• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3rd Holo-Dek SSBB tournament - Kittery, ME - July 19th - NOT A BENEFIT TOURNAMENT :D

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
(Big picture to come soon)

What:​
It's another singles and doubles Brawl tournament hosted by the all mighty Holo-Dek gaming theater.

What's Different From Last Time:​

- IT IS NOT A BENEFIT TOURNAMENT which means it'll be cheaper for you
- Seeding for doubles WILL happen
- Probably not doing a Melee tournament this time
- Anything else brought to our attention between now and then

Where:​

The Holo-Dek gaming theater in Kittery, ME has once again let us use their amazing facility for this event. This rocks. Holo-Dek features many HD projectors, 6 Wii consoles, tons of other consoles, private suites complete with larger HD projectors, a couch and surround sound. Also available are high performance computers connected for LAN play.

- Address:
HoloDek Gaming Center
506 US Rte. 1
Kittery ME, 03904
(207) 439-4275
www.holo-dek.com

This is only an hour or so north of Boston!

When:

July 19th, 2009 (It's a Sunday)
2pm (Doors at noon)

How much?​

If you just want to play the tournament: $5
If you want an all day pass(to play before and after) to Holo-dek: $10 (Reeeallly good deal. They're normally $25)

Singles: $10
Doubles $20 a team

Prizes:​
As noted above, the prize is going to be a cash prize divided between the top three players (60/30/10). Same for doubles
Again, it is definitely going to be more than just Smash Boards and AiB people coming.

Please RVSP?​

on Aib:
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=6512

Or here.

Thanks

Rules:​
(They're just the Smash boards rules)

General rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages:

Starter:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter:
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Corneria

Banned:
Pipes
Green Hill Zone
Pictochat
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.

The semi-final and championship sets will be in a best of 5 format.

Life stealing is allowed for doubles, and team attack must be "on".

About me:​
My name is Irving Gadoury, and I've organized two tournaments at holo-dek before that were benefit tournaments. This time, they're just plain tournaments. Woot.

Let me know if you have any questions/suggestions!

Hoser

Smash Ace
Sick, I'll be there this time. btw, have you ever looked into having a brawl + side tourney or something? I know like 3-5 people who would be interested in that.

btw, the 19th of July is a Sunday, not Saturday.

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
Sick, I'll be there this time. btw, have you ever looked into having a brawl + side tourney or something? I know like 3-5 people who would be interested in that.

btw, the 19th of July is a Sunday, not Saturday.
Gah thank you.

What kind of side tourney? We were thinking about doing that with Brawl with Melee on the side but it didn't really work out last time.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
Are you SERIOUS? My internet friend Anna is supposed to be visiting then...

I'll see what I can't do.

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
Are you SERIOUS? My internet friend Anna is supposed to be visiting then...

I'll see what I can't do.
Get her down here to see your "e-muscles" ;)

By the way, HoloDek approves this post! :)

and....

What kind of side tourney would you like?

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
i should be at this one with toil. Is there room for extra setups?

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
i should be at this one with toil. Is there room for extra setups?
We actually need Wiis, I forgot to mention that. Just because the ones at holo-dek don't have everything unlocked. I'll be bringing mine, my friend can bring one other one, I just need some more if possible.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, they need to fix that problem. Would it be possible to arrange a time in the morning or the previous day for tournament players to come in and unlock everything like the pros they are?

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
Ugh, they need to fix that problem. Would it be possible to arrange a time in the morning or the previous day for tournament players to come in and unlock everything like the pros they are?
Ah, it's really no big deal. Last time We just have people bring Wiis that have everything unlocked, and we just hook them up to holo-dek's cables that are ready to go through the projectors.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
Having people bring Wiis has pro's and con's. Pro's include being able to record matches and not having to pay to get into the Holodek to make the tournament easier. Con's include the risk of getting stolen or forgetting your Wii, your stuff getting broken, and a lot of little inconveniences.

So eh. :p It's iffy.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah. For those people in need of transportation from out of state, there's a train station in Wells, and I live in Wells. So if you need a ride, it's not out of the question that I'd be able to help.

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
Having people bring Wiis has pro's and con's. Pro's include being able to record matches and not having to pay to get into the Holodek to make the tournament easier. Con's include the risk of getting stolen or forgetting your Wii, your stuff getting broken, and a lot of little inconveniences.

So eh. :p It's iffy.
It's not too much of a hassle, we take care of the stuff there and there's pretty much no chance of it being stolen. No one has to take the cords, the bar or anything, just the console, and wii-mote. It's kept track of too.
idk about getting in free if you bring a console, but I'll think of something.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
By the way, my friend Anna can't come after all... So there's no way I'm missing this.

Prawn

Smash Master
I might go, I will bring a setup if I do. The only problem is I'll need a ride on this weekend, WILLING TO PAY GAS MONEY FOR RIDE FROM SOMEONE.

Haggs? Fatal? Icy if you are considering driving up you can swing through Mass and get me :D

Get me on aim/through a PM/on here.

HYPE

EDIT: Zesu explain the train thing a little more in depth for people in massachusetts. I have no experience with out of state trains lol.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
Just take the amtrack to Wells station. Let me know first, though. I live in Wells, so I'll pick you up from the train station on the way to Kittery and drop you off at the train station on the way back.

I didn't know what station was closest to you, so I picked the Boston North Station. That's $38 round trip. Ideal times are leave Boston at 11:10 AM, get to Wells at 12:56 PM, then leaving Wells at 8:39 PM and getting back to Boston at 10:25. Here's the link.

http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtra...ren=0&_infants=0&_searchBy=schedule&x=16&y=20

Prawn

Smash Master
Just take the amtrack to Wells station. Let me know first, though. I live in Wells, so I'll pick you up from the train station on the way to Kittery and drop you off at the train station on the way back.

I didn't know what station was closest to you, so I picked the Boston North Station. That's $38 round trip. Ideal times are leave Boston at 11:10 AM, get to Wells at 12:56 PM, then leaving Wells at 8:39 PM and getting back to Boston at 10:25. Here's the link.

http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtra...ren=0&_infants=0&_searchBy=schedule&x=16&y=20
ill let you know

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
I'll keep my eyes on the thread. But just so you know, I need to know at least a day in advance.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
I remember once, these annoying kids at my school were going around talking about how they were amazing at Brawl. I looked between them and said "I bet you anything that in a team match, you two versus me and anyone else, that my team would win." They chose my six year old brother as my team mate.

I let my little brother get the last kill, because I'm a good big brother like that.

Edit: I feel that it's important to note that they were Marth and Sonic. My brother was Lucario. I was Game and Watch. :p I was GOING to be Jiggly, but they insisted that I go all out.

Edit again: I also feel it's important to note that they were just bad. I'm not amazing. And my little brother, despite his age, qualifies as an average casual player.

Prawn

Smash Master
Train is not gonna work out

can I has ride someone?

pwease? I live like right on 495 lol

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
One week since you looked at me... Cocked your head to the side and said "I'm angry"... Five days since you laughed at me saying "Get that together, come back and see me." :3

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
Tourney is a few days away! Remember that this is not a benefit tournament so entrance fees will be $5 cheaper!! Get ready for some brawlin'. See you all there!

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Do you have room for full setups (tv and wiis) or do you use just the projectors.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
Fuzzy pickles! :D

Edit:
Oh, so looking back, I realized something. Cambriel was talking about Brawl +, not Brawl and something. I don't really know anything about it, just that it's a hacked version of Brawl where there's no tripping and there's a bunch of new things for the characters... Ask someone familiar with it, though.
Didn't wanna double post.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Brawl + has no tripping and has messed around with hit stun and what not to make lots of combos possible and i believe to include things like wave dashing to increase the speed of the game.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
I think I'll stick with standard Brawl, personally. Unless Brawl + added either Bomberman, Megaman or Lip to the cast. Or one of the EBA or Ouendan. Or made Little Mac playable... Or brought the parasol back as an item (I'm totally aware that standard play is item free. But I loved that parasol... And I'd do anything to get it back.)

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
I don't think there is room for a full setup, but the projectors there don't lag at all, and work great.

See you guys soon.

EDIT: Bringing your wii would be awesome if you could. You don't even need the cords or game, just the wii and wiimote

Top Bottom