• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
^ I am a massive Kingdom Hearts fan, but I'm not sure Sora quite deserves it.

Yeah, Dark Pit was a piece of **** before, now he's just the scum between your toes.

I don't think I'm being asinine. I would have no problem if Smash became Master Chief vs. Mario, but I think it just loses some of it's magic once it goes beyond Nintendo and the occasional 3rd party (who was actually had some prominence on their own console(s)).

I'm not a fan of sacrificing integrity for money. So Cloud's just a walking advertisement? :laugh: ****, Nintendo will be fine. They're like Disney; they'll be around forever.
Cloud's not an advertisement. DMC Dante and MG Revengeance Raiden are advertisements.

Dan

Smash Lord
I mean, aside from the anime-fied sequel/reboot and a couple of games that were largely forgettable, what makes Kid Icarus a big deal?
No clue. It's just like why are the Ice Climbers a big deal? They're just reminiscent of simpler times and a piece of Nintendo's history. KI is Sakurai's franchise. Having Pit in there is acceptable, Palutena is fine but Dark Pit is pushing it and is a piece of crap.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
So... yeah. Geno never rung a bell to me outside Smash communities for some reason. Maybe it's because you get him a few hours in SMRPG. And I'm sure Square-Enix would like a character from their own IPs to represent them, instead of a Mario character.
It's because square-Enix can't take care of Mario characters and it's kinda difficult for them to use those characters in thier games, if Geno was in smash he would probably choosen by Nintendo and not square because his whole history was with Nintendo than it is with square.

Dan

Smash Lord
Geno looks cool as ****, he is mysterious as ****, he is like a bad*** Pinocchio and his real name is ♥♪!?; that why he should be in Smash.

Since when did it become what Square-Enix wants? It should be what Nintendo wants.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
For the record, Cloud has appeared on several Nintendo platforms:
-Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA.
- Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded for DS.
-The two Theatrhythm titles for 3DS.
-And soon, Final Fantasy Explorers for 3DS.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Geno looks cool as ****, he is mysterious as ****, he is like a bad*** Pinocchio and his real name is ♥♪!?; that why he should be in Smash.

Since when did it become what Square-Enix wants? It should be what Nintendo wants.
And by "Nintendo", I mean "me".

Like it or not, the facts are that Cloud has way more fans than Geno ever will. You're in the minority. It doesn't take a lot of research on Nintendo's part to see that Cloud will make a far bigger splash than a character who has a dedicated, but ultimately small, fanbase.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It's because square-Enix can't take care of Mario characters and it's kinda difficult for them to use those characters in thier games, if Geno was in smash he would probably choosen by Nintendo and not square because his whole history was with Nintendo than it is with square.
And they could include him in more Nintendo titles if they wanted to. But Nintendo isn't very good at handling underrated characters. Or maybe it's just Square-Enix? Either way, I hope we at least get to see a fully rendered trophy of him. (Or heck, even an AT). And he needs to star on more crossover titles.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
fwiw, Dan Dan , I kinda understand where you're coming from? Lotsa Squeenix characters could have foot the bill that had more of a Nintendo-friendly background, Geno included. For FF specifically, I'm baffled that none of the other iconic FF characters/jobs (Jojo/Black Mage from FF1, Mog/Moogle, etc.) weren't in before Cloud. But, if I'm wagering, Cloud is kinda accessible and easily recognized by core and not-so core gamers abroad, and his game is widely considered to be the JRPG that shattered that weird, inaccessible/unrelatable barrier for that genre past AND present. There's an undeniable weight to that accomplishment.

So, no hater-ade from my end.

...except for the integrity bit. But still.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I too am curious as to why they specifically chose Cloud over other iconic Final Fantasy characters such as Chocobo or Black Mage, or even Dragon Quest's mascot Slime, but I imagine that will be something revealed by Sakurai later on in the following weeks. Then again, I don't remember him explaining why Ryu was playable earlier this year, so perhaps not.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
PushDustIn PushDustIn

Can you confirm if Source Gaming has an article on Ryu? iirc there was at least a Famitsu blurb on why Ryu was chosen. Sakurai does love him some Street Fighter, that much I remember.

I also recall a Tweet from Sakurai himself stating that he'd explain how he acquired the ability to use Cloud's likeness in Smash. At work right so I can't really dig for info.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
I think the primary reason for Clouds inclusion over Black Mage is that FF7 is getting its remake and that a specific named character was a option that suited them better after having a specific character like Ryu to represent Street Fighter.

In short, it's all about timing.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

And Nintendo wanted Cloud, a mainstream staple of RPG's and a video game icon over a minor party member who has less character growth than Mallow.

Cloud is still relevant to gaming. If you don't care for Cloud, fine, that's your opinion, though coming into a place and trying to sell Geno over him to people who are happy with either him or his playstyle is not the answer.
PushDustIn PushDustIn

Can you confirm if Source Gaming has an article on Ryu? iirc there was at least a Famitsu blurb on why Ryu was chosen. Sakurai does love him some Street Fighter, that much I remember.

I also recall a Tweet from Sakurai himself stating that he'd explain how he acquired the ability to use Cloud's likeness in Smash. At work right so I can't really dig for info.

Smooth Criminal
Can answer for you

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/0...in-the-battle-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-481/

Incidentally, Push is making an article for later on the subject of Cloud, I recommend you all take a read once it drops.

Also can we not try to act like we know his tier position because we saw possible alpha footage and have no frame data or anything actually concrete to go on, nor do we know if the rest of the cast will be rebalanced further when he releases? I hope Cloud is viable too or beter yet, high/top but let's not say something that has absolutely no basis yet.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Your post is telling me that it should be what Geno supporters want. And now some of these fans are getting salt blasted because Square Enix's got their poster boy and most profitable, popular, and overall mascot in Smash Bros over the character they wanted. If Nintendo, or Sakurai really cared about Geno then you would see him in more Mario related games. Geno's only chance right now is the ballot or a Mii costume (which would go great with my Geno Mii).

I might sound like a jerk but I'm just calling it how it is. I would've preferred Terra if Nintendo loyalty was this big of a deal but hey I'm not complaining. Adding Cloud was Square Enix's smartest move.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Sakurai has written an article on every third party character so far. I'm sure there will be one about Cloud...either next week (check back with me on Thursday or just follow @AllSourceGaming) or with the December direct. Once we get our hands on it, it'll finish it ASAP.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
And by "Nintendo", I mean "me".

Like it or not, the facts are that Cloud has way more fans than Geno ever will. You're in the minority. It doesn't take a lot of research on Nintendo's part to see that Cloud will make a far bigger splash than a character who has a dedicated, but ultimately small, fanbase.
Most Final fantasy fans didn't really care about having a final fantasy character in smash or not, I am sure final fantasy fans are bigger than the SMRPG fans but Geno was the most requested square Enix character since brawl and has been in the poll since melee days and the fans were waiting for him to come back since 19 years, people were asking for Geno because they mostly think the only way to bring him and the other SMRPG characters back in a game again is by smash, seeing him reutern in a Mario game looked hopeless for them because of square Enix owning Geno, people wants to save Geno from being forgotten.
The ballout was suppose to add fan favorites choices, Cloud is probably not a ballout choice, Geno is a ballout choice if we are speaking about the more requested characters, Geno can make a big splash too because it will be the first time in the newest generation of gaming.
Cloud was probably choosed by square Enix and not Nintendo just like Snake in brawl he was choosed by Konami and not Nintendo, i really don't think Cloud was Nintendo's choice because they were final fantasy characters that has better history with Nintendo than Cloud who comes from the game that stopped square from making Final fantasy games in Nintendo consoles for some years.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
That's not what I'm arguing. CLOUD IS MORE POPULAR THAN GENO; that is the 3rd time I've said it. If all Nintendo cares about is sales, then make Mother 3, make a new Metroid game and add Master Chief to Smash.

Adding Cloud was Square Enix's smartest move.
I don't understand this. Isn't Nintendo the one who ultimately added him?

Geno is niche and Cloud Strife is mainstream. End of discussion.
Geno is a Nintendo/3rd party Nintendo character and *Cloud Strife is not a Nintendo character, end of discussion.

*Let me edit this: Cloud is 3rd party Nintendo, but his appearances on Nintendo consoles are so weak.

For the record, Cloud has appeared on several Nintendo platforms:
-Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA.
- Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded for DS.
-The two Theatrhythm titles for 3DS.
-And soon, Final Fantasy Explorers for 3DS.
This just furthers my point. When you actually stack it up, it shows how pathetic it is. The KH games are small cameos. I'd imagine he doesn't have a prominent role in the Theatrhythm games either.

I like Cloud, I like FF, Cloud is more popular than Geno but Cloud's limited appearances on Nintendo platforms really don't warrant an inclusion in Smash imo; that's all I'm saying. That was the least amount of hype I've ever felt in a character reveal trailer.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Most Final fantasy fans didn't really care about having a final fantasy character in smash or not, I am sure final fantasy fans are bigger than the SMRPG fans but Geno was the most requested square Enix character since brawl and has been in the poll since melee days and the fans were waiting for him to come back since 19 years, people were asking for Geno because they mostly think the only way to bring him and the other SMRPG characters back in a game again is by smash, seeing him reutern in a Mario game looked hopeless for them because of square Enix owning Geno, people wants to save Geno from being forgotten.
The ballout was suppose to add fan favorites choices, Cloud is probably not a ballout choice, Geno is a ballout choice if we are speaking about the more requested characters, Geno can make a big splash too because it will be the first time in the newest generation of gaming.
Cloud was probably choosed by square Enix and not Nintendo just like Snake in brawl he was choosed by Konami and not Nintendo, i really don't think Cloud was Nintendo's choice because they were final fantasy characters that has better history with Nintendo than Cloud who comes from the game that stopped square from making Final fantasy games in Nintendo consoles for some years.
Geno I can tell you're likely unhappy. However, I suggest you drop the Geno crusade here and go back to your sub group.

That goes for anyone else too, if you're not happy or disagree with the choice that's fine, but any further posting on the subject in Clouds social thread will be warned and/or infracted, so I suggest anyone of that mentality spend their time elsewhere.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
This is fast becoming a salt mine, yea. It's ok to be disappointed, but it's not ok to perpetuate antagonism because of it.

That goes for both sides, btw. Or at least it should; being the equivalent of a "sore winner" is also bad form.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Cloud was added because Sakurai wanted to give fans a pipedream character they always wanted, fulfilling what he said about the final DLC characters being fanservice.

Dan

Smash Lord
Whatever, Sakurai's writeup will give me closure on the subject.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Geno I can tell you're likely unhappy. However, I suggest you drop the Geno crusade here and go back to your sub group.

That goes for anyone else too, if you're not happy or disagree with the choice that's fine, but any further posting on the subject in Clouds social thread will be warned and/or infracted, so I suggest anyone of that mentality spend their time elsewhere.
I am both happy and unhappy at the same time because Cloud means we are getting closer from getting Geno back and at the same time Cloud killed all my hopes and dreams for having Black Mage in smash wich make me very dissapointed and stop supporting him because we probably won't have him in any future smash games.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Geno is a Nintendo/3rd party Nintendo character and *Cloud Strife is not a Nintendo character, end of discussion.

*Let me edit this: Cloud is 3rd party Nintendo, but his appearances on Nintendo consoles are so weak.
Square Enix holds the complete rights to Geno. Nintendo had to give credit for his little cameo in Superstar Saga.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Square Enix holds the complete rights to Geno. Nintendo had to give credit for his little cameo in Superstar Saga.
Okay, same thing can be said for Cloud and all in Smash Bros., but

Let's drop it. The subject is going as fast as molasses on a downhill sidewalk in January---in other words, nowhere. Let's talk about something else, yeah?

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I am both happy and unhappy at the same time because Cloud means we are getting closer from getting Geno back and at the same time Cloud killed all my hopes and dreams for having Black Mage in smash wich make me very dissapointed and stop supporting him because we probably won't have him in any future smash games.
Well, one of the primary arguments against Geno's inclusion was that as an original Square [before their merging with Enix] character, Nintendo wouldn't have the rights to him. Now, the door is open; he may actually have a better chance now.
EDIT: :4greninja:'d.

Okay, same thing can be said for Cloud and all in Smash Bros., but

Let's drop it. The subject is going as fast as molasses on a downhill sidewalk in January---in other words, nowhere. Let's talk about something else, yeah?
Good idea.
Anyone else wanna see Cloud have a wall-jump?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I had always believed that if Square Enix wanted a character in Smash, they would have picked someone from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. I never thought they would go with someone from Super Mario RPG. Sorry, not sorry.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I had always believed that if Square Enix wanted a character in Smash, they would have picked someone from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. I never thought they would go with someone from Super Mario RPG. Sorry, not sorry.
Well we got Mario, Peach and Bowser what more do we need?

Snark snark

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Q.

When the Cloud trailer dropped and the first few notes played, who else felt like they were a kid again? I played FF7 in my youth so I got hit with a pretty big nostalgia bomb

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I can see Cloud having a wall jump. I mean, what is gravity to this guy anyways? Flies through the air in most sources with the greatest of ease (and without a trapeze), flips around so much that wuxia martial arts flicks would be jealous, and all the while Cloud's carrying a ****ing sword the size of a Segway. It's like, definitely, lol

PK Gaming PK Gaming

I got hit so hard by it with the opening part of the trailer and the whooooosh segue into that mock battle. Like, if my nostalgia could take on a physical form, it would have been hurricane-level winds in my face.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Don't quote me on this but I think the reason why Sakurai selected Cloud is probably due to the huge success FF7 had when it first came out considering it was the first Final Fantasy game that went into 3d. Which I know some would and some wouldn't call it "Iconic" but from my view I would put it as so. I mean look at all the successful franchises that are in smash majority Nintendo but now theres 3rd party from Namco, Capcom, Sega. Anywho I am pretty happy that Cloud is in and can't wait to play as this character. Also cannot wait to see what else they are going to announce come December.

_Nives_

Smash Cadet
For the release of cloud do you think it's going to be like for ryu and roy ?
Also i realy love midgar do you think the summon will be turn off, if we play without item ?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Don't quote me on this but I think the reason why Sakurai selected Cloud is probably due to the huge success FF7 had when it first came out considering it was the first Final Fantasy game that went into 3d. Which I know some would and some wouldn't call it "Iconic" but from my view I would put it as so. I mean look at all the successful franchises that are in smash majority Nintendo but now theres 3rd party from Namco, Capcom, Sega. Anywho I am pretty happy that Cloud is in and can't wait to play as this character. Also cannot wait to see what else they are going to announce come December.
:snake: Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
:4sonic: Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
:4megaman: Mega Man 2 (NES)
:4pacman: Pac-Man (Arcade)
:4ryu: Street Fighter II (Arcade)
:4cloud: Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

Notice that the third party characters are based on their iconic game appearances. Also, the standards for third party characters getting in Smash are way stricter than the standards for Nintendo characters. The third party characters has to be the cream of the crop... the best of the best... they has to be some of the truly iconic characters in the history of video games.

D

Deleted member

Hey.

I just wanna say congrats to all of the Cloud and Final Fantasy fans out there. I haven't played FF7 yet, I want to but I don't think my PS2 doesn't work and I can't play the Steam version. I have to say, this was by far the most shocking announcement for me in Smash history; I never expected Cloud to ever get in a Smash Bros. game. Still, if we were to get a Square character, I honestly think that Cloud would probably be our choice, if not Black Mage or Slime.

I've played through Chrono Trigger twice this year and I am currently playing Final Fantasy VI. FF6 is pretty solid and pretty damn fun.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I mean Cloud has been rated at least top 5 most iconic video game character of all time in countless times. He set the bar very high for main characters. The amount of thought put into his complexity is something you can rarely achieve in video games these days.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Where did it say exclusively FF7?

Would be a very missed opportunity to not have themes from other FF games.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
Where did it say exclusively FF7?

Would be a very missed opportunity to not have themes from other FF games.
The thing is that it probably will be. All SF music is pretty much the SF II version, save for a few remixes.
We can probably expect the same to happen here, other than possibly some main series staples like the main theme, the Chocobo theme, and so forth.

Top Bottom