• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

64 characters in Brawl:Believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I'm sick of seeing those mock rosters with over a 100 characters. No sane game developer would put in the amount of work necessary for that many characters in a fighting game.

I think there will be 64 characters in Brawl. Its about a twofold increase over melee, its a nice round number, and who can forget the Nintendo '64'?

Tera253

Smash Ace
that seems like an awful lot. Tera reckons mor around 46.
(if that was the case, McFox, that's Paras' number!)
~Tera253~

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It'd be funny if he was a guy working from 'the studio' and he was giving information he knew we wouldn't believe. I'd do that if I was working there, as long as it wouldn't get me fired X|

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm just being too hopeful... But if you guys think 64 is ridiculous, you obviously haven't been to the official Nintendo thread.
SSB-12
SSMM-25
SSBB-64
I don't know, it just has a nice ring to it. SSBB is running on a Wii-vamped (tee-hee) version of the SSBM engine. They don't have to make a new engine this time around. Development started in May 2005. What do you think they've been doing for 2 years, adding ripples to Mario's Overalls? They opened the character poll to Japan late last year, which means they must have saved room for a tleast a few characters.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I don't see 64 happening eather, they struggled to add 8 original charactures to melee, but since they have a much larger team and they have about a year more of development time then Melee assuming it doesn't get delayed again, so since they have about 2/3rds more to make the game and their working with a much bigger team I think they should be able to put out maby 14 original chars, 14+21=35, thats what I'm expecting if theirs no clones, or if clone type chars return we might get the magical 42 number, I hope they put in some clones if it helps the roster go from 35 to 42, honestly I would be perfectly fine with 35 chars although if we get more I will just think of it as a bonus on the already nice roster.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm just being too hopeful... But if you guys think 64 is ridiculous, you obviously haven't been to the official Nintendo thread.
SSB-12
SSMM-25
SSBB-64
I don't know, it just has a nice ring to it. SSBB is running on a Wii-vamped (tee-hee) version of the SSBM engine. They don't have to make a new engine this time around. Development started in May 2005. What do you think they've been doing for 2 years, adding ripples to Mario's Overalls? They opened the character poll to Japan late last year, which means they must have saved room for a tleast a few characters.
I don't think they had much else done except for what was shown in the trailer in E3 06, since that was may and they didn't want to spoil us in the next trailer they just showed us more moves and announced fox, since then they have been working on it for amout 11 months, but who knows how much they have actually gotten done in that time, I'm just hoping for a 2007 release, if it has 35 original chars I will be more then pleased, although if I'm right that only leaves 9 slots left open to newcomers.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Please do not doublepost.

There was 12 then they added 14. I'd expect another 10 or so to 34. Not a "nice even number" but a more likely one, concidering all the characters are being redone AND not all Melee ones are coming back.

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
Around 40 will be more than enough! 64 is just insane! To put 64 in Brawl they will have to put lots of clones and I think Sakurai said he'll try to stay away from cloning this time.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
It could happen. This IS the Wii afterall. This isn't Mortal Kombat(Ew) where theres 3 clones of Scorpion in a different color suit and a different name and element.

Never underestimate Nintendo. People said there'd never be over 200 Pokemon. Guess how many there are now? Over 450 including the Diamond/Pearl set.

My hopes/estimate would be 30-50. Very low chance there will be under 25.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Around 40 will be more than enough! 64 is just insane! To put 64 in Brawl they will have to put lots of clones and I think Sakurai said he'll try to stay away from cloning this time.

As sweet as 64 character would be, thre are two problems. 1.the one above, and 2. Even if they didin't include clones,the game would probably take a really long to make, with making event matches,trophies,and other stuff for them.

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
I don't see 64 happening eather, they struggled to add 8 original charactures to melee, but since they have a much larger team and they have about a year more of development time then Melee assuming it doesn't get delayed again, so since they have about 2/3rds more to make the game and their working with a much bigger team I think they should be able to put out maby 14 original chars, 14+21=35, thats what I'm expecting if theirs no clones, or if clone type chars return we might get the magical 42 number, I hope they put in some clones if it helps the roster go from 35 to 42, honestly I would be perfectly fine with 35 chars although if we get more I will just think of it as a bonus on the already nice roster.
Melee was in development for two and a half years. If Brawl comes out in December, it will have been in development for less than that.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
I think this is a good amount. Heh. I've never seen a screen with over 60 chars that was not made for humor.

40 characters seems about right.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Miis? That just brought your slection screen rating from 8 out of 10 to 0.5 out of 10.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I like the number 42.
Probably a LOT of work on the poor little team, but it's about the maximum possible number according to my calculations.
As long as the characters are awesome and balanced and the stages nice, they can slap together a crappy single-player mode like they did for SSBM for all I care.
A December release shouldn't be TOO far-fetched with a roster of about 40...

Also, even without time constraints, 64 sounds like too much. The more the merrier, sure, but at some point, you're just overwhelmed by stuff.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
....Rofl. I ridicule a Mii being in there...at the same time. Its Nintendo..it honestly could happen..o_o;

I hope not tho. >_>

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
I'd hope for around 45. I really didn't like that roster too much, I'd rather see more new characters. It's a welldone roster, but I don't want a full cast of melee characters then a few new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom