• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

51 characters total, reasoning inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'm going to assume that the final roster might cut Falco (his specials can easily be reworked with move customization to Fox, moreso than Wolf, who has more unique specials and completely unique standards), Lucas (same as Falco, plus Gematsu leak), Snake (Licensing), Squirtle and Ivysaur (no more PT), and Jiggs (completely irrelevant and unpopular now).

That would leave a veteran roster of 33. Add 12 confirmed newcomers/Gematsu leaks. 45. That would leave room for 2-6 more newcomers/DLC characters. That leaves plenty of space for Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, and a couple others.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
That theory is broken though because it is impossible to have 48 character slots as we saw the Random icon in the demo. Why would they take it away? There is only 4 options for the roster size. 46, 47, 50, and 51. The reason why I add the 46 and 50 is because there may be a second unused character slot that is reserved for DLC characters.

So I think the RosalinaX leak has been busted anyway as it is almost impossible to have 48 slots.
I do so believe we have an Objection.
48 Characters, 1 DLC Slot, and the Random Slot.
Boom, 50. Problem Solved.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
Roster Edit based on Gematsu, confirmed assist trophies + enemies in Smash Run, and Ridley likely being a stage boss hazard. If he isn't, one of the Star Fox crew would probably be cut.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Roster Edit based on Gematsu, confirmed assist trophies + enemies in Smash Run, and Ridley likely being a stage boss hazard. If he isn't, one of the Star Fox crew would probably be cut.

Now THAT'S a valid roster! (I think...)

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I do so believe we have an Objection.
48 Characters, 1 DLC Slot, and the Random Slot.
Boom, 50. Problem Solved.
48 Characters, and 2 Extra Slots is an impossible way to show it though on the CSS we have. It is shown that it must be either 4x12 or 4x13, and neither of them can have 50 slots. The only possible way would there to be 5x10, but that is impossible and would squish the boxes to much.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
48 Characters, and 2 Extra Slots is an impossible way to show it though on the CSS we have. It is shown that it must be either 4x12 or 4x13, and neither of them can have 50 slots. The only possible way would there to be 5x10, but that is impossible and would squish the boxes to much.
There's always the inevibility that the screen could scroll for the 3DS Version, plus shrinking the Wii U version's slots a little bit wouldn't hurt THAT much.
But I should really stop, I'm not in the mood for Flame Wars.
Summer Vacation's on it's way, after all.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
There's always the inevibility that the screen could scroll for the 3DS Version, plus shrinking the Wii U version's slots a little bit wouldn't hurt THAT much.
But I should really stop, I'm not in the mood for Flame Wars.
Summer Vacation's on it's way, after all.
I'm not flaming you. I'm just saying show me the possibility for the Wii U version that has 5x10 slots, use MS Paint or something. I did to prove my point that there could be 4x13 and that's plausible.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I don't really see the point in speculating on this. The character boxes on the Wii U can be resized, so really we have no idea how many can fit. And as for the 3DS, each person has their own 3DS and therefore screen on which to select their character, which opens up the possibility to have a scrolling character select screen and thus figuring out how many fit on it isn't particularly useful either. We really just don't know.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It's just speculation and expectations management.

It's not like anyone is saying that this proves there will be X characters. It just shows that, given the design we saw, it requires no significant changes to fit 48 boxes, and only slight changes to fit 52.

So expecting the roster size to be between 47 and 51 seems sensible... With a little bit of variation depending on what you think will be done with Mii Fighters and random selection.

If we get more than 51 characters, I will be pleasantly surprised.

But I think if you're expecting more than that, or you're sure that 47 is "too low!"... It seems likely (to me) that you'll be sorely disappointed.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Sorry, if they're considering dropping Ness, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they consider dropping Jigglypuff as well who has lost all popularity and Mewtwo remains far, far more popular.

The only reason to keep Jigglypuff is seniority. With this leak, and Ness clearly being considered to be cut, Jigglypuff is just as if not MORE likely to be cut.
This is the most interesting thing that's been brought up in this discussion. Amazing point @JaidynReiman . Sakurai's team obviously doesn't see the original 12 in the same way we see them. And while nothing about Jiggs has been mentioned yet, Rosalina wasn't mentioned in Sal's leaks at all, so anything is possible. I'd rather see Mewtwo than Jigglypuff honestly.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I love your logical analysis, great job. One problem I do have with it, though, is that Kirby has traditionally kept very near the center of the board as an homage to Sakurai's start. This is not the case in your prediction.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Gys gys i has ida. Wat if samurai removed lucario, toon link and ike to put better karacters at their place ?
Cuz you no, impossible to see Lucario again lol

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I was thinking this. I love assembly the roster and how it will actually look.

Everyone follows Brawls look but I think this is very simply for the new user. Familiar faces on top and left, and they slowly get unfamilar as the go downward and right. Also, it kinda contrasts American to Japanese. This is 50 btw, ZSS and Sheik share a spot.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
The thing that interests me the most is that, assuming 48 slots, there is an empty slot on the top row.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Wario, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, ???.

Now, I don't think any of the Sal newcomers, or any of the unconfirmed veterans, can go up there. The only slight possibility is that Captain Falcon is placed next to Samus, but I think it's more likely that he's on the bottom row, next to Olimar. So I think we're either going to get Ridley, or a DK newcomer.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
This makes no sense. The number of characters in the game was obviously not decided by how many would fit in the character select screen. I am still betting in 52-ish playable characters in the game. I wouldn't be opposed to 48 (not 47 characters), though. More is not always better.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I think they are trying to get that they have the final roster, but took characters away from it to make this roster kinda like we know the top row is currently

:4mario::4bowser::rosalina::4dk::4samus::4zss::4link:

So it can be assumed that it will be

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4dk::4diddy::4samus::4zss::substitute::substitute: :substitute:(prob Yoshi and Wario?)

The problem that I see is that we don't know for sure Link won't be on the same row (or Samus)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Looks far top squished though. It definitely needs space along the sides to not make it look so crammed
K, let's get rid of the rows at the far corners.
That's still 60.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
I think they are trying to get that they have the final roster, but took characters away from it to make this roster kinda like we know the top row is currently

:4mario::4bowser::rosalina::4dk::4samus::4zss::4link:

So it can be assumed that it will be

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4dk::4diddy::4samus::4zss::substitute::substitute: :substitute:(prob Yoshi and Wario?)

The problem that I see is that we don't know for sure Link won't be on the same row (or Samus)
Now that I think about it, the "subsidiaries" of the Mario universe (aka DK, Yoshi and Warioware) are usually arranged with Mario. But that still leaves with one space

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I'm telling you. Ridley or DK newcomer.

Ice Climbers on the second row next to Pit. Ness on the third row next to the FE characters. Captain Falcon, Shulk, Chorus Kids, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Pac-Man all on the bottom row. Mii Fighters not on the select screen. The only way Mewtwo can be in is if a character that would be on the third row is cut, like Falco, Wolf, or (extremely unlikely) Jigglypuff.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I'm telling you. Ridley or DK newcomer.

Ice Climbers on the second row next to Pit. Ness on the third row next to the FE characters. Captain Falcon, Shulk, Chorus Kids, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Pac-Man all on the bottom row. Mii Fighters not on the select screen. The only way Mewtwo can be in is if a character that would be on the third row is cut, like Falco, Wolf, or (extremely unlikely) Jigglypuff.
So no Mewtwo then? :p

D

Deleted member

Waddle Dee over Lucas?

Um...no.

I have nothing against Waddle Dee, but really?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Waddle Dee over Lucas?

Um...no.

I have nothing against Waddle Dee, but really?
I like Lucas I do, but the Gematsu leak which has a very high chance of being real, the guy said that Lucas has a chance of being cut. Which if he is, I hope he becomes an alternate costume of Lucas because I really like the design of Lucas over Ness.

I would honestly swap out MewTwo for Bandana Dee because I really dislike the massive amount of Pokemon. Kirby gets 3 characters while Pokemon gets 6 or 7 feels kind of bad in my head. Also you can't tell me that Bandana Dee is irrelevant or not a character because he appears in the new Kirby Wii U game 4 times!

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
I don't give a ****. I just want Bandana Dee. **** your space dragon. **** JRPG swordsman #2,916. **** the 2938423rd Pokemon. **** that green fat slob who's never played Wii Fit a day in his life. I just want to receive the Dee from Sakurai on a Nintendo Derect someday. I'll fight Namco if I have to. Years of watching wrestling prepared me for such a day.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I don't give a ****. I just want Bandana Dee. **** your space dragon. **** JRPG swordsman #2,916. **** the 2938423rd Pokemon. **** that green fat slob who's never played Wii Fit a day in his life. I just want to receive the Dee from Sakurai on a Nintendo Derect someday. I'll fight Namco if I have to. Years of watching wrestling prepared me for such a day.

