• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Giant Falls: Nairo Wins MLG New Orleans!

MLG has once again hosted the event that marked the fall of an undefeated champion. In 2006 PC Chris would be the one to take down Ken in Melee. In 2015 Liquid`Nairo would at MLG New Orleans for their 100th event to finally stop TSM | ZeRo's 50+ tournament win streak. After a crazy run through the bracket including a match against PG | ESAM where Dr. Mario took on Samus MLG New Orleans will mark a new moment in the history of Smash 4. This first year for Smash 4 has been driven by a strong narrative of who would be the first to take down ZeRo. Now it is time for a new story: what new legends will form?

The Final Standings For Smash 4 At MLG New Orleans

Many of the names in these final standings have come against each other many times with varying results. Who knows which may take home the next big major. While ZeRo finally lost today he has still cemented himself as a legend within the Smash community and there is no telling if another winning streak will begin again. "Hope you guys enjoyed watching! It was a ton of fun!" ZeRo said on Twitter. "I'm feeling great actually. I tried my best but it wasn't enough! No shame in that!" Today marks a moment in Smash 4 history and illuminates the fantastic future ahead of the game. Long live Smash 4!

Last edited:

Comments

Aww I missed the whole tournament. Oh well I'll check it out when it comes out on YouTube. Congrats to Nairo!

And to think that prior to this, ZeRo went through the most insane loser's run of his life at Big House 5.

The Sm4sh Grand Finals at MLG will be one of the greatest moments in this game's competitive history. Nairo has ended ZeRo's 50+ tournament streak in the best way possible; resetting the bracket and 2-stocking ZeRo THREE TIMES!!!!

Congrats to both players for this awesome match, Nairo for ending the streak, and to ZeRo for setting up an exciting story for Sm4sh!

D
I knew either Nairo or ESAM would be the ones to take down ZeRo, and now the day's finally come. Congratulations to Nairo, he's a legitimately incredible player and this is no doubt a great achievement for him!

Without a doubt, 2 of the most hype sets of Smash I've ever seen.
Congrats to Nairo on dethroning the king.
GG to Zero for maintaining such an impressive winstreak for so long.

This was an amazing tournament. So happy for Nairo. Happy that the weight has lifted off of Zero's shoulders as well. Also stoked that Georgia's top 3 players made top 12. Major hype.

Nairo and Zero, two top player who became big in Smash from Brawl.
Maybe people starts to realize the game was technical after all.

I expect great things in Sm4sh from all important Brawl players,as Ally and ADHD (at least in the future).
Congrats Nairo, you're insane with that Zero Suit Samus.

Honestly when I saw ZeRo die off the top from the looping hits of Boost Kick it took a good 5 seconds for me to realize what in the world just happened. I always thought Nairo would defeat ZeRo with a Boost Kick, but not like that lol. It's an end of an era folks, now let's see if Nairo, or anyone else for that matter, can do it again.

This was such an amazing tournament. So much character diversity too, we had of course Sheik, ZSS, and Diddy. And for all of Top 12 we had Mario, Sonic, Ike, Megaman, Pikachu, Doc, and Samus! I may be missing a character or two but damn was this so hype to watch.
Congrats to Liquid Nairo for winning MLG and defeating the streak!

Cue all of the For Glory warriors playing as only ZSS now because "omg zss is da noo top tear!!!!!!".

This is a big moment, though. The winds of change might just be starting to blow.

Congrats to Nairo. I didn't watch any of this since it wasn't on twitch and I couldn't use my computer to get to the MLG site, but I'm really wishing I did.

Also. As exciting as it is to have a new champion, I'm almost equally as excited to see Ryo make it to top 8. Can anyone confirm that he was playing Ike in top 8 or was he using other characters?

I couldn't watch the stream for the entire day, so when I finally had the time to look at Twitter and saw that Nairo apparently 3-0ed ESAM with Doc, I was kinda irked at Nairo as an ESAM fanboy since Brawl.

But.... he won against Zero. And I watched that on stream. The end of Zero's streak. The 3-0s. Man, Nairo.
So it all gud.

The end of ZeRo's reign though? I seriously doubt it, lol. He's probably going to go on another winstreak again. But I can imagine the stress that was lifted off of him once the expectation for ZeRo to maintain his winstreak was gone.

What a great day for everyone.

Last edited:
Without a doubt, 2 of the most hype sets of Smash I've ever seen.
Congrats to Nairo on dethroning the king.
GG to Zero for maintaining such an impressive winstreak for so long.
How has he been dethroned?
This is ZeRo's first tournament loss in 2015.
He is far from being dethroned.

I actually will somewhat miss ZeRo's reign since I am so used to it. I am happy that Nairo finally beat him and won a large scale tournament.

Also, cheers to Team Liquid for winning Smash Melee and Smash for Wii U at MLG.

Top Bottom