• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

a couple of tips for noobs who know advanced techs but still never win

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dunno, most of you don't need this, but this is just somethings I've noticed in my own experience. i'm not like really good or anything, but i saw a pretty drastic improvement after I realized these tips. This is intended for people who are pure noobs like people that don't really win that much.

If you're like me, you learned about all the advanced techniques, and then went back to play your friends and you noticed that you really weren't doing THAT much better against them, and you're like wtf. Thing is advanced techs don't win you the game. learning when to use them does. But here are things that help you win.

1. Learn the game. Like learn percentages, learn what combos work on what characters. Learn it all. A good way to start is to use training mode, but a better way is to find someone to play with who knows how to DI. For example you can pretty much 0-death falco on some stages if you're good at DI chasing with Marth. but if you never knew that, you wouldn't even try to do it.

2. Have a plan. Don't just say, i'm going to just keep attacking. Have a plan. Your plan changes depending on who you're fighting. It's okay if its a bad plan, just have a plan, and if it doesn't work, find out why, and fix it next time. and keep doing that until you stop losing lol. Have a plan for all situations. Like if they jump, what are you going to do. How are you going to edgeguard. What will do when they have high percents. Notice, doing #1 (learning the game) is pretty necessary before you can make a good plan. If they sheidl what will you do. Like I play marth. Against Fox, the plan is to get into a grab, and go for chaingrabs. edgeguarding with down tilt and edgehops or fsmashes... i know the game is very variable and situations change, but you should have an idea.

3. Don't get hit. I never really understood isai's advice until now. when you get hit, that' s a bad thing. Especially against certain characters like Fox, who can turn a simple dair into a waveshine waveshine grab upthrow upair ftw...or sheik who can ftilt ftilt fair ftw. Don't get hit. It seems easier said than done, but not really. Well I mean, obviously you're going to get hit, but you should focus on limiting it. To do this just don't play stupid.

3a. Ways to not get hit #1: Don't be obvious/Don't attack the air. If you're marth, there's no reason to just throw out a random Fsmash for no reason. That's a good way to get hit. Alot of people do this. Just attack and hope it connects. That's not a good way to play. Also, don't just jump at people. That's a good way to get hit. aerial attacks are generally easy to counter. You should always have a reason to do any attack or maneuver on the game, and "it might hit them" is not a good reason. Think about WHY you're doing the attacks you're doing. Don't pick Falcon and make your approach to try and short hop knee. No one's going to fall for that. You're going to get hit. Use set ups for your strong moves. Or reserve your strong moves for when your opponent has made a mistake.

3b. Ways to not get hit #2: Learn your 'safe" moves. Every character has moves that are more or less "safe" to do without too much punishment. These are usually the moves that are used for "approach" and to set up for more high risk moves. For example, Falco has the ultimate safe move which is the SHL. it is very hard to punish a SHL. Falco's side-B, however, is a very unsafe move. You will almost certainly be punished if you spammed this move. A good way to learn these moves is to watch videos of good people. This is why C-stick marths, and C-stick Peaches don't do well competitively. Smash Attacks are almost invariably unsafe. Sometimes with a wavedash applies they can be more safe, but generally smash attacks are reserved for times when the opponent is unaware or vulnerable. Projectiles are almost always "safe'. Another thing to remember is that just because a move connect doesn't mean its safe. A good example of this is the UpB move. These moves are almost always unsafe to use as attacks, because even if you connect with them, the extreme lag they have make them punishable. I know a Luigi Player who constantly attacks with side-B, which not a very good idea, because that move is not safe, even if it connects.

4. Learn character specific strategies and use them. If you play Falco, you should be SHLing and pillaring. I mean, when you can win a tourney without doing this manuevers let me know, but until then these are just tried and true techniques that work. You don't have to copy Forward's entire play style, but if you notice, Forward, PC Chris, DaShizWiz and all Falcos have varying playstyles, you can tell them apart, but one thing they all do is pillar and SHL. Every character has strategies. And if you find a new strategy, that's great, use it if it works. Just make sure you use it. "Hitting" the opponent is not enough. Sure you can F-smash with Marth, but they can recover from that at lower percentages. Instead, why not SHDF them and finish with a Ken combo? Sometimes these character specific strategies require significant tech skill, but a lot of times they don't. Most non-competitive Fox players don't know about the Upthrow to Upair, and its not hard to do at all, and it makes a noob Fox like ten times better. If you play fox you should be upthrowing to upair. No question. This forum has forums for every character, use them for ideas. A better idea is to go to tournaments and get advice from the people who are whipping your ***. If you main strategy consists of dash dancing until i can grab or f-smash them. you need to go back to the drawing board.

The last tip that i'll give to struggling noobs is this:
5. Edgeguard. Agressively. If you don't edgeguard, you won't win, ever. If you edgeguard bad, you probably won't win. Generally, waiting at the edge and F-smashing when they get close enough is NOT a good way to edgeguard. It works for Marth vs. like Falcon sometimes, but for most characters this won't work. Learn what your characters good edgeguards are. Doc's Bair is great for edgeguarding, for example. use ledgehops if your character is good with those. Some characters aren't too good with ledgehops like Roy, Ness, or Zelda...but some are great like Sheik and Marth. Grab that edge! Edgehogs account for maybe 50 percent of all kills in this game. Get on the ledge, Unless you're playing Peach or Jigglypuff, you probably need to get on the ledge. If you're opponent is helpless (like after an up b), and their only chance of survival is grabbing the edge, you'd better get there first. and even in cases where they have a choice of either grabbing the ledge or going on the stage, MAKE them go on the stage, get on that edge! Then alot of times you can just hop on the stage and do your CHARACTER SPECIFIC COMBOS to take advantage of their landing lag,

i dunno hope this helps. I had to learn all this the hard way, and this has really helped me cross that bridge into really playing competitively.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Wow, you deserve a medal. And number 3 has always struck a chord in my heart.

Yeah, the plan with people these days is there inability to think ahead. As a good chess player I know how to plan ahead of the move my opponent is planning when I make a new move, so I can punish my opponent for being a 'one-step-at-a-time' kind of guy.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Yeah I'd probably get owned pretty bad if I ever played someone besides my two crappy friends (the ones that play SSBM) One of them constantly insists on being people he has no idea how to use (I guess that's everyone so I should cut him some slack) and the other is the perfect stereotypical Fsmash Marth.

I like the "don't get hit thing" though. I'll have to remember that.

SlyShadow

Smash Rookie
....I have the feeling if I played outside of my local area I'd run away crying like a flat chested school girl....

Betrayed

Smash Ace
Sadly, it is. My friend used to counterpick my Marth with everything he could. He's down to his last character he can dominate me with and I'm closing the gap >:o

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Wow, you deserve a medal. And number 3 has always struck a chord in my heart.

Yeah, the plan with people these days is there inability to think ahead. As a good chess player I know how to plan ahead of the move my opponent is planning when I make a new move, so I can punish my opponent for being a 'one-step-at-a-time' kind of guy.
exactly.
and once you get good at not getting hit, you see your result get much better like instantly
i encourage people to try out these tips.

i admit though, i'm still guilty of not following my own advice when I play certain characters, like my falco is just an offensive powerhouse, i have no regard for my own safety when i'm playing falco lol but i guess with falco you have a lot of leeway

shinkazenokizzu

Smash Apprentice
another tip would be to realize that your game is not perfect and you still have ways to go before you really master the game. personally i try to record my matches and see what i am doing wrong and try to improve it=/

4 Aces

Smash Ace
These tips may feel basic, but it really is important to learn and master. A medal is deserved here. Maybe even stickied? Yeah, I probably suck since there's no opponents other than a training mode computer, my sister who's non-competitive Sheik is dead-even (perhaps better) with my advanced tech Fox, and a couple of noob friends who I haven't played since summer.

I wish I have a camera.....

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Getting your *** whooped over and over again is probably the best way to get better :-D
Dead wrong. Where is this stuff coming from? Dylan_tnga said this too...

It's actually much better to train with a person who is much better, but have them teach you ideals about the higher level of the game, and then having the pupil go out and try their skills against people of a closer level to them. That's the best way for smashers to develop and eventually a community. Constantly getting ***** can't really produce much.

I say this: the most learning comes from playing CLUTCH in CLOSE tournament matches.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Dead wrong. Where is this stuff coming from? Dylan_tnga said this too...

It's actually much better to train with a person who is much better, but have them teach you ideals about the higher level of the game, and then having the pupil go out and try their skills against people of a closer level to them. That's the best way for smashers to develop and eventually a community. Constantly getting ***** can't really produce much.

I say this: the most learning comes from playing CLUTCH in CLOSE tournament matches.
Nah. Playing against people who are the same skill level as you doesn't help you at all. You don't get better. How can you? You're not being challenged. That's like saying you can get better at math by continually doing addition problems over and over again. No you have to venture into algebra and trig and calculus. If you learn how to beat someone, playing them over and over again won't help you get better. You'll stay at the same level because you're not being challenged, why would you use new techniques, YOU DON'T HAVE TO! Why would you develop your tech skill, YOU DON'T HAVE TO! In the case of playing someone much better than you, though, you are FORCED to develop your skills and learn new techniques, if you are at all concerned with winning.

Saying "constantly getting ***** doesn't produce much" is frankly wrong, because I am a living counter example to that argument.
I've been playing competitively for less than two years and my improvement has been tremendous in a very short time, due almost SOLELY to playing against and learning with people who are much better than me. Just being AROUND people that good can make you better, you pick up strategies just from listening to them and watching them play. And you learn how to deal with good people, and how to counter the techniques that people in the tournaments are using.

j00t

Smash Champion
Why's that? This is good advice for everyone on this board. The way we play the game and the way we play the game in our heads is completely different. This just shows that you're playing the game better than I am.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Why's that? This is good advice for everyone on this board. The way we play the game and the way we play the game in our heads is completely different. This just shows that you're playing the game better than I am.
hmmm, well i wish that translated better to the results of matches I play against you :-D

j00t

Smash Champion
You'll start kicking my butt sooner or later, you're getting better at a much faster pace than I am IMO.

Sensei Hanzo

Smash Cadet
Nah. Playing against people who are the same skill level as you doesn't help you at all. You don't get better. How can you? You're not being challenged. That's like saying you can get better at math by continually doing addition problems over and over again. No you have to venture into algebra and trig and calculus. If you learn how to beat someone, playing them over and over again won't help you get better. You'll stay at the same level because you're not being challenged, why would you use new techniques, YOU DON'T HAVE TO! Why would you develop your tech skill, YOU DON'T HAVE TO! In the case of playing someone much better than you, though, you are FORCED to develop your skills and learn new techniques, if you are at all concerned with winning.

Saying "constantly getting ***** doesn't produce much" is frankly wrong, because I am a living counter example to that argument.
I've been playing competitively for less than two years and my improvement has been tremendous in a very short time, due almost SOLELY to playing against and learning with people who are much better than me. Just being AROUND people that good can make you better, you pick up strategies just from listening to them and watching them play. And you learn how to deal with good people, and how to counter the techniques that people in the tournaments are using.
Your analogy's off. A more accurate analogy is that playing people that are way better than you is like trying to learn Calc when you're still supposed to only be on addition. Granted, practicing addition forever will never make you good at Calculus, but that's why after you've mastered that skill you move on to something else. No one ever said that as your skill improved from fighting less potent opponents that you couldn't move on to fighting better people. It's sort of hard to learn how to play when you can barely get a hit in and are constantly getting combo'd. If that worked for you, then great. I just don't think it necessarily works for everyone.

Besides that, your guide had some pretty good info. I'll be sure to keep some of that in mind.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I think the most true thing about which opponents to play against is this. . . . . . . Play as many different people as you can. From scrubs, to peers, to people slightly better or worse, to pros or whatever. The people who are better than you penalize you for not playing as smart so you realize the mistakes you make as you play. They also serve as a . The scrubs are their to show why things like spacing, mindgames, DI, and other stuff are. It helps you visualize what makes players better than others and helps you with trying to predict opponent weakness with easier to see examples of weakness. Peers help in motivation by trying to make each other better as each of you improve in attempt to beat another (as long as it is truly equal).

After playing lots of different opponents, you will be used to more styles so you won't encounter things you haven't seen before and will be better at reading an opponents style from the get go. Did I ever meet you Janitor when I went up to Huntsville?

Binx

Smash Master
The point where you get much better at the game is when you are so confortable with your character their movements and all of their abilities that you can just watch your opponent closely the entire time and think what options does he have, and what can I do to stop the one I think he will do.

Example: I am playing as Ice Climbers against Fox, he full jumps

He can:
  • Do an aerial
  • Waveland
  • Double Jump
  • Airdodge
I can counter his aerial by dash dancing into a grab, I can counter his waveland but wavedashing with good spacing and grab as soon as he gets there, I can jump and do a uair if I anticipate the double jump, I can grab after he lands if he airdodges.

When a fox jumps I know his options and if I predict him correctly and pick the right one then I get to punish him. If I pick wrong then I probably get punished. But if the fox is very hard to predict I only have a 25% chance of being right which is why sometimes it is important to just be patient and wait for them to miss and do a punish that you can just react to w/o prediction.

You get less and less situations where they actually do moves that are easily punishable the higher up in play you get. All in all it's just an immalgimation of your experiences that tell you what options both players have in a certain circumstance, the more creative you are as a player the more options you have that your opponent wont know how to counter.

Just learn your character.

Smash Master
I don't understand the "don't get hit" thing. Crouch cancelling certain areials leads into devastating combos, because the opponent suffers hitlag from their attack.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Keep in mind this guide DOES have a target audience, and is not appropriate advice for all players.

Top Bottom