Calm down, I want Bandana Dee as much as you. But don't say swears and bash other's characters.

I was thinking this. I love assembly the roster and how it will actually look.

Everyone follows Brawls look but I think this is very simply for the new user. Familiar faces on top and left, and they slowly get unfamilar as the go downward and right. Also, it kinda contrasts American to Japanese. This is 50 btw, ZSS and Sheik share a spot.
I dunno....I find the layout odd. Also it doesn't really make sense to why ZSS or Sheik would share the same spot. I dislike the way that Luigi and Mario are on different columns. I prefer that each series sticks to a row or column, not a mix of them. It gets kind of confusing to try and find the character that you want, but that is just me personally.

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Calm down, I want Bandana Dee as much as you. But don't say swears and bash other's characters.

I dunno....I find the layout odd. Also it doesn't really make sense to why ZSS or Sheik would share the same spot. I dislike the way that Luigi and Mario are on different columns. I prefer that each series sticks to a row or column, not a mix of them. It gets kind of confusing to try and find the character that you want, but that is just me personally.
But I've always ragged on JRPG swordsman #2,916. The great thing is that it's so ambiguous that no one knows who I'm referring to. I was just joking anyway.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So no Mewtwo then? :p
So? Not sure why everyone believes Mewtwo will be back. There is no evidence pointing to that. It might be back, but it isn't a "shoo-in".
So you want a random Kirby enemy over the major Metroid villain and the protagonist of one Nintendo's most successful new IPs? Okay.

I hope you are joking, tho

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like Lucas I do, but the Gematsu leak which has a very high chance of being real, the guy said that Lucas has a chance of being cut. Which if he is, I hope he becomes an alternate costume of Lucas because I really like the design of Lucas over Ness.

I would honestly swap out MewTwo for Bandana Dee because I really dislike the massive amount of Pokemon. Kirby gets 3 characters while Pokemon gets 6 or 7 feels kind of bad in my head. Also you can't tell me that Bandana Dee is irrelevant or not a character because he appears in the new Kirby Wii U game 4 times!

I didn't say he was irrelevant, or not a character; I just said that he would never be in over Lucas (or Mewtwo) with no second Mother character as a replacement.

The leak said he has a CHANCE of being cut, so it's real if Lucas is cut, and it's real if Lucas returns; the only purpose the 3rd leak has is correctly naming Mii as "Mii Fighters" or "Mii Fighter" or whatever it was, as well as mentioning DLC. I dunno about you, but if anything, the 3rd leak confirms Lucas. If he doesn't make the main roster, he will certainly be DLC.

I forgot about Mewtwo. IMO, both Lucas and Mewtwo are far more likely than Waddle Dee. Again, I'm going to stress that I don't hate Waddle Dee, but with Sakurai trying to include as many veterans as possible, and some people giving him crap for giving Palutena 12 special moves and adding a ton of Uprising items, I find it unlikely that he would ignore the MASSIVE amount of fan demand Mewtwo has, as well as cut a decently popular returning veteran to add another one of his characters. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about Lucas; I have no knowledge of the Japanese fanbase, so I dunno, maybe he's despised over there or something.) Either way, I get the feeling both of these characters are more likely than Dee.

Not to mention Pokemon had 4 characters in Melee when Kirby had one. Heck, in Melee, Star Fox and Fire Emblem (a Japan only franchise at the time) had more characters than Kirby. And no, Falco and Roy being clones doesn't make them any less of a character. They still take up 2 slots on the roster. Yes, I know Dedede was planned, but the fact remains that he is not in the game, but Falco and Roy are.

And honestly, while I don't consider Lucas a clone, using that argument actually helps him. Why? If Ness is completed, model Lucas, tweak some animations, boom. Lucas. Takes up far less development time than you'd think.

Last edited by a moderator:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
So? Not sure why everyone believes Mewtwo will be back. There is no evidence pointing to that. It might be back, but it isn't a "shoo-in".

So you want a random Kirby enemy over the major Metroid villain and the protagonist of one Nintendo's most successful new IPs? Okay.

I hope you are joking, tho
Yeah, but I don't care enough to pointlessly argue. Especially about a stage hazard.

I've got one guess......
Mii swordmaster, right?:troll:
You're close.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
52 characters on initial roster, 8 DLC characters. 60 total.

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Rosalina
  5. Bowser
  6. Yoshi
  7. Wario
  8. Donkey Kong
  9. Diddy Kong
  10. Dixie Kong
  11. King K. Rool
  12. Pikachu
  13. Jigglypuff
  14. Mewtwo
  15. Charizard
  16. Lucario
  17. Greninja
  18. Link
  19. Toon Link
  20. Zelda
  21. Sheik
  22. Ganondorf
  23. Kirby
  24. King Dedede
  25. Meta Knight
  26. Samus
  27. Zero Suit Samus
  28. Ridley
  29. Marth
  30. Ike
  31. Chrom
  32. Fox
  33. Falco
  34. Wolf
  35. Pit
  36. Palutena
  37. Ness
  38. Olimar
  39. Captain Falcon
  40. Ice Climbers
  41. Mr. Game and Watch
  42. R.O.B.
  43. Villager
  44. Wii Fit Trainer
  45. Mii Fighter
  46. Little Mac
  47. Chorus Kids
  48. Shulk
  49. Mach Rider (Sakurai's been trying to add him since Melee... I think this is the one where he'll make his debut)
  50. Sonic
  51. Megaman
  52. Pac-Man
DLC
  1. Snake (only 3rd party character with a decent chance at DLC)
  2. Sceptile (to coincide with the new Hoenn remakes)
  3. Lucas (veteran likely planned to be developed last)
  4. Captain Toad (the amiibo figurine makes me think this could happen)
  5. Ghiralham (Zelda newcomer)
  6. Krystal (new Star Fox game soon... release her alongside it)
  7. Takamara (highly anticipated retro, gives them time to differentiate him from other sword-wielders)
  8. Chibi-Robo (my most wanted character after Ridley and Mewtwo... he's fairly popular and would provide a unique moveset)

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just realized that my most wanted roster could be even considered a possibility now if it's 51. Here it is:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
DK
Diddy
Yoshi
Wario
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Pit
Ice Climbers
R.O.B
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Olimar & Pikmin
Fox
Falco
Wolf
C. Falcon
Pickachu
Lucario
Jigglypuff
Marth
Ike
Ness
Mr Game & Watch
Sonic
Pacman
Mewtwo
Rosalina & Luma
Palutena
Little Mac
Greninja
Villager
Megaman
Wii Fit Trainer
Mii Fighters
Chrom
Shulk
Chorus men (or whatever he is)
King K Rool
Ridley
Paper Mario

51 roster and it has my 3 most wanted + the sal leak and most of brawl veterans. If this turns out to be the actual roster, I don't think it can become better for me.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
51 characters on initial roster, 8 DLC characters, 1 random slot. 60 total.

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Rosalina
  5. Bowser
  6. Yoshi
  7. Wario
  8. Donkey Kong
  9. Diddy Kong
  10. King K. Rool
  11. Pikachu
  12. Jigglypuff
  13. Mewtwo
  14. Charizard
  15. Lucario
  16. Greninja
  17. Link
  18. Toon Link
  19. Zelda
  20. Sheik
  21. Ganondorf
  22. Kirby
  23. King Dedede
  24. Meta Knight
  25. Samus
  26. Zero Suit Samus
  27. Ridley
  28. Marth
  29. Ike
  30. Chrom
  31. Fox
  32. Falco
  33. Wolf
  34. Pit
  35. Palutena
  36. Ness
  37. Lucas
  38. Olimar
  39. Captain Falcon
  40. Ice Climbers
  41. Mr. Game and Watch
  42. R.O.B.
  43. Villager
  44. Wii Fit Trainer
  45. Mii Fighter
  46. Little Mac
  47. Shulk
  48. Mach Rider (Sakurai's been trying to add him since Melee... I think this is the one where he'll make his debut)
  49. Sonic
  50. Megaman
  51. Pac-Man
DLC
  1. Snake (only 3rd party character with a decent chance at DLC)
  2. Sceptile (to coincide with the new Hoenn remakes)
  3. Roy or Pichu (nod to Melee)
  4. Dixie Kong (has been considered since Brawl, so she might make it)
  5. Ghiralham (Zelda newcomer)
  6. Krystal (new Star Fox game soon... release her alongside it)
  7. Takamara (highly anticipated retro)
  8. Chibi-Robo (my most wanted character after Ridley and Mewtwo... he's fairly popular and would provide a unique moveset)
Did he try to put Mach Rider ? Since melee ?
And BTW mii replace random button when activated, that was confirmed at the treehouse of thursday during the last gameplay. So you have one more spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom