• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 4BR Social

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Strongly agree on 3 stocks. NS has been running it since the game launched. Way better than 2.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I'm fine with 3 stocks, but I do prefer 2 stocks; I like the pacing of it better.

If it actually happened, a lot of people would be incredibly happy for the addition. What's your idea for her moveset?

I just want more Fire Emblem characters but I'm biased~
I really don't have much of an idea for her moveset. Maybe she would have moves like the Panther Within, Bat Within, and Crow Within for her specials. Maybe she could get a speed/power boost for dodging an attack at the last moment (witch time), but that pretty much sounds overpowered. lol

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I have played 2 stock for a year in Japan and I have been playing 3 stock since I came back to Netherlands.

I definitely prefer 3 stock, but I can live with 2 stock as well.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
BAYONETTA THOUGH <3

M@v

Subarashii!
Yo... Cloud is... not that good...
There's things I think he's amazing at. Great kill power. Autocancel nairs and bairs. Long range. Strong AND fast.

Then he tries to recover.

And that's probably his stock. His upb is essentially ripped straight from swordsman. Its awful with him, and awful with cloud. He can't sweetspot with upb. And you see how well that works out for Little Mac...

Also he doesn't seem to have an extensive combo game.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
The mediocre frame data and recovery is pretty hard to work around. Even worse, his throws are hot garbage. Characters like Fox have that same issue but Cloud doesn't have a neutral game as solid and safe as Fox's to make up for it; Cloud instead has Shulk's neutral game and Shulk's frame data. I still think he's solid but he has to work harder than most high tiers.

In doubles however, I think Cloud's a monster. His mobility, area coverage, damage output, Limit Break Side-B, & Finishing Touch are all extremely solid for a doubles. His negatives on-stage can all be made-up for when paired with a zone-breaking character like Sheik or Sonic. And team combos into Finishing Touch are going to be the real deal. Like seriously, just imagine getting grabbed by Sheik then you're dead at 50% because Cloud was there. Nasty.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I see some 3 stock discussion has already taken place. I think it would be a really cool idea for us to release something that shows what the S4BR thinks in terms of 2 stock or 3 stock. Perhaps a poll that we release? There are a lot of top level players in this room, and an equal amount of well known high level players, so I am sure the public would love to see what we think individually as well as collectively. I know the mission statement said we weren't going to tackle rulesets, but I feel like this is a discussion we should be actively involved in.

I for one heavily agree with 3 stock, idk bout the rest of you.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
2 stock and 3 stock are both perfectly fine formats with strong arguments to support each one, but I personally haven't played 3 stock enough to say I favor it more.

:093:

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Alphicans Alphicans : SmashEurope's global poll on stock count will close tomorrow at over 4000 votes. We will follow up on it during or after Christmas with our findings. I believe we covered our bases in spreading it around to the scene at large, though there are some limitations to this format. It should be able to answer some questions and provide much needed data for the discussion. We will be able to filter for the preferences of players, spectators, TOs etc.

My biggest issue with 2 stocks is that it was snuck in without consulting the community, while many regions have no issues running 3 stocks events (AKA more bang for your buck). Claims about viewership have no basis and anecdotal evidence means very little. I will concur that 2 stocks obviously gets by as a format and isn't some inconsistent crapshoot, but 3 stocks is still going to be more consistent by virtue of determining skill through a larger sample of playtime.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Man, this has really taken over Twitter.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
This and the Genesis 3 Seeding stuff.

It's kind of crazy.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Correct me if I'm wrong but apparently there is a secret Smash 4 group on FB of top players and TOs. I'm not sure if any of you in it, and I don't really care. However I do wonder if it will affect what the Backroom does. I ask because I'm not 100% familiar with how this group functions or has in the past, and if the G3 TOs interacted with that group does that mean they're less likely to listen to what we put out?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I see some people (who are apparently in the group) stating that it is not meant as a backroom, but as a discussion group for TOs and other people, including a handful of top players. The G3 TOs decided to do the seeding free ride thing on their own according to statements (and have promptly bailed on it for Smash 4 following backlash).

I don't really care about said group, I'm not a part of it and I doubt it will affect what we do in the 4BR; we're a group that acknowledges our existence, has clearly defined goals, structurally sound plans, and acts as an actual body of leadership. We have transparency while also keeping the actual discussion behind closed doors, and we're doing good so far.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The top 32 idea was so bad for so many reasons. Or, at least, just horribly implemented.

I do agree with what Liberation said, though. I don't think this Facebook Illuminati impedes on the 4BR.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The worst thing to ever come from that room was a ban-all-mii response knee jerked around evo. It didn't actually go anywhere or officially do anything though.
What started as an attempt to come together to create a shared ruleset quickly seemed out of reach (duh).

So it's just a facebook group where anyone in it can invite any other, of "respectable" people.
It discusses things much like you would expect a traditional "backroom" to, but without any expectations and has done well thus far for just a group of people.

At most some of us have been privy to ideas and considerations well before announcements, but no power or process has ever existed there.
It's been treated as a scapegoat over this top 32 crap when it was a heavy scheduling consideration made well before it was ever brought up there. The follow up of "who should be these 32 seeds" was much of the same stuff that would happen no matter the situation (trusted TOs of regions giving input / finding out who else should be asked for input and top players complaining).
The only difference here is that people want an enemy or something to blame, and there are two (at least, from what I've seen) people from there going out of there way to toot the apocalypse siren.
How events are seeded will always be a quintessential issue until someone figures out a "fair" solution. That or the grassroots of our scene completely die and big corporations do all these things for us with zero recourse, a path we've surely starting sailing down.

A lot of heads are coming together for 2v3 stocks but it's only been a settled on place for the discussion.

When politics comes before reality and people working for the community's benefit. When the ignorant twitter/etc backlash forces things to take two steps back rather than forward.

We're going to deal with the exact same things if we ever step towards governess in the 4BR.
The narrative will demand dramatic irony if we let it.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Answer me this, did some people get in the group due to their popularity in the scene?
Probably?
I have little impact on tournaments across the world and I'm in there~

But as the group serves little more than a slightly less private relaying of messages/thoughts on various things pertaining to TOing, I doubt it's membership criteria matters.

D1 made the group and gave it's members a lot of freedom; anyone already in there who feels someone else should be are free to add them. Directly contacting more pivotal members of it about gaining access with merit would rarely find rejection.

There is seemingly a lot of respect riding within said group. A part of it has to do with the name that's attached to it. But also because it's been housing good things with little real negative impacts stemming from it.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Hello! Three announcements for today.

First, the deadline for the 4BR First Official Tier List voting is approaching; while it may be delayed, it also may not. It ends on January 4th, so if you haven't voted, do so here.

Second off, I'm finishing up the next State of Smash 4 for December and would like to see if anyone wanted to write a reflection on one of the covered events; I know I got no responses for last time, but it's worth a shot.

This month's covered events include:
  • KTAR XV
  • Sumabato NicoNico Qualifiers (though none of you likely went to this)
  • TGC 5
Please provide a 300-500 character statement on your experience in this tournament. I want to publish November's edition on Thursday, January 7th in the evening, so if you could respond in due time, it would be much appreciated.

In addition, I wanted to pool interest for a future potential 4BR Article for the front page back here. I know a lot of you are heading to Genesis 3: As a result, I wanted to see if any of you would like to help with providing your own experience at Genesis 3 for Smash 4. Not all the details are concrete, but I figured I might as well ask.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Yeah I put my vote in but I need to tinker with it for the rest of the night til I figure out where I feel comfortable leaving it.

M@v

Subarashii!
In addition, I wanted to pool interest for a future potential 4BR Article for the front page back here. I know a lot of you are heading to Genesis 3: As a result, I wanted to see if any of you would like to help with providing your own experience at Genesis 3 for Smash 4. Not all the details are concrete, but I figured I might as well ask.
I'll be at G3 and I'd be down to help

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
First, the deadline for the 4BR First Official Tier List voting is approaching; while it may be delayed, it also may not. It ends on January 4th, so if you haven't voted, do so here.
So once it's done we all argue back and forth between the lists presented?

Not sure if I'm going to vote myself as I don't think I'm qualified enough to give a reasonable list beyond Sheik being #1. I would think I'm the most casual person here who somehow got an invite...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I will be at KTAR.

Also, voting for the tier list has been extended to post-Genesis.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I will be at KTAR.

Also, voting for the tier list has been extended to post-Genesis.

As in you were at KTAR XV, which happened in early December? Or as in KTAR XVI, which is happening this weekend? (I'll probably be covering that in January, too.)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
As in you were at KTAR XV, which happened in early December? Or as in KTAR XVI, which is happening this weekend? (I'll probably be covering that in January, too.)
Oh, I meant as in the one this weekend. I misread what you meant in your post (I see now that you covered the previous one, but for some reason I lumped it with the next KTAR being an event you would cover along with Genesis).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm at Kumite in Tennessee. Not nearly as many people as last time, which is a shame. I'll still try to show some new Wario stuff and perhaps let my Mewtwo work here and there.

EDIT: More people than I thought. Pretty alright; ~80 entrants. :)

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Smash 4 at Genesis 3 has ended, and as such I'd like to put this idea into the forefront because I want to see it happen.

Also of note, since G3 is ending, that means the voting will also likely follow suit.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Oh boy.

Whatever happens, I want us to keep it civil back here with discussion, regardless of how we stand on this issue as members.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
What are you referring to exactly?
Smash 4's ruleset at EVO will be decided by what appears to be a "community vote" when it comes to customs and Miis and what not.

Since it was just announced, not all the details are set in stone.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Smash 4's ruleset at EVO will be decided by what appears to be a "community vote" when it comes to customs and Miis and what not.

Since it was just announced, not all the details are set in stone.
Gotcha. I hope wiimotes will be allowed. Being unable to enter last year sucked.

Top Bottom