him. Good to see him end Zero's win streak.

Nairo and Zero, two top player who became big in Smash from Brawl.
Maybe people starts to realize the game was technical after all.
orr...maybe, IDK, it has to do with the fact that smash4 and brawl are far far far more similar in their gameplay and mechanics, then melee and brawl are, so brawl players feel right at home, while melee players still can't stand it being slower and non-technical.

Props to them both-Nairo for proving himself to be a truly amazing player once more, and to ZeRo for keeping up that big of a win streak.

More impressive than his winning streak was his better than great attitude after his loss. He's a great player, fun to watch, and a good model for how to accept loss like a winner.

Smash 4 has no future competetively. It's so boring to watch and every (good) character plays basically the same. There are so few mixups in throws and combos and so few movement options it just becomes very flow chart-y.

Last edited:
Top Bottom