• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few questions for the PT players

Magik0722

Smash Champion
1. If they samsh DI the first part of the jab then they can powersheil the third hit
2. You shouldn't look at matchups from a PT view but rather from a pokemon to pokemon point of view. here are some i can think of off the top of my head: Ness, Rob, DK, Sonic, Link, Ganon, Zelda, Wolf, Lucas, Mario, and Pikachu.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
To answer the first bit, if I'm not mistaken, holding down on the Control Stick halves the hitstun of anything that doesn't get you off the ground, sort of like a nerfed crouch-cancelling from Melee, so if the opponent does that, it's not a guaranteed combo. It's fast, though, so it's not easy to accomplish on reaction.

I lied, apparently.

The thing is, you can't buffer a move while in jab hitstun, so you can always shield the second jab, but you have to be really accurate about the shield timing.

Take that, 1950's society!

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Who does Wario have problems with? I'm pretty sure Trainer does better against Luigi. Probably better against Dedede too. Other than that I have no idea who Wario would need a secondary for. If you let us know that would help.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
you can SDI out of the second jab too to avoid getting hit by the third

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There aren't really any matchups outside of Meta Knight that I feel are specifically in either character's favor. Outside of Wario's incredibly-advantageous matchups (with his chaingrab, mostly), I think they're pretty interchangeable, except for Meta Knight, and maybe Marth and Falco. Squirtle plays very similarly, and the overall matchup chart for PT is pretty solid--there aren't any terrible matchups outside of Meta Knight and maybe Marth.

That's why I usually pick either Wario or Pokemon Trainer out of whim, rather than matchups, unless I got destroyed the previous game.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Trainer does fairly well against Olimar. Squirtle is advantaged 60:40 and Ivy may be advantaged slightly. Charizard is OK. Neutral to a slight Olimar advantage. Dunno if they're better than Wario but they're decent against Olimar.

For Pit Squirtle is very good, Ivy about neutral, Charizard is at a disadvantage. PT is ok to use here if you're having problems with Wario in this match.

I'd go Wario over PT for Diddy, Marth, and G&W.

Personally I think Trainer also does well against Tlink, Ness/Lucas, Link (but who doesn't?), Peach, Donkey (Ivy and Zard are great here. Squirtle not so much. He can rack up damage but gets KOed at like 50), Fox and Wolf. Anyways as Reflex said MK and Marth are the only really bad matchup. I'd also definitely go Wario instead of PT vs Falco, Wario, or G&W but those matchups are hardly unwinnable and with matchup experience (They probably know Wario better than trainer) you may be able to do better with Trainer.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah pt does well vs olimar.

both characters get ***** by marth, i think.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
yeah pt does well vs olimar.

both characters get ***** by marth, i think.
Wario is listed as 60:40 against Marth on their forums. I'd have thought it'd be worse due to range/grab release shenanigans but thats what they say.

T-block

B2B TST
MK, Marth, GaW, Falco, Kirby

Those are the five I would consider choosing a character other than PT for, although Kirby is too terrible I guess.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
MK, Marth, GaW, Falco, Kirby

Those are the five I would consider choosing a character other than PT for, although Kirby is too terrible I guess.
Kirby is a slight disadvantage. Zard goes about even and Squirtle is 45:55ish. Ivy is the only one that has problems.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Re-read my first post. Also--

Thanks Reflex, I just started PT but I'll keep working until I can just pick either PT or Wario out of whim like that, that's a good goal to have in mind I guess. You know, you're my smash role model so I'm going to blame you if playing PT ends up being a bad decision for me :laugh:

Tien: Thanks for the info.
It'll take a while, and you might have certain matchups that you prefer; everyone's different. Took me a while to get to that point comfortably, but I believe I really am about as comfortable with both characters now...maybe even PT-inclined. Still, if you like learning, there's always something new to learn with PT, so that should be fun for you.

If you have any questions, feel free to talk to me sometime--I'd be happy to answer them directly. Anything for a fellow player. :)

Top Bottom