• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A couple general things re: platforms

St. Viers

Smash Champion
A friend recently astutely pointed out I don't play enough on stages such as Battlefield and FoD. I would stick to FD and PS.

So having nothing better do do, I spent the next few days playing around on the small platform stages that I usually suck on. I found a couple of things that I think are not character exclusive, but really help my docs platform game/game on smaller stages/ games against faster characters. Not sure how extensively these have been discussed, but throwing them out there.

Feel free to discuss, point out that they are stupid, and all that stuff :)

1. Wavelanding: gets you across the platform, gives you your jump back, and allows for more attacks. A couple funny things I noticed though:
---If you WD forward, you enter the tumbling animation, if you WD back you just fall off. This means you can autoshield by WDing forward into a platform edge, and holding L/R. Doesn't matter the distance, as long as its within the WD, and you don't continue holding a direction. If you hold a direction you just fall off.
---I noticed that sometimes you can get it do you fall and get the green hitting the ground, letting you become invincible while standing back up. I don't know how exactly it works (except it has to do with falling off the ledge while staggering, but without cleanly falling) Fun to do, and occasionally useful. Anyone knows exactly how I'd love to know :)

2. Platform canceling #1: I can't do this all the time (not sure exactly how it works) but when you do an attack through the platform and you land on it and it autocancels the lag. This one can search for for more detail, but very useful to u-air through a platform and land almost immediately.

3. Platform canceling #2. Thanks to Doc's relative lack of traction, when he lands from a jump and is drifting he will slide a little ways. If you do this and slide off a platform, you cancel all lag, and get your jump back. I find that using this has really improved my playing. Mindgames and practical use. Works best with n-airs and b-airs, IMO.

4. Dropping through and coming back up halfway through. Very useful mindgame, but self explanatory.

Yeah these are probably already known, but throwing them out there; sorry if I'm being n00b by not just automatically thinking of these :(

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Imo viers, platforms are helpful to Dr if your not on them but under them. They can be good for getting your opponent on them for uairs and bairs but he is weakish on the platforms so it's not really worth it

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
---I noticed that sometimes you can get it do you fall and get the green hitting the ground, letting you become invincible while standing back up. I don't know how exactly it works (except it has to do with falling off the ledge while staggering, but without cleanly falling) Fun to do, and occasionally useful. Anyone knows exactly how I'd love to know :)
I don't know how you do it going forward, but I know if you hold shield while WDing off backwards, you'll tumble off.
3. Platform canceling #2. Thanks to Doc's relative lack of traction, when he lands from a jump and is drifting he will slide a little ways. If you do this and slide off a platform, you cancel all lag, and get your jump back. I find that using this has really improved my playing. Mindgames and practical use. Works best with n-airs and b-airs, IMO.
I don't know if you've seen Phanna's edge-cancelling video (phannacies and phannatic on youtube) and if you haven't, go watch them. The reason I like FoD with Doc is because that when the platforms are in their lower positions (not necessarily lowest), I can pull off three aerials in rapid succession. Including three f-airs, but that's mostly useless.

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
Yea i find the platforms extremely useful when i play doc unless i am playing against a marth...then i find them REALLY annoying...

Top Bottom