• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Well it's pretty fast, honestly. In terms of hitstun dealt, you probably only have a few frames to take an actual action. The computers (on certain chars, which is why I believe it's dependent on stats) aren't able to react, and they have frame 1 reaction time. Alternatively, maybe they're just taking the wrong action (for example, they'll always attempt to roll out of LB Cross Slash and get hit, which led me to believe it was unblockable... stupid CPUs >:T) and I'm just wrong. Nevertheless, seems like its an okay sort of string. Maybe pull this out once per set.
I don't play the game a lot, but would trying to turn around by stalling with a side b in the other direction, and then using a bair with a jump (depending on the height) be good as well? you don't really need to stall with a side b, but turning at all to get the hit is what im really getting at.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
I don't play the game a lot, but would trying to turn around by stalling with a side b in the other direction, and then using a bair with a jump (depending on the height) be good as well? you don't really need to stall with a side b, but turning at all to get the hit is what im really getting at.
you could probably just RAR the bair if thats what you want. However, you probably wouldn't be able to follow up jab with this\, especially offstage because you need to jump first and jab's semispike angle doesn't agree with that.

Unless you mean jabbing, jumping off, turning with side b, then jumping and bairing, catching somebody's jump if they happen to try to jump back to stage after the jab?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
you could probably just RAR the bair if thats what you want. However, you probably wouldn't be able to follow up jab with this\, especially offstage because you need to jump first and jab's semispike angle doesn't agree with that.

Unless you mean jabbing, jumping off, turning with side b, then jumping and bairing, catching somebody's jump if they happen to try to jump back to stage after the jab?
yeah thats what i mean

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
"Not very good in the air"

Unless he's talking regular Climhazzard, UAir, NAir and DAir say hi.
yeh cloud's aerials are excellent, but I think Sakurai in general tends to refer to special moves more than a lot of people, so he probably meant vanilla climhazzard. What Smooth Criminal said is true aswell.
yeah thats what i mean
Well Cross slash is a little slow for that, and stalling in general, but I could def see it working

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman

I keep forgetting you can RAR in this game. I guess from there you could short hop off the stage to try to position the bair. Shouldn't be hard, its as big as texas. But the only other worry there would be recovering if you miss.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
I keep forgetting you can RAR in this game. I guess from there you could short hop off the stage to try to position the bair. Shouldn't be hard, its as big as texas. But the only other worry there would be recovering if you miss.
Oh, or you could walljump bair, I think?

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Is that possible? I thought you face out when you jump from a wall? unless you were still thinking of using the side b or some form of b-reversing to stall and turn into the bair first?
That's what i thought, I cant test right now but yeah.

EDIT but walljump nair is a really good gimp tool

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
That's what i thought, I cant test right now but yeah.

EDIT but walljump nair is a really good gimp tool
would wall jump fair be good for people who are recovering under or at level with the ledge? I'd imagine itd be easier to sweetspot.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
would wall jump fair be good for people who are recovering under or at level with the ledge? I'd imagine itd be easier to sweetspot.
Wall jump fair might have too much lag to recover from easily. I know that you can only barely recover from a runoff fair, so it probably has too much lag

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I agree with -m0 -m0 . I guess I would only do that if I had the Limit Break fully charged (and it's the last stock) but your burning your Limit Break for Recovery though.

D

Deleted member

So Sourcegaming put up an article about Cloud in Smash. It's an interesting read. It partially talks about how he managed to get in, as well as his design process:

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/
Pretty interesting stuff.
I guess Sakurai did think about other Final Fantasy characters, though chose Cloud for both requests and star power. I was right at guessing that Cloud was intended to be an easy character to pick up and play because a lot of people were going to play him. It's also interesting how even Sakurai had a hard time transitioning Cloud into Smash.
However, Cloud having a poor air game is not true, unless he thinks a poor air game means having an abysmal recovery.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
So Sourcegaming put up an article about Cloud in Smash. It's an interesting read. It partially talks about how he managed to get in, as well as his design process:

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/
It's good to know that there were other Final Fantasy characters Sakuari considered adding in Smash and I can see why Cloud was chosen over all the other potential candidates from the series, not just by fan requests. He did a great job implementing him into the game and I think Nomura should also get most of the credit for giving Sakurai the green light real easily.

Last edited:

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Pretty interesting stuff.
I guess Sakurai did think about other Final Fantasy characters, though chose Cloud for both requests and star power. I was right at guessing that Cloud was intended to be an easy character to pick up and play because a lot of people were going to play him. It's also interesting how even Sakurai had a hard time transitioning Cloud into Smash.
However, Cloud having a poor air game is not true, unless he thinks a poor air game means having an abysmal recovery.
Actually Cloud's airgame is what I think is the most prevalent attribute. When I think of Cloud's "gimmick", I don't think Limit Break. I think "great landing lag and huge and lasting aerial hitboxes". Which brings up another question. What would you guys think of Cloud without Limit Break? By this I don't mean straight up just remove Limit from his toolkit. What I mean is if he didn't have Limit, his "stats" would be better. This hypothetical Cloud would get some of the buffs he receives during Limit Break normally, such as jump height, weight, fallspeed, and he would have some things improved about his normally mediocre specials. Climhazzard would probably snap and give more horizontal control and most likely more height. Blade Beam might be transcendent or travel faster and do more damage. Cross Slash would link properly and probably kill in the 130's/140's. Obviously he'd have a different down b, but I don't know what that would be. What do you guys think of this?

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
So, speaking of possible FF characters..

If they were to add another FF represantive who would you want?

Id say Kefka. Villian, would have interesting moveset and started on a Nintendo console. Unlikely yes, Cool also yes.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Actually Cloud's airgame is what I think is the most prevalent attribute. When I think of Cloud's "gimmick", I don't think Limit Break. I think "great landing lag and huge and lasting aerial hitboxes". Which brings up another question. What would you guys think of Cloud without Limit Break? By this I don't mean straight up just remove Limit from his toolkit. What I mean is if he didn't have Limit, his "stats" would be better. This hypothetical Cloud would get some of the buffs he receives during Limit Break normally, such as jump height, weight, fallspeed, and he would have some things improved about his normally mediocre specials. Climhazzard would probably snap and give more horizontal control and most likely more height. Blade Beam might be transcendent or travel faster and do more damage. Cross Slash would link properly and probably kill in the 130's/140's. Obviously he'd have a different down b, but I don't know what that would be. What do you guys think of this?
Sounds like an interesting concept. I would've like for blade beam could break apart from the point of impact like it did in the game. Although, wouldn't that have negative points like not being able to pressure the opponent to come to us? And I would assume that our other choice for a down b would be his missing limit, meteorain.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo

Id say Kefka. Villian, would have interesting moveset and started on a Nintendo console. Unlikely yes, Cool also yes.
To be honest? I would chose Sephiroth. Much as it would arguably tick off the internet, when you think of Final Fantasy villains...

Who do most think of? It's the same as who do you think of when you think of Final Fantasy heroes? Cloud and Sephiroth would just compliment one another really well. Difficult as it'd be to try and balance Sephiroth's Masamune when it comes to range, I can see them doing it if they could make something as large as the Buster Sword or the Monado work.

Cloud & Sephiroth would be a pretty wicked Final Fantasy combo, I hafta say. It's hard to call Sephiroth overrated anymore because most people on the internet call for Kefka anyways (not a slight against them, I love Kefka too).

SonicvMario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicvMario
3DS FC
4957-5533-0802

I'd say Noctis since he'd advertise FFXV and also because it would be cool to have a teleportation move for something other than recovery and he could have multiple weapons instead of just a sword

D

Deleted member

That's an interesting way to put it.
As for a Cloud without Limit Break, I guess Cloud would still be seen as a pretty good character. However, I love Limit Break because it adds so many possibilities and strategies with him. To remove it, I don't think Cloud would be as interesting.

Personally, I would pick Terra. I understand Sakurai's concern that not many people would know her and there would be many "Who is this?", but I think she would be a great choice as another Final Fantasy rep. She may not be as popular as Cloud, but she is one of the most likable characters in the franchise and helped pave the way for other FF females like Tifa and Aerith. Final Fantasy 6 is also debatably the most popular Final Fantasy that ever appeared on a Nintendo console as well. She could be very unique with a projectile zoning moveset.
If she somehow got in, I would just explode!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

Anyone would do really, as long as this character appeals to me like it did with Cloud.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Sounds like an interesting concept. I would've like for blade beam could break apart from the point of impact like it did in the game. Although, wouldn't that have negative points like not being able to pressure the opponent to come to us? And I would assume that our other choice for a down b would be his missing limit, meteorain.
Of course it would have negative points. I'm talking about if, when they made Cloud, they decided to give him his moveset from this game, but removed Limit Break, giving him buffs to his underwhelming specials along the way. Would he be a better character with these improved specials and mobility and weight buffs?
I would've like for blade beam could break apart from the point of impact like it did in the game.
I would've liked Climhazzard to go as far up as it does in Advent Children. :troll:

EDIT: I put a gfy here but I can't see it. Can you guys?

Last edited:

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
It's there
I can see it crystal clear.
Yeah on my phone I can see it.
Of course it would have negative points. I'm talking about if, when they made Cloud, they decided to give him his moveset from this game, but removed Limit Break, giving him buffs to his underwhelming specials along the way. Would he be a better character with these improved specials and mobility and weight buffs?

What do you think about this tho?

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133

Terra. She would be an ok Sword fighter, But would be dangerous with her powerful magic attacks like Ice, fire 3 ' Break, and Thunder 3. Her final Smash she could turn into her esper form and have increased Magic abilities.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011

Cecil or Kain.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord

Tifa :3

yes I realize we have a bunch of fist fighters already shut up

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Hey everyone its been a very long time but I have returned. I was messing around today in training mode, and with LB, if you hit someone with nair and at around 40 ish and they dont tech you get a free finishing touch or cross slash.

Anyways whats up everyone?

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Hey everyone its been a very long time but I have returned. I was messing around today in training mode, and with LB, if you hit someone with nair and at around 40 ish and they dont tech you get a free finishing touch or cross slash.

Anyways whats up everyone?
We thought we lost you! :3

Top Bottom