• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Anybody know where I could find Advent Children at? I plan to watch the movie after I finish FFVII soon.
I'm also hoping to play Crisis Core someday, assuming if I can find a PSP at a cheap price.
kissanime dot com

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
D

Deleted member

I just beat FF9 a few days ago. The final boss... was difficult and it was bothering the hell out of me, so I level grinded and got the best equipment possible to beat him.
Overall, it's a pretty good game. I enjoyed the story, the world and its lore, and characters the most. I prefer 6 and 7 over 9 because those games move at a faster pace, but 9 is still a pretty good game. I hope Vivi gets in Dissidia!

Whats up my dudes. I am back from the dead.
Nothing's up with me lately. Same old same old.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Whats up my dudes. I am back from the dead.
I'm doing good. Decided to try out the Senran Kagura series last night and I gotta say, it's actually pretty good. I'm enjoying it so far.

How about yourself?
I just beat FF9 a few days ago. The final boss... was difficult and it was bothering the hell out of me, so I level grinded and got the best equipment possible to beat him.
Overall, it's a pretty good game. I enjoyed the story, the world and its lore, and characters the most. I prefer 6 and 7 over 9 because those games move at a faster pace, but 9 is still a pretty good game. I hope Vivi gets in Dissidia!
It's a bit of a shame that the final boss is not mentioned throughout the whole game and just appears out of the blue though. No build up or anything, he's just kinda... there, at least to me.
Anywho, if you decide to play it again at some point, are you willing to try the challenge of getting the best weapon in the game, the Excalibur II?

D

Deleted member

It's a bit of a shame that the final boss is not mentioned throughout the whole game and just appears out of the blue though. No build up or anything, he's just kinda... there, at least to me.
Anywho, if you decide to play it again at some point, are you willing to try the challenge of getting the best weapon in the game, the Excalibur II?
I feel the same way about the final boss. No buildup and he just comes out of nowhere, but is apparently important to the world of FF9.
The reference to Yoda though... that's somewhat lazy in my eyes.
As for getting Excalibur II...
Never. I like to explore as much as possible and getting to that point in 12 hours is ridiculous.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm having a bit of a crisis here concerning my PS4. I was getting ready to use it the other day to play some games when all of a sudden, the controller wasn't responding when I pressed the PS button to turn it on. I pressed the power button on the console, plugged the USB cable on it and then on the controller thinking that it may need a battery charge (although I was 100% sure it should still be at least half charged since I used it two days prior) but the damn thing still isn't working. Not sure what went wrong with it since I really haven't been using my PS4 that much and I don't know what to do here. I don't like the thought of having to pay $40 or so for a replacement.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I'm having a bit of a crisis here concerning my PS4. I was getting ready to use it the other day to play some games when all of a sudden, the controller wasn't responding when I pressed the PS button to turn it on. I pressed the power button on the console, plugged the USB cable on it and then on the controller thinking that it may need a battery charge (although I was 100% sure it should still be at least half charged since I used it two days prior) but the damn thing still isn't working. Not sure what went wrong with it since I really haven't been using my PS4 that much and I don't know what to do here. I don't like the thought of having to pay $40 or so for a replacement.
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/225366/PS4+beeps+once+than+turns+off

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Not very helpful here. I've tried holding the reset button for several seconds (I wish they would've been more specific as to how long exactly) but it's still not working... -_-
Sorry to hear that, bud. I would call Sony's support line, myself.

But I want to get the discussion rolling on Cloud's viability and ranking (if we can without getting everyone's jimmies rustled.)
Frankly, I think he's somewhere between mid and high-tier, like so:

[:4dedede:]--[TOP]--[HIGH]--:4cloud:--[MID]--[LOW]--[BOTTOM]

He's got a lot going for him; decent speed and weight, both a good punish and a good combo game, great kill power, and a recovery that's hampered only by a linear up-special that doesn't always ledge-snap.

But he's not perfect, nor should he be. As we all know, his recovery is his Achilles heel, and he struggles with being juggled by some characters, and some of his kills rely on good reads; But it seems that as of late, whenever VGBC or some other 'Tuber posts a "Cloud vs. X" video, the comments are full of people complaining about Cloud needing nerfs. And it's an unfortunate truth that several highly-respected players like ESAM have said (apparently) some rather inflammatory things about Cloud being number one, or too good, etc.

I'd like to open up a discussion over it, if the forum permits.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Sorry to hear that, bud. I would call Sony's support line, myself.

But I want to get the discussion rolling on Cloud's viability and ranking (if we can without getting everyone's jimmies rustled.)
Frankly, I think he's somewhere between mid and high-tier, like so:

[:4dedede:]--[TOP]--[HIGH]--:4cloud:--[MID]--[LOW]--[BOTTOM]

He's got a lot going for him; decent speed and weight, both a good punish and a good combo game, great kill power, and a recovery that's hampered only by a linear up-special that doesn't always ledge-snap.

But he's not perfect, nor should he be. As we all know, his recovery is his Achilles heel, and he struggles with being juggled by some characters, and some of his kills rely on good reads; But it seems that as of late, whenever VGBC or some other 'Tuber posts a "Cloud vs. X" video, the comments are full of people complaining about Cloud needing nerfs. And it's an unfortunate truth that several highly-respected players like ESAM have said (apparently) some rather inflammatory things about Cloud being number one, or too good, etc.

I'd like to open up a discussion over it, if the forum permits.
I respect your opinion and I like how you wrote out this post.

I personally think that Cloud is anywhere between 7-10 on the Tier List and I could list some reasons behind my statement. It's no secret that Cloud's Recovery is pretty linear. Once you intercept Cloud's Recovery he's pretty much dead with out Limit Break. Speaking of Limit you can get rid of it quick like if you throw Cloud off the stage and force him to use it restraining him from using his best kill options. Another reason is that Cloud doesn't have any confirms out of a grab at highers percents and his Grab Range is pretty poor. About Top Players complaining about him.. I don't really think that Cloud is broken or anything but, I do think that he does need maybe a few nerfs mostly LB Cross Slash and his F-smash even Cloud players have to agree with me that those moves are pretty ridiculous lol. Overall Cloud is a good character with a couple of flaws and I think he's a tad bit overratted I think because it seems like everyone has a Pocket Cloud in competive play.

So, I pratice sometimes with a Lucario player and he tends to get a bit salty over some things. I've been told that I short hop too much. I mostly short hop alot especially when I'm in Limit Break because Cloud's Air Speed is ridiculously good and I mostly do it to try and bait out an attack and punish with an attack. I don't really see it as much of a problem but, my sparring partner tends to complain about it. So I'm asking do you guys short hop alot?

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I respect your opinion and I like how you wrote out this post.

I personally think that Cloud is anywhere between 7-10 on the Tier List and I could list some reasons behind my statement. It's no secret that Cloud's Recovery is pretty linear. Once you intercept Cloud's Recovery he's pretty much dead with out Limit Break. Speaking of Limit you can get rid of it quick like if you throw Cloud off the stage and force him to use it restraining him from using his best kill options. Another reason is that Cloud doesn't have any confirms out of a grab at highers percents and his Grab Range is pretty poor. About Top Players complaining about him.. I don't really think that Cloud is broken or anything but, I do think that he does need maybe a few nerfs mostly LB Cross Slash and his F-smash even Cloud players have to agree with me that those moves are pretty ridiculous lol. Overall Cloud is a good character with a couple of flaws and I think he's a tad bit overratted I think because it seems like everyone has a Pocket Cloud in competive play.

So, I pratice sometimes with a Lucario player and he tends to get a bit salty over some things. I've been told that I short hop too much. I mostly short hop alot especially when I'm in Limit Break because Cloud's Air Speed is ridiculously good and I mostly do it to try and bait out an attack and punish with an attack. I don't really see it as much of a problem but, my sparring partner tends to complain about it. So I'm asking do you guys short hop alot?
I don't shorthop near as much as I should. RAR nairs are nasty.
I have to say that I disagree with your statement about nerfing Cloud though. LB Cross Slash is crazy good, yeah, but that means sacrificing your limit (which hampers your recovery, and takes 6 seconds to charge, lol.) FSmash comes out so slow that I hardly ever see anyone intentionally use it in competitive play, and even fewer players get killed by it.

Eh, maybe I'm just a little defensive about it because he's my dream character. The dream that actually became reality.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
I must say I'm proud to call this thread my home.

I consider Cloud mains who have played FFVII as legit SOLDIER first class.
What about people who have beaten Ruby Weapon LEGIT (no funny gimmicks) with no Final Attack+Pheonix, etc. with only Yuffie? Do I get like top-tier SOLDIER rankings? (Video will hopefully be up soon.)
Anybody know where I could find Advent Children at? I plan to watch the movie after I finish FFVII soon.
I'm also hoping to play Crisis Core someday, assuming if I can find a PSP at a cheap price.
I posted it earlier in the thread on page 137 i think. The voice sync is off which makes it bad, but the only other option is to buy it. (which I did later, well worth it)
Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 Fsmash is like Cloud's worst move lmao

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
What about people who have beaten Ruby Weapon LEGIT (no funny gimmicks) with no Final Attack+Pheonix, etc. with only Yuffie? Do I get like top-tier SOLDIER rankings? (Video will hopefully be up soon.)
Well damn. That works too. xD
I posted it earlier in the thread on page 137 i think. The voice sync is off which makes it bad, but the only other option is to buy it. (which I did later, well worth it)
Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 Fsmash is like Cloud's worst move lmao
I don't know. We really haven't bought any movies on DVDs these days.
And I must've missed that post cuz I don't remember.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
It's not his best move but it's not his worst move imo. It can kill early at the edge of the stage if read your opponents ledge recovery right.
That can be said about a lot of moves. Doesn't make them good.
In Cloud's case in particular, he has many more (better) moves for edge-guarding.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
When you play Smash for the first time in forever the day before a tournament expecting to suck
Then you realize that you've actually gotten better and that you don't fall for the bull**** that is roll-behind -> grab anymore
Aaaaaaaand then you realize that you have to go to an overnight camp in a few days that's 3 and a half weeks long and you're going to lose all proficiency with everything video-gamey
@ fsmash it's bad lol. No doubt about it. I've literally NEVER used fsmash against anybody remotely competent. It has a niche use after stuff like dtilt and usmash if you know they'll aerial/drift airdodge right after, fsmash will beat a lot of that out.

On a different topic, I modeled the Ultima Weapon and Lion Heart in Autodesk Maya. These are 100% made by me, not ripped from a game of anything.

Squall: "LION HEART."
Now lets put them in the hands of their wielders, shall we? (the character models are ripped from Dissidia)

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Well, guys, it's been fun. But it's time I moved on. The community has gotten too hostile towards Cloud players, and I've had enough. If anyone needs me, feel free to drop a message on my wall. I'll check in from time to time.

Peace.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well, guys, it's been fun. But it's time I moved on. The community has gotten too hostile towards Cloud players, and I've had enough. If anyone needs me, feel free to drop a message on my wall. I'll check in from time to time.

Peace.
Who cares what other players think. If they tell you that you should pick up another character tell them "Not Intrested" :4cloud:

Honestly, if Cloud wasn't announced back in November I would've probably sold the game already. Final Fantasy is one of my favorite series and Final Fantasy 7 is my favorite game of all time I'll always use :4cloud:(and :4sonic:) regardless of what anyone thinks of them.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Random person: "Cloud is too strong! I hate him so much! Stop picking him all the time and pick someone else!"
Me: "...Not interested."

I mean really, it's my money. My game. My life. My choice. I can play whoever the **** I want to play as.

A little summary as to why I like playing as Cloud.
  • When he was announced back in November, I became interested in Final Fantasy VII (and the series in general) hoping that I would get a chance to play it someday, maybe sooner.
  • Then I heard there's gonna be a remake for the game coming out soon.
  • I watched the trailers for the remake and got really excited.
  • Cloud in Smash and the Final Fantasy VII remake are the two main reasons why I bought a PS4.
  • I used that PS Store discount code that came with the console to buy and download Final Fantasy VII (along with the background theme for the home menu) for $3 cheaper.
  • I started playing it and I'm absolutely loving it.
  • I have absolutely no regrets.
With that being said, I will always play as Cloud (and Rosalina) and I don't give a **** what anyone says. If he wasn't in Smash, none of those things I summarized wouldn't have happened. And I'm happy it did. :)

:4cloud:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I honestly don't care what anyone else says. So what if I am playing Cloud? I'm having fun playing as him! You don't have any right to judge me for who I play as.

