• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS SSB does not support Circle Pad Pro

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Not gonna lie, this is a blow to the hype I had for the game. I'm still going to get the game, of course, but I had been planning on getting a CPP. Now I guess I'll just settle for a controller grip until we get the N3DS in like a year from now. :/

And yeah, I was watching that direct live. Iwata was definitely talking about using the C-stick for Smash attacks, so this confuses me even more. I doubt Smash uses up so much power that the CPP becomes unusable, it sounds completely arbitrary to me.

For the record, though, I was planning on getting the N3DS eventually anyways, for other reasons. Smash Bros wasn't really a factor until now.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
As I'm not an idiot that's overreacting to literally anything I hear, this doesn't really bother me. The C stick would've been nice, sure, but I can definitely adapt. The fact is that I was banking on custom controls letting me use the directional keys in the DS to do C stick stuff. I wasn't going to pay 20 dollars for one button, I sure as hell am not paying 200 dollars for one button, and I'm probably still gonna enjoy Smash a ton.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
As I'm not an idiot that's overreacting to literally anything I hear, this doesn't really bother me. The C stick would've been nice, sure, but I can definitely adapt. The fact is that I was banking on custom controls letting me use the directional keys in the DS to do C stick stuff. I wasn't going to pay 20 dollars for one button, I sure as hell am not paying 200 dollars for one button, and I'm probably still gonna enjoy Smash a ton.
Do you have a 3DS or an XL? The CPP doesn't just have "one button", it adds two comfortably located shoulder buttons too.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Soooo, apparently the Circle Pad Pro isn't compatible with smash 3DS because the CPP uses the same port as the Amiibo Figure Base scanner thingamajig.
Chalk up another point against Amiibos I guess.

Last edited:

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
Soooo, apparently the Circle Pad Pro isn't compatible with smash 3DS because the CPP uses the same port as the Amiibo Figure Base scanner thingamajig.
WOW...just effing wow Nintendo...

Last edited:

xTeru

Smash Cadet
So you'd rather have the game run at 30FPS with a C-Stick? I really don't see how Nintendo's forcing you to do anything at all, not interested in the revision? Don't buy it, and maybe if they hear enough fan backlash, they'll probably find a way to patch in the CCP, look at Mario Kart 8, the Mercedes Benz patch fixed a lot of the gripes that people had with the game.

You're basically staying away from a product you were going to enjoy anyway because...?
Sure I would enjoy it for a bit but it will collect dust once the Wii U version comes out, at least for me soooo

EpicPowered

Smash Cadet
CPU I'd guess. That's just what Sakurai said: That he couldn't make the CPP work because the game maxed out the system. We were lucky to have CPP support at all.
Source please? I can't find it. I think if he said that, it would be a load of crap. I don't think it's so difficult on the CPU to add an extra input.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
And there goes some of my enthusiasm. They are making a feature exclusive to the NEW 3DS when it is still almost a year to launch? The exclusion of CPP is not a a good move, it is an accessory made by Nintendo themselves, they shouldn't just ditch it like that!

Plus it is almost like they are forcing people to get a NEW 3DS to enjoy a C-stick. And here I was thinking that my CPP would function as an awesome C-stick for Smash...

Last edited:

SupremeSuperiorStick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sohaii
Is that true? Wow Nintendo that just sucks. Like with Brawl they had support for multiple different controllers and I'm sure so will Smash U, so it's weird how the 3Ds doesn't have support for something that it should.

Bortverde

Smash Cadet
I hope it will be possible to map quick smashes to d-pad, taunts are useless anyway

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
**** you, Nintendo. **** you.

I say this wholeheartedly and emphatically. I appreciate the effort put into the game. I appreciate that we're even getting it. I'm sure I will love the game and play it regardless of my ability to use this stupid goddamned peripheral. But seriously. ****. You.

I was excited about the peripheral. It makes the portable console you built feel much more comfortable in my big hands. It felt fantastic on Resident Evil Revelations. And I only bought it because you outright told us that you didn't have plans to add another circle pad to new hardware, then released the 3DS XL and the 2DS without a second circle pad.

Now, despite your biggest game of the year supporting a second pad on your newly announced console that the West won't see until some undetermined and very vague release window, you skip the peripheral you already sold me. The one I specifically held onto in hopes of using it in Smash Bros.

****. You. Nintendo. I still love you, but **** you.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It is easy. You share all the details about the glitch to everyone or you keep your damn mouth shut about the glitch. Quit leading people on about it then saying "I can't give out details". Got it?

And leading people on is "not having anything good to say". So say something good or say nothing at all.
Doesn't really matter what I say right now since some jerkwad is holding the info above our heads. He could reveal it any time now.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I don't think I understand...
Me neither. I mean, they could just make it compatible with the Circle Pad Pro and then you'd just have to play without it when ya wanted to play with Amiibos. Then again they could've and should've made the whole Amiibo thing a built in part of the game.
But seriously, how would anyone effectively use the second circle pad as an effective c-stick? The second row of triggers is nice, but I think I can get used to having L as the grab button.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Granted it's a **** move, but here's how I look at it.

3DS is for practice anyway. The Wii U version is for competition.

Senario

Smash Ace
Gotta sell some of dem new 3ds systems lol. Honestly cant see why this isnt in. C stick has been a staple of smash since melee and CPP just made sense (also feels better to hold than a regular 3ds). It would give you more of a reason to play on 3ds without worrying about your buttons eventually being a little unresponsive. Anybody who has used a gamecube controller for smash can attest to the fact that smash wears out controllers.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Gotta sell some of dem new 3ds systems lol. Honestly cant see why this isnt in. C stick has been a staple of smash since melee and CPP just made sense (also feels better to hold than a regular 3ds). It would give you more of a reason to play on 3ds without worrying about your buttons eventually being a little unresponsive. Anybody who has used a gamecube controller for smash can attest to the fact that smash wears out controllers.
Yup. It would have been so much better for the shoulder buttons as well!

I played tons of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate without a CPP and my R button has lost its "clickiness". Thank goodness I got a CPP before it went out altogether.

This is another bad move by Nintendo. Just hoping they reverse this stance of theirs towards the CPP.

Senario

Smash Ace
Yup. It would have been so much better for the shoulder buttons as well!

I played tons of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate without a CPP and my R button has lost its "clickiness". Thank goodness I got a CPP before it went out altogether.

This is another bad move by Nintendo. Just hoping they reverse this stance of theirs towards the CPP.
Yes, Monster hunter tends to do that. That is why I bought a CPP when I first got it on 3ds. Eventually I moved to wii U for online play but it is a good and fun game.

I mostly use Lance/Gunlance/Bow nowadays but when I started out I used Longsword.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
=( Well.... At least this means there wont be any equipment barrier between players and when SmashU does come out it's going to easier to convince people that it's superior for competition.

Last edited:

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
This has priced me out of playing on the 3DS (and possibly competitive smash as a whole). I was hoping to buy a used 3DS with the stick and mod it to record matches. Looks like this may not be viable strategy...

Tristan_win

Not dead.
This has priced me out of playing on the 3DS (and possibly competitive smash as a whole). I was hoping to buy a used 3DS with the stick and mod it to record matches. Looks like this may not be viable strategy...
That's sad to see but don't give up, you could start saving now and in a year or so buy a new 3ds or a wiiU with smash. The community will be here easily for the next 5+ years so you really don't need to rush.

Last edited:
**** you, Nintendo. **** you.

I say this wholeheartedly and emphatically. I appreciate the effort put into the game. I appreciate that we're even getting it. I'm sure I will love the game and play it regardless of my ability to use this stupid goddamned peripheral. But seriously. ****. You.

I was excited about the peripheral. It makes the portable console you built feel much more comfortable in my big hands. It felt fantastic on Resident Evil Revelations. And I only bought it because you outright told us that you didn't have plans to add another circle pad to new hardware, then released the 3DS XL and the 2DS without a second circle pad.

Now, despite your biggest game of the year supporting a second pad on your newly announced console that the West won't see until some undetermined and very vague release window, you skip the peripheral you already sold me. The one I specifically held onto in hopes of using it in Smash Bros.

****. You. Nintendo. I still love you, but **** you.
"You gotta buy the New 3DS suckers"

Meanwhile, I walk to a wall and bang my head on the wall repeatedly

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I have an idea! Learn how to manually input smash attacks. GENIUS!
Please at least try to know what you're talking about. I'll just repost EPF's post here.
You really don't get competitive smash, huh?

Let me break it down. Having a c-stick allows you to push the limits of your character while still being able to retain full mobility over the character, notably, the ability to freely use aerials while being able to move your character in any desired direction.

For example, a character like Marth or Ike can jump backwards and hit the c-stick forward to do a forward air while retreating backwards to zone. A character like Fox or Greninja can make greater use of their U-air during a short hop without accidentally double jumping. Captain Falcon can use backwards Uairs to either get a semi-spike on characters or link into other aerials like Bair, or land on the ground and set up a tilt or jab reset.

Mario can do stuff like SH Uair into Bair while still moving forward.

Not to mention characters will be able to fully utilize Pivot forward smashes without accidentally executing a forward tilt. Not only that, the additional triggers on the new 3DS means that players aren't torn between using only one button for shield and one for grab. A combination of these things means that the ones who have the new hardware have many more options than us.

You can jest about it, but the fact of the matter is for the duration of the smash 3DS scene, the ones with the new one will prosper.

Japan is going to ****ing wreck us.
I am heavily disappointed in this decision. Being able to map extra buttons and use the CPP was one of my most hype features for the 3ds, and the new 3ds isn't even coming until after the wii u version comes out. Why is Nintendo sealing this feature off until so much later? It's cheap and stupid of them.

Last edited:

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Please at least try to know what you're talking about. I'll just repost EPF's post here.

I am heavily disappointed in this decision. Being able to map extra buttons and use the CPP was one of my most hype features for the 3ds, and the new 3ds isn't even coming until after the wii u version comes out. Why is Nintendo sealing this feature off until so much later? It's cheap and stupid of them.
Hmm, I forgot about these...damn, been away from Smash too long. My apologies for the condescending remark. I've lost touch with competitive Smash.

Now that I think about it, sucks I have to lose out on potential techniques for not spending another $300, or however much the new 3DS costs. I'm definitely not buying the new 3DS. GG Nintendo.

But the double jumping problem, in which Fox/Greninja is mentioned, this is why I play with tap jump off, to avoid that problem. (Had it many times in Brawl with tap jump on)

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Hmm, I forgot about these...damn, been away from Smash too long. My apologies for the condescending remark. I've lost touch with competitive Smash.

Now that I think about it, sucks I have to lose out on potential techniques for not spending another $300, or however much the new 3DS costs. I'm definitely not buying the new 3DS. GG Nintendo.
That's fine, thank you for apology.

I hope the new 3ds costs less than 200$, but i'm sure it won't sell much regardless. Nintendo isn't Apple, after all.
But the double jumping problem, in which Fox/Greninja is mentioned, this is why I play with tap jump off, to avoid that problem. (Had it many times in Brawl with tap jump on)
I like using tap jump for certain characters, like meta knight who can jump and uair at basically the same time.
Different strokes for different folks.

I can't turn off tap jump. Been that way since Melee; I've always played with a default configuration so that I could just play at a moments notice.

Playing with Marth and Greninja is gonna be so annoying...

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yes, Monster hunter tends to do that. That is why I bought a CPP when I first got it on 3ds. Eventually I moved to wii U for online play but it is a good and fun game.

I mostly use Lance/Gunlance/Bow nowadays but when I started out I used Longsword.
Yea, I thought of buying it before but just didn't get the chance. I hit the 400 hour mark too soon :p Well atleast my R button is not completely gone, just soft now. I love the CPP.

I personally use the Longsword as my main, with Switch Axe, Dual blades as secondary melee weps. I have started using bow and light bowguns.

Back to discussion, this move still sucks.

Especially the extra ZL and ZR buttons I would have got, plus the "clicky" R button of the CPP. And the C-stick! Why is Nintendo estranging their 40 million 3DS userbase like this, making games exclusive to the NEW 3DS and then this move to not add CPP compatibility which would have been an affordable and great option for people unwilling to buy a brand new NEW 3DS? Plus people like us who already have the CPP.

Bad move Nintendo. Way to kill the hype for us CPP enthusiasts. Or to be enthusiasts