• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

51 characters total, reasoning inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
For Miis I'm thinking you'll customize the Mii to whatever moveset you want outside of the main character select screen.
After, when you're on the character select screen and you select the mii icon, you'll then choose your Mii loadout from a list of what you've created.

Last edited:

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
I hope that the 51 character thing is true. 47 means no new villains.

Last edited:

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
How I see it, this E3 has killed all doubts I had about the gematsu leak. Chorus Men (Ugh), Chrom (Damn it!), and Shulk are our final newcomers and Snake, Lucas (Why man!), Squirtle and Ivysaur are cut unfortunately. 47 plus one random fits on both the Wii U and 3DS CSS perfectly it seems. 51 does not. 47 plus 1 random also lines up with the dreaded 48 characters rumor when you assume they included the random icon.

Ugh Gematsu claims we will have character DLC and if this is true, something tells me Nintendo intentionally held out K.Rool, Mewtwo, Isaac, and a playable Ridley. On the plus side, DLC means I can possibly have Wonder Red, Robin (who should have got in over chrom), Bomberman, Ghirahim, and Bomberman afterall in my game.

If these assumptions and rumors are indeed correct, I certainly won't forgive Sakurai. I never cared about Ridley but it was kind of lame of him to constantly dangle the guy in his fans faces only to indeed make him not playable. The characters I wanted most (Minus Shulk) are pretty much guaranteed to not be in at this point. Being Wonder Red, Robin, Ghirahim, Paper Mario, and Bomberman (I know he was a long shot.). So I hope the 51 roster is true because I will feel bad for Mewtwo, Ridley, K.Rool, and Isaac fans as these are some of the most highly requested. It also rubs me the wrong way that this roster will have no new villains if the 47 thing is true.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Does this confirms the roster slots to be divisible by 4?

So, the roster size would normally be 4 x n -1 while n is the number of characters per row.

Now, this isn't confirmed as the game can have some twist to some slot but if I check from the brawl one, it seems like it. We already have 33 confirmed characters (I will add the sal leak because it just has so much credibility now but don't take them as confirmed yet). Sp, we have 36 characters with the sal leak.

This means that according to this theory, the roster can be

Won't go further because 55 seems impossible.

Here's the thing, you would have to add vets and some of them are either almost confirmed or should be confirmed even without evidences. IMO, I would put

Wario
Ganondorf
Ice climbers
ROB
Meta knight
Wolf (won't put falco but I still think he has good chances just a little doubt)
C falcon (if he's not there, I would laugh)
Jigglypuff (sorry if I got his name wrong)
Ness/Lucas (one of them is a given while the 2 I have a little doubt)
G&W (my main!!!)

So, it would be 46 characters. What this means is according to my thoughts, there's either 1 or 5 characters that still needs to be announced that is not from the sal leak. The latter would please me A LOT while the former would be great too.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
You guys realize the possibility of scrolling through the character slots in the 3DS version, right?
It has been mentioned but I personally doubt it happens. I hope it does though. The current 3DS CSS looks terrible imo

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Obviously the 3DS CSS is not final. I'm sure 51 characters could fit on their. I wouldn't be surprised if the CSS moves to the bottom screen with scrolling and you just tap your character.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Does this confirms the roster slots to be divisible by 4?

So, the roster size would normally be 4 x n -1 while n is the number of characters per row.

Now, this isn't confirmed as the game can have some twist to some slot but if I check from the brawl one, it seems like it. We already have 33 confirmed characters (I will add the sal leak because it just has so much credibility now but don't take them as confirmed yet). Sp, we have 36 characters with the sal leak.

This means that according to this theory, the roster can be

Won't go further because 55 seems impossible.

Here's the thing, you would have to add vets and some of them are either almost confirmed or should be confirmed even without evidences. IMO, I would put

Wario
Ganondorf
Ice climbers
ROB
Meta knight
Wolf (won't put falco but I still think he has good chances just a little doubt)
C falcon (if he's not there, I would laugh)
Jigglypuff (sorry if I got his name wrong)
Ness/Lucas (one of them is a given while the 2 I have a little doubt)
G&W (my main!!!)

So, it would be 46 characters. What this means is according to my thoughts, there's either 1 or 5 characters that still needs to be announced that is not from the sal leak. The latter would please me A LOT while the former would be great too.
Sorry, if they're considering dropping Ness, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they consider dropping Jigglypuff as well who has lost all popularity and Mewtwo remains far, far more popular.

The only reason to keep Jigglypuff is seniority. With this leak, and Ness clearly being considered to be cut, Jigglypuff is just as if not MORE likely to be cut.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Remove Ridley, Waddle Dee, Takamaru and K. Rool. After E3 I'm confident in saying that minus these 4, this is the final roster. You read it here first!
Boom.

Your right, we probably should of thought of that, 51 is so much better than 47.
>Please don't let this roster be as ****ty as it seems!

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Boom.

>Please don't let this roster be as ****ty as it seems!
I agree, chorus men like really, I'm already a little upset about the mii's but pacmans cool. We need real fan favorites like ridley, k rool, krystal, or mewtwo I would not be pleased if it was 47 and only based of the characters in the leak.

Crimefridge

Smash Rookie
+Seperate Mii into three fighter slots
+(so two slots extra occupied)
+Meowth (long time coming, staple of TV Show, Mario has more slots but Pokemon sells far more units)
+Lucas (they wouldn't dare -_-)

-K. Rool (no longer relevant in the current series of games)
-Ridley (because he's scary to little kids, not because of size)
-Waddle Dee (unlikely, too small fry, Kirby didn't sell enough to warrant another slot)
-Takamaru (???)
-Random button (new way to random expected)
-Chorus Men (possible, but... how...?)

This would not work for the total slots I predict.

Theories:
Extra fox character for new Fox franchise
KOS-MOS for Xenosaga representation, as well as fanservice appeal (low chance, Shulk is a more logical character choice and they wouldn't traditionally add two newcomers from a series in one game)
Either Toon Link removed, or Windwaker HD sales celebrated by adding Tetra (or more laughably, Tingle)
Because ZSSamus has Other M features, potential for characters from franchise added (Most likely MB / Melissa Bergman)
If character slots are based on sales, Paper Mario and Monster Hunter have earned a spot
and... what about Dragon Warrior? Mobile sales of Dragon Warrior exceeded Kid Icarus: Uprising
Professor Layton would also deserve some recognition, as well as possibly a Brain Age item or stage

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
+Meowth (long time coming, staple of TV Show, Mario has more slots but Pokemon sells far more units)

-Waddle Dee (unlikely, too small fry, Kirby didn't sell enough to warrant another slot)
-Takamaru (???)

Theories:
KOS-MOS for Xenosaga representation, as well as fanservice appeal (low chance, Shulk is a more logical character choice and they wouldn't traditionally add two newcomers from a series in one game)
Either Toon Link removed, or Windwaker HD sales celebrated by adding Tetra (or more laughably, Tingle)
Because ZSSamus has Other M features, potential for characters from franchise added (Most likely MB / Melissa Bergman)
If character slots are based on sales, Paper Mario and Monster Hunter have earned a spot
and... what about Dragon Warrior? Mobile sales of Dragon Warrior exceeded Kid Icarus: Uprising
Professor Layton would also deserve some recognition, as well as possibly a Brain Age item or stage
This. This is a joke right?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Didn't melee remove random after you got everyone or am I going crazy..
Melee never had a random button, not on the starting roster either. You could place your chip outside the CSS so it'd end up on a random spot, but there were never an actual random button, it was first introduced in Brawl.

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207

-Takamaru (???)

Theories:

You... HAVE checked the site since last September, right? Toon Link's been confirmed ages ago. And Tingle is an AT again.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Uggh. I really hope the 47 character theory doesn't come true. There are too many fan-favorites missing from the newcomers this time around.

If it does, then I will have to pin all of my hopes on DLC. The Gematsu leak says they are thinking about DLC, so it's possible.

Crimefridge

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
You... HAVE checked the site since last September, right? Toon Link's been confirmed ages ago. And Tingle is an AT again.
What a **** -_-

Any other complaints about my list, or are you the equivalent of a roster nazi?

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

-Takamaru (???)

Theories:
You're really behind.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I don't think the 3DS is the limiting factor here, they have a lot more flexibility with the way they do that. The Wii U CSS can't scroll because it needs to be used by all players simultaneously.

47-51 is simply the most plausible. This CSS could change significantly, but it looks pretty polished to me. The boxes could be narrower, but the text is already pretty cramped on some characters. Honestly, I never thought more than 52 was likely in the first place.
What about that one leak that says 48 characters with 4 cuts? If Lucas does in fact get the axe, seems to me like that could be what we're seeing, unless that leak was otherwise debunked. Is it still live? That was the Mario Kart one, right? Did that stuff pan out?
First Gematsu leak was Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Animal Crossing guy, Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man.

Second Gematsu leak from right before the Direct was Mii, Pac-Man (those two from before, of course), Pokemon from X & Y, Shulk, Chrom and Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven).

Third Gematsu leak, from just before the E3 presentation, was that Ness or Lucas will probably be cut, probably Lucas AND it called out Mii Fighter specifically as the name of the Mii character.
Last I've heard, the Mii takes up three roster spaces, thanks to their battle options. That pretty much messes up the 51 character theory.
My theory is that they will be selected the same way you pick your starting Pokemon with Pokemon Trainer, or choose between Sheik and Zelda in Brawl.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
What a **** -_-

Any other complaints about my list, or are you the equivalent of a roster nazi?
First of all, thank you very much for the compliment. Second, yeah, I have a LOT more beef about your list that I won't mention. Just listen to those guys above, k?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Could you give me credit for the 51 character slot CSS?

Anyway did Brawl ever Resize the actual portraits from the starting roster to the end? Because if not, 51 characters got a lot more likely.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It rescales from 3 rows to 4, but it looks like it keeps the same proportions for the character boxes.

D

Deleted member

Guys, bear in mind that the Miis were claimed to have "their own special slot".

What I'm speculating is that the Mii Fighter "slot" is going to not be a part of the "main" slots on the CSS, but put off to the side like in other games where they are selectable.

Example:

Perhaps as part of the Customizations menu on the CSS.

When it's "On" in modes that aren't Online With Anyone, Mii Fighter could be here.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
While I like the idea behind this thread, it is completely pointless. The number of slots will not depend on anything except the decision by Sakurai of how many characters to have. No, the 3DS screen size won't matter. No, the Smash Fest Roster doesn't matter either. It matters even less actually. This game is far from finished, and they can change something like the size of character icons very easily.

The random slot isn't guaranteed either so EVEN IF you guys are right (for no reason) it could be 47, 48, 51, or 52. Like I said, pointless thread, but fun to predict.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
While I like the idea behind this thread, it is completely pointless. The number of slots will not depend on anything except the decision by Sakurai of how many characters to have.
You're going at it backwards. The design of the character select screen will depend on how many characters there are. We have seen what the character select screen looks like, ergo we may have some information about how many characters there are.

This is like saying "You people think the ground being wet makes it rain! Don't look at the ground to see if it's wet and conclude that it's raining, the only thing that determines whether it's raining is whether water is falling from the sky."

Cpt.

Smash Lord
You're going at it backwards. The design of the character select screen will depend on how many characters there are. We have seen what the character select screen looks like, ergo we may have some information about how many characters there are.

This is like saying "You people think the ground being wet makes it rain! Don't look at the ground to see if it's wet and conclude that it's raining, the only thing that determines whether it's raining is whether water is falling from the sky."
That character select screen is not at all the most accurate thing in the world. It didn't even have all the confirmed characters that could have been on it, i.e. Zelda.

I can see how the placement of Mario, Link, Pikachu would be the same on both Smash Fest and the current roster, but that isn't really giving us much.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The other problem with speculating the roster size from the screen is DLC. They have to fit DLC characters onto the roster.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

We are going by a demo screen, which is easily created just for the demo.
Even still, what does this tell us? That there IS a character select screen? It shows us vaguely what it will look like, it gives us no indication of how many rows or columns there will be, and even saying it shows us much of the character placement is a large stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom