• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

9wind Punch

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Recently I've heard of the 9wind punch and I was wondering if anybody here finds it useful. Has anybody ever stored a 9wind punch and used it later on? A fully charged punch for me seems powerful enough and the super armor frames are critical. The only times I've ever used it are if somebody is charging at me while I'm winding a punch up.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
I'm very bad at timing the SA, so I do attempt 9 winds from time to time. I'll still usually keep it full so it comes out faster.

Most of my low-wind punches come from my opponents approaching while I charge, and they think I'll retreat... but instead I release the Pride of Africa and decimate them at low percentages.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
The 9 does both more damage and knock back I believe, but it doesn't give super armor frames and probably doesn't come out as fast. Haven't really tested it but that's what it seems like from my experience and also from what I hear.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
It's stronger than the fully charged, but not safer.

Edit: Ninja'd

Cable

Smash Lord
The knockback on the 9 punch is insane you can kill really early the only downfall is it doesn't have the super armor like the full charge one. But i would say the 9 punch can be useful in some situations clutch moments

D0N

Smash Ace
9 wind is great. It just takes practice knowing how and when to use it but its well worth it. Like its been said its slower and lacks SA, but look at it this way:

1) It may be slower, but you aren't steaming so your opponent isn't looking for the punch as much... Unless they know you like to throw it out.

2) It may not have super armor, but the power makes up for it. depends on which you feel will be more useful at the time.

Both 9 wind and SA are great. I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

crifer

Smash Lord
9-punch is useful.
It´s slower than the fully charged,
but the funny thing is:
It´s so slow that it punishes spotdodges and air dodges pretty good.
If you have a opponent who sometimes airdodge into you, fire it.

MK can be killed @ 50%, snake @80%, it´s insane.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
9-punch is useful.
It´s slower than the fully charged,
but the funny thing is:
It´s so slow that it punishes spotdodges and air dodges pretty good.
If you have a opponent who sometimes airdodge into you, fire it.

MK can be killed @ 50%, snake @80%, it´s insane.
I didn't realize it was that powerful and useful. I'm going to try to incorporate it into my matches more and see if it works for me.

Also, so I get this right, a 9wind does not make the crunch sound a fully charged punch does, right?

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
There was a thread on this... it's actually has more knockback than a full punch starting at 7 winds (I think).

You'll know when you 9-wind, you won't hear DK give his warcry.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I've found that the full punch is more useful overall, because of the super armor. but there are some situations that make me think differently, for example:
attempting to edgehog marth, marth Up Bs higher up to reach safe land. I jump off the edge, optional headbutt, and then 9 punch. this sorta time makes me wish I used the 9 punch more. the same thing can apply to things like falcon's recovery, ganon's, anyone who tends to fly past the ledge and have landing lag.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
If i remember correctly the 6wind has the same knockback as the full punch, and 7,8, and most of all 9 wind has more knockback than the full punch.

The 9wind is sooooo deadly, it is indeed slower but it is trickier. because you are not steaming, also if you can fool your oppenent with it for example:

You are charging your punch and your opponent runs up knock you out of winding up, you cancel the wind by pushing shield. your opponent will think that you have lost your punch completely since he knocked you out of it, and since you are not steaming. so you have a nice surprise for him.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
If i remember correctly the 6wind has the same knockback as the full punch, and 7,8, and most of all 9 wind has more knockback than the full punch.

The 9wind is sooooo deadly, it is indeed slower but it is trickier. because you are not steaming, also if you can fool your oppenent with it for example:

You are charging your punch and your opponent runs up knock you out of winding up, you cancel the wind by pushing shield. your opponent will think that you have lost your punch completely since he knocked you out of it, and since you are not steaming. so you have a nice surprise for him.
or you wind up an 8 and you press B, he thinks you're punching and shields or spotdodges, you wind up a punch (he keeps shielding or spotdodges and you hit him after), if he keeps shielding you wind up your last punch and fire it on his shield, i think it would break after that :) otherwise, finish with a grounded upB

i think this might only work once, since they can just roll away
:p

D0N

Smash Ace
Someday I want to blow someones mind so bad that I charge like 3-4 winds in thier face and land the punch right after

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
9 winds aren't that hard to get if you apply wavebouncing and reverse punching (while charging, tilt stick backwards, press B). I often go aerial while charging a punch away from the oponent to reverse it in their face. It spaces his body away better and boasts deceptive turn-around reach. Do it enough and people start approaching with shield...

and then u can press L to cancel the charge and immediately turn-around Headbutt.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
9 winds aren't that hard to get if you apply wavebouncing and reverse punching (while charging, tilt stick backwards, press B). I often go aerial while charging a punch away from the oponent to reverse it in their face. It spaces his body away better and boasts deceptive turn-around reach. Do it enough and people start approaching with shield...

and then u can press L to cancel the charge and immediately turn-around Headbutt.
I do that all the time, go ariel and then reverse. I use 9wind usually in the middle of charging, but never really saving it for later.

What is wavebouncing btw?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
DK can Wavebounce his Neutral B by B Reversing in the air. When you do that right, all the momentum from the one direction goes to the other direction when your B reversing. Some characters can do this while other's can't.

I'm probably hella wrong though :urg:

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
I was playing my bro's mk for a little bit, and was thinking that this 9wind punch could almost get a win for DK. The 9wind kills mks at like 50-60ish, but I'm finding it hard to count the wind ups.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
So the wind swoosh sound is what im listening for? I thought there was some visual hint to it.

ook

Smash Lord
When you listen for the sound, stop when you hear the 10th swoosh. Even though it's a "9 wind", you don't get the full power of the 9 winds until the 10th swoosh.

KillaFrmNY

Smash Ace
Every charge attack(this includes Smash attacks, Lucario's aura blast, Samus's charged beam etc.) has more knockback when released before it's fully charged..

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Every charge attack(this includes Smash attacks, Lucario's aura blast, Samus's charged beam etc.) has more knockback when released before it's fully charged..
Really? I had no idea, that's really interesting.

I've been aiming alot to get the 9, and I think it's easier to count the winding then listen to the sound.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
lol i've noticed that when the sound is off, i cant count the 9-wind even after 10 tries, it just goes soooo much better with sound :)
also, aerial punches are easier to land imo, but they have less knockback am i correct?

Top Bottom