• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A falco player desperate for advice

Reapersxbane

Smash Rookie
alright i mainly play as falco and i have alot of problems with how i play
-i cant wavedash
-im horrable with the shl
-i cant spike well
-and i cant piller well (they get out of it easy)

i need some advice and some ideas on how to play better

thanks in advanced

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Use the hyperbolic time chamber, that's what I did a few minutes ago.

But seriously, learn why you need them first. So you don't get distracted by them later.

Rian

Smash Cadet
Use the hyperbolic time chamber, that's what I did a few minutes ago.

But seriously, learn why you need them first. So you don't get distracted by them later.
What he says, and afterwards what me says. Although it is tough to understand why and when if you are unable to put it to the test.

Anyways, good luck!

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
From my experience, when you start to learn advanced techniques your overall skill falls dramatically. This is because you focus all of your thinking on doing these things and you can't think about anything else during the match. Eventually when you learn how to do these things without thinking you will see yourself dramatically improving... Just practice whenever you have nothing to do. You don't even need to practice alot.

Yesterday I was trying to learn to multi shine with fox (for fun) and after 15 minutes I was able to do like 9 multishines. I'm able to consistantly do 3. Just spend some time working on these things and you will get better at them with time.

Also try to play with people that are better than you. That way you will be forced to play your best or be so nervous that you will get destroyed. Either way, you will get used to the pressure of playing better players which is something everyone needs to get used to. Most of the time people aren't THAT much better and being nervous is only gonna make you play worse.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
-i cant wavedash
-i cant spike well

thanks in advanced
you already got your list of things to work on.

Filthee

Smash Rookie
-i cant wavedash
-i cant spike well

thanks in advanced
you not being able to wavedash isnt really falco specific so ill let you figure that one out by yourself.

You can practice SHL quite easily by just going into training mode, if you can short hop you can pretty much shl, you just need to practice moving forward, backwards, and switching directions. (go http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=54145 if you want to learn how to shl like a boss)

"cant spike well" is very odd to me. on the level it sounds like you are playing him, you should pick up spiking pretty quickly since the people you are playing wont really have tactics against it. I would say watch some videos and learn how to space well enough so that you cant let them do anything but get spiked. watch videos to pick up ideas on how to do that. a great video to see spiking being thrown out like confetti is: Happy Feet 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7DHr7C_U8A maybe not the best starting video, but it is packed full of spiking to give you ideas and help you learn the spacing. (again you can learn a lot of these things in more detail by going to http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=54145)

at the level of play you are at i would wait on learning to pillar aggressively until you have things like wavedashing and SHL on lock. since you will be doing a lot of SHFFL'd moves and waveshines and such.

honestly, what is most important for you to practice right now is short hopping in combat because that is the building block of competitive falco play and make sure you have good spacing. everything else will come with time and practice.

last but not least,

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203781

^this thread is your bible on how to play falco ^. Think of Mogwai as the Obi-Wan to your fresh budding little b*tch luke skywalker. you may not understand things he says but he definitely knows what he is talking about.

i hope i answered your questions well enough and didnt make myself look like a f*cking moron in the process. Good luck in your ventures as a falcon with a laser gun and space boots

-Filthee

Halloween

Smash Cadet
Sometimes falco gives me trouble with WDing. I dont know why. I WD 100% perfect with every other character, its just falco that i tend to mess up on. Everything else i have down perfect.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Sometimes falco gives me trouble with WDing. I dont know why. I WD 100% perfect with every other character, its just falco that i tend to mess up on. Everything else i have down perfect.
if you do it fine with every other character, just pretend you're Mewtwo and stop pretending you're Fox. It's 2 frames slower than Fox's

uberplasticcup

Smash Rookie
-i cant wavedash
-i cant spike well

thanks in advanced
Keep doing it. The only way you're going to get better at something is constantly doing it. Every pro didn't pick up their controller and magically gain tech skill.

SSBA

Smash Rookie
spikeing with falco...oh the goodness, its easy if u short hop then d air, the hit box for spick with him is huge.
most epic spike with falco (since i have no doubt he has the best spike in melee)
gannon with 50%, down from the middle of FD..it almost cried it was so unexpected.
also, a down throw followed immediately by a dsmash can quickly come in handy in setting up a good spike
hope i helped.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
spikeing with falco...oh the goodness, its easy if u short hop then d air, the hit box for spick with him is huge.
most epic spike with falco (since i have no doubt he has the best spike in melee)
gannon with 50%, down from the middle of FD..it almost cried it was so unexpected.
also, a down throw followed immediately by a dsmash can quickly come in handy in setting up a good spike
hope i helped.
what... the... ****...

Turazrok

Smash Master
hope i helped.
Marth's spike is pretty good. And it ***** falco's amateur recovery.

Falcade

Smash Cadet
Practice! I never thought I would get to where I was now, but then I just started practicing my tech skill daily, worked on my combo's, SHL's, EVERYTHING.

You have to be patient and it will take time, getting good at this game and learning advanced techniques takes time and dedication. Read guides, watch videos, play others. As for in-debth instructions there are many guides in this forum to make you play Falco like a bawse.

Top Bottom