• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
If he's just considered a solid mid tier i feel it would make sense because of his rough results outside the big 3 DHes.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, looks like it's Duck Hunt's time to get hyped.

Let's hope it's not just hype, like Dr. Mario.

Anyone have a recording of the set?

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
Raffi-X just went last hit with MKLeo, and very well could've won if he hadn't gotten shieldbroken/dropped setups. I may have to rethink my own character a bit

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Sooooo DHD is going to be the overhyped flavour of this month, due to one managing to make top 32 due to Zero SDing twice. With loads of people going "z0mg I always knew he was mid tier" while ignoring the fact that 2/3 DHDs didn't get particularly far and the last one got extreme luck on their side.

Lovely

Megamang

Smash Lord
His setups are cool, and characters with tons of hitboxes all over still have optimization to do, it isnt unreasonable to think theyll keep improving.

For example, Megaman can FH Zdrop MB, into fastfall ledge trump. Hit the trump and bair kills, they stand up or GUA, blade knocks them into bair.

DHD is a better flavor of the month than Bowser, is what im getting at :p

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Whilst DHD is in the spotlight, who do you guys think are best frame-trappers in the game? Or at least whose metas revolve around it the most.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Whilst DHD is in the spotlight, who do you guys think are best frame-trappers in the game? Or at least whose metas revolve around it the most.
Roy and Fox, I feel, are really good at frame trapping thanks to their low FAF grounded moves and low landing / autocancels as well as their high grounded speed.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Elegant just gave Salem the stare. 2-0 victory
pretty safe to call that a losing mu. idk what bayo is supposed to do. cant escape luigi combs, luigi punishes landing lag hard with up b, and nair escapes combos, and lluigi can edgaurd bayo which is few in company.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
reddit blowing up over dlcpocalypse even though Zack is the only Bayo that consistently did well and Cloud isn't doing any better than he generally does

please help me

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Despite all the Low tier upsets I think we can all agree that:4bayonetta::4cloud: are the most Anti-Mid/Low characters in the game right now. :4duckhunt::4villager::4pacman::4yoshi::4wario: :4lucario:Even with some of these guys (Pac and DH) having a good/Amazing preformace at G4. :4bayonetta::4cloud: Seem to be the ultimate Gatekeepers for Mid-Low tiers

All the DH (except for Raito) where either Send to losers or eliminated by :4bayonetta::4cloud:.

Also Bayo's seem to get more lamer every tourney. ZeRo vs Salem and Dabuz vs Komo where disgusting.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
So, I retain the viewpoint that You3 is the best Duck Hunt. He had a fantastic overseas performance overall, getting 2nd/3rd at the pre-G4 weeklies, including a handy set win on Ito, and played very closely with MKLeo. Brood has the set wins, but those were largely on the back of being incredibly lucky against both ZeRo and Zinoto with the former SDing and the latter hitting the platform.

Both got run over by Bayonetta, though. Child & 9B > Brood and Salem beat You3. Raito got beat by Raffi-X and You3, matching his EVO record (49th).

While nothing happened that strikes me as meta-defining, I'd say it put Duck Hunt comfortably in lower-mid.

Fenny

Smash Ace
G4 has me all up in my feelings in general

Never seen so many players be that discouraged all at once like that

It's like a tourney of watching nothing but Nietono lose

Last edited:

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
This tournament shows once and for all that DH is just a solid character when it comes to his overall kit. If only a few of his moves just packed more of a punch to seal the deal he may be at most low high tier or high mid.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
So, I retain the viewpoint that You3 is the best Duck Hunt.
You3 > Brood > Raito has been the established ranking order for japanese Duck Hunt players for quite a while now so you're certainly not alone with your viewpoint.

:059:

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Despite all the Low tier upsets I think we can all agree that:4bayonetta::4cloud: are the most Anti-Mid/Low characters in the game right now. :4duckhunt::4villager::4pacman::4yoshi::4wario: :4lucario:Even with some of these guys (Pac and DH) having a good/Amazing preformace at G4. :4bayonetta::4cloud: Seem to be the ultimate Gatekeepers for Mid-Low tiers

All the DH (except for Raito) where either Send to losers or eliminated by :4bayonetta::4cloud:.

Also Bayo's seem to get more lamer every tourney. ZeRo vs Salem and Dabuz vs Komo where disgusting.
dabuz just plays that way and salem is trying to adjust his playstyle as his results havent been what they used to be lately. but the most aggro bayo (zach) did the best today. just shows a year later shes still practically a blank slate. no one truly knows for certain what the best way to play her is.
bayo snd cloud are really the guards to viability both as a player and a character.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Can we talk about Mega Man? I feel like it's been forever since Kameme made an international top 8. While he does do well in Japan, I can't figure out why he got 2nd and EVO and then hasn't top 8'ed again (Just checked) until Smashdown world. Outside of that, that's really it. Did Mega Man get figured out, or was it the surprise factor that pushed Kameme to the silver medal?

