• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A couple of things I do as Diddy that I haven't heard of others doing

Cuccu Maestro

Smash Cadet
I mostly want to know if this is being done by other Diddy players, and the second technique I want to know if it'll ever be useful, even just to take one stock only, one day in a tournament.
Now, I am not near a wii currently but bear with me, I'll edit this later after some testing if necessary.

The first thing I found to be useful quite often is approaching with banana in hand, shorthopping over and through my opponent, z-dropping or throwing the banana straight down into their shield (I think z drop is better for this because it won't bounce on their shield?) and following up with almost always a Bair, although sometimes I find I've aimed the banana in a certain way which forces me to use a different aerial. It is easy to spot when a different aerial is necessary.
So, once again, approach with a run, sh, z-drop, bair.
I believe I usually throw the banana down instead of z-dropping it if they aren't blocking...
>< Argh maybe I always throw the banana down?!
I find I can use it quite often, because many opponents have been conditioned to simply block diddy's banana approach because he cannot grab. This tactic seems to punish this train of thought accordingly, and I find I am in a favourable position after where I know where my banana is and what their options are fairly well.
I use this very often against MK, although I suppose an MK who was on the ball could shuttle loop outta shield against it early on.
Does my explanation of this tactic make sense? Please post questions for clarification, or your thoughts on this.
Once again I'd like to apologize if this is terribly old news.

The second tactic is fairly similar to the first. I've practiced it against MK but I can't remember if it works when he's blocking.
If MK is on the edge of the stage, close enough to the edge that he'll trip off the side if hit by a banana, you can do that last tactic but follow up with a Dair instead (offstage) and spike him, killing him at above 40% or so IIRC.
This is obviously very situational, as the placement of MK relative to the edges of the stage is pretty strict.

Anyways, sorry for the huge confusing post, hopefully this'll make sense to someone, and hopefully I haven't forgotten some important detail of pulling tactic #1 off.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
all I know is, first technique won't work because a good mk(or any other good player), will barely shield a diddy that is approaching with a banana. They will either short hop aerial dodge, or most likely do an aerial, and catch your banana and hit you at the same time. This may of course work on a less agressive person, but most people won't fall for the first technique.

I can't say much about the 2nd technique, but if i remember, I don't think a character can "trip" off the stage, they can only fall off if they get hit with the banana if that is what you mean. but I can be wrong.

Cuccu Maestro

Smash Cadet
all I know is, first technique won't work because a good mk(or any other good player), will barely shield a diddy that is approaching with a banana. They will either short hop aerial dodge, or most likely do an aerial, and catch your banana and hit you at the same time. This may of course work on a less agressive person, but most people won't fall for the first technique.
Sorry, I kind of sold it as a mind-gamey type approach, but that's not really how I use it. I don't really mean that they will see you with a banana and just shield your approach, and you rely on that and use this approach instead. I meant more that you can use it situationally once you've already forced them to be on the defensive.
I don't seem to have too hard of a time getting it to work, and my opponents, while not world-class, are more than competent enough to destroy this tactic before I would even think to post it here if it were that shallow.

For the spike combo, I don't really expect it to be all that usable, it's more that the reward is great enough that getting it off even once against a real opponent would be good. I more wanted to see if it's usable enough for a competent player to EVER get hit by it.

I do the first all the time.
Alright, thank you for confirming.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
no, its ok I understand its uses, and it is useful, probably very good as a surprise attack, but I said what I said because there are some players out there that are very aggro; types that rarely block, and do dodges, and instead do some type of lagless move. to these types of people, you may get punished instead of getting them. still nice tech though :]

Cuccu Maestro

Smash Cadet
no, its ok I understand its uses, and it is useful, probably very good as a surprise attack, but I said what I said because there are some players out there that are very aggro; types that rarely block, and do dodges, and instead do some type of lagless move. to these types of people, you may get punished instead of getting them. still nice tech though :]
That's true, and I could also see it falter if your opponent was dead set on catching your banana although even then they'd have to be used to seeing this approach.

sai_:)

Smash Ace
I do the first thing every once in a while. If it bounces off shield I can instant throw it back down again onto the shield.

any how approaching with a banana in hand isnt a bad thing at all.

In fact if you just walk up to someone with a banana in hand a lot of people shield when you get close (for some dumb *** reason) and you can get a free face hump out of it.(trick ally told me to try)

Camping them is usually better but if you are going to approach having a banana in hand is the way to do it

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I do the first thing every once in a while. If it bounces off shield I can instant throw it back down again onto the shield.

any how approaching with a banana in hand isnt a bad thing at all.

In fact if you just walk up to someone with a banana in hand a lot of people shield when you get close (for some dumb *** reason) and you can get a free face hump out of it.(trick ally told me to try)

Camping them is usually better but if you are going to approach having a banana in hand is the way to do it
I never thought about the hump :O. that would've helped me a looot yesturday. lol

sai_:)

Smash Ace
Thats what i said when he told me about it lol...kinda made me feel stupid for not thinking about it

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
woah i did not know about this. This is a really good find, i'm going to use it in my gameplay.

TreK

Is "that guy"
walking is probably the move I use the least with Diddy. Tchhhh T_T

The second part of the op... Doesn't work with me... I mean, it looks like the followup originally found for a SNL, but all my CPUs grab the ledge before getting spiked. What exactly am I doing wrong ?

Cuccu Maestro

Smash Cadet
I think it has to do with placement of the cpu metaknight. I did it on FD and used a marker on the stage to help.
I also remember having to hold right on the analog stick and basically mash down on the c-stick for both the banana throw and the dair, until I got the timing down.

Top Bottom