• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Bit Worried About Online Play...

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I really don't understand why "For Fun" and "For Glory" was bad.

You played For Fun when you wanted to just play casual matches, and you played For Glory when you wanted a serious match. That makes perfect sense to me. It's just like quick play and competitive in Overwatch. Why change it?
As much of a massive jump in quality it was from Brawl, it still had problems. For Fun FFA turned into a griefer's paradise after a year, and, as expected, the toxicity of competitive players remained in FG, griefing included(expect to be focused if you're playing 1v1v1). 1v1 was the only mode that still remains active and with rather strange, yet functional matchmaking. As strict as the ban-worthy acts were, it didn't help control that.

Granted, the dwindling playerbase, especially when Miiverse died and took Tourney/Tournament mode with it, had affected this kind of instability.

Ultimate's online features are standard, yet look(and probably feel)like you're actually customizing an offline match with randoms. This is another jump in quality! Smash 4 had matchmaking, and if it couldn't find a good opponent for skill, it would find a random player so I imagine the worry of the more proxy-focused connections equaling less players appearing is not going to be a thing.

I'm really happy with these features for online play, I more-or-less got what I had wanted. I do wonder if we'll see Tournament mode again? The space on the main menu in Online hints this...

Last edited:

Acrete

Smash Cadet
As much of a massive jump in quality it was from Brawl, it still had problems. For Fun FFA turned into a griefer's paradise after a year, and, as expected, the toxicity of competitive players remained in FG, griefing included(expect to be focused if you're playing 1v1v1). 1v1 was the only mode that still remains active and with rather strange, yet functional matchmaking. As strict as the ban-worthy acts were, it didn't help control that.

Granted, the dwindling playerbase, especially when Miiverse died and took Tourney/Tournament mode with it, had affected this kind of instability.

Ultimate's online features are standard, yet look(and probably feel)like you're actually customizing an offline match with randoms. This is another jump in quality! Smash 4 had matchmaking, and if it couldn't find a good opponent for skill, it would find a random player so I imagine the worry of the more proxy-focused connections equaling less players appearing is not going to be a thing.

I'm really happy with these features for online play, I more-or-less got what I had wanted. I do wonder if we'll see Tournament mode again? The space on the main menu in Online hints this...
Isn’t griefing still gonna be prevelant on FFA in ultimate?

The game will have to find 4 different players of a similar GSP every single match within a close proximity. I don’t see that happening. It’ll end up pairing all sorts I reckon. Competitive 1v1 will likely be the only time matchmaking works properly.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Isn’t griefing still gonna be prevelant on FFA in ultimate?

The game will have to find 4 different players of a similar GSP every single match within a close proximity. I don’t see that happening. It’ll end up pairing all sorts I reckon. Competitive 1v1 will likely be the only time matchmaking works properly.
Griefing was less likely if your record was at stake, thus in FG you would not get griefing matches in full games or 1v1, but yes, I agree to an extent. The griefing in Smash 4 was minimal when the game was fresh.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
The new preferences allow multiple different stocks and stage types so it is much better than before with just the 1v1 2 stock for glory that we had before. Not to mention 2v2 is customizable so that we arent limited to only play on 2v2 friendly fire off timed matches.

Also there are so many players on for glory that even if everybody were to be split into 5 different group of players, you would always still immediately find someone in your group.

Last edited:
Top Bottom