• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

8 Player Battles? [2 YEAR OLD THREAD MODS PLEASE LOCK]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
How would you feel if they added 8 player battles? Online play could pull this off or it could just be 4 players and 4 CPUs locally.
Or more interestingly, a sort of Tag Team style of play where you can switch between characters on your team.
I'm hoping for some tag team action.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Well, Brawl's Multi-Man Brawl could have up to 7 fighters on the field at once so I don't see why not. But seeing the Wii U Controller Pro has four player lights so I highly doubt we'll get 8 characters locally (maybe the 3DS game though) so online is a better choice (and maybe Player 5-8 could be computers locally). But I think 6 players is a better choice than 8

And every time I bring this up to my brother, he complains that there would be too many people at once. I keep on telling just use bigger stages. I think both the 3DS & Wii U can handle more than 4 players too.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
How would you feel if they added 8 player battles? Wireless controllers could pull this off or it could just be 4 players and 4 CPUs
Or more interestingly, a sort of Tag Team style of play where you can switch between characters on your team.
I have had a few discussuons with other people about this. My suggestion was 6 players but either way I would love a feature like this to be in the new Smash. I think it can be possiible if more players were on the screen simultaneously. But I'd only see a feature like this possbile if they made a certain number of stages the size of New Pork City just for this 6-8 Player mode only.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
But whatabout Tag team matches? There would only be max 4 players on screen but you could swap out with your partner. (yaknow like in marvel vs. capcom)

AIM0001

Smash Lord
But whatabout Tag team matches? There would only be max 4 players on screen but you could swap out with your partner. (yaknow like in marvel vs. capcom)
Not sure if I would like that very much...I love me some Marvel VS. Capcom though....Unless I seen how it would work on smash for myself Im not sure if it would work.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Not sure if I would like that very much...I love me some Marvel VS. Capcom though....Unless I seen how it would work on smash for myself Im not sure if it would work.
think SSE. when a character like say, Lucas is KOed, the next character to respawn would be Snake. then on another KO, back to Lucas.. using a GC controller as an example, a Tag button could be something like Down on the D-pad.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd hate to see the game lag real heavily if there are 8 groups of Ice Climbers fighting each other. For now, I think no more than "6" fighters is good enough.

umegames

Smash Cadet
I dont see that being as fun as it seems it could be, but would be an intresting "special brawl" mode

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
With the WiiU Pad (possibly 2) being used there is no way that smash (with 2 WiiU Pads, the maximum frames per second are 60; all 3 smash games thus far run at 60 frames per second), with items on very high that 8 players could play without lots of noticeable lag, even offline, given how detailed the character models, items, item-related characters, NPCs, and stages are/will be, even with 8th generation of gaming hardware. Maybe without items it would work, but smash's super content would hold it back in this case. All the Pokéball Pokémon, Assist Trophy characters, and Final Smash/Super moves would be total overkill. Could y

That doesn't even take into account that Smash WiiU will probably only have 4-6 controller ports. Oh, and I doubt Smash 3DS could handle it either, especially with its' weaker processing power (because it is a handheld console of course).

Really, 8 seems like a huge jump, especially with like 8 Ice Climbers (16 characters), items exploding everywhere, loads of Pokéball Pokémon, Assist Trophy characters, and Final Smashes. Really, 6 seems like it would be the "cap" for now, and even that is stretching it (especially online, even with Namco Bandai making some good online systems in the past). Heck, I don't even think the 3DS can handle 6 players like that, and with the WiiU, I'm not sure if it could handle it with a WiiU Pad (or 2).

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Yea, lag would definitely be a big problem with 8 players unfortunately.

6 players is a lot if you ask me but it would be awesome because we could do 3 vs 3 matches.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
I have had a few discussuons with other people about this. My suggestion was 6 players but either way I would love a feature like this to be in the new Smash. I think it can be possiible if more players were on the screen simultaneously. But I'd only see a feature like this possbile if they made a certain number of stages the size of New Pork City just for this 6-8 Player mode only.
That sounds epic... but what would be even more intense is if ssb4 had stages like 4 TIMES THE SIZE OF HYRULE TEMPLE!!....... of course the camera physics would need changing ~_~

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Honestly, judging by how big the stages were in Brawl, most of those stages could easily fix 6 characters. The only stages that look like they might be unable fit that many characters without feeling a tad "cluttered" would be Lylat Cruise and Brinstar (Melee). Neither seem like it would be that bad. Some other stages might seem "cramped," but not on a constant basis, especially if you're doing 2 vs. 2 vs. 2's or 3 vs. 3's.

Of course, that is assuming the stage size is the same size as they were in Brawl. Personally, I think keeping most of the stage sizes about as big as the stages are in Brawl would be a good idea (with a few exceptions for a few smaller stages). My only exceptions would be that we don't need huge campfest garbage stages like New Pork City, Mario Bros, and 75M, as well as obviously less gimmicky stages to where instead of fighting on the stage or flowing with the stage, you have to fight against the stage. :facepalm:

Melee would have problem with that, though, given how small most of the stages in Melee are. Smash 64's stages looks made for 6-8 player matches. :laugh:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
think SSE. when a character like say, Lucas is KOed, the next character to respawn would be Snake. then on another KO, back to Lucas.. using a GC controller as an example, a Tag button could be something like Down on the D-pad.
I see what your saying and it is doable but I guess I'd have to see how a match plays out with this tag team mechanic.

That sounds epic... but what would be even more intense is if ssb4 had stages like 4 TIMES THE SIZE OF HYRULE TEMPLE!!....... of course the camera physics would need changing ~_~

Ya I think stages that big could only work for 6 person matches though. I know i never play on New Pork City with 3-4 players. These 6 person stages would have to be used only for these fights and would have to maybe be its own lil category of stage selection maybe??

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
I am (still) for 6-8 players

It would change team dynamics into warring factions. In fact, if they were to include "ratio balancing" similar to what is seen in SnkVCapcom2 that would add another layer of gameplay into team battles. (4 players with 1.0 ratio against 2 players at 2.0 ratio stats). I'd vote for 8 players (the Wii could handle 8 players locally though some would be forced to use wiimotes) but 6 players would be fair. Pk users could form teams with a tank, healer, and their backup for the finisher.

cloud9

Smash Cadet
If this were implemented, it would be good to be able to play on larger versions of normal stages.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
This idea is always a possibility & I welcome it. However 6 players seems more reasonable. Larger stages for more players.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
8 is not even a REALISTIC number. There's only 6 compatiable controllers. Wii U Pro Controllers / Wii Remotes take 4 slots, Wii U GamePads take the other 2.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
8 is not even a REALISTIC number. There's only 6 compatiable controllers. Wii U Pro Controllers / Wii Remotes take 4 slots, Wii U GamePads take the other 2.
I thought the wiimotes and pro controllers were separate slots. Even if they were, though, I could only see 6 players at once.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well the WiiU could be able to have up to 6 traditional controllers plugged in at once, like the PS3 (plus 2 WiiU Pad. Heck, the WiiU could maybe have even 8.

However, there's no way in heck I see the developers putting that much work into a WiiU Smash to double the player total, especially given that there were lag issues in Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl offline, let alone Brawl's garbage online. Add in the fact Smash WiiU will have incredible graphics, and you got not just loads online lag, but likely offline lag, too.
6 is the biggest I see them go
tl;dr: This thread.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
EPIC! Now with HD it would see prerfect in the screen. Also this would be something that doesnt have Playstation allstar battle royale

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think it would be da bomb

In fact, I made a thread about this in the pre brawl era, for brawl. Didn't work out, though.

However, Sakurai said he was looking to expand the game in ways other than just adding characters and stages. Who knows. With the new game pad the Wii - U will have, 4 wii motes, and the possibility of 3DS's as controllers, we have plenty of options. Not saying it's likely, just not an impossibility.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Rather than having all 8 players on the screen at once, why not implement a tag team mode? As in each player has a backup character they can switchout with.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
A little late but that Japanese 3DS preorder retail card from a couple days ago says 2-4 players for both local multiplayer & online multiplayer.

And I'm doubting Wii U will be different.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Maybe GameCube controllers won't take up slots so with 4 GC + 4 pro controllers/wiimotes/gamepads you could do 8 player...

Raijinken

Smash Master
Would be cool, but I'm not expecting it any time soon. Gamecube controller does make it seem more viable now though.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
8 players? We can't even do 5 players! :p
Seriously, I think it should go one step a time. Maybe just 6 or 5 player battles.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
I'd think at the very maximum, if we even get this option, six characters will be usuable (five players for a single Wii U). I doubt the 3DS could handle twelve Ice Climbers though, let alone sixteen.

I don't think tag-team switches will happen because one of the main reasons they did away with transforming characters was so there wouldn't be a sudden heavy load on the RAM when you swap characters. The 3DS version seems tailored to support four characters with all of its might, and the Wii U version probably will, too.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
I used to like putting four CPU Ice Climbers in a coin battle in a caged cell custom stage and have only bombs turned on. It was fun watching 8 climbers bounce around all over the place.

This made me want 8-player battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom