• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Saints Gaming Live 2018 (56 Entrants) (Canada) (C Tier)

1st: Samsora:4peach::rosalina:
2nd: Tweek:4bayonetta::4cloud2:
3rd: Larry Lurr:4fox:
4th: Mistake:4bayonetta2:
5th: Captain L:4pikachu:
5th: Marss:4zss:
7th: Blacktwins:4cloud2::4mario:
7th: THUNDER:4ryu:
9th: ANTi:4mario::4cloud2:
9th: Keitaro:4falco:
9th: Lightwork:4villager:
9th: YD:4marth::4lucina:

If anyone has the bracket for Super Smash Fight Club 2 that actually works, please let me know.

Its been that way since late 2017 or maybe even earlier.
You guys are kinda exaggerating Villager's state right now. It has been hard, and is the perfect example of how much losing a player can affect a character, but he is far from out yet.

could samsora :4peach: be a contender for a spot in the top 15-10 for the next pgr? He had a lot of good wins and placements this season
He already is prior to this event. lol
Top 10 though, that is going to be a tricky wall to break.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
For the first time ever, Europeans Smash 4 players will finally have its first official Top 50 EU Rankings! Here are the list of the top 50 European players!

Top 50 Best European Players:
  1. Mr. R :4sheik::4cloud2::4feroy:
  2. Gluttony :4wario::4dk:
  3. Ixis :4sonic:
  4. cyve :4diddy::4mewtwo::4bayonetta:
  5. S1 :4ness::4cloud2:
  6. quiK :4zss::4samus::4mario:
  7. Purple~H :4cloud2::4dk::4mewtwo:
  8. Griffith :4fox::4bayonetta::4megaman:
  9. MagiMagi :4mewtwo:
  10. iStudying :4greninja:
  11. Elexiao :4greninja::4pacman:
  12. Ho :4sheik:
  13. Supahsemmie :4mario:
  14. Space :4corrinf::4bayonetta::rosalina:
  15. Light :4sheik::4mario:
  16. LoNg0uw :4rob::4fox::4cloud2:
  17. Marcbri :4diddy::4cloud2::4pit:
  18. Meru :4peach::4zelda:
  19. Pefo :4sonic:
  20. Sodrek :4fox::4cloud2::4sheik:
  21. Ramses :4corrinf:
  22. Badr :4bayonetta::4diddy:
  23. Pepo :4zss::4bayonetta::4cloud2:
  24. Azreal :4cloud2::4metaknight:
  25. Kibzu :4sheik::4bayonetta::4cloud2:
  26. Homika :rosalina:
  27. Myollnir :4bayonetta::4kirby:
  28. LuiS :4corrinf::4ryu:
  29. Plastic Poptart :4lucina::4marth:
  30. TheFlow :4feroy::4cloud2:
  31. wusi :4fox:
  32. Tomenimo :4cloud2::4bayonetta::rosalina:
  33. Peli :4sonic:
  34. Skarfelt :4fox:
  35. MVL :4sheik::4wario:
  36. M :4shulk::4metaknight:
  37. Afro Smash :4samus:
  38. Tatuman :rosalina:
  39. Destany :4littlemac::4metaknight:
  40. Fire :4charizard:
  41. OwlBBs :4bayonetta::4shulk::4duckhunt:
  42. J. Miller :4luigi:
  43. Patrino :4ryu::4fox:
  44. Yiazmat Goth :4mewtwo::4metaknight:
  45. Samuu :4bayonetta:
  46. Adom :4ganondorf:
  47. Schligger :4mewtwo::4pikachu:
  48. Loading... :4megaman:
  49. Ogey :4falcon:
  50. Klemenz :4yoshi:

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
For the first time ever, Europeans Smash 4 players will finally have its first official Top 50 EU Rankings! Here are the list of the top 50 European players!