Additionally, while there definitely are other Megas, none of them get exceptional results either. ScAtt isn't exactly a picture of consistency and the other megas haven't done anything notable.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
There is no ranking of the DH players. They all play differently and achieve similar levels of results. In my experience, if you ask DH players who the best DH player is, they will always say "all three".

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Can we talk about Mega Man? I feel like it's been forever since Kameme made an international top 8. While he does do well in Japan, I can't figure out why he got 2nd and EVO and then hasn't top 8'ed again (Just checked) until Smashdown world. Outside of that, that's really it. Did Mega Man get figured out, or was it the surprise factor that pushed Kameme to the silver medal?

Additionally, while there definitely are other Megas, none of them get exceptional results either. ScAtt isn't exactly a picture of consistency and the other megas haven't done anything notable.
I think people have really just learned to fear the footstool metal blade combos, and so are staying the **** out from beneath him.

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
While he does do well in Japan, I can't figure out why he got 2nd and EVO and then hasn't top 8'ed again (Just checked) until Smashdown world.
Did Mega Man get figured out,
the surprise factor
You've answered your own question.

None of the top 15 had played a really good Mega Man on the level of Kameme before EVO. Then EVO ended and they labbed the match up, with a focus on certain key things they saw while fighting Kameme:
1. Don't be below him when he has a metal blade.
2. Find ways through lemons (Diddys started using rocket barrels)
3. Don't get hit by the early kill confirms and you won't die anytime soon. (dying at 70 vs dying at 180)
3.5. Don't get Shoryu'd

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
What players/characters has Kameme been losing to while using MM?
Since EVO, and ignoring non-major Japanese tournaments:

Umebura SAT: Dabuz/Nairo
The Little Big house 2: Salem, Rich Brown
TBH6: Marss/Salem
Smashdown: Gluttony/Anti
UGC: M. R/Ally
Zero Saga: Fatality/Anti
Smash of the Titans 15: Xzax/9B

3: :4mario::4bayonetta:
2: :4zss:
1: :rosalina::4sheik::4wario::4falcon::4mewtwo::4fox:

Adding in the Japanese tournaments:
4: :4bayonetta::4mario:
3:
2: :4zss::4mewtwo:
1: :4greninja::4cloud::4olimar::4sonic::rosalina::4sheik::4wario::4falcon::4fox:

Basically a bunch of assorted good players and top tiers. He seems to lose to Mario and Bayonetta quite often, though.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
But he also has a couple of notable wins against Bayonetta. Mario's the one he really can't seem to deal with at all though between Kame losing to Xzax and Scatt losing to Larry the Fox matchup also is turning out to be worse than some people, including myself, have initially suspected.

:059:

Megamang

Smash Lord
I find Mario not that bad. Keeping him out as a gameplan isnt a bad plan; those tend to be his problem. Fair/bair keep him out decently, nair too. He is susceptible to reasonably timed bair kills too.

Fox... fox is suffering

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Since EVO, and ignoring non-major Japanese tournaments:

Umebura SAT: Dabuz/Nairo
The Little Big house 2: Salem, Rich Brown
TBH6: Marss/Salem
Smashdown: Gluttony/Anti
UGC: M. R/Ally
Zero Saga: Fatality/Anti
Smash of the Titans 15: Xzax/9B

3: :4mario::4bayonetta:
2: :4zss:
1: :rosalina::4sheik::4wario::4falcon::4mewtwo::4fox:

Adding in the Japanese tournaments:
4: :4bayonetta::4mario:
3:
2: :4zss::4mewtwo:
1: :4greninja::4cloud::4olimar::4sonic::rosalina::4sheik::4wario::4falcon::4fox:

Basically a bunch of assorted good players and top tiers. He seems to lose to Mario and Bayonetta quite often, though.
Thanks

Assuming that he went solo MM in all of these sets it seems like most of his problems stem from the top tiers like 95% of the roster

I put him in the same boat as MK and Tink. He's really good but the top tiers keep him at bay

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Thanks

Assuming that he went solo MM in all of these sets it seems like most of his problems stem from the top tiers like 95% of the roster

I put him in the same boat as MK and Tink. He's really good but the top tiers keep him at bay
Mostly solo MM, with Yoshi at times and Sheik in some of the Japanese tournaments.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Mega doesnt even hate the Tippy top that much. A Diddy/Cloud/Shiek bracket is better for him than the right-below-top of Fox/m2/Mario/(lucario imo) bracket.

