1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4th-D Slip Master: Ninten for DLC!

Discussion in 'Character Discussion' started by PSIBoy, Nov 22, 2014.

1. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Who is Ninten you ask?

[​IMG]

...okay, he looks very similar to Ness, but he's a completely different character from a different game with different friends and a different adventure. At least he could be a DLC alt for Ness. If Nintendo can differentiate his design enough, he could work as an actual character!

Before you say 'he'll only be a clone of Ness!', hear me out.

History: He is from the little-known game known as Mother 1 aka Earthbound 0 in western countries, released exclusively in Japan in 1989. He was just an ordinary kid living in a town named Podunk, when his lamp comes to life and attacks him. Then, he goes on an adventure to push back an alien invasion, meeting some friends who help him, collecting the 8 Melodies, struggling against spontaneous Asthma attacks, and defeating the leader of the invasion: Giegue. Not the same as Ness.

Moves: He knows a technique called PK 4th-D Slip which is used to run away from battles. It can function as a short-ranged teleportation technique which would be his recovery. Ninten lacks any kind of offensive PSI, unlike Ness and Lucas. He is more of a support character. He can learn PK Hypnosis, Offense Up, Quick Up, Defense Up, Defense Down, PSI Shields, and Powershields that could work for his moveset, but his various healing techniques he also learns would be broken in Smash.

If that isn't enough, you can give him PK Beam as a projectile attack, even though he can't learn it. You could also give him elemental PSI, but Ness already covers that. Let's assume if he has PK Beam or elemental PSI that he learned them from Ana (his girlfriend!).

Despite this, his chances are lower than many other DLC choices. Lucas would probably get in before he is seriously considered. If a VC release of Mother 1 happens, however, his chances would spike to promote sales.

In short:

Pros
    Potential for unique moveset
    Give underrated franchise more reps, since one was already lost
    Give game a character for representation, when it only has music and one stage in all of Smash history

Cons
    From a very obscure, old game that was only in Japan
    Mother's head said the franchise was dead
    Looks like Ness, but can be differentiated

Arguments: TBD
    I will probably edit this post, so feel free to discuss, criticize, and socialize.

Edit: Alternate artwork (changed: credit to AEM for finding it)

[​IMG]

Often times, Ninten is portrayed with a red, white and blue stripped shirt, unlike Ness's blue and yellow shirt. Ninten also often has a red bandanna around his neck too.

Let me know if you want to be added onto the supporters!

Edit: Our focus right now as supporters is to get Ninten in as a skin, a more realistic goal at this point. Now that Lucas has been confirmed, it is incredibly unlikely that Ninten as a separate character will get in.

PSIBoy, Lucimar, Starlol9, Azure Warrior, Sakuraichu, Shin F., AdmN30, W O N D E R, Cool Typhlosion, Geno Boost, TheDudeMan, smileMasky, Amiiboshibbo, BlueShadow.EXE, Brickbuild101, @smashkirby

#1 PSIBoy, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. Lucimar

Lucimar
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

3DS FC:
    1332-8783-7823
    NNID:
    Callin
    I support Ninten. It would be great if we could have him so we could have all three Mother protagonists, even as a costume.

I would suggest to have some artwork to show how he could be visually different from Ness.

3. Starlol9

Starlol9
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

3DS FC:
    0130-3074-4775
    NNID:
    Starlol9
    I will support Ninten too! Though Lucas is the character I want back the most I would love Ninten in Smash aswell!

Wouldn't all the Mother Protagonists look really cool together?!?! :love:

4. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

I admit, I do support Lucas more, but I'm hoping for at least 1 more Mother character, and Ninten was the one who had the best shot without a support thread yet that wasn't locked.

Raheem The Dream and Starlol9 like this.
  5. Starlol9

Starlol9
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

3DS FC:
    0130-3074-4775
    NNID:
    Starlol9
    Yup! Same! It was quite harsh to get rid of a Mother character and lower the amount of Mother content.
    It's kinda sad...

PSIBoy likes this.
  6. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Mother's not the only one who suffered: Ice Climbers have none and StarFox lost one. But yeah, know what you mean. Played Earthbound: Rather easy, but I guess it gets it's fame from the theme. Mother is so underrated as a series and is generally forgotten and kicked to the curbside in the minds of many.

Starlol9 likes this.
  7. chuckthesmashlover

chuckthesmashlover
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

Metal Gear was also completely removed. People keep forgetting that.

PSIBoy likes this.
  8. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Right, sorry. I guess there is less outrage over Snake than some of the others due to him being 3rd party, but yeah.

9. Yomi's Biggest Fan

Yomi's Biggest Fan
    Expand Collapse
    See You Next Year, Baby

3DS FC:
    1375-7346-9605
    NNID:
    Takamaru64
    Switch FC:
    SW-8277-6509-2593
    It would be a dream come true to have all 3 Mother protagonists, but Lucas has the better chance and 3 reps for Mother would have been too much. I do support Ninten however since I have a bit more nostalgia with that game than Mother 2 (Earthbound).

#9 Yomi's Biggest Fan, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Raheem The Dream, Lucimar and PSIBoy like this.
  10. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

At the very least, Ninten can be an alt, right? And if Lucas doesn't get in for whatever reason, it's nice to have a fallback to support. But, yeah. A lot of people were pissed when Kid Icarus got 3 characters, don't want the same thing happening to Mother.

Yomi's Biggest Fan likes this.
  11. BluePikmin11

BluePikmin11
    Expand Collapse
    Akko is my dear daughter!

• Premium
    NNID:
    blue
    Ninten should've been an alt.
    I would be pretty okay with him being his own separate character. But since Lucas was cut, his chances went down a deep low. :E

12. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Ninten as an alt or clone would've helped cushion the blow for the loss of Lucas. Ninten as a separate unique character would've largely made up for Lucas. If Lucas was cut late in development/ran out of development time/intended for DLC, I can understand not having an alt then. But if the cut was decided early on and he wasn't intended for DLC... I don't know what Nintendo could've been thinking at all.

Raheem The Dream likes this.
  13. Shin F.

Shin F.
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Master

I support Ninten 100%, as if my avatar wasn't enough to show that. :p In fact, I have a big moveset for him (made for Project M, but just as fitting for other games) in my sig.

I do think Lucas should be back first, being a veteran, but if there was ever going to be another Mother character after him, I think it's only fitting to make it the very first game's protagonist.

I would also be content with him as a costume.

#13 Shin F., Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    Raheem The Dream, Rimjo and PSIBoy like this.
  14. AEMehr

AEMehr
    Expand Collapse
    Mii Fighter

3DS FC:
    1908-1184-3456
    NNID:
    Ariand54321
    Funny you mention that.
    [​IMG]
    This is a pretty great edit of Ness' render to accomplish that. I would like Ninten to be a part of the main cast if they made him use moves he, Ness, and Lucas are all capable of using. Rather than borrowing Ana's / Paula's / Kumatora's PSI attacks. Though that is if Lucas doesn't do that if he gets remade.

15. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

This thread actually got a reply *cries*. Yeah, I think Lucas will be first, but Ninten would be awesome to have if there is another Mother character added. To be frank, I don't understand why so people want Porky or Masked Man no offense, while Mother 1 is the only game in Smash without a character.

This thread actually got two replies... *cries again*. So, where did you find that? I'm considering using that instead of the one I already have up there. Looks so much better.

16. AEMehr

AEMehr
    Expand Collapse
    Mii Fighter

3DS FC:
    1908-1184-3456
    NNID:
    Ariand54321
    I would imagine it is because they're both ideal choices for a villain from the franchise. Porky especially imo, he's been a major antagonist in two of the games.
    It says so in the image, but you can find the artist's DeviantART here.

Raheem The Dream and PSIBoy like this.
  17. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

That makes sense, but there don't seem to be many villains I like: I prefer the ones which are more calculating, thinking they're doing the right thing, and realistic generally, which neither seems to be.

And thank you. I didn't notice that actually.

18. Reigaheres

Reigaheres
    Expand Collapse
    Roses are Blue, Violets are Blue, I'm Blue too

3DS FC:
    1461-7646-7368
    I love the mother series, Mother 3 is my fav game, but Ninten has minimal chance to enter compared to Lucas and to ,a lesser extent, Poo and Porky due to his resemblance to Ness, he is at best an alternate costume for Ness.
    Though, they could give him slight edit to differ him, maybe make him taller, have different hair style/color, different hat position, make his shirt have a single white stripe like the japonese sprite, etc. they can make him a more different looking character.
    Possible moveset:
    :GCB:: Hypnosis, Ninten shoots a small wave in a matter similar to :4pacman: grab, lulls opponents to sleep on contact with it.
    :GCL::GCB::GCR:: Teleport, if if you hold the button Ninten runs, even in the air, when you release you teleport ala Farore's Wind.
    :GCU::GCB::Quick Up, Ninten surrounds him self in a bubble similar to a shield, but smaller, it will shrink like a shield a bit more quickly and when it dissapears completely you gain a speed increase.
    :GCD::GCB:: Telepathy+PK Freeze: Ninten reads the opponents mind and sees when he will attack, so when the opponent hits during this moment, Ninten evades and uses PK Freeze, which at higher percentages freezes for a while.

