• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

916 / Sacramento Smash: DP will never post here

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I say stick to one char wolfy (for tournament). I think it's better to overcome difficult matchups than switch out to easier ones.

Also Norcal too stacked, I just saw partial results. Dannnnnng.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
For the most part, I go Falcon only in tournament because he's my best/favorite character. The only matchup I would even remotely consider switching to another character for would be against Falco, but that would only be at a point of severe desperation where I feel like I could only win using another character. It's not like Falcon has any matchups that are unbeatable anyways. He just has a couple really hard ones that take practice to overcome.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
well i mean

i'm not talking about seriouslies or tournament

but

learing falco is mad fun, bc he is a good and broken character

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Falco has actually been one of my secondaries since I started playing.
I use him and Fox often to practice tech skill and get my reflexes/fingers up to speed before I start playing seriouslies.
Also, Falco dittos are fun. :p

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yea i guess but

i think i find diversity very fun

and i really do think learning other characters at least expands your perspective of how the game operates

and i swear, playing puff makes u better at spacing hahahaha.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Well... I'm not relegated to playing only Falcon, lol.
I do play Marth, Falco, Fox, Pikachu, Jiggs, Link, Young Link, Ganon, Mario, a little Samus, and pretty much a little of every character except a very select few.

I just go all Falcon in tournament and for the most part, seriouslies, cuz he's mah boi. :p
Plus, I'm very stubborn and hard-headed and find that I like maining Falcon BECAUSE he has difficult (but not unbeatable) matchups. I don't like switching because it honestly feels like it betrays the work and dedication I put into my main, and since my main is Captain Falcon, there is a certain sense of honor that comes with the territory.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
speaking of not switching... i realized that azusa lost to me at the last fudds because he had no idea what to do

azusa beat me in a couple friendlies, and atma beat me pretty badly in tournament. atma knew what to do and i couldn't figure out any responses. i can fight them with fox though. vs azusa i could also go young link, but not vs atma because he plays sheik.

ic's/ylink vs peach/sheik... it would come down to who wins the first matchup, and i'd ask for a double blind. i never want to do that though, so i'd rather go only fox vs peach/sheik

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Hey, Andre, I just got done watching The Matrix again. :p
Made me want to play Falcon even more, LOL.

Meh, I'm still against switching my character. I'm too determined to win with my character and my character alone.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I like giving myself challenges, anyways. :p

Though.... I might go Marth against really annoying campy Falcos.... >________________________>

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Aggressive Falcos I can deal with Falcon, actually. When they start shooting tons of lasers at me, that's when I get beat. :(

Wolfy!

Indecisive
That's me! I'm working on powershielding. I even do that trick where I hold my left trigger in before I plug my controller in so I can get instant heavy shields, so it's easier to powershield. I just find it so much easier to do the Marth crouch powershield trick, so sometimes I just pick Marth against Falco. Otherwise I end up trying to Nair over everything with Falcon and it doesn't work, LOL.

EDIT: So, I practiced some powershielding last night to get the timing and everything down with Falcon and surprisingly, I didn't find it too hard. :o

DRGN

Technowizard
Delphiki took two stocks from someone earlier without landing on or touching the stage in between.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Did you have an actual person lasering you from from different heights, or did you just have a CPU shooting standing lasers at you? If it's the latter, I agree with moon, you ain't ready.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Remember that episode in DBZ when gohan and krillin try fighting guldo and they get *****? Anyone remember why they got *****?

They attacked head on.

Moon: I think that's what I was trying to get at the other night.

Moving around the stage isn't just something you do to follow up combos, recover from attacks, or use when you're RIGHT by your opponent to mix things up.

There's 2 things moving around the stage is absolutely essential for:

1) Being aloof to bait aggression to capitalize on both your opponent's small and large mistakes. Creating an opening basically.

2) Feeling out your opponent if you're unsure of their play-style.

Why do we dash dance when our opponent isn't even near us? To try and create an opening.

Why don't we recover from off stage the same way 24/7? So that our opponent can't recognize and capitalize on blatantly obvious recovery patterns.

So why in the hell do we want our opponents to know when we're going to approach? We don't.

That's the whole point of moving around the stage and playing with your space. Your opponent is gonna be wondering what in the hell you're doing. If they don't know what you're doing, they're also not going to know when you're going to attack.

I feel like people get dash dancing down and they think that's the end all be all of movement that you have to do to create an opening. FAAAAAAAR FROM IT!!

Psychologically this is also very important with the concept of momentum.

If you're opponent knows you attack 24/7 without varying your approaches, he's going to dominate you every time because he knows how the flow of the match is going to go. You're going to become impatient, you're going to want to go straight in or do 2-3 DDs before going in, and you're going to get ****ed up every single ****ing time.

Now imagine that instead of being obvious, you decide there's a lot of stage to play on safely and you're going to go play. You jump on a platform run across it, jump on another platform, go back to the other platform, drop below that one, jump up to the top platform with a nair and dash dance on it, drop below that platform but then jump and waveland back on it, etc., etc., etc. There would be no rhyme or reason to why you're doing all this in your opponents eyes so they're going to be confused as hell. Inevitably your opponent is going to give up their spacing and try to make something happen. Their spacing and their ability to approach is compromised now because you're doing some ****ed up **** that isn't readable and now you get to capitalize on their lapse of spacial awareness and momentum. IT'S A TRAP!!

Anything I mentioned absolutely involves patience, and tons of it. I lost a lot of patience due to the mere fact that I don't get high level practice around here like I used to, nor do I attend a lot of tournaments anymore. I guarantee you though this is some **** all of you are going to need to hone up on. ESPECIALLY YOU JESSE.

Keep in mind that this is only to create openings in your opponents play-style. Offensive and defensive mindgames get a lot more in depth and are really based on character to character and on the situation at hand. I'll go more into that **** later.

This is just some stuff to help you guys get a better understanding of what's required at higher level gameplay. GET GOOD SAC. PRACTICE SMART.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I've been trying to work on better movement tech skill as well as trying to build up my patience and stop throwing out moves like an idiot. Being creative with platforms really helps a lot. I'll have to experiment with more movement options and styles the next time I get the chance to practice with someone.

:phone:

MasterShake

Smash Lord
They read the **** out of Guldo and started tech chasing him though. Made like a 3 stock comeback.

I'll read this a couple more times though...maybe it'll click...

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
They read the **** out of Guldo and started tech chasing him though. Made like a 3 stock comeback.

I'll read this a couple more times though...maybe it'll click...
Only to get 4 stocked by that super gay, Rikuum. They didn't change up their play-style and he trounced all over their ****.

EDIT: Actually, watch those zenith matches between PP and M2K. When both players have an even keel on the stage, notice how PP starts dashing around firing lasers controlling like 3/4 of the ****ing stage because of those lasers. Notice when M2K really needs to he decides to play on the ledge, not jumping once or twice but dropping and jumping back like 100000 times until he sees an opening. At their level of play they know how to move, cover their tracks, and follow up in very few moves but you can see them taking advantage of the stage to try and create and opening.

I think in the first match like 2nd to last stock or last stock, you can see M2K playing on the ledge and PP dashdancing from the edge of the stage all the way to the middle. M2K gets back up and throws out attacks to try and create room for himself, which he does, but only because PP wanted him to throw out attacks so that he could hopefully pick up a bit of lag from those attacks. AND PP GETS HIM.

Try not to view them as constantly attacking each other. PP has the advantage of lasers so he gets to cover all movement from M2K so M2K has to result to shielding and playing around in his shield quite a lot.

The Marth dittos are a really good show for movement though, especially if you watch M2K.

Top Bottom