Bayo too, but idk whether to call her top 3 or barely top 10, its weird. She needs to win something big to be a shoe-in IMO, and top players dont get roof'd much at all anymore.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Genesis 0.9 (NorCal) (1012 Entrants)

1st: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth:
2nd: Ally :4mario:
3rd: ZeRo :4diddy: :4cloud2:
4th: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2: ( :4wiifitm: :4peach: )
5th: Mr. R :4sheik:
5th: Abadango :4mewtwo:
7th: Dabuz :rosalina:
7th: Komorikiri :4cloud2: :4sonic:
9th: ANTi :4mario: :4cloud2:
9th: Ranai :4villager:
9th: Tweek :4cloud2: :4dk:
9th: VoiD :4sheik:
13th: Elegant :4luigi:
13th: ESAM :4pikachu: :4mewtwo:
13th: Larry Lurr :4fox:
13th: 9B :4bayonetta2:

~~~~~

17th: Marss :4zss:
17th: Fatality :4falcon:
17th: Nairo :4zss: :4bowser:
17th: Chag :4bayonetta2:
17th: MVD :4diddy:
17th: Child :4bayonetta2:
17th: Rich Brown :4mewtwo:
17th: NAKAT :4fox: :4lucina:
25th: Kameme :4megaman:
25th: Locus :4ryu:
25th: Salem :4bayonetta2:
25th: Earth :4pit:
25th: K9sbruce :4sheik: :4diddy:
25th: Javi :4cloud2: :4sheik:
25th: Brood :4duckhunt:
25th: AeroLink :4bayonetta2:

Das Koopa Das Koopa

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
Genesis 0.9 (NorCal) (1012 Entrants)

1st: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth:
2nd: Ally :4mario:
3rd: ZeRo :4diddy: :4cloud2:
4th: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2: ( :4wiifitm: :4peach: )
5th: Mr. R :4sheik:
5th: Abadango :4mewtwo:
7th: Dabuz :rosalina:
7th: Komorikiri :4cloud2: :4sonic:
9th: ANTi :4mario: :4cloud2:
9th: Ranai :4villager:
9th: Tweek :4cloud2: :4dk:
9th: VoiD :4sheik:
13th: Elegant :4luigi:
13th: ESAM :4pikachu: :4mewtwo:
13th: Larry Lurr :4fox:
13th: 9B :4bayonetta2:

~~~~~

17th: Marss :4zss:
17th: Fatality :4falcon:
17th: Nairo :4zss: :4bowser:
17th: Chag :4bayonetta2:
17th: MVD :4diddy:
17th: Child :4bayonetta2:
17th: Rich Brown :4mewtwo:
17th: NAKAT :4fox: :4lucina:
25th: Kameme :4megaman:
25th: Locus :4ryu:
25th: Salem :4bayonetta2:
25th: Earth :4pit:
25th: K9sbruce :4sheik: :4diddy:
25th: Javi :4cloud2: :4sheik:
25th: Brood :4duckhunt:
25th: AeroLink :4bayonetta2:

Das Koopa Das Koopa
Another Marth win (unsure of how much Leo used Cloud, I only managed to catch the sets for top 5) and through winners side to boot!

Also, curious as to how much Nakat used Lucina. Definitely the first we've really seen of her outside of 'random' (for lack of a better term because it's not random) Nairo counterpicks.

What I'm seeing as winners and losers of today's results
Winners:
Marth, Bayonetta, Cloud, Duck Hunt, Luigi, and Villager
13th and 25th for Luigi and Duck Hunt respectively is pretty solid!

Losers:
ZSS (none in top 16!), and some lower placings from Fox and Sheik. VoiD out at 9th despite how well he's been doing lately came as a bit of a surprise.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I decided to comprise on the points issue and compensate Dabuz/Komo by increasing their character's point share by 50%.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Another Marth win (unsure of how much Leo used Cloud, I only managed to catch the sets for top 5) and through winners side to boot.

Also, curious as to how much Nakat used Lucina.
Leo used mostly Cloud, hence why I did :4cloud2: :4marth: instead of what I'd usually do, :4marth: :4cloud2:

NAKAT used Lucina against VoiD and ANTi and scored two games against both of them.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Looking at Ally vs MKLeo I'm thinking the MU sucks for Mario. But what could Ally have done differently? If Ally actually bothered to learn some movement techniques like perfect pivoting, foxtrotting, dash pivot cancelling and doing that thing where you dash forward then return the stick to neutral and tap forward again followed by tapping backward in order to instantly dash in the other direction?

I'm thinking it could've helped him bait stuff out and would've made him less vulnerable on the ground.

On the other hand I think the matchup just seems hopeless. Mario has to make himself vulnerable to Marths offense in order to get in at all. Last game made this pretty obvious when Leo switched it up a bit. Mario also struggles to land. Ally got out of a lot bad situations by being the more clever player, I think he made the MU look more even than it is. It is also known that MKLeo does not like fighting Ally, finding his playstyle weird.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
It really sucks that the one time Bayonetta accomplishes a great placing at a major outside controversy just so happened to take place. Even then Zack is super good and all the Bayonettas in the tournament got top 32.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Zack still took Mr. R to game 5 and beat Aba & ANTi. Definitely a good look for his future.

Hopefully Komo recovers. I don't see him attending G5 though, he deleted all his tweets from the last month and didn't attend the awards ceremony. He's gone full M2K about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom