• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A clueless new Marth :P

lolshined

Smash Rookie
Well now. I'm not new to the "competative" nature of smash, but i've only been to one turny :[. Most of my practice has been with friends and my trusty training mode.

to sum it up, i can drive now and i wana start spending my weed money on smash turny's

but I know my marth blows.

hints, pointers, combos, throw anything at me. even pointless comments where you just make fun of me and tell me to quit smash bros, i love those

Marth (Kaze [aka me]) vs. Samus (Kami)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBl-uD86D8

Eric Sayzzz is my AIM. if you accutally wana play me and you live in oregon, aim me :D

Darkwyveryn

Smash Rookie
Marth is good for luring people in and is good in the air. Most opponents will forgett just how long that sword reaches.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Well now. I'm not new to the "competative" nature of smash, but i've only been to one turny :[. Most of my practice has been with friends and my trusty training mode.

to sum it up, i can drive now and i wana start spending my weed money on smash turny's

but I know my marth blows.

hints, pointers, combos, throw anything at me. even pointless comments where you just make fun of me and tell me to quit smash bros, i love those

Marth (Kaze [aka me]) vs. Samus (Kami)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBl-uD86D8

Eric Sayzzz is my AIM. if you accutally wana play me and you live in oregon, aim me :D
Geez...does EVERYBODY wavedash quicker and better than me? T_T....

Anyway, you're...really not all that clueless. You seem pretty good to me, just need to pay a bit more attention to spacing. Thats the only flaw I saw. Otherwise, just keep practicing.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Marth is good for luring people in and is good in the air. Most opponents will forgett just how long that sword reaches.
No they don't. Most good opponents know exactly how far Marth reaches, mostly from personal experience. You'll find that they stop underestimating your range pretty quickly and they keep a safe distance. They also start to play very defensive for awhile so that they can measure exactly how far your attacks reach so that they can counter attack later on.

lolshined

Smash Rookie
Yeah, i've herd alot about the spacing, and i've been mostly been concentrating on tiping people with the end of marths sword.

I also came across pivoting. I've only managed to pull it off once in a match, but it was pretty much blind luck from me trying to accutaly do it cuz i havn't mastered it haha

and Sonic Wave is right. the people i play have started to get very defensive when playing me, and using every opertunity to get inside my sword they can get. in fact i got lured a few times.

for example id go in with a sffl fair and it would simply get CC'ed and i'd find myself in a very very bad postition.

THATS another thing i really need help with. from 0% i can't do anything. I havn't discovered a way to effectively get soemones percent up without gettting CC'ed and having my offensive turn into my own death

help pwweeez ><

lolshined

Smash Rookie
awsome. thanks for the link, i'll try those next match i have.

one more thing though. How do you edge guard a samus that can flawlessly recover? meaning he always grapples to the ledge getting the frew frames of invincibilty.

When I jump of to grap the ledge, the grapply knockes me back off. and when i try to jump back on to ledge guard, my opponet is already safe on the ledge or back in control of the stage. ALSO in marth dittos, or when fighting roy. how do you edgeguard when you dont' have the tip to grap the ledge, or do that thing where you put up your shield and shark the edge from the recoverer. sorry, i forgot what its called ><

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
For lolshined:

From what it sounds like he always does the perfect grapple onto the ledge. If you know this its a simple matter to learn the timing to hit them out of his airdodge. You can do this by ledgehogging and waiting for the dodge, or just dashing off and fairing him one way or another. The best thing to do would be to find a good way to pressure him where he does his airdodge. He should start varying his recovery soon enough, then you will have to adapt to that.

And your marth and roy question, you can edgeguard with the Fsmash,dtilt even with their upBs. Just space yourself, Marth never needs to be right next to the edge. You can F-smash there upBs if they aren't sweetspotting by staying a few steps back from the ledge. And if your at lower percentages, you can cc the upB and dtilt them.

As for the lightshield hog technique, you just roll towards the edge lightshield and hold down and away from the stage. And when the upB hits you let go of everything. You can't do this to Roy with Marth if he sweetspots, I'm not so sure Marth vs Marth. I used to think that as long as you sweetspot with Marth, Marth couldn't do it to you. But if you can fastfall the tumble after the upB hits you, you might be able to get the edge before them.

yo

Cut through or wave dash away from falling bombs. When you just chill in your shield you are way to vulnerable. For example see 3:14.

if you are having trouble with samus recovery, try hitting samus up. She is weakest that way, like peach. Marth isnt the best at hitting up, but a tipped up tilt will clock out samus pretty fast.
Or
Try doing marth's reflect move on a level parallel with samus so her grapple beam hits you and you knock her away. If she is close enough it will hit her. maybe not kill her, but at least mess up her recovery. And if you get the invisible ceiling glitch, they will be toast. you should be up high enough that the second jump and up b will get you to the ledge far faster than samus. you can even fast fall into the grapple beam as long as you get the recovery move off in time because it slows your fall. it is best to fall off the stage to get to the position opposed to ledge hogging because then your sword will face samus and not the stage.

At 2:34 samus charges a smash. as soon as you see any character do this camp out of range enough for a front smash tipper and hit them right after they attack.

Kefka

Smash Apprentice
whereabouts in oregon do you live? Me and my bro, and a few others are here in euegene and we smash all the time...

Not a bad marth! First thing that comes off the top of my head is just basic stuff like paying more attnetion to your opponents attacks and how they might hit you rather than just trying to hit them. Couldn't hurt to brush up on technical stuff as well. I play mostly marth and falco, as well as some samus and falcon. We should get together to play sometime!

[Edit] oh yeah, dtilt more, it owns :)

Top Bottom