• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4th-D Slip Master: Ninten for DLC!

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
I support Ninten, but knowing Sakurai, he will most likely be a semi-clone. So, I'm gonna think of a semi-clone moveset for Ninten that uses some PK attacks that only Ana can use.
:GCB: PK BrainShock: A large purple PK Flash, that when an opponent is hit by one, does a tiny bit more damage than PK Freeze, and causes the target to become dizzy (the effect that happens when your shield is broken). Does not do this in air.
:GCL::GCB::GCR: PK Beam: Like Lucas's PK Fire, but does not cause the fire effect and is faster. Instead of an orange lightning bolt, it'll look more like Falco's blaster, but shorter and green. Curves downward more than Ness's so it has less range on the ground.
:GCU::GCB: PK Thunder: Similar to Ness's Rolling PK Thunder.
:GCD::GCB: PSI Shield: Activates a shield that looks similar to PSI Magnet, but more green. If an energy-based projectile hits it, it will spiral around Ninten, then will shoot back at the sender. Unlike Ness's, the shield pushes enemies away while the shield is activated, instead of pushing them away when it's deactivated. Automatically deactivates after 3 seconds, and has a 4 second cooldown. If used before the cooldown is over, Nnten poses as if the shield is activated, then immediately stops posing.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I've only played Earthbound 0 so Ninten in the one I'm most familiar with. I have a few ideas for Ninten. One is his PSI abilities in relation of Ness and Lucas. Ninten has the least amount of PSI between the three of them and his skills should be focus more on that. Ninten has no offensive PSI abilities and all of them should be utilities (e.g. 4th D Slip being a teleport recovery). He should also be stronger and attack harder than Ness and Lucas. So it looks like this.

Ninten: High physical, Low PSI
Ness: Med physical, Med PSI
Lucas: Low physical, High PSI

Another idea for Ninten is that he uses the bat all the time instead of just smash attacks. If all else fails they should at least have a Mii swordsman costume of him but using a bat over a sword.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I've only played Earthbound 0 so Ninten in the one I'm most familiar with. I have a few ideas for Ninten. One is his PSI abilities in relation of Ness and Lucas. Ninten has the least amount of PSI between the three of them and his skills should be focus more on that. Ninten has no offensive PSI abilities and all of them should be utilities (e.g. 4th D Slip being a teleport recovery). He should also be stronger and attack harder than Ness and Lucas. So it looks like this.

Ninten: High physical, Low PSI
Ness: Med physical, Med PSI
Lucas: Low physical, High PSI

Another idea for Ninten is that he uses the bat all the time instead of just smash attacks. If all else fails they should at least have a Mii swordsman costume of him but using a bat over a sword.
I'd rather have him a ness costume if he does not at least make the character roster he feels too special though he does deserve some recognition

Tomato Hentai

Smash Rookie
NNID
aquaticdesert
3DS FC
4699-6951-5845
I'm more familiar with Ness from MOTHER 2, as I have played more MOTHER 2 than I have MOTHER, but I think having Ninten in Smash as at least an alt. costume for Ness would be pretty dang rad.

Sorry if I'm gonna get in trouble for bumping a slightly old thread.

EDIT:
Also forgot to mention that I actually voted for Ninten as an alt. costume for Ness a while ago.

Last edited:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Here's a little promo that I made for Ninten.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
No.

As much as I'm a fan of the EarthBound series, I feel there shouldn't be more than two characters, considering the series status.
It just feel sort of greedy to want another rep after Lucas was recently revealed. I'm certain I'm not the only one who thought he'd be gone for good.

MOTHER is also by far the least accessible of the games in the series. Would he be revealed, most people would probably question why he'd be picked over more popular or relevant characters. They'd also be quite furious.

However, if he got the Olimar/Alph treatment as a costume for Ness, bring it on.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Here's a little promo that I made for Ninten.

Pretty good.

No.

As much as I'm a fan of the EarthBound series, I feel there shouldn't be more than two characters, considering the series status.
It just feel sort of greedy to want another rep after Lucas was recently revealed. I'm certain I'm not the only one who thought he'd be gone for good.

MOTHER is also by far the least accessible of the games in the series. Would he be revealed, most people would probably question why he'd be picked over more popular or relevant characters. They'd also be quite furious.

However, if he got the Olimar/Alph treatment as a costume for Ness, bring it on.
I made this back in 2014, so it was in doubt whether or not Lucas would even return. I'll probably edit this when I stop being lazy to just being an alt or something.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
It just feel sort of greedy to want another rep after Lucas was recently revealed.
Personally, I think that if Smash Bros can get away with three Kid Icarus characters (which has the same amount of games as the Mother series and also has no currently known plans for a sequel) then it wouldn’t be greedy to add at least one more Mother character. Besides, a lot of people were expecting new characters from the Zelda and DKC series which are more ongoing and popular than Mother and Kid Icarus but didn’t get any (as of now). From the way I see it, there is no set-in-stone rule for Smash Bros that says “This series deserves x amount of characters”.

I'm certain I'm not the only one who thought he'd be gone for good.
While I was upset that Lucas wasn't in the default roster, I thought it was kind of a stretch to say he was gone for good. I am relieved to see that he's coming back.

MOTHER is also by far the least accessible of the games in the series.
Even though Nintendo of America didn't officially release the first Mother game in North America they did fully translate it. Plus, reproduction cartridges do exist for the game. If anything, it’s more accessible than Mother 3 (even with Mother 3's fan translation).

Would he be revealed, most people would probably question why he'd be picked over more popular or relevant characters. They'd also be quite furious.
Not necessarily. At the time of Melee, Marth was only popular and relevant in Japan. NOA was afraid that he and Roy wouldn’t appeal to North American gamers. However, when Americans saw these lesser known characters they weren’t furious. In fact, quite the opposite happened. By putting Marth and Roy in the game more people became interested in Fire Emblem. One could argue that Ness and Lucas's inclusion has spread interest of their games too. The same could be possible with Ninten if he was included.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Ninten has launched back in to one of my all time wanted ssb characters He does have music and a stage but... he did start the franchise and without his success in japan we would have never had Ness or Lucas It saddens me to not see anything of Ninten himself in SSB4.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Personally, I think that if Smash Bros can get away with three Kid Icarus characters (which has the same amount of games as the Mother series and also has no currently known plans for a sequel) then it wouldn’t be greedy to add at least one more Mother character. Besides, a lot of people were expecting new characters from the Zelda and DKC series which are more ongoing and popular than Mother and Kid Icarus but didn’t get any (as of now). From the way I see it, there is no set-in-stone rule for Smash Bros that says “This series deserves x amount of characters”.

Even though Nintendo of America didn't officially release the first Mother game in North America they did fully translate it. Plus, reproduction cartridges do exist for the game. If anything, it’s more accessible than Mother 3 (even with Mother 3's fan translation).

Not necessarily. At the time of Melee, Marth was only popular and relevant in Japan. NOA was afraid that he and Roy wouldn’t appeal to North American gamers. However, when Americans saw these lesser known characters they weren’t furious. In fact, quite the opposite happened. By putting Marth and Roy in the game more people became interested in Fire Emblem. One could argue that Ness and Lucas's inclusion has spread interest of their games too. The same could be possible with Ninten if he was included.
One of them being a last-minute clone that probably wasn't that hard to make (at least compared to other characters). Pit and Dark Pit are hardly different characters. And this is DLC we're talking about, noone would pay extra for a Dark Pit type clone (well, maybe you would).
EarthBound is also by far a more obscure and niche series.

MOTHER is still the least accessable.
MOTHER 3 has an ENOURMOUS popularity going for it. I'd go as far as saying it's the only japan-only game that isn't obscure in the west.
It is also weighed down by outdated RPG elements, common in NES era RPGs. It lacks direction, it's quite grind-y, it's got quite a few things that would make people not want to play it.

But there is nothing to promote. All the fan-outcry is for MOTHER 3. There is a reason why people don't talk that much about MOTHER (listed above).
That aside, Ninten looks almost identical to Ness. Hate to break it to you, but canon Nintens shirt is blue and yellow stripes and he doesn't wear a bandanna. People who arn't familiar with the series would compare this to the whole Dark Pit fiasco and call it a "wasted slot"... which it is, it costs an extra 4$ and if they make him unique from Ness and Lucas, he'd likely eat a space from a more requested character.

You are WAY too optimistic to be an EarthBound fan.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
One of them being a last-minute clone that probably wasn't that hard to make (at least compared to other characters). Pit and Dark Pit are hardly different characters. And this is DLC we're talking about, noone would pay extra for a Dark Pit type clone (well, maybe you would).

MOTHER 3 has an ENOURMOUS popularity going for it. I'd go as far as saying it's the only japan-only game that isn't obscure in the west.
It is also weighed down by outdated RPG elements, common in NES era RPGs. It lacks direction, it's quite grind-y, it's got quite a few things that would make people not want to play it.

But there is nothing to promote. All the fan-outcry is for MOTHER 3. There is a reason why people don't talk that much about MOTHER (listed above).
That aside, Ninten looks almost identical to Ness. Hate to break it to you, but canon Nintens shirt is blue and yellow stripes and he doesn't wear a bandanna. People who arn't familiar with the series would compare this to the whole Dark Pit fiasco and call it a "wasted slot"... which it is, it costs an extra 4$ and if they make him unique from Ness and Lucas, he'd likely eat a space from a more requested character.

I think you sound way too pessimistic.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990

woah there bro whats with the harsh tone? ya sure nintendo at the moment can't give 2 ****s about the mother franchise and I know the odds are really stacked against him but come on man. why you got to shoot down Ninten like that? The least they could do for him is some sort of trophy or I'm hoping an alt for Ness. We all got our hopes for smash why do you need to ruin it?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
@ PSIBoy PSIBoy Unless you have some great arguments to talk about, you might as well stop by the RTC thread since it's going on until tomorrow evening. I del that his Japanese obscurity (Ironic given my avatar) and how divisive the first game was is what's really going to give him such down votes. Though, I had been honest about the situation while talking about ho there are many other Mother characters with more support over him like Porky.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
woah there bro whats with the harsh tone? ya sure nintendo at the moment can't give 2 ****s about the mother franchise and I know the odds are really stacked against him but come on man. why you got to shoot down Ninten like that? The least they could do for him is some sort of trophy or I'm hoping an alt for Ness. We all got our hopes for smash why do you need to ruin it?
Same reason I tell people who are hoping for MOTHER 3 this E3 it ain't happening.
Considering the amount of attention the series did get recently, we should be thankful for what we get.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Same reason I tell people who are hoping for MOTHER 3 this E3 it ain't happening.
Considering the amount of attention the series did get recently, we should be thankful for what we get.
I am thankful for what we have of the Mother series and I understand were you are coming from but I think with a little time things can change. Hell I even started to re play Earthbound for the fun of it.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I am thankful for what we have of the Mother series and I understand were you are coming from but I think with a little time things can change. Hell I even started to re play Earthbound for the fun of it.
Yeah, I think my tone may have been a lil' too harsh.
But here's the bottom line: time. We just got Lucas back, it's someone elses turn next.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
This is why I say he'd be a good rep for Smash 5, since all the most popular characters are already in the game. They have to add more characters, but the obvious ones have already been done, so they'd have to dig deep next time around.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This is why I say he'd be a good rep for Smash 5, since all the most popular characters are already in the game. They have to add more characters, but the obvious ones have already been done, so they'd have to dig deep next time around.
Soooooo Flying Man for Smash? Jk

I can see this being the case since there are few popular or "all star" characters left to cover. It's only a matter of time until we see who are the lucky guys to be DLC this generation.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'd say they've probably got enough popular characters for another game's worth of Newcomers without having to dig too deep. Not counting potential DLC, of course. There's Dixie, K Rool, Ridley, Dark Samus, Isaac, Inkling, Ray MK III, Andy, Chibi Robo, probably a retro or two like Takamaru or Mach Rider, probably a new Pokemon or two by then along with a new Zelda / Fire Emblem rep, plus whatever 3rd Parties they can get their hands on. Not to mention any potential new IPs before the next game comes out.

I'd still love to see Ninten, of course, but I don't think he'll get in from a lack of other possible Newcomers.

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
Bamp! I'm cool with Ninten as a skin. Wouldn't make sense to have him as a fully playable character IMHO, but Lucina is a thing so... XD

Personally I think Pokey Minch would be an Awesome Earthbound series rep for a new character since he's in two of the 3 games and he's an antagonist.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Bamp! I'm cool with Ninten as a skin. Wouldn't make sense to have him as a fully playable character IMHO, but Lucina is a thing so... XD

Personally I think Pokey Minch would be an Awesome Earthbound series rep for a new character since he's in two of the 3 games and he's an antagonist.
It wouldn't make sense having him as a skin, to be honest. His abilities are very different from Ness and Lucas, seeing as he doesn't use offensive PSI attacks. And he could easily set himself far apart from the others just by using his bat and other weapons in more of his normals instead of just his Smash attacks.

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
It wouldn't make sense having him as a skin, to be honest. His abilities are very different from Ness and Lucas, seeing as he doesn't use offensive PSI attacks. And he could easily set himself far apart from the others just by using his bat and other weapons in more of his normals instead of just his Smash attacks.
Ness and Lucas didn't really seem to use offensive Psi all that much in their own games either. At least in my experience with Mother 1-3 PK Love, PSI Rockin' and PK Flash didn't get anywhere near as much usage as their buffs and healing PSI because my team would die unless Ninten/Ness/Lucas functioned as a healer in most situations. All of the Mother's main characters seem to be more like defensive brawlers like paladins instead of the offensive mages Smash portrays them as. Really, Ness and Lucas's Smash portrayal is really weird!

I'm not against Ninten being a character, but from an outsider's perspective Ninten wouldn't register to the average player. That being said, he would be a nice low design scope addition to the game. An altered Ness character model or a new texture on Ness's model would suffice and then they could take the animations and rigs from Lucas / Ness to fill in his moves. Unless Lucas's model has completely different rigs and what not.

The only way Ninten makes sense as a character is if they feel like filling the game with a butt load of DLC. He's obscure and he looks like Ness, but Nintendo could use him as an opportunity to promote the release Mother on the Virtual console. If they ever decide to do so.

Regardless, Lucina is a thing so maybe we will see him as a separate character for the same reasons. If he manages to make it into the game he will probably be clone like simply because it's easier from a game development standpoint and because Sakurai doesn't seem to understand Mother.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Ness and Lucas didn't really seem to use offensive Psi all that much in their own games either. At least in my experience with Mother 1-3 PK Love, PSI Rockin' and PK Flash didn't get anywhere near as much usage as their buffs and healing PSI because my team would die unless Ninten/Ness/Lucas functioned as a healer in most situations. All of the Mother's main characters seem to be more like defensive brawlers like paladins instead of the offensive mages Smash portrays them as. Really, Ness and Lucas's Smash portrayal is really weird!

I'm not against Ninten being a character, but from an outsider's perspective Ninten wouldn't register to the average player. That being said, he would be a nice low design scope addition to the game. An altered Ness character model or a new texture on Ness's model would suffice and then they could take the animations and rigs from Lucas / Ness to fill in his moves. Unless Lucas's model has completely different rigs and what not.

The only way Ninten makes sense as a character is if they feel like filling the game with a butt load of DLC. He's obscure and he looks like Ness, but Nintendo could use him as an opportunity to promote the release Mother on the Virtual console. If they ever decide to do so.

Regardless, Lucina is a thing so maybe we will see him as a separate character for the same reasons.
I know all of this. My point was that Ness and Lucas at least do have the potential to use offensive attacks (PK Rockin and PK Love), even if they're not the ones they have in Smash, whereas Ninten doesn't have a single one. It would be a good opportunity for Nintendo to have a character who really represents the role actually played in-game by main Mother protagonists, using things like Offense Up, Quick Up, and Defense Up like Shulk's Monado Arts, or as separate specials similar to the way Project M made Lucas use Offense Up, and with a recovery that actually makes use of PK Teleport or 4th-D Slip.

With a significantly different set of specials, normals that focus more on his tools (bat, slingshot, boomerang) rather than punches, kicks, and PSI, (having him spike people with his bat as a fair, for instance) and a new, updated design like what Pit got in Brawl to make him stand out visually, he could make a pretty great character.

His only true downside, as you pointed out, is his obscurity, which actually does make him a bad choice for DLC. We've gotten obscure retro characters before, of course, but with DLC the character has to sell on their own, without a full cast of characters alongside them appealing to everyone.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Guys.

GUYS.

Mother 1 confirmed for Wii U as Earthbound Beginnings!!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Guys.

GUYS.

Mother of god, my favorite entry in the series is finally avaiable in the West through legal means.

But the real question is if the game is heavily censored like the English ROM (No smoking crows, the bloodless Gang Zombies, etc)?

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Guys.

GUYS.

Well, that's one thing I didn't expect. Still, I didn't expect the graphics to be touched on, though is I hoped they would be slightly improved... Oh well. I wonder how the difficulty level will be. Even so, I don't think this will affect Ninten's chances significantly, with Lucas already in Smash. But maybe Mother 3 eventually...

Oh, and thank you for sharing this. I very much appreciate the news.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think that Ninten could be interesting, sort of a semi clone of Lucas and Ness. With Mother 1 Earthbound Beginnings finally being released, perhaps that could give people reason to vote for Ninten.

Also, I feel that Nintendo will heavily consider adding semi clones. Considering that they created Mewtwo and Ryu as unique characters, yet were able to bring Roy and Lucas as semi clones, I feel that semi clones like Tetra/Impa, Dixie Kong, and Ninten have a fighting chance.

BlueShadow.EXE

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlueShadow.EXE
3DS FC
2036-9070-3056
I support Ninten all the way!!! That's all I really have to say, I'm three fourths asleep and am barely conscious enough to right this. G,night!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's sad how few supporters there are. Support.
Mostly it's because his game was Japan-only at first and people were under the impression that he looks similar to Ness. I see can him gaining a bit more support in the ballot if people actually enjoy Earthbound Begginings.

Top Bottom