I picked up Cloud because:
  1. He's really fun to play as. He's the most fun character for me on the roster. I know he's relatively easy to pick up and play, but he's still a lot of fun to play as.
  2. I enjoyed FF7. It was a fun experience for me and it's my second favorite Final Fantasy, right behind FF6.
  3. I like Cloud as a character. I enjoyed how he developed in FF7 and I actually loved his portrayal in Advent Children, despite what other people think.
  4. Although I have played 4 entries thus far (6, 7, 4, and 9, excluding Dissidia 012 and Crisis Core), I consider myself a fan of the Final Fantasy series and I became invested in it after playing 6. Cloud's confirmation in November was perfect timing for me.
  5. I'M PLAYING AS CLOUD STRIFE IN SMASH BROS.! This is something I never thought would happen and it was a pleasant surprise! The fact that I could play as one of my favorite video game characters against the likes of Mario, Sonic, and Ryu is mind-blowing!
I don't care what other people say or think. I've been through a lot as a former Luigi main before he got patched, so I'm used to it. I'm a Cloud main, a SOLDIER, a member of AVALANCHE... and I'm proud of it.
Embrace your dreams and whatever happens, defend your honor as SOLDIER.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
That can be said about a lot of moves. Doesn't make them good.
In Cloud's case in particular, he has many more (better) moves for edge-guarding.
I never say it's good, it's just a bit exaggerated to say Cloud FSmash is the worst. At least it has high knockback and starts up fast. It's big flaw has to be it's lag.
Indeed, especially with limit gauge charged.
Random person: "Cloud is too strong! I hate him so much! Stop picking him all the time and pick someone else!"
Me: "...Not interested."

I mean really, it's my money. My game. My life. My choice. I can play whoever the **** I want to play as.

A little summary as to why I like playing as Cloud.
  • When he was announced back in November, I became interested in Final Fantasy VII (and the series in general) hoping that I would get a chance to play it someday, maybe sooner.
  • Then I heard there's gonna be a remake for the game coming out soon.
  • I watched the trailers for the remake and got really excited.
  • Cloud in Smash and the Final Fantasy VII remake are the two main reasons why I bought a PS4.
  • I used that PS Store discount code that came with the console to buy and download Final Fantasy VII (along with the background theme for the home menu) for $3 cheaper.
  • I started playing it and I'm absolutely loving it.
  • I have absolutely no regrets.
With that being said, I will always play as Cloud (and Rosalina) and I don't give a **** what anyone says. If he wasn't in Smash, none of those things I summarized wouldn't have happened. And I'm happy it did. :)

:4cloud:
What annoyed me sometimes when I played with my brother is that he changes his character a lot even when I kept losing. Like I want to beat his Corrin but he just change to Captain Falcon, which pisses me off...

I don't really see anything negative about Cloud in Smash. Kind of odd that some people say it doesn't make any sense, some say he shouldn't be the FF rep but Geno instead etc... I mean Cloud's reveal was the most astonishing, probably the most hype and unexpected. The more I watch his gameplay later on, I notice he just fits my playing type. Both Ike and Shulk moves are too slow to come out. Link and Toon Link are just complicated to use.

And like you I also got interested to Final Fantasy, this is also one of the reason why Smash Bros is popular. It introduces you many series. So for the ones who ones to know many video game franchise by just buying one game, go buy Smash Bros.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
While I don't main Cloud in Smash 4, I love playing Cloud so much in this game to the point where it gets addicting and I feel is worth having as a secondary option. Most of the reasons of why I play Cloud a lot are the same as Tino Tino and @Xeno610, but one other reason of why I like using him is how he has 2 clear weakness in his grab game and in his recovery without limit to counter his overwhelming strengths.

I must admit that even though I was well aware of Final Fantasy and had respect for the franchise, I just was not interested in the series for whatever reason. But then when Cloud was revealed and the way he was revealed triggered my curiosity. I still have yet to play a single Final Fantasy game to this point, but I really want to get a PS4 just for that remake alone and I want to give the classics a chance some day as well including FF1, FF4, FF6, and FF7 to name a few.

One last thing that I wanted to add was that I just stumbled across this video the other day and I couldn't stop laughing.

I know it supposed to be a gag on how Cloud is so good and so easy to use that almost everyone uses him as a pocket character, but still though. This video is solid gold. :joyful:

D

Deleted member

I still have yet to play a single Final Fantasy game to this point, but I really want to get a PS4 just for that remake alone and I want to give the classics a chance some day as well including FF1, FF4, FF6, and FF7 to name a few.
You should definitely play 6 and 7; 6 is my favorite while 7 is my second favorite. I also recommend you play 9 because, despite the pace being a bit slow, it does a great job at world building, character development, and lore and it's still pretty fun.
If you want to play 4, don't play the DS version. Buy the PSP version or download the original on the Wii (also known as FF2 in the US). The DS port is really hard...
I can't say much on FF1. I heard some good things about it, but I've also heard how dated it was.

Speaking of which, FF10 came in the mail today. I'll play it eventually... I just have a trip that I need to go on soon.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Okay so this is going to be... a little bit of a weird and probably pathetic post. But I'd really like to hear the perspective of other Cloud players on this one.

I'm a HUGE Final Fantasy nut, always have been. While 7 isn't my favorite of the series, I l still love it to bits. So when Cloud was announced, I told myself I was going to put my entire being into learning him because I WANTED him to be my main. I wanted to finally be able to represent one of my favorite series in Smash, no matter how bad he may end up being.

But as we all know, he was FAR from being bad and is considered among the best.

I've almost always gravitated towards the mid tier and sometimes lower, purely because A. They're characters I've liked on a personal level and B. I've never felt the need to go high or top tiers, not even at my weekly local. Because I know that, while I'm good, I'm never going to reach EVO tier levels of good at Smash.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that I've always felt dirty using Cloud for his general tourney placement alone. Winning is nice, sure, and I get pretty far in my local with my Megaman and Shulk, but despite putting countless hours into those two they've never gotten me as good of results as Cloud as has by a long shot. I know it's a tournament, and there's money on the line, so I shouldn't feel BAD using a character that gets results, that's the entire ****ing reason people pick them in high level play. But its just a local tourney, and I just... I don't know. Maybe I'm just too nice of a guy but I get the opposite of satisfaction seeing someone grumble away after losing to a Cloud. And considering I'm the same way with Mario (I've always detested how easy he is to use), I'd be a complete hypocrite.

But at this point I feel picking Cloud is the best way to go, even if he IS carrying me more than my other picks. He's been pocket status for awhile but I feel I need to stop treating him like that and just ****ing play him. I dunno. But I've jumped between 'mains' too many times and it isn't healthy for my progression as a player, because I feel like I'm avoiding the obvious truth. To anyone that goes to locals especially, how do you deal with this? Do you even HAVE to deal with it and I'm maybe just being paranoid? I dunno, it's just been a weird night for me...

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Anyone who accuses a player of being carried by their main of choice is a pathetic scrub who needs to put up or shut up. Period.

Yes, Cloud is good. No, he's not the second coming of Brawl Meta Knight or Melee Fox or Ver. 1 Bayonetta. The onus is on your opponent to learn the MU and exploit Cloud's weaknesses, of which there are many (EDIT: OK, more like several.)

Play Cloud if you want. He's finally in Smash, and I for one am not going to let the scrubs and haters browbeat me into playing as someone else.

EDIT: Guess that means I'm back. That was a quick trip.

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Okay so this is going to be... a little bit of a weird and probably pathetic post. But I'd really like to hear the perspective of other Cloud players on this one.

I'm a HUGE Final Fantasy nut, always have been. While 7 isn't my favorite of the series, I l still love it to bits. So when Cloud was announced, I told myself I was going to put my entire being into learning him because I WANTED him to be my main. I wanted to finally be able to represent one of my favorite series in Smash, no matter how bad he may end up being.

But as we all know, he was FAR from being bad and is considered among the best.

I've almost always gravitated towards the mid tier and sometimes lower, purely because A. They're characters I've liked on a personal level and B. I've never felt the need to go high or top tiers, not even at my weekly local. Because I know that, while I'm good, I'm never going to reach EVO tier levels of good at Smash.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that I've always felt dirty using Cloud for his general tourney placement alone. Winning is nice, sure, and I get pretty far in my local with my Megaman and Shulk, but despite putting countless hours into those two they've never gotten me as good of results as Cloud as has by a long shot. I know it's a tournament, and there's money on the line, so I shouldn't feel BAD using a character that gets results, that's the entire ****ing reason people pick them in high level play. But its just a local tourney, and I just... I don't know. Maybe I'm just too nice of a guy but I get the opposite of satisfaction seeing someone grumble away after losing to a Cloud. And considering I'm the same way with Mario (I've always detested how easy he is to use), I'd be a complete hypocrite.

But at this point I feel picking Cloud is the best way to go, even if he IS carrying me more than my other picks. He's been pocket status for awhile but I feel I need to stop treating him like that and just ****ing play him. I dunno. But I've jumped between 'mains' too many times and it isn't healthy for my progression as a player, because I feel like I'm avoiding the obvious truth. To anyone that goes to locals especially, how do you deal with this? Do you even HAVE to deal with it and I'm maybe just being paranoid? I dunno, it's just been a weird night for me...
The only time I've ever felt even kind of dirty playing a character in any Smash game was Diddy pre-patch 1.0.6 for obvious reasons. It's one thing when a character is really good, it's another if you're also really simple (I'm talking 1+1=2 levels of simple) and doing d-throw>uair over and over again wasn't really all that fun and was kind of boring. Now that Diddy is a lot more fair, I use him a lot more and it feels a lot more satisfying playing a character that I grew up with that no longer is full of cheese.

Usually when I play a character a lot in any Smash game, they tend to have most of these traits, if not, all of these traits.
  • Aesthetics: I know this might sound strange to some people out there, but if a character I play as doesn't look right in my eyes, it can be a little distracting. Each Smash game has different aesthetics. If one character I play a lot looks good or at least alright in one game, but in another game that same character doesn't look right; I probably won't play that character much, if at all.
  • Unique move, moveset, and/or mechanics that appeal to me: It's always nice to have something to offer that almost, if not, no other character can do.
  • They feel natural: If you're forcing something to work, you're gonna have a bad time. Especially if the motivation isn't there as it will never click.
  • They can compete: I like to have fun, but I also want to win, and win in a legit way since I like competing and even more so if the other player(s) feel the same way I do. :)
  • A lot of nostalgic value: It's one thing to have fun and/or to win, but the amount of enjoyment and satisfaction you get when you do it with a character you grew up with during your childhood, teenhood, etc, is on a whole other level as you tend to have history and identification on your side. It's one of the biggest reasons, if not, the biggest reason we all play Smash even to this day.
If people don't like the fact that you're playing Cloud, they either need to pray for nerfs, learn the match up, or counter pick as Cloud does not win every match up. If they still can't do any of those things, then it's their problem and it shouldn't be yours.

Even though there are some moves and stats I would like to get buffed, nerfed, or changed because there are certain characters I like and don't like myself, I'm not going to be all sour grapes about it. That's just being a spoiled brat and that's not a good thing.

Last time I checked, Cloud isn't broken. Yes he is really easy to use, but he has flaws that can be exploited and his strengths aren't THAT overwhelming. This MIGHT be the only time that Cloud ever does appear in Smash considering how difficult it was to get him in Smash 4 compared to other characters. Play Cloud and play him to your heart's content. :)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Why would anyone feel "dirty" about playing a character you like to play as just cuz that character was or is considered by many to be "too good" or whatever? The only thing I feel when I play as my favorites like Cloud, Rosalina and Link is the enjoyment of playing Smash. I play to have fun and nothing more.

Besides, I'm not that good at competitive Smash anyways so I don't see any reason why I should feel dirty.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
The only time anyone should ever feel dirty playing a character is when said character has an abusable exploit that makes the game easier, sometimes too easy, or is overpowered.

Cloud doesn't come to mind for me in that regard, Oddjob from Goldeneye does (there's a special place in gaming hell for those who play him).

D

Deleted member

Bruuuuuuuuuuhhhhh.....
I'm not a fan of FF4, but Kain's pretty awesome. Glad to see another character from Dissidia 012 get confirmed!

The only time anyone should ever feel dirty playing a character is when said character has an abusable exploit that makes the game easier, sometimes too easy, or is overpowered.

Cloud doesn't come to mind for me in that regard, Oddjob from Goldeneye does (there's a special place in gaming hell for those who play him).
I understand how you felt.
Before the nerfs, I played around with Diddy Kong when he had his infamous Hoo-Hah. I felt dirty playing as him because I felt like I wasn't winning through pure skill, but because my character had a simple one and two combo that can kill the majority of the cast pretty early.

Cloud's easy to play and I do think he's top 5, but I don't feel dirty playing as Cloud. I think he's an amazing character, but I don't find him to be unfair, unbeatable, or braindead.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Before the nerfs, I played around with Diddy Kong when he had his infamous Hoo-Hah. I felt dirty playing as him because I felt like I wasn't winning through pure skill, but because my character had a simple one and two combo that can kill the majority of the cast pretty early.
Dude, you just perfectly described my experience playing as the agile chimp back when he ruled this game with an iron fist. I can not like your comment enough. lol

I'm not sure if I would have Cloud in the top 5, but if he isn't, he's right outside it. He's in that 4-6 area with Fox and Mario imo.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Bruuuuuuuuuuhhhhh.....
Daym. Hope that means Tifa and other 012 newcomers can come back too... only, you know, make Tifa not horrible. I need my Monk class love.

Last edited:

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
I think Square Enix said that all characters that appeared in the previous Dissidia titles are coming back for this, so Tifa is a lock. Though I'm more looking forward to Ultimecia, Yuna, Jecht, Kuja and the newcomers that are on the way.

D

Deleted member

Actually, I was wondering, which newcomers do you guys want to see the most in the new Dissidia? I personally want to see Vivi, Zack, Barret, Seifer, Rinoa, Celes, Locke, Edgar, Sabin, and Mog.

I'm admittedly curious as to how Laguna will be like. I hope Man With The Machine Gun will be remixed.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Actually, I was wondering, which newcomers do you guys want to see the most in the new Dissidia? I personally want to see Vivi, Zack, Barret, Seifer, Rinoa, Celes, Locke, Edgar, Sabin, and Mog.

I'm admittedly curious as to how Laguna will be like. I hope Man With The Machine Gun will be remixed.
Vivi and Mog would be nice, I feel Dissidia needs more not-exactly-humans. Heck, add Chocobo while we're at it. Kill em with cuteness.

I think Square Enix said that all characters that appeared in the previous Dissidia titles are coming back for this, so Tifa is a lock. Though I'm more looking forward to Ultimecia, Yuna, Jecht, Kuja and the newcomers that are on the way.
If that is true, I'd honestly like to see them adapt Yuna's X-2 style more. But without her we'd also be deprived of the Summoner love so... hm.

EDIT: Actually, with how Summons work in this version having Yuna as the Summoner would be kinda redundant. So yeah, go X-2.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Dude, you just perfectly described my experience playing as the agile chimp back when he ruled this game with an iron fist. I can not like your comment enough. lol

I'm not sure if I would have Cloud in the top 5, but if he isn't, he's right outside it. He's in that 4-6 area with Fox and Mario imo.
7-10, imo.
Bruuuuuuuuuuhhhhh.....
Welp, time to go lock in that pre-order. Seriously, dragoons FTW.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Oh hey, that reminds me: did anyone else catch Alpharad's hidden tech video concerning Cloud a while back? It's pretty good.

Top Bottom