• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

916 / Sacramento Smash: DP will never post here

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
So I'm basically dropping from going to tournaments all together and will just do some occasional and casual melee. Everyone is too good now and life's too busy to put in the time like I use to.

I'm also dropping fox for marth. I could beef my fox up but at the end it's just too much. I think marth will allow me to take full advantage of my mindgames and current tech skill level. We'll see what happens.

SNKE

Smash Journeyman
So I'm basically dropping from going to tournaments all together and will just do some occasional and casual melee. Everyone is too good now and life's too busy to put in the time like I use to.

I'm also dropping fox for marth. I could beef my fox up but at the end it's just too much. I think marth will allow me to take full advantage of my mindgames and current tech skill level. We'll see what happens.
Does anyone from TeamScape still play? Not sure if you remember me ;)

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
k, i hereby transfer all my marth powers to you josh... seeing as how i was going to drop him for fox,falcon, or falco lol

btw im here in norcal now and here to stay

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
k, i hereby transfer all my marth powers to you josh... seeing as how i was going to drop him for fox,falcon, or falco lol

btw im here in norcal now and here to stay
I humbly accept these powers and vow to be the best marth in friendlies ever.

More importantly... WHHAAAAAT!???! You're back in norcal!!!! We will be hanging out and smashing in the not too distant future... I have hella missed you!!!

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
You only say that because you suck with him Jesse.

So, I watched pewpewu at rule 6 and I just watched some of his videos from the tournament. He's amazing and ***** every marth out there, but even he still needs work. How do I know? I decided to analyze the match. Then I got to thinking, I wonder what else I've been missing because I stopped analyzing years ago. You know what I discovered? Most of the "top players" aside from a few, suck incredibly hard **** and can't read for ****. I watched all the top marth's and got incredibly annoyed watching them try the same ****ing things over and over, only to suffer the same negative results.

The only reason why any of those marth's won any matches is because the other person lacked the proper tech repertoire, lacked the reactive capability, and/or played the wrong style to win those matches.

I still say this game is 2 part: reaction and patterns. You need to recognize the patterns and have the ability to react to them.

I'm still not going to tournaments anymore, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to develop a wicked ****ed up marth. When I have spare time and feel like it, I'll be putting in some hard work and study.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Cactuar, HBK, Teczero, Interim, M2K etc.

The best marth's I've seen so far come from Bob$, Ken, Ice, KFC, and PPU.

Bobby learns slowly through the match, but he does learn. Good edgegaurding as well but needs to work on shielding a bit less. He'll be one of the best with enough national exposure.

Ice has a very good understanding of marth's shield game (almost no shield game save for powersielding) but he lacks excellent edgeguarding.

KFC is just a wonderful player overall but lacks the excellent edgeguarding necessary to make himself great. Not a big deal now.

PPU is the most technical and has the most mixup by far, but lacks experience. His reactions are on point but he gets overwhelmed against rushdown and ends up shielding vs using attacks to defend. He'll be one of the best in the world with time and exposure.

Ken, for his time, had the best understanding of marth overall and was able to change his game up with the advancement of the total metagame.

I'm not even going to talk about you jesse because you're at a block. You need to learn more about what marth can do in various situations. You just need a bigger repertoire to react with for mixup. Also, shielding... bad.

Marths should only use shields when going in to bait when they have the safety to do so, for powershielding, and that's it. Using it defensively limits you so hard when you can do so much more in any given situation. He's a character that relies on the player to heavily understand the play style and the repertoire of the opponent and his character. You need to be able to read quickly in a match with marth so that you can react to the patterns every player has and he needs his player to have mindgames and confidence. He's more chess than any other top character out there.

M2K is amazing thanks to his repertoire and his ability to finish his combos, plus he has THE best edge game. Aside from that, he's too mechanical and once his STYLE gets read, he's done for.

This is all my opinion obviously and I'm not going as in depth with my analysis as I could, namely due to the fact that I don't feel like writing an essay. So yeah. Stuff.

EDIT: I know you asked about just reading, but I thought I'd give a little bit more. In a nutshell, the good players I mentioned are the best readers. They just need either time and exposure, or a larger repertoire. FINISH THE FOOD.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
i have no idea how i made that list of good marths lol but thanks

ill try to show up to stuff now that im in norcal and dont have a job anymore (hopefully a temporary setback. i hate being broke)

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Oh for Marth. I thought you were going to take a huge **** on a million top players. Really on cactuar? Super surprised. Tell me why that's the hardest part of the game to learn though...

MasterShake

Smash Lord
JR I've always considered your Marth to be ken jr. (lol). Super smart, technical when he needs to be. Your style is def recognized still here in norcal fer sure. Don't ever count yourself out mang.

DRGN

Technowizard
Not too surprised about Cactuar, mostly considering he came from a tech/aggressive Fox.

Can't wait to play with you again, J.R. :D I hope you can come to the next TAG. But of course if you want to come up and visit Sac once you're settled you're certainly welcome to!

As for everyone else: if any of you want to play sometime....

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I hope the next TAG comes up soon, haven't played anyone since last month.

Danny, I would like to play. I'll try and see if I can get up there again one day for some smash. :p

ninjay

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. This is a reminder that there will be a Melee tourney this Saturday in Sacramento. 501 Arden Way.

I spoke with Jaryd from TAG, and he is going to help me with some setups and seeding the brackets. If any of you can help with setups, I will appreciate it. First 5 people that bring setups doesn't have to pay the venue fee.

I hope to see you all there!

DRGN

Technowizard
For some reason I had 1501 Arden, not 501.

Was the date for it changed? Was it on the 18th originally?

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Hey, Danny, if you're going, how will you be getting to the venue? All of my ride options are pretty much gone on the first half of Saturday, but I might be able to come up and play Friday and then stay the night for the tournament, if it's possible.

Unless Jesse is coming from the south and is willing to pick me up on the way there.

Also, I'll bring a full setup plus my recording shiz if I can go.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Nope I'm in the hills atm. Otherwise I woulda had your back. Also if you can't stay with the danman you can crash at my place, I'd be willing to meet you halfway.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Ah, okay. I can def meet you halfway if staying at Danny's doesn't work out.
Either way works okay for me.

ninjay

Smash Rookie
For some reason I had 1501 Arden, not 501.

Was the date for it changed? Was it on the 18th originally?
it was originally on the 18th, but I changed it about 6 hours into posting it becuase the venue was booked that day.

DRGN

Technowizard
Oh, ok. Good thing you posted that reminder in here then! I still had it as the 18th, lol.

Wolfy, I'm probably going by bus, lol (unless someone else is going by close to me, but I doubt it).

Wolfy!

Indecisive
lol, kay.

It might be more beneficial for me to stay at Moon's then, 'cuz I'll be bringing a TV with me.

nvm my computer sucks

ninjay

Smash Rookie
REMINDER: TAG x CFD this Sunday for Brawl and possible Melee if people cant make it to Rule 6.

Jaryd will be making all future posts about upcoming tournaments for Smash Bros.

DRGN

Technowizard
Yup. Already planning on making it. ^_^ But thanks. I'm sure there are others here who needed a reminder. Like NK.

ARON?

Smash Apprentice
I can play melee in Sac on Sunday probably. Can't go to rule 6 though

Top Bottom