• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

7 Beginner Kirby Tips [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planet Mars

Smash Cadet
Hello readers! I'd like to present you with a few beginner tips for Kirby. These should help you get started with him right away. These are just some personal tips, so if you find anything wrong or incorrect feel free to voice your disagreement. I will not amend the post because of them, however, simply because these are what works for me and i thought i'd share it with other players.

Kirby's advantages are + over his disadvantages, the former of which is applied to his speed and agility, and the latter of which is applied to his weight and strength. Out of 10, he has about 6.5 advantages, and 3.5 disadvantage, which in itself makes him a mediocre character. Compared to other characters, he isn't as souped up as them and requires extensive skill in order to succeed.

People say he's weak and underpowered, but hopefully these tips, as well as practice will have you taunting those people all the way through the matches end! Any character is good in an experienced player's hands, and Kirby is no exception

Tip 1: Respect the Rock!

Down+B is essentially your invulnerability for 5 seconds. It can protect you from Samus's Smash, and the Lava on her level. It can also withstand most explosions and attacks, but you are very vulnerable to grabs and pushes off the edge, so know when and where to use it. You can also use it to return quickly from the air, drop on a group of brawling enemies, or even to get the Smash ball in a few hits. It's a very useful move, so make sure to study it carefully

Tip 2: Kirby = Karate

One of the best things about Kirby is how he can do kick attacks in short time, and then move away from the battle, only to come back in to repeat the process. This is also observed with Fox and Sonic. This means you can do alot of damage by juggling your foes with your punches and quick kicks, which can go in all directions efficiently. His legs are also longer than they look, and can stop Ike from doing deadly slashes. It's a good idea to use these little kicks and punches, combined with your dodges, while your engaged in close battle. This way, you damage your foes, and remain that annoying puff ball that nobody can hit.

Tip 3 : Know your Limits

Kirby cannot fight people efficiently when his damage is over 120%. He will easily be sent flying across the stage, because he's light. This disadvantage, however, is traded for his speed and agility, so make sure you use those, as well as your wit, to outsmart and outrun your opponents. Kirby can also easily tackle Sonic, Fox, and Captain Falcon, simply because he dodges faster and has more counter moves than they do. The only character that presents a threat to Kirby is Jigglypuff, or Meta Knight

Tip 4: Your Hammers are your Friends

I'm so glad they removed some of Kirby's lousy moves, such as the spinning hammer and the fireball dash. Both moves didn't showcase his ability as a worthy opponent, and in the previous game he would often turn into a rock and slide off of the levels. (CPU) One thing i like about his Hammer is it's strong and if timed right, can send an opponent over 100% right out of the stage. This, along with his side smashes, are his strongest moves, and are what makes him a worthy character. His hammer hits on a rhythm, so learning this will be the difference between missing and hitting. The rhythm is AND 1 AND 2 for the air hammer. The tempo is 140 beats per measure, and he hits on the numbers. So in English, this translates to executing your hammer move half a second before your trajectory meets with your opponent. This in itself requires skill, and once you've mastered it you wont be scratching your head anymore!

Tip 5: Your enemy is...yourself?

In case you lived under that rock Kirby always turns into, he is a character that can swallow his opponents, chew on them a bit, and copy their abilities. Why would you want to do that? What's more fun than blasting Samus with that same energyball she's been spamming you with the whole match? Or maybe Fox's blaster is getting on your nerves? Or you just want to show Sonic that you can spin the tables around yourself--whatever floats your Titanic (pun intended) you're going to want to study each of the character's abilities, and how they affect Kirby. The most useful ones are ranged attacks, such as Falco, Link, and Samus. However, DKs fist in the hands of a hard-to-hit puffball, and ROB's laser are deadly on Kirby. Swallowing your enemy at the right time and using their power against them is both efficient and satisfying. However, make sure you use the power when you get it, because if it goes unused and you get beat up immediately afterwards, you may lose it quickly. You also don't retain it upon dying, so if you want Links arrows, you gotta swallow him again. Another tip with this swallow move is the suicide--pretty self explanatory. The best way to use it is when you're recovering from a hit off the stage, and you have an opponent waiting by the edge to intercept you. If your stage is close to the floor of the map (unlike Hyrule Temple) Then just as your about to hit your foe, you can swallow him and it will bring him down with you. By the time he gets out of your mouth, you will have brought him down too far, and he can easily be intercepted now. DO NOT COPY ABILITY WHEN USING THIS TECHNIQUE!!! You'll send them flying upward, defeating the purpose of this maneuver, and leaving yourself open to be intercepted.

Tip 6: Items

Kirby doesn't walk very fast when he picks up crates. He throws a fair distance as well, but what he lacks he makes up for with being able to get to his opponents quickly and jump far above them. He can essentially hover across the playfield with a smartbomb or assist trophy (if you grab it properly) and place them wherever his puffiness desires. He's also quick with guns and his sword lunges are strong and straight to the point. (pun also intended) Mastering items with Kirby is very critical to any battle, because he's light and most items will knock him far pretty quickly. However, if you're a good dodger, you should be uncontested with Kirby for pretty much any match.

Tip 7: 7 jumps

Kirby has 7 jumps f you count the Up+B move. Plus, if you combine the lateral distance you gain from hammering in the air, you'll basically be able to recover from any hit. Kirby is magical like that, and mastering his jumps, keeping track of which you're on, and knowing when and where to use it is critical to his success. Unlike most characters, he can pursue an enemy off the stage to finish a KO, and make his way back--all in under 6 jumps. He can also surive most interceptions, and if the floor of the stage is too dangerous at the moment (waluigi's in the house) he can 'hover' above the battlefield for some time before returning. Master these, and you'll be 1 step closer to mastering Kirby

Again, these are personal tips. I hope you found them useful, and i hope they make you better with Kirby, and any character. Enjoy! and don't forget to taunt all of your kills with your irresistible cute puffiness!

Planet Mars

Smash Cadet
Please elaborate on your assumption, because i do not understand why you would assume this post is Trolling. These are simply tips that work, and i find it offensive that you would say such a thing

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
your in the melee boards dude. I thought this was going to be step1 drop kirby step2 pick up a top tier step 3 learn how to waveshine.

Planet Mars

Smash Cadet
your in the melee boards dude. I thought this was going to be step1 drop kirby step2 pick up a top tier step 3 learn how to waveshine.
here's another person who's talking this bs about tiers. Are you trying to tell me that Kirby is a bad character? Because if you are, i'll have you know that i can beat anyone without getting 100% damage. that's how good kirby is. So if you want to tell me that he's 'sub par' then be my gets. If that's how you're using that list, then i'll have you know Snake is really easy to fight, especially with Kirby. And meta knight? He stands very little chance. Even pikachu can beat Kirby more than a Meta Knight or Snake can. So if you want to use that tier stuff against me, be my guest. I really don't care--chances are i've played this game more than you and better than you.

1 more person mentions this tier stuff and i'm leaving this stupid forum. You guys think you know everything about the game, but you're letting these forums tell you to 'main' meta knight or snake. That's so sad

Planet Mars

Smash Cadet
this was funny, but im sure we all made mistakes like this when we starting out on smashboards....
It's a Kirby forum--these tips apply to kirby period. Brawl is the current game, so they're mostly for brawl. If there were character specifics in the brawl forum i would have posted that there. and if this is in the wrong forum, where is Zero Suit Samus in the character specific forum?

When you answer that question, i'll start laughing at my 'mistake' as well.

Planet Mars

Smash Cadet
Most of this info is even wrong for Brawl which is amazing.
These are some things i use with Kirby. I mentioned in a disclaimer that most of these are opinion-based, because they work with me and i haven't seen anyone else do these stuff. You guys say kirby is mid tier and all that bogus, so i know you haven't explored his full potential.

EDIT: These tips are for beginners playing with Kirby, who are unaware of his abilities. Pros may play differently, but this is what i use to play and it works--all the time

Planet Mars

Smash Cadet
I have edited the beginning paragraph to be less biased. I hope it's better now, and makes the post sound more professional and less snobby and arrogant. Thanks for the feedback

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
You know I play as pichu lol I,m a tier jerk lol. Ahh today kirby can be better than pichu on my list(not trying to make that the topic we can both argee we don't want to go there).

No I believe the teir list is true for the most part fox is the best no deining it sheik ****, pikachu is better than pichu for the most part.

No really I don't think is even much to kirby in any game he is pretty easy to use the only hard part is your mind and up-tilt now that's some amazing advice.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey that's not cool man he may have F***ed up super bad but don't insult him and give no advice cause now your just a random hater. Also you don't know him like that and EVERYONE is an idiot even I, I take 3 weeks to figure out people's names even if many people have told me I,m smart I disargee.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Hopefully I can be more welcoming and respectful than most posters here.

First off, this is the melee section. The brawl section is higher up on the main forum page, and yes, the brawl section does have its own kirby section. It's here: http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143

You know a lot about kirby, and have definitely mastered the basics. It's great that you want to help others, and you've created a fantastically well-written guide on the basics as well. It would be useful for beginners, but most people on smashboards are very experienced with Smash and aren't beginners, unfortunately.

If I were you, I'd browse through Brawl's Kirby section, and perhaps re-post your guide there, though I kind of discourage that <_<. Chances are, your guide won't be received very well there either.

Also, your "credentials" aren't very valid to us Smashboarders. Over the past decade that Smashboards has been online, how many people do you think have bragged that they can beat everyone they know - and thus they're the best player, ever? It's a fallacious argument. Getting 2nd place in your local Gamestop tournament is slightly more credible, but it's still not very well-respected here, since it doesn't follow SBR standard rules. You seem like a casual, item-using, anti-tier player who plays competitively within your own sphere of comfort, and I don't have anything against that. However, Smashboards is a very competitive, anti-item, pro-tier community, so you may find yourself out of place here.

I'd recommend watching some tournament videos in the Brawl section and read some guides/threads to check out what smashboards is all about, and then decide whether Smashboards is the right place for you or not.

Edit: Also, some of your information is kind of off. Kirby isn't fast - he's average-ish on the ground, but his floatiness and minimal aerial momentum (good aerial momentum would be wario) make him really slow in the air.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
In both the Melee and Brawl Kirby sections there are guides that are more in-depth, organized, and beginner-friendly than this one.

Also closing to keep the repeating of the same idea by posters to a minimum.

:026:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom