• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Bit Worried About Online Play...

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Having more freedom is great and all, but choosing between For Fun and For Glory made things simple and easy. I feel like the new online feautures may make things a bit too random. Some of you have seen my postings about proposed changes to team battles in For Glory (stock and team attack on) but this feels like it's going in the opposite direction. I don't want to complain because I haven't played it yet, but this just seems overly complicated for no reason. Maybe it won't be so bad when we actually play it, but having too many options may be a bad thing (makes it harder to find ideal matches for example) but who knows, maybe that high ELO mode or whatever will be the way to go. Thoughts?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The Smash playerbase will almost assuredly be big enough to support reliable matchmaking with like-minded people for the most common rulesets. If you want 1v1, stock, no items, there will be no shortage of people who want the same. Likewise if you want FFA with items, you'll hardly be alone.

It'll be the weird combinations that end up being hard to match together, like an FFA with stocks and items but on Omegas only, for example.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
You can also make your own public lobby too with the rules you want too.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious if they have indicated that the game will have dedicated servers or not.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm curious if they have indicated that the game will have dedicated servers or not.
They didn't mention it but their talk about proximity to other players only makes sense if it's P2P so I'd assume they're using that model. IIRC it's what they did for 4, but I could be mistaken.

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
It sounds weird to me too, but yeah, there should be more than enough players to fill my competitive needs.

I'm also concerned about the Global Smash Power being used for rankings. I'd prefer a "For Glory" type mode with it's own ranking and tiers rather than this weird number that also used single player mode results (in Smash 4 at least, hopefully they've tweaked it)?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Alright I just rewatched the online trailer and I'm much less worried. I paid much closer attention to the exact words they used and it seems like you will always be matched with people that choose exactly the same ruleset as you unless no one else in the world is doing that. Still, I just hope team attack on is an option for team battles. I'll still miss the cesspool that was For Glory though...I really loved the toxicity and general trash talking, it was pretty fun.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
I am also worried that Team Attack is off since I didn't see an option for it, but if it is off I'll just make or join lobbies that have it on.

The only time I really see this being a problem is if you want something niche.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
My only concern is that since you'll be connected to the closest distance that I might end up not playing against many people, either because it'll be the same people or because others nearest to me won't be interested in my preference.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I am also worried that Team Attack is off since I didn't see an option for it, but if it is off I'll just make or join lobbies that have it on.

The only time I really see this being a problem is if you want something niche.
Perhaps team attack only shows up as an option after you select teams? I certainly hope so because I pretty much only main fat characters and let me tell you, fighting two people who projectile camp is a chore.

My only concern is that since you'll be connected to the closest distance that I might end up not playing against many people, either because it'll be the same people or because others nearest to me won't be interested in my preference.
Another possible issue, I hope that maybe you're less likely to run into someone twice or something like that because as it stands, I'll be significantly narrowing down the amount of people I'm fighting as it is.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Another possible issue, I hope that maybe you're less likely to run into someone twice or something like that because as it stands, I'll be significantly narrowing down the amount of people I'm fighting as it is.
Yeah. Even with For Glory as is, I've encountered the same person twice in a single day on different occassions. If I win or lose, I won't play that person again for that day. I try to do best of three, but if I two-stock my opponent, I tend to leave after the first match. It seems from this direct that even with your preferences, you might end up playing against others with similar preferences. Since similar ≠ same, I hope that it'll be a very strict preference. Say for example you play 1v1, no items, 3 stocks, 6 minutes and someone else plays 1v1, no items, 3 stocks, 8 minutes. That's fine, just as long as I'm not going to encounter the preferences I have and end up playing against someone who uses items. I also wonder if the people nearest to you who don't match your preference will be ignored and the next closest reception will be received.

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
I'm also worried about the possible lack of Squad Strike online. I play mostly online so if it's only offline it would be too bad

Sacked

Smash Rookie
Online seems super disappointing to me. I really wish they had added a real ranked mode with progress. Global Smash Power is sort of that, but I would have much preferred a system that gave you a letter rank with visible elo like Splatoon's system. What's everyone else's thoughts?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Online seems super disappointing to me. I really wish they had added a real ranked mode with progress. Global Smash Power is sort of that, but I would have much preferred a system that gave you a letter rank with visible elo like Splatoon's system. What's everyone else's thoughts?
I don't care much for ranked systems or leaderboards. That's probably going to upset people, and it'll be ironic if certain people who requested this kind of system end up not being good at the game, and thus, disappointed. I was hoping Spectate Mode would be fixed so that I can bet gold on 1v1, rather than winning a bet on 1v1 and then being sent to 2v2 or FFAs.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I want some kind of matchmaking so I'm not stuck with people who brutally outperform me.

Also, totally fine with no team attack as I rarely turn it on anyway.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
I want some kind of matchmaking so I'm not stuck with people who brutally outperform me.

Also, totally fine with no team attack as I rarely turn it on anyway.
I think that's how Global Smash Power will work. You won't have to go against someone at GSP 20,000,000 when you're at 100,000. I think it's a safe assumption because why else apply GSP to online?

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I don’t see any problem. This game will likely have an active online base, so unless they really **** up the algorithm you’ll get with people wanting similar rules the majority of the time.

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
I don't care much for ranked systems or leaderboards. That's probably going to upset people, and it'll be ironic if certain people who requested this kind of system end up not being good at the game, and thus, disappointed. I was hoping Spectate Mode would be fixed so that I can bet gold on 1v1, rather than winning a bet on 1v1 and then being sent to 2v2 or FFAs.
I don't get why the fact that people request a ranking mode has anything to do with their skills

Spaceman

twitch.tv/spacemanstream
NNID
youlosttotoadgg
3DS FC
3497-1911-1309
I thought it was fine, we get to choose from some preset rules, sometimes the rules will change, which will be fun if I'm playing casually. Once you wrap your head around the online, it's not too complicated.

I think it's an improvement from Smash 4, I just hope the features work as intended. I also hope that you can get offline items and 'resources' by playing online over time. Either way I'll be playing local so much online will just be a happy bonus(sadly you gotta pay now).

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
Personally I don't care for rankings either, but I understand why people want them.

The apparent inability to change what you are spectating is also annoying but for all we know we can in fact watch only one or types of matches. You can also spectate in lobbies as well which can make online tournaments a thing now.

Something else I have been thinking about is how are stages actually picked? Just because a stage doesn't have hazards doesn't make it fair such as someone playing a character with bad recovery and only picking walk-offs, or picking something like Temple or another large stage and spending the whole game camping.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Online is my biggest concern about this game. The lobby system looks pretty good, and I really like that there's more flexibility in rulesets, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea that I might not be matched with people looking for the same kind of fight as I am. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I'm thinking, but I can't shake this bad feeling.

Acrete

Smash Cadet
What if your GSP is higher than everyone in your proximity? Won’t they have to match us with a lower one?

Also doesn’t your GSP just keep climbing over time? So everyone will become elite after a while, even if they used items for every match.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
I was fine when there wasn't a visible ranking system and I'm fine with GSP. Adding letter ranks doesn't seem necessary to me, but what do I know?

Also doesn’t your GSP just keep climbing over time? So everyone will become elite after a while, even if they used items for every match.
It would be a massive oversight to base reaching elite on your raw GSP. I seriously doubt that's how it works, because they appear to have put at least 3 minutes of thought into this system.

Last edited:

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I personally don't worry too much, as the online actually turned out to be exactly how I wanted/expected it. We got a battle lounge system with preference settings, so casuals and competitive players both have ways to find matches they precisely want, without accidentally crossing paths in the wrong place, while friendlies online will be generally a lot better and we got ranking system that actually makes the GSP numbers do anything.

I figured if we got ranked they would use that GSP rating system due to the reason why it was even invented (A normal ranking being too broad, etc.) but of course because this was used in the single player modes for some reason, it didn't even matter to anyone.

aarchak

Smash Ace
My main gripe is that it looks like even Item Time matches, or rather ALL matches can increase your GSP, so people can just do well in item/time matches and still climb the ranks, and that doesn't sit well with me. Why be able to increase your rank playing casually? If someone could deunk this I'd be super glad, but if not I don't think I'd like this new system too much.

Sprintle

Smash Rookie
I really don't understand why "For Fun" and "For Glory" was bad.

You played For Fun when you wanted to just play casual matches, and you played For Glory when you wanted a serious match. That makes perfect sense to me. It's just like quick play and competitive in Overwatch. Why change it?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
My main gripe is that it looks like even Item Time matches, or rather ALL matches can increase your GSP, so people can just do well in item/time matches and still climb the ranks, and that doesn't sit well with me. Why be able to increase your rank playing casually? If someone could deunk this I'd be super glad, but if not I don't think I'd like this new system too much.
We should clarify that you're not trying to be mean by saying this but that it's going to make for a rude awakening for casual players who enjoy FFA with items when the game randomly drops them into a 1v1 no items match with a competitive player who stomps their face...

aarchak

Smash Ace
We should clarify that you're not trying to be mean by saying this but that it's going to make for a rude awakening for casual players who enjoy FFA with items when the game randomly drops them into a 1v1 no items match with a competitive player who stomps their face...
I find it really dumb that you can play casual and get your GSP up. I'm not hating on casuals, but I don't think they should gain rank and then go into competitive with all their accumulated GSP, they might get bodied quickly. Also, it might cause people to farm GSP by playing Item/Time against worse players, and I don't like that. I hope the priority for selecting opponents is Location->Rules->GSP, and not Location->GSP->Rules or any other combination. As you might be able to tell, I'm very worried about this new system.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

You played For Fun when you wanted to just play casual matches, and you played For Glory when you wanted a serious match. That makes perfect sense to me. It's just like quick play and competitive in Overwatch. Why change it?
I agree completely.

If a player chooses FFA with items, the game should never, EVER be able to place them in a 1v1 stock match, for example.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice

The lack of options was pretty bad. There's more to casual matches than "random stage, all items turned to the max, 4 players", and there's more to serious matches than "no items, Fox only, Final destination, 1v1".

Last edited:

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
A person who is more skilled at the game can abuse items far better than an novice even if some of them are completely brain dead. I feel like a good compromise is to have each individual type of battle be ranked on it's own rather than each of them being ranked the same.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Online is my biggest concern about this game. The lobby system looks pretty good, and I really like that there's more flexibility in rulesets, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea that I might not be matched with people looking for the same kind of fight as I am. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I'm thinking, but I can't shake this bad feeling.
This is only a problem if you want niche rule sets. If you want a competitive rule set you will 100% find someone else who wants that. Likewise people who want free for alls with items, and possibly teams although that one might have smaller numbers.

Smash 4 online tourneys are proof of this. The For 1v1 For Glorys would fill up after 1.5 seconds. The For Fun ones would start but at a much slower rate. Customs would never begin.

You'll all be fine. It's a different system, but the fluidity will make it shine.

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
This is only a problem if you want niche rule sets. If you want a competitive rule set you will 100% find someone else who wants that. Likewise people who want free for alls with items, and possibly teams although that one might have smaller numbers.

Smash 4 online tourneys are proof of this. The For 1v1 For Glorys would fill up after 1.5 seconds. The For Fun ones would start but at a much slower rate. Customs would never begin.

You'll all be fine. It's a different system, but the fluidity will make it shine.
Yeah, you're probably right. I'll be playing a pretty standard, no-frills ruleset so I expect it won't be difficult to find other people playing the same ruleset.

Top Bottom