• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I know the feels Zidane can combo into hp atks so he touches you once and you might just die. I feel like Cloud hits like an ice cream truck, also am I the only one that's sad because Cloud doesn't have Firaga.
That moment when you bust them into walls with a finishing swing...
Lame Buster Sword jokes for days...

It would have been cool to be able to use some for of magic but it doesn't really capture the essence of Cloud. He's a swordsman before anything. And really, magic in FF7 was just harnessed power from materia rather than from the user's body. The Midgar stage definitely shows the relevance of materia through the summons. The Limit Breaks being used as Cloud's specials is absolutely perfect

I'm not sure if this was discussed before my post or not, but do you think that Steve Burton will still play the role as Cloud's voice actor?
I don't think we're getting an English VA.

Project Crysis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cryis45
3DS FC
1521-5275-7397
Oh I found this don't know if anyone here has seen this, but it's pretty good turns out he can jab out of dash

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Oh I found this don't know if anyone here has seen this, but it's pretty good turns out he can jab out of dash
I might be over-hyped about everything but if it actually is possible, his viability is pretty much engraved on a slab of titanium.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just because i'm a huge FFX mark, I came up with special moves for Tidus if he were in Smash Bros.

:GCB:: Energy Rain

A smaller version of Tidus' 3rd Overdrirve where he uses the energy wave on his opponents. It can be charged and then shot normally.

:GCL:/:GCR::GCB:: Slice and Dice

A quick hit special that's from Tidus' 2nd Overdrive. He quickly attacks his opponent and then moves away to gain space.

:GCU::GCB:: Spiral Cut

A great recovery move from Tidus' 1st Overdrive. He's able to obtain great vertical distance whilst attacking people he comes in to contact with.

:GCD::GCB:: Weapon Switch

Based on the many swords Tidus can equip in FFX. Among these swords are the Longsword, Brotherhood, and the Excalibur. When at very high damages, Tidus can equip his ultimate weapon, the Caladbolg for greater damage and knockback

Final Smash :GCB:: Blitz Ace

Tidus' 4th and last Overdrive. In a very similar manner to the overdrive from the game, he locks on to an opponent (or opponents) like Meta Knight does for his Final Smash and delivers a series of strikes with his sword. He then jumps in the air and the Overdrive minigame comes which the player has to hit the white square for the most damage and knockback. He then uses the Sphere Shot with his Blitzball that crashes in to the stage, doing massive damage to those who are hit.

Here's a good visual for the Final Smash.

*Skip to 0:34*

I'll do one for Squall as well later.

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Hm, since Cloud is more of a powerhouse, I'm sure he'd be perfect added along my other 2 mains. (Meta Knight is all speed and Lucina is moreso balance/all around.) Granted, I might choose otherwise later when he comes out, kinda like with Mewtwo (poor Mewtwo), but I find it unlikely.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Actually, considering Final Fantasy Explorers is coming out, anyone have thoughts on that? It looks awesome imo
Very interested. I'd say Theatrhythm was a good gateway into Final Fantasy for me, and I plan to play this a lot with my really close friend that's a lifelong FF fan.

Cloud in Smash has also greatly increased my interest in the FFVII remake.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I'm kind of tired of Steve, tbh. I don't mind the Japanese voice actor at all.
I've never really liked his voice for Cloud (he. can't. emote) and I really hope they pass on giving Cloud an English voice.

His JP voice actor nails it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Nah, I really like Cloud's english voice. Steve voicing Cloud is a must for me.

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I ain't even mad. As long as he's good enough to rattle the meta, I'm okay. Shoot, I'll play him if he counters mario or luigi.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'm not sure if this was discussed before my post or not, but do you think that Steve Burton will still play the role as Cloud's voice actor?
If he's always been Cloud's english voice actor than we'll most likely get Steve Burton, while Japan get's his japanese voice actor. If his english dialog hasn't been recorded yet I can't imagine it would take long to record for Smash 4. Or it's been finished this whole time and Cloud's japanese voice actor has priority over his western voice.

Either way I'm down with whatever they choose.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Just a reminder guys, but every newcomer of smash 4 gets a Poster/Artwork from the companie/studio that owns it.

Cloud will get one as well, so take your guesses, Tetsuya nomura or Yoshi taka Amano? While Nomura was the logical choice, by being the lead artist of Final Fantasy VII, an Amano artwork would be a cool throwback to the original artstyle of the franquise (If only we could get 2 posters, :S)
Amano would be pretty slick for the style alone. I don't really like when his artstyle is used unaltered ingame (portraits in 6 and even worse, the newer versions of 5), as I always tend to prefer the ingame spritework, but I can't deny he has a great style just for the art itself.
Also I can't wait to see the poster and say "Oh, so there's Pit..." - "Actually, that's how he draws Mario."

Nomura would be pretty cool, too.

Exciting! I never played Final Fantasy or had a reason to pay much attention to it, so terms like "Limit Break" and "Advent Children" are kinda new to me.

When I saw Cloud, I was like "Oh, woah, really? Cool!" but more excited for y'all since Cloud has been a far-off dream for so long for so, so many! So congrats!

Guess I wanted to drop by, say hi, get in on the hype, cause initial reaction was "Cool, Cloud looks really neat, it'll be fun to fight him, he's just not for me" but now, just because I realized his F-Air spikes, I'm kinda interested more~ I don't think I'll main him of course, but I'd love to try him out and see how far I'll go with him.

Also! ...ahh... I mean... Well to be honest, and am I alone here, but Cloud is pretty edgey, right? Like, tryna be cool? But he actually is cool somehow! His Advent Children costume even, like what, half a jacket? This is tryin too hard to be cool so much so that it isn't... but... I honestly really do love that outfit haha, I dunno, he just doesn't have that "trying too hard" vibe that characters like Dark Pit or Shadow the Hedgehog (pffft) do! Cloud's actually cool to me! And Im ganna use that edgey Advent Children alt as much as I can haha
Hah, his 'edgeyness' coming off as being a bit phoney is actually a plot point in FFVII.
One of the characters says something along the lines of: "Every time I start thinking you're cunning you turn around and say something incredibly stupid."
I'm pretty sure he will. There's plenty of reasons why he might have not been in the announcement, probably due to time constraints.

The only time I didn't like his performance as Cloud was in the original Dissidia, and apparently that game had either really crappy or no voice direction at all.
I mean, have you heard how he says "burn..." when you use Fire? It's all the enthusiasm of dead toast. And the FF VII story part of that game orienting itself more with Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children than VII's plot didn't help either.

Dan

Smash Lord
Let me preface this by saying I love Cloud and I'm happy he got in, but c'mon people, Geno? It was really foolish to put Cloud in before Geno. Does Cloud have any connection to Nintendo? I keep hearing Kingdom Hearts... just stop. His roles in those games are just small cameos.

My guess is he will be released immediately after December's presentation.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Let me preface this by saying I love Cloud and I'm happy he got in, but c'mon people, Geno? It was really foolish to put Cloud in before Geno.
I 101% disagree.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Let me preface this by saying I love Cloud and I'm happy he got in, but c'mon people, Geno? It was really foolish to put Cloud in before Geno. Does Cloud have any connection to Nintendo? I keep hearing Kingdom Hearts... just stop. His roles in those games are just small cameos.

My guess is he will be released immediately after December's presentation.
Sorry, but the fact that Geno has appeared in ONLY one game with but a single tiny cameo in another makes it clear that his popularity and relevance just isn't on the level of Cloud's.

Cloud is here to represent to represent JRPGs as a whole, just as Ryu represents fighting games.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Sorry, but the fact that Geno has appeared in ONLY one game with but a single tiny cameo in another makes it clear that his popularity and relevance just isn't on the level of Cloud's.

Cloud is here to represent to represent JRPGs as a whole, just as Ryu represents fighting games.
Geno represent something important in Nintendo history rather than square-Enix history so he doesn't really rep another 3rd party but rather Mario rep and the popularity doesn't matter.

Black Mage would have been way better choice than Cloud to rep Final fantasy because of his Nintendo history.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Cloud even got in over King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie, who were both extremely popular wishes. It just shows the level that Cloud is at compared to all of those characters. I'm certainly not mad about it all. Other FF characters from the past (when Nintendo actually had all the main FF's) would maybe have been More fitting.

But then again, Cloud is the face of Final Fantasy now. I mean when the remake was announced, Squares' stocks even shot up. It's really on that level.

They tried to make Lightning hype but she's annoying and the games sucked in my opinion. I'm not sure if they're trying to hype up Noctis in any way but from the demo, his game is amazing.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I didn't hate the XIII series nearly as much as most, but I agree that Lightning was a rather poorly-designed character. But the music was pretty good, and I like it when the series embraces a more futuristic vibe.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
So do I. Final Fantasy 7 had the perfect blend of futuristic technology added into the world. FF13 was definitely all future. It looks like FF15 is kinda going down the FF7 route as well from what I can tell but with a huge medieval take on it. Definitely not complaining about that. The cities and castles from the trailers look incredible

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
So, just a quick question, seeing as I'm not at all familiar with Final Fantasy... (Yes, I'm that guy)
Why does Cloud float when he dashes? Is that just a thing that he does, or... I dunno, it just seems unusual to me. Does it originate from anything in particular, is what I'm asking, I suppose. :p
advent children.

suddenly everyone in the ff universe can fly or super jump for no freakin reason after that dreck.

Kinda makes that climb to shinra HQ kind of a joke in hindsight.

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
that feel when you know for a fact the ballots were actually full of sephiroth requests by far than that of cloud.
Oh dear god. Just imagine that reach.

Just to get confirmation, has or will nintendo post the actual ballot results? Because if they don't then its obvious how they chose the characters.

They pick the top picks, narrow it down to most viable from a business stand point (e.g. another japanese company of which they already have dealings with) and then begin picking for the most iconic/plausible smash character.

I mean if they actually went with the legit highest voted one. They'd be stuck in a hole if they ended up with an OP boss character like sephie (definitely sure sephie got more votes... I just know far too many dumb ff7 fans boys than smart ones)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I never played Final Fantasy 7 because I didn't have PS1 (had the N64) but I am curious about Cloud... I want to play his game. I do have PS3but I don't use it other than Netflix, Hulu, and WWE Network. I did hear that PS3 has something similar to Virtual Console where you download PS1 and PS2 games. Could I download Final Fantasy 7 on my PS3?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I didn't hate the XIII series nearly as much as most, but I agree that Lightning was a rather poorly-designed character. But the music was pretty good, and I like it when the series embraces a more futuristic vibe.
Lightning is fine in everything that wasn't XIII and a tiny bit of Dissidia.

XIII-2 and LR were the problems.

You don't remember the days where Lightning was considered a decent character because the cast around her was stupid as hell and a absolute joke.

Serra, Snow, Hope? Remember them

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I never played Final Fantasy 7 because I didn't have PS1 (had the N64) but I am curious about Cloud... I want to play his game. I do have PS3but I don't use it other than Netflix, Hulu, and WWE Network. I did hear that PS3 has something similar to Virtual Console where you download PS1 and PS2 games. Could I download Final Fantasy 7 on my PS3?
Yes. I think it's ten bucks.
Lightning is fine in everything that wasn't XIII and a tiny bit of Dissidia.

XIII-2 and LR were the problems.

You don't remember the days where Lightning was considered a decent character because the cast around her was stupid as hell and a absolute joke.

Serra, Snow, Hope? Remember them
Oh, but I do. And I still didn't consider the titles too bad. I think it got a bad rap because it wasn't what a lot of people were expecting.

Except Hope. Seriously death to him and whoever ships him with Lightning!

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I was just thinking... Smash Flash must be pissed about Cloud getting in the real Smash lol

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I'm going to step in and say that Lightning isn't half as bad the character people make her out to be. Yes, Square Enix's constant pushing of the character was annoying but she was a decent character in Final Fantasy XIII at least.

And I actually enjoyed Hope. I thought I wouldn't but I did. Of all the characters from XIII, I thought that he grew the most.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
So do I. Final Fantasy 7 had the perfect blend of futuristic technology added into the world. FF13 was definitely all future. It looks like FF15 is kinda going down the FF7 route as well from what I can tell but with a huge medieval take on it. Definitely not complaining about that. The cities and castles from the trailers look incredible
Eh. I think XIII was mostly acid trip. Only futuristic stuff was on that main crystalline structure, rest of the environments were pretty primitive outside of it and mostly littered with ruins. And then XIII-2 and LR made things get weird.

Most of the plot synopsis was ultimately pointless IMO.

Dan

Smash Lord

There is no question Cloud is more popular overall in the gaming world; I'm just talking about in relation to Nintendo. I never pictured Smash to turn into the fanboy's dream of Master Chief vs. Tony Hawk, but it is slowly becoming that. I have no issue with that, and putting Cloud in is definitely a step toward that, but I thought this game was a battle of Nintendo's mascots with 3rd parties who actually had prominence on their consoles.

So forget K. Rool, forget Shovel Knight and forget Banjo and Kazooie; give us Lara Croft and Crash Bandicoot.

Ryu at least has been on Nintendo consoles for a long time.

This is my point: is Smash aiming to grow into the battle of every gaming mascot (no matter if they're Nintendo or not), or are they aiming to be primarily Nintendo with a couple of 3rd parties, who actually appeared on their consoles? I thought it was the latter, but this is a step in the other direction. It's just like "okay, Cloud got in, so now anyone can get in".

My issue is I feel like this diminishes the importance of the Nintendo characters. It's like "we have Cloud now, so who give a *bleep* about Dark Pit?".

Why do I feel like there a fanboys who will take Nintendo's side no matter what they do?

Cloud even got in over King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie, who were both extremely popular wishes. It just shows the level that Cloud is at compared to all of those characters.
Not really. They never said Cloud was the ballot winner; he was just another character they decided to do.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Eh, outside Smash forums, I would have guessed that the most popular Square Enix characters that had a strong relation to Nintendo, were Crono (Over 3 million sold?) and the personified job classes, such as Black Mage, Ninja, Fighter, White Mage, etc, especially after them appearing in Mario Hoops 3on3. There's Sora, but he' basically DISNEY. And wait, there's also Chocobo, but he's usually the face of FF spinoffs. And then there's Slime, Neku.

So... yeah. Geno never rung a bell to me outside Smash communities for some reason. Maybe it's because you get him a few hours in SMRPG. And I'm sure Square-Enix would like a character from their own IPs to represent them, instead of a Mario character.

lol, awesome find.
Although I would have thought he was crazy back then. XD
Funny how things turn out. But I'm pretty excited either way. More excited than Ryu's reveal. (Possibly, even more hyped than Pacman's).

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
My issue is I feel like this diminishes the importance of the Nintendo characters. It's like "we have Cloud now, so who give a *bleep* about Dark Pit?".
You're right, who gives a **** about Dark Pit? I mean, aside from the anime-fied sequel/reboot and a couple of games that were largely forgettable, what makes Kid Icarus a big deal?

Jokes aside, I don't like the hardline reasoning. It's asinine. Honestly, I don't think the purpose of this particular Smash game is to totally exalt Nintendo and its franchises. After all, Nintendo is practically an icon in its own right, ubiquitous across households. It's huge. It's rubbed shoulders, stepped over, and has sometimes stepped on the competition over the years.

Smash 4 is a love-letter to gaming across several generations and platforms, I think, because of all the nods and inclusion of other content not Nintendo by nature.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Nintendo usually does these collabs for a reason. Cloud in Smash is probably to market Square's games since we have FF Explorers, Bravely Second and a few others on the horizon.

Dan

Smash Lord
^ I am a massive Kingdom Hearts fan, but I'm not sure Sora quite deserves it.

Yeah, Dark Pit was a piece of **** before, now he's just the scum between your toes.

I don't think I'm being asinine. I would have no problem if Smash became Master Chief vs. Mario, but I think it just loses some of it's magic once it goes beyond Nintendo and the occasional 3rd party (who was actually had some prominence on their own console(s)).

I'm not a fan of sacrificing integrity for money. So Cloud's just a walking advertisement? :laugh: ****, Nintendo will be fine. They're like Disney; they'll be around forever.

Top Bottom