Top 50 Best European Players:
  1. Mr. R :4sheik::4cloud2::4feroy:
  2. Gluttony :4wario::4dk:
  3. Ixis :4sonic:
  4. cyve :4diddy::4mewtwo::4bayonetta:
  5. S1 :4ness::4cloud2:
  6. quiK :4zss::4samus::4mario:
  7. Purple~H :4cloud2::4dk::4mewtwo:
  8. Griffith :4fox::4bayonetta::4megaman:
  9. MagiMagi :4mewtwo:
  10. iStudying :4greninja:
  11. Elexiao :4greninja::4pacman:
  12. Ho :4sheik:
  13. Supahsemmie :4mario:
  14. Space :4corrinf::4bayonetta::rosalina:
  15. Light :4sheik::4mario:
  16. LoNg0uw :4rob::4fox::4cloud2:
  17. Marcbri :4diddy::4cloud2::4pit:
  18. Meru :4peach::4zelda:
  19. Pefo :4sonic:
  20. Sodrek :4fox::4cloud2::4sheik:
  21. Ramses :4corrinf:
  22. Badr :4bayonetta::4diddy:
  23. Pepo :4zss::4bayonetta::4cloud2:
  24. Azreal :4cloud2::4metaknight:
  25. Kibzu :4sheik::4bayonetta::4cloud2:
  26. Homika :rosalina:
  27. Myollnir :4bayonetta::4kirby:
  28. LuiS :4corrinf::4ryu:
  29. Plastic Poptart :4lucina::4marth:
  30. TheFlow :4feroy::4cloud2:
  31. wusi :4fox:
  32. Tomenimo :4cloud2::4bayonetta::rosalina:
  33. Peli :4sonic:
  34. Skarfelt :4fox:
  35. MVL :4sheik::4wario:
  36. M :4shulk::4metaknight:
  37. Afro Smash :4samus:
  38. Tatuman :rosalina:
  39. Destany :4littlemac::4metaknight:
  40. Fire :4charizard:
  41. OwlBBs :4bayonetta::4shulk::4duckhunt:
  42. J. Miller :4luigi:
  43. Patrino :4ryu::4fox:
  44. Yiazmat Goth :4mewtwo::4metaknight:
  45. Samuu :4bayonetta:
  46. Adom :4ganondorf:
  47. Schligger :4mewtwo::4pikachu:
  48. Loading... :4megaman:
  49. Ogey :4falcon:
  50. Klemenz :4yoshi:
This is very cool. I remember many pages ago about talking about Europe deserving a power rankings. Since a Jigglypuff got in the Mexican Rankings, a Ganondorf naturally has to be in the European Rankings. XD
I dream of the day he is top 20 again
Ikr. The bright side is that this could've been worse.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
This is very cool. I remember many pages ago about talking about Europe deserving a power rankings. Since a Jigglypuff got in the Mexican Rankings, a Ganondorf naturally has to be in the European Rankings. XD

Ikr. The bright side is that this could've been worse.
Think he'll rise in the next tier list?

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Think he'll rise in the next tier list?
Not really, which is further pushed by other characters below him (specifically Ness, Greninja, and Mega Man) doing better. However, I think he will only drop about 1 to 2 spots only, considering DK's and especially Bowser's dropped results, his inherent strengths, and the efforts of the dedicated mains continuing to main him.

As I said before, this could've been worse, and I am glad it isn't. :)

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
MORE SMASH INVITATIONAL INFO: FOCUSING ON COMPETITIVE RULESET
According to Bill Trinen, Smash Invitational Top 8 will rely on a more competitive ruleset such as addition to Double Elimination to ensure the viewers to learn more about the competitive side of Smash

Bill Trinen:
“Our focus really is on how can the game become the focal point of that competitive fun for all sorts of players,” says Bill Trinen, the Nintendo product marketing director who has spearheaded much of the company’s e-sports efforts, “and how can we bring more players into that competitive scene.”
Link:
https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/6/6/17433512/nintendo-switch-esports-smash-bros-e3-2018

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
MORE SMASH INVITATIONAL INFO: FOCUSING ON COMPETITIVE RULESET
According to Bill Trinen, Smash Invitational Top 8 will rely on a more competitive ruleset such as addition to Double Elimination to ensure the viewers to learn more about the competitive side of Smash

Bill Trinen:

Link:
https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/6/6/17433512/nintendo-switch-esports-smash-bros-e3-2018
Never thought I live to see the day. The hype is real!

Still hope they have cool casual stuff on the game as always.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Someone posted a tier list based on results: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8qafpv/the_ultimate_smash_4_results_based_tier_list_20/

What's interesting is... This isn't too far from my own tier list. Duck Hunt at #20 is also very interesting. Anyway, I've previously argued that results are not the only factor and I stand by that, though it is still interesting.
There is a several oddities to this list based on results, but it is fine... I guess? (I use 7 characters in S tier in my current tier list lol)

Kinda weird to see Bowser Jr. and R.O.B. that low, and Duck Hunt, Luigi, Game & Watch, Wii Fit, and Palutena that high in results.

Something I find interesting is that some of today's tier lists are somewhat similar to this one lol.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Someone posted a tier list based on results: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8qafpv/the_ultimate_smash_4_results_based_tier_list_20/

What's interesting is... This isn't too far from my own tier list. Duck Hunt at #20 is also very interesting. Anyway, I've previously argued that results are not the only factor and I stand by that, though it is still interesting.
>Lucina STILL lumped in with marth
People people people, wake up from this nightmare

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
>Lucina STILL lumped in with marth
"Yes, The bulk of Lucina results actually come as a co-main to Marth, and the best Marth mains have used Lucina."

I wonder if this means that Marcina's score is inflated a bit? Did the creator discount double-dipping? If not, a Marth main with a Lucina secondary cound inflate the Marcina score (as could a Lucina main with a Marth secondary).

The Mario Bros are not better than Ryu.
Corrin is a tossup, Marcina is better than him.
Mario, Marth, Corrin, and Ryu are all around the same level, I'd say. There are differences, sure, and depending on who you're facing one or the other might be better. As for Marth vs Corrin, I think Corrin has a much better MU spread vs low tiers and mid tiers, but they aren't terribly relevant in general at higher levels. Against top tiers and high tiers it depends a bit on what your bracket looks like: Lots of Clouds and Marios and Foxes? Marth. Lots of Sonics and Rosalinas and Pikachus? Corrin is better. If you look at the overall big picture, Corrin's MU spread looks better, but losing to Fox, Cloud, Diddy, and Sheik hurts. She won't be a top tier, but she's still a good high tier character (and I'm happy people are acknowledging that now, lots of people used to arguet hat she wasn't even top 20).

Mario is kind of hard to estimate. On the one hand, he has an overall pretty good MU spread vs top and high tiers. On the other hand, Sonic. Also, he doesn't win many MUs hard, and he can randomly go even with some mid tiers.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
"Yes, The bulk of Lucina results actually come as a co-main to Marth, and the best Marth mains have used Lucina."

I wonder if this means that Marcina's score is inflated a bit? Did the creator discount double-dipping? If not, a Marth main with a Lucina secondary cound inflate the Marcina score (as could a Lucina main with a Marth secondary).

Mario, Marth, Corrin, and Ryu are all around the same level, I'd say. There are differences, sure, and depending on who you're facing one or the other might be better. As for Marth vs Corrin, I think Corrin has a much better MU spread vs low tiers and mid tiers, but they aren't terribly relevant in general at higher levels. Against top tiers and high tiers it depends a bit on what your bracket looks like: Lots of Clouds and Marios and Foxes? Marth. Lots of Sonics and Rosalinas and Pikachus? Corrin is better. If you look at the overall big picture, Corrin's MU spread looks better, but losing to Fox, Cloud, Diddy, and Sheik hurts.
Corrin's also generally agreed (based on what I've seen at least) to have a better matchup against Bayo than Marth, whether or not you think either wins.

She won't be a top tier, but she's still a good high tier character (and I'm happy people are acknowledging that now, lots of people used to arguet hat she wasn't even top 20).
Aah, the great Corrin debates of early V3. The phrase "mid tier with a couple top-tier moves" is permanently ingrained in my memory from those.

Anyway, E3 happened, and wavedashing is probably back, which is cool.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
it does look like Bayonetta was given a few nerfs but who knows
She does seem like a strong character. A noticeable nerf, among others, is that a lot of the stages seem to have large upper blast zones. Plup had the unfortunate combination of being in a stage with an almost Flat Zone sized upper blast zone, and using the largest character in the game. XD

Although MKLeo used her to defeat ZeRo on game one on grand finals, he barely used any latter combos at all.

