• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

916 / Sacramento Smash: DP will never post here

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Well, I'll try to go to both, so yeah, lol.

I'm definitely going to be at TAG. With my recording setup. ;)

Wolfy!

Indecisive
To everyone in this thread that went to TAG XLVI, good ****. =)

I'm quite surprised I was able to take a game off of DarkMike. I think I might just be clearing my plateau... or at least playing way less stupid than I was months ago, LOL.
Having all those in depth discussion about the game have been helping TREMENDOUSLY.

Also, Russian. I can't make it tomorrow. Sorry. :(

ALSO, I was thinking of doing a live stream thingy at my place sometime this week (maybe Friday?). Anyone interested? I would like to stream the new build of Project M, too, if that's cool.

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
good **** wolfy :p

I lost to paul and matt.. and then 2v1'ed them in teams!!! wtf

Wolfy!

Indecisive
LOL, you were the MVP in our first doubles set, Jim.

I probably could have taken a game off of Ahmad, but for some reason, I was having a mild panic attack that caused me to mess up everything. :/

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I had fun! Got my revenge on Bailinater (looool). But now I have to get my revenge against DRGN! I think I got a bruise from that lightning kick.

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah, the tournament was great. It was cool so many people came, both new and old!

Narfanator back into Melee? Whaaat?

SadPanda, I didn't even know who you were when we first played. But it was nice to meet you. :p

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I remember Sad Panda's name from way back. Not sure if we've ever played, though.

I need to stop performing so poorly in tournament. x_x

Great job taking a match from Mike, Wolfy! What was the matchup?

Wolfy!

Indecisive
It was Link/Falcon the first two matches, of which he won the first, and I won the second, and Samus/Falcon the last match, in which he 3 stocked me IIRC.

I dunno why I'm so bad at the Samus matchup... :/

Looking at the matches now, I was definitely playing at his level in my second match after I felt him out a little on the first match. My spacing was really good, I was on point, was very fast and technical, combo'd pretty well, and punished pretty well, too. My pressure was also pretty good, too. I was quite surprised at myself. :o

There's still some errors that I picked out from that match, though, so I at least know what I need to work on.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Yeah, his Samus is amazing, lol.

When I saw DarkMike taking games off of Catnip after our set, I was like, "Damn, I took a game off of him? Wow..." But I was also playing pretty confidently against Catnip in friendlies earlier in the day. I think maybe with a couple more months of practice I might be able to crack the top 6...

DRGN

Technowizard
It was Link/Falcon the first two matches, of which he won the first, and I won the second, and Samus/Falcon the last match, in which he 3 stocked me IIRC.

I dunno why I'm so bad at the Samus matchup... :/

Looking at the matches now, I was definitely playing at his level in my second match after I felt him out a little on the first match. My spacing was really good, I was on point, was very fast and technical, combo'd pretty well, and punished pretty well, too. My pressure was also pretty good, too. I was quite surprised at myself. :o

There's still some errors that I picked out from that match, though, so I at least know what I need to work on.
Probably mostly 'cause she's uncommon (well, USUALLY; we had 3 at this tournament! Lol XD). And we have more exp. vs Falcon than you have vs Samus. If you ignore actual number of matches, there's still the number of different playstyles we've played against compared with the various Samus playstyles you've learned. Mike's Samus is a lot different than mine too.

Your improvements you've been talking about are apparent. You seem to see more of what's happening in the game, you have better spacing, and your movements are definitely more precise. So, yeah, good ****! :)

Did you get that set with DM recorded btw?

I'm gettin' hyped to see some of these videos. :D
And speaking of Dark Mike, we got our Samus ditto from our tournament set recorded. :D

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Yeah, the Samus matchup is soooooo uncommon.
And Falcon is SOOOOOOO common.
But I will persevere. It just feels like such a weird matchup. Well, to me at least. :O

And thanks, DRGN! I think once I shake off the last of those bad n00b habits I have and just focus more during practice friendlies, I'll probably be able to reach that next level of play (where you guys are, lol).
And I need to become more familiar with certain stages vs. certain characters. I feel like I probably could have done a little better against DM if he didn't counter-pick me to Fountain of Dreams on the third match. And I thought I was good at that stage... :o

And I did get your set with DM recorded!
I took the day off school today 'cuz I'm not feeling too hot, so you should see some of those videos up today.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
here are my samus tips:

when you THINK you can hit her, you probably cannot. it was probably a bait. try to stay close, but don't take any baits, and don't get hit by random ftilt or dsmash. striking missiles is usually better than blocking them, but avoiding them is best.

shield pressure samus early-game to TEST how much the samus player likes to up-B out of shield. she can't do anything to shield pressure besides up-B or wd out.

if i am falcon, i'm gonna try to play like hax and run around platforms until i get a GUARANTEED hit. i'll try to attack from behind her, and basically frustrate her like a monkey with a stick running around and poking an old warthog. she can't win if falcon plays this way, and if you gain the lead, she's eventually going to have to bite back with her very few approaching moves (fair, uair from below, wd ftilt, dash attack.) if you are above her, she can only really use aerials, so if you spot her jumps these are easy to avoid too.

with falcon, i'd just dodge everything so i can learn what she wants to do first, and then respond to each option. falcon has the speed to actually play a reaction game against her.

i know we all want to go in balls deep like mango, but he reads out of shield options better than anyone in the world. before we can reach that point, we have to actually know what samus is capable of first, and THEN stuff everything out from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xj06l_IK6A

here is a good example of hax displaying everything i just described. the dude never takes baits.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Okay, thanks!
I'll keep this all in mind, then.

Sometimes guys on the falcon boards don't help very much. :/

Wolfy!

Indecisive
OMG you guys.

I am so totally streaming Project: M next time people come over. It's soooooooo gooooooooood.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I think all of the characters feel really good. Wolf just takes some getting used to.
It is way smoother than the previous demo, though.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Wolf feels like a weird mix of Fox and Falco, but not always in a good way. His shine follow-ups seem inferior to the other two space animals, and his blaster is borderline ********. The best use for it so far is trolling characters with bad recoveries. But there are improvements, like the much faster dash speed, and the good dashdance that comes with it, his recovery is better compared to brawl, up-throw and d-throw have some tech-chasing/chaingrabbing potential and his grounded up-b is a really lulzy combo finisher.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Wolf kinda feels like a mix of a reverse Falco playstyle (by comboing and juggling upwards) and Pikachu (cuz of the nair) to me. I think maybe with some time, we'll see Wolf's P:M metagame evolve with new combo and followup possibilities. Either that or the PMBR will change things to make his moveset overall better. I agree, his blaster is pretty stupid, but I heard there's a way to wavedash out of a SH laser.

BTW, who's your favorite out of the characters you've played so far? (Besides your Melee main, let's say)

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Ah, okay.

My favorite's probably Charizard right now. He feels like a big version of Captain Falcon to me.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Wolf kinda feels like a mix of a reverse Falco playstyle (by comboing and juggling upwards) and Pikachu (cuz of the nair) to me. I think maybe with some time, we'll see Wolf's P:M metagame evolve with new combo and followup possibilities. Either that or the PMBR will change things to make his moveset overall better. I agree, his blaster is pretty stupid, but I heard there's a way to wavedash out of a SH laser.
You can airdodge out of the later part of the blaster. Hence you can do stuff like SH laser waveland. His blaster is really good overall.

I'm in the PMBR and can answer any questions you have if you don't want to dive into the cluster**** that is the PM thread in Code Sets.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Yeah, I just figured that out today.
Wolf's blaster is hard to get around if he consistently Laser wavedashes. Jim learned that the hard way, lol.

Alright, Fly, I'll ask you if any more questions come up.

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember having any problem with laser wavedashes. But I do remember problems with charizard's forward b and someother moves.

anyway

wario/peach for me

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I can't remember if I beat you with Wolf. But I do remember a specific point in one of our matches where I was lasering like crazy and it was really hard for you to get around them.

What problems were those, Jim? All of Charizard's moves seem to be fine to me. :o

I think I'll stick with Charizard and Falcon for the most part. With maybe some other characters mixed in.

DRGN

Technowizard
PM sounds interesting. I still haven't played it yet.

Oh, and Chok's advice for Falcon vs Samus is good.

One of the main rewards of constant movement is unpredictability. But it still needs more purpose than that, which is in safety and baits (in whatever proportion that you find works best or you have the patience for). Though obviously baits aren't the only way to approach. While maneuvering all around, good opportunities you want to look for are specific angles of approach. These can be recognized from reads (like you think they're moving around on the ground because they want to grab or tilt -or don't know why but think they're going to be there a while nonetheless- so you go in high with a dair), or from moveset knowledge (e.g. the opponent's character has low priority moves in the direction you're coming from compared to the move you're choosing). So it might be more accurate to replace "baits" with "opportunity creation" for what I said about purpose in movement (what do you think, Chok?).

I think I had a little bit more on this, but this dang browser app crashed and I lost it.

Anyway, what I'm saying can be applied in most matchups if not all. An example of a good angle of approach to look for against Samus with Falcon would be from below. Because she's both floaty and heavy, uair can really hassle Samus, and you should be able to get in several, ending with a knee or two depending on their DI, at a time.

Might add more later. Right now I got class. :p

Yikes! Would be fun to play people this good more often.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yes, you're right. opportunity creation is a good word. because samus will hardly take baits herself, but basically if you have a lead, you're rather forcing her to pick an approach rather than actually baiting certain moves.

and yeah, hax is godlike. 2-stocked me easily when i played him in a friendly, and ofc i was in tryhard mode.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
im jealous of your join date andre

one day i hope people see my join date and be like, "whoa that guys been around for a long time"

slowly but surely... that day will eventually come

Wolfy!

Indecisive
So... me and Fuhnky played some friendlies today.
I foresee much improvement in the near future...

Andre/DRGN, thanks for the advice. :)

*looks at my join date* :|

DRGN

Technowizard
*beat hax the only time we ever played*

in 1 friendly =D

then made that guy get off the tv and i was like NEXT
lol nice. I did that to Kage at Genesis II. But he waited there through the rotation and beat me next time. It was a popular tv though, so I could hear people behind me going "Who the hell is that Samus?" as I went through everyone. lol :awesome:

J.R., didn't you get a new copy of Melee and a cube for your birthday? You should come up sometime and show us your moves!

Top Bottom