Final Smash: EVE Summon, as the name says, Ninten summons EVE and stays in the background, at this time you control EVE, using attacks mapped for A and B
    :GCA:: EVE pounds the ground with her fists, causes damage to who's under and stunning who's close.
    :GCB:: EVE shoots a laser at the ground that turns into a giant spark ball that travels like a Lil' Sparky, does greater damage when hit by the laser itself.

EDIT: Extra information that I forgot to add: Ninten's grab is PK Beam, it looks like a lasso of energy and works as a tether recovery. Ninten also would use boomerangs and slingshots in his moveset to make him more unique than the other PSI kids.

#18 Reigaheres, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  19. Shin F.

Shin F.
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Master

This was a render I made of him, by the way, from a Brawl mod I made that goes over Ness. It's a design by Solbliminal I decided to make into a costume.
    Ninten (Smash 3).png
    And here's the moveset that was linked in my signature, I think I might just put this here and link to this thread instead. Not sure yet. (Also a couple of others quoted who had ideas for him).

#19 Shin F., Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  20. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Well, you certainly outdid yourself there. All this information... Overwhelming.

21. Wintropy

Wintropy
    Expand Collapse
    Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3

3DS FC:
    1461-6253-6301
    NNID:
    Winterwhite
    In all honest, I know very very little about the Mother franchise, but I like the look of this chap and the Mother characters are always great fun to play as.

Not sure if he'd be likely as a separate character, but there's really no reason why he shouldn't at least be an alt. Those fan renders are too good.

PSIBoy likes this.
  22. AdmN30

AdmN30
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

NNID:
    AdmiralN
    Switch FC:
    SW-2324-3227-3622
    Ninten should get more recognition. Count me as a supporter!

Raheem The Dream and PSIBoy like this.
  23. Wanderer from Roseyard

Wanderer from Roseyard
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

I'd find it funny if Ninten appeared in the exact likeness of his clay model; especially if he moved in an odd, stopmotionesque frame rate. It might make him look creepy, but Mother is no stranger to ghoulish under(and over)tones, and we rarely get to see that side presented in SSB.

oZzIIgk likes this.
  24. W O N D E R

W O N D E R
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

3DS FC:
    1224-5125-5512
    NNID:
    Wonderful102
    SUPPORT, NINTEN>NESS, I never liked ness's style in clothes anyways, now ZeRo can final have a scarf main!

PSIBoy likes this.
  25. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Meh. Lucas>Ness>Ninten for me. But I shall respect your opinion since you are a fellow supporter (although I would respect it either way).

And wow, this thread is becoming fairly active right now. A week or two ago and I wasn't expecting another reply to this.

26. W O N D E R

W O N D E R
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

3DS FC:
    1224-5125-5512
    NNID:
    Wonderful102
    I actually like Lucas, since in almost every game/show, the weak/afraid/scared characters have amazing and powerful powers, that's what makes them better than the characters who don't give a heck. :lucas:

#26 W O N D E R, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    PSIBoy likes this.
  27. Magikarpow

Magikarpow
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

I don't really want another Mother character but if I did I think Porky would be better because he serves the antagonist role and was in two games.

28. Cool Typhlosion

Cool Typhlosion
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

I support
    also final smash needs to be 8 melodies

29. Cool Typhlosion

Cool Typhlosion
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

here is my idea for a moveset
    B. Defence down .Ninten Creates a spere of energy that can be used like pk thunder .but insead of damage it tempotaroly makes opponets take more knockback
    side b Pk Beam he sends a beam forward like the charge beam attack in kirby . it can be angled slightly
    Up b 4-th d slip somewhat like zeldas ninten dissapears. Id doesnt do damage but it has more range
    Down b Telepathy Its a counter not much to say
    Final smash 8 melodies Ninten sings the 8 melodies (Volcal) and the opponents fall assleep with a flower on their head Ana And Lyoid appear in the background
    Taunts Hums the first line of the 8 melodies, Pulls out his starts to sneeze then he pulls out his inhaler ,cant think of a third
    Victory theme the same as ness has

30. Cool Typhlosion

Cool Typhlosion
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

Palutenas guidence for Ninten
    Pit . Ness seems a little off today
    Palutena . Thats because Ness isnt here You are fighting Ninten
    Pit :anyway what can he do
    Paulutena . he does psi but compared to the elemental attacks ness uses. he seemes to use more defencive psi
    Pit . one more thing. I noteiced Him singing . he is so good Could he teach me to sing after this battle
    Palutena . Skyworld could use a singer

31. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

As much as I appreciate your suggestions, please try to refrain from double/triple posting. The mods will likely infringe you for that.

32. Cool Typhlosion

Cool Typhlosion
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

sorry im new on smashboards so i didnt know sorry

PSIBoy likes this.
  33. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

It's cool. At least you revived this thread, although I was considering doing so myself.

34. Geno Boost

Geno Boost
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

i support him. i think we need the first main character from MOTHER seires its wierd to have a character from MOTHER 2 and MOTHER 3 without having a character from the first game

#34 Geno Boost, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  35. TheSolidZero

TheSolidZero
    Expand Collapse
    Radio

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    4441-8453-4042
    NNID:
    solidzerovii
    Yeah, I totally agree here. I've been wanting Ninten for a while, MOTHER definitely needs more representation than what it has. Count me in on this list!

36. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Well, we're now up to 11 supporters counting me. Thank you everybody for your support!

37. Ninten_Lover

Ninten_Lover
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Rookie

Yes i like Lucas But Ninten is more cool!And its an new character anyone likes newcomrs.

Raheem The Dream, Lucimar and PSIBoy like this.
  38. PSIBoy

PSIBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Should I add you to the support list?

Also, welcome to Smashboards.

39. Rabbattack

Rabbattack
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

3DS FC:
    1627-8463-7654
    NNID:
    RabbitLord443
    I really want Ninten now, but I can only realistically see him in the next Smash because this one took all the recognizable characters. They'll really have to dig deep for newcomers next time.

I would love to hear the 8 Melodies in Smash, too bad Sakurai cut the song from Brawl, now it's mixed in with Magicant and it's not the same. Eight Melodies for the final smash I agree on.

Up special-4th D Slip like Lady Palutenas and Mewtwos teleport. Teleport rolls off the tongue better, but 4th D slip makes more sense.
    Neutral special-PK Beam It could be like ROBs neutral special, but it goes straight.
    Side special-Boomerang, just like Toon Link.
    Down special-Power Shield. Power Shield will reflect projectiles back at the user.

Raheem The Dream and Lucimar like this.
  40. smileMasky

smileMasky
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

3DS FC:
    1349-6667-1990
    NNID:
    TPPyro
    I would love to see this guy in some form I'll be honest I did not play mother 1 or 3 I did watch playthroughs and I know that may not be enough to truly know the character but still he is his own persona. and I loved the story line too. I think he would be strictly a defensive character perfect for team fights and I think would capture his essences in the original mother 1.
    here is what I propose for a move set
    his standard attacks will focus on him using his fists and bat mostly he is not really offensive on PSI stand point
    NOTE: a lot of the moves are going to be very reminiscent of ness but with out the Pk power

A-A-A
    like Ness' combo but instead of a kick he swings his bat

Dash attack
    the same as Ness but it does not include the PSI ability so like classic SSB N64 ness with the knock up mechanic too or he could swing his bat the same way Shulk does his dash attack

side tilt
    a punch that knocks back

down tilt
    bat sweep

up tilt
    same as ness in the classic N64

side smash
    he swings his bat but instead of it being the same way as ness it has the motion of a golf club giving it a good hit box but the opponent flies upward

Up smash
    I got 2 ideas for this one he could use PK beam as his up smash similar to Lucas or a head-butt

Down smash
    Swinging his bat both ways

Neutral air
    swing his bat in a circle like his spins

Up air
    flip kick like Pacmans'

Back air
    back fist kind of like little mac's back air but with more damage

Forward air
    swings his bat forward

Down air
    he swings both his fists under him giving it a meteor effect

B moves

neutral B
    Offence Up I played some Project M Lucas and his Neutral buffs him and it takes a bit for him to actual get the buff so I think that would be a good change in gameplay

Side B
    PK Beam or Hypnosis if it's PK Beam it would be have some decent knock back but not very big or last very long other wise Hypnosis would do the same a Jigglypuff but the the same hit box of Mewtwo's down B

Down B
    Power Shield could be used as a counter or just a projectile destroyer or reflector

Up B
    4th D slip short teleport has the same mechanics as Mewtwo

Throws

pummel
    Head-butt

Up throw
    throws him up and PK beams the opponent

Back throw
    He uses 4th D slip and teleports them a small distance from ninten

Forward throw
    he throws his opponent up like a ball then he swings his bat for a home run swing

Down throw
    Hypnosis making the opponent sleep for a brief period

Final smash
    he teleports opponents in front of him in to a battle Ana, Loid and Eve show up to attack the opponents and eve finishes it up with an explosion.

Note: I think Ninten would only speak via telepathy I think he needs to save his breath for battle he does have asthma

so that is the best I can come up with for Ninten I just really wish they at least make him a costume for Ness