Btw, congrats ZeRo on winning the Smash Invitational and not needle camp! XD

The game is still in development, with many balancing to come on the way, and Sakurai pointing out seeing a few bugs as well. The hype is indeed real!

It would be no surprise if this game had the least number of newcomers, with only Daisy and Ridley being any new ones so far, with one of them being a direct clone. It is now given an official name: Echo Fighters, characters who behave similarly with very similar movesets, but slightly different mechanics. So far, Lucina, Dark Pit, and Daisy are the only ones. Does this mean Dr. Mario endured Luigi-fication?

Last edited:

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
I wonder if we'll see anymore echo fighters besides the ones shown.
i have a few ideas for echo fighters

Funky Kong
Dark Bowser
Dark Meta Knight
Big Boss

also, Genesis 6 has just been revealed it will be the first major smash bros ultimate event check it out here I wonder if Nintendo made the release date December 7th solely for this so because Nintendo has sponsored genesis in the past

https://smash.gg/tournament/genesis-6/

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
i have a few ideas for echo fighters

Funky Kong
Dark Bowser
Dark Meta Knight
Big Boss

also, Genesis 6 has just been revealed it will be the first major smash bros ultimate event check it out here I wonder if Nintendo made the release date December 7th solely for this so because Nintendo has sponsored genesis in the past

https://smash.gg/tournament/genesis-6/
I could see Dixie Kong being a echo fighter for Diddy.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Welp they buffed the Sh** out of Pacman. Faster grab with no "Roy zones", Fruit cycles faster, F-air more Hitstun, More range on Side-B/less end lag, MUCH stronger B-air, Hydrant lasts longer (Though I heard people say that might be nerf)

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
honestly looking at cloud and the nefs they gave to him he might end up being a mid to low tier character

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
honestly looking at cloud and the nefs they gave to him he might end up being a mid to low tier character
limit disappears after fifteen seconds, nair is smaller, dair has a lil more lag, can't fastfall upair grounded ppl and up air is more easily contestable, and lcs is weaker
not really that bad, considering he'll probably thrive off of movement options and bair might have even less landing, you can probably still nairplane people, plsu airdidge reads......eh, he's got most of his tools, he'll likely be fine. top tier, debatable, but still good and easily viable, yeah.
gotta remember this also isn't the final version
also I really hope they remove the utnechable on climhazzard

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
limit disappears after fifteen seconds, nair is smaller, dair has a lil more lag, can't fastfall upair grounded ppl and up air is more easily contestable, and lcs is weaker
not really that bad, considering he'll probably thrive off of movement options and bair might have even less landing, you can probably still nairplane people, plsu airdidge reads......eh, he's got most of his tools, he'll likely be fine. top tier, debatable, but still good and easily viable, yeah.
gotta remember this also isn't the final version
also I really hope they remove the utnechable on climhazzard
but there is recover with limit keeping gone his already terrible recovery will become nearly useless especially with magnet hands removed almost every character will be able to kill him after getting one grab and throwing him of stage

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
but there is recover with limit keeping gone his already terrible recovery will become nearly useless especially with magnet hands removed almost every character will be able to kill him after getting one grab and throwing him of stage
two jumps, climhazzard, directional airdodges apparently snap ledge, and he might still be able to wall jump
he's far from helpless offstage

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Despite Bayonetta getting nerfed. She still got some bs stuff, such as this 4 stock massacre.

Ness in Smash Ultimate seemed to have some changes.

For example, his infamous headbutt is replaced with peach's up air. Not that strong and great as the previous iteration but it is still pretty good. He has a new animation on PK Fire and PSI Magnet got a buffed as it now has a larger hitbox.

PK Thunder is pretty much the same but I think it was nerfed slightly, less tighter arc and its slightly slower to wind up to PK2. Still barely noticable. Oh yeah PKT can bounce.

His down throw combo is still there but it is harder to do because of its different angle.

B-Throw is still stupid strong as always.

He also seemed to have a new idle animation as well.

Overall, Ness is pretty good and may be viable but who knows...

Also, Fox is heavily nerfed in that game, FeelsBadMan..

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
They gave like everybody turnaround specials. Mewtwo, Roy, I think maybe even Zelda with her phantom.

Top Bottom