• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
If Cloud is seriously as fun as he looks (and viable), I may have found my main. I never finished FF7 though. I should get on that ASAP.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I didn't know he had a social thread already, lol.
I guess it makes sense, but it seems odd. Though for some reason, even though I've seen a lot of you before, this Cloud social feels like it has brought in new blood.

I feel Sakurai's endgame is bringing every major game fanbase into one community with Smash Bros., and he's doing a great job.

Also, Final Fantasy 7 is relatively short?
This is actually great, as I'm not really into JRPGs, so if there isn't 40+ hours of padding that would be amazing and I will probably actually seek this game out.

Last edited:

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
If Cloud is seriously as fun as he looks (and viable), I may have found my main. I never finished FF7 though. I should get on that ASAP.

wait for the remake.

ff7 did not age well. that being said besides the pre-rendered background and battle sprites. the game assets were kinda **** even for its time (FACT-the claim that ff7 was the first and best example of 3d graphics at the time is a myth).

even then the game is eh... Think of ff7 as the ocarina of time of the ff series. People who like it worship it as the best things ever but... objectively its not. Not even for the time.

So here's a question.

If they do use One winged Angel, would they use the KH version because it is shorter? I mean, bear in mind for Rooftop Run they used the Generations version despite that version of Rooftop Run not appearing on a Nintendo system.

I mean, the only thing I think stops it would be Disney, but I'm not sure they own rights to remixes like that.
Thats not how copyright works. One winged angel will and always belong to square enix.

What disney owns is their characters. Square enix has permission to use them and gives disney royalties for profits of the game.

Technically square enix could release a kingdom hearts game (they own this franchise) and have no disney characters at all and pay disney nothing.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
even then the game is eh... Think of ff7 as the ocarina of time of the ff series. People who like it worship it as the best things ever but... objectively its not. Not even for the time
I kinda agree with this? I always felt 6 was the superior FF game when I got around to playing it (which was after I played 7 and Mystic Quest; hysterically enough, the first two FF games I ever played).

Still, I wouldn't deter people from playing 7. It's a classic in its own right.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
He already looks fun to play as just by watching his trailer. I'm definitely gonna pick him up possibly as one of my mains. I already got two sword fighters as my mains, might as well add another one.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm definitely gonna sink an incredible amount of time into him. He looks SUPER legit.

Dunno if he'll surpass D3 or Ryu, though. D3 is mah boi, mah main man, and I enjoy his aesthetic as well as how he complements my style of play in fighters. Ryu's a secondary, a very fun and very iconic secondary (lots of Street Fighter growing up), that I also enjoy immensely. It looks like he's got the tools and aesthetic to be the kinda guy I'd play, though. Not to mention, well, the intimacy/likable factor.

Cloud kinda touches base on my experience with RPGs growing up---stuff like the Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Valkyrie Profile, Wild ARMs series, and some scattered others. Not quite as prolific as fighters and platformers, granted, but it's super nostalgic to me all the same. Hell, Cloud's reveal reminded me of my first playthrough of 7 where I rushed to the last disc, with Cloud as my highest level character---at level 58. Items OP, no xp grind, essentially speedrunning the ****, lol. Managed to get to the bottom of the Crater like this, where a certain One Winged Angel bodybagged me and my team in one fell swoop. Over and over again. Goooood times.

I need to redeem myself for that playthrough still.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I too am gonna sink some time with Cloud. He looks pretty awesome, and is by far the most interesting DLC character to me. That and... well it's Cloud. That's all that needs to be said. :4cloud:

EDIT: Oh right. I guess it's a bit early to be trying to use that emoticon, eh? :laugh:

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Thinking of picking of as a main, he's not that slow nor that quick., and has projectiles.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
It's effing sweet he's in, but as a swordsman, and if I ignore limit he kinda seems like a luigified ike. I hope he's more unique than what i fear.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I'll be maining him, regardless of tier, as long as he isn't absolutely terrible. Heck, I'll probably main him even then. He wasn't top- tier in Dissidia, and he was my best character in that.
So I'm not sure if this would be the greatest thread to ask or what but assuming there's probably one or two FF7 fans on the Cloud boards I've gotta ask. I'm aware that Cloud's a really famous character from a very famous game but I'm unsure of the history of WHY. Like I know Final Fantasy has earned its place as a famous series but what was it about FF7 in particular that was so huge that its hero would join Smash? Storyline? The dawn of 3d? Some cool mechanic? Just a bit curios from one who hasn't played much FF.
I can't speak for everyone, but VII was the first RPG for a lot of gamers, kind of like a Final Fantasy "Next Generation."
But for me, it's simply one of the greatest games of all time. Cloud's struggles with having the responsibility to save the world, while also juggling his loyalties with his friends, his identity crisis, all resonated with me as a young teen.
Then the aesthetics of the game: the music, the customisation, the gameplay, those cinematic scenes... Man, I gotta go play it again. Brb

Last edited:

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Figured I'd post this since I think it looks awesome.

Drawn by Glitch. (VXDuskSoul) of Miiverse.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
In retrospect, 7's thematic subtexts and symbolism were pretty neat. I never appreciated it until after my teenaged years when I bothered to get a little more "learned." I actually respect 7's approach to the typical "amnesiac trope" (it closely resembled dissociative identity disorder, a fascinating but heartbreaking condition that can be induced by trauma), and I also loved all the nods (subtle or not) to Kabbalistic mysticism and Gnosticism.

Smooth Criminal

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I kinda get that vibe too, but who cares? Ike's moveset is awesome. :4villager:
I mostly care cause they put a lot of work into him, and i don't want a cloney moveset for someone this cool and unique. It makes sense when I'm like "hmm mario or dr. mario" cause they were meant to be. maybe he'll be able to combo a lot better than ike since they should kill some power. pushing ppl offstage by ending and aireal with the wave move would be cool.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
As a huge Final Fantasy fan, I'm very happy to see Cloud in this game. Honestly, I had always hoped to see Terra from Final Fantasy VI instead but I always knew that was an unlikely thing to happen. It's a shame that the Final Fantasy character to get in isn't a character that uses iconic Final Fantasy moves like Firaga, Blizzaga, or Ultima though.

I've never even purchased one of the Smash 4 DLC characters before but I'll buy Cloud on day one.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Cloud having a projectile will do him wonders. He can at least force some characters to approach unlike most of the other sword fighters.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I seem to be in the minority since...besides 2 or 3 moves I'm not seeing any resemblance to Ike or Shulk (some are saying he's got Shulk-esque moves too). The moves that are similar (excluding Final Smash) aren't that spot-on to Ike either.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Curiously the only Limit Break not implemented is Meteorain. Here's hoping it's his LB enhanced move in the air in lieu of Finishing Touch.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Dang as soon as I saw the trailer I thought it was gonna be like Ryu and they were gonna put him right in the eShop. :p

Hoping he comes out soon. He looked finished for the most part.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Yesterday I've learned that dreams do come true. I seriously can't wait to play with Cloud.

I mained this guy (along with Terra) in Dissidia (both the first and 012). I wasn't sure how to react at first when I saw him for the first time in Smash. Like, I was both excited, in shock, kinda salty because I had other characters in mind.... ****, it was a total mix of emotions going in my head but overall, I'm reeeally hyped to play as mah buster bashing boi

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I seem to be in the minority since...besides 2 or 3 moves I'm not seeing any resemblance to Ike or Shulk (some are saying he's got Shulk-esque moves too). The moves that are similar (excluding Final Smash) aren't that spot-on to Ike either.
You're not alone. I think about the only thing Cloud has in common with those two is the fact that they all have swords. Him souping up specific moves/specials with varying degrees of power/ability is kinda similar to Shulk, but I feel like the whole building a resource to get to that point makes Cloud's Limits distinct from Monado Arts.

Smooth Criminal

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The smash team needs to include music from Final Fantasy VI.
Have to represent the important Final Fantasy that was actually on Nintendo consoles.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Man, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, and Cloud Strife can smack each other silly in the same video game.

Crazy times we're living in.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Technically square enix could release a kingdom hearts game (they own this franchise) and have no disney characters at all and pay disney nothing.
Nope. Disney own all of the copyrights to original KH characters (Tetsuya Nomura has stated this in the KH Ultimania, and if you ever look at copyrights for Kingdom Hearts or Sora, it never says "copyright of Square Enix", just Disney), and the games are co-developed by Disney Interactive, so they actually own some actual assets and what not.

In fact, Dissidia: Final Fantasy WAS A Kingdom Hearts game originally. But Disney said no. When it was changed to a Final Fantasy game, Square wanted to still include Sora as a guest character, but Disney still said no.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/30/dissidia-final-fantasy-originated-from-kingdom-hearts/
Where did the idea to use the Organization members for the multiplayer come from?
Nomura:
We made a game where characters from various FF games got together to battle, Dissidia, but that was a project we were originally thinking of using for KH. However, deciding it would be a bad idea to make Disney characters fight each other, it never materialized for KH and ended up shifting to FF.
However, Square Enix still own all Final Fantasy elements of KH. This even includes original outfits, as Cloud and Squall have their KH designs as DLC outfits in Dissidia 012.

With that in mind, the KH version of One-Winged Angel is completely viable, especially since Yoko Shimomura has tracks in Smash already (all of the Mario & Luigi tracks, and the Route 10 remix from Pokémon).

I personally hope they use the version from 2.5 HD, since it's the best version IMO. But they will likely go with the original FFVII version.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
You're not alone. I think about the only thing Cloud has in common with those two is the fact that they all have swords. Him souping up specific moves/specials with varying degrees of power/ability is kinda similar to Shulk, but I feel like the whole building a resource to get to that point makes Cloud's Limits distinct from Monado Arts.

Smooth Criminal
I see Ike's: jab (but those are all super similar anyway so it's moot), ftilt, bair, dair, fair (but it has a spike), Up and side special, are very similar (i thought D-smash was but i was wrong). The big comparison to me is that he is a not-quite-as-heavy hitting swordsman and that's hard to make unique. I'm hoping that haveing a charging move and a large projectile will make him play a lot differently.

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
I'm optimistic about Cloud being unique. Falco looked like a Fox clone in melee when it comes to aesthetics, but the trajectories of each move make him extremely unique from Fox. I really really hope that Cloud will be quick enough to engage in sick tech chases after fair spikes. He's for sure going to be a secondary, if not my main.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
...the animations are pretty damn distinct, imo. Superficially, sure, if you're thinking in terms of utility for Ike or another swordsman, then I guess it's a good baseline. And even if he did share some moves besides, you can get pretty creative with recycled assets, as Legato pointed out with Melee Falco. I really don't think that's the case here though, at least with his moveset in particular.

Until we get Cloud in our hands, though, we won't know how exactly his kit gels together. Again, imo and all that.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
If ya got a big sword, then you're just a Ganondorf clone. Like Ike. :troll:

But seriously, I don't really think Cloud's a clone or luigified. He has some similarities, but until we get access to that DLC, it's probably best not to make any conclusions.

But if he is, again, don't really care. The fact Cloud made it at all is more then enough for me.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
So I figured out what's been bothering me about Cloud. His buster sword seems to be the right length, but his fusion sword has to stay the same length, which isn't accurate. So it makes me think something is wrong with the original model.
I need to stop thinking for a while...

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
I'm legit so hype for Cloud right now; never in a million years did I think he would get in, but well, here he is lol. I definitely plan on co-maining him (along with Shulk). FFVII is probably my favorite Final Fantasy, so I'm pretty dang excited haha.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I see Ike's: jab (but those are all super similar anyway so it's moot), ftilt, bair, dair, fair (but it has a spike), Up and side special, are very similar (i thought D-smash was but i was wrong). The big comparison to me is that he is a not-quite-as-heavy hitting swordsman and that's hard to make unique. I'm hoping that haveing a charging move and a large projectile will make him play a lot differently.
In reality, there's only so many ways you can swing a sword before retreading old ground at some point. I remember trying to see how many moves Marth had that were similar to Cloud's back in Melee.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Never been a fan of superficial comparisons like that. Even if two moves look similar, how they function can differ drastically.
Please tell me Cloud will get a blue color.

I like using blue colors.
Considering SOLDIER 3rd Class uniform is blue, I imagine the odds are good.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
A dream which I never expected to come true as I was expecting some one like Cecil Harvey to be the Final Fantasy represent. But overall, I'm so happy and surprised that he made it in overall!

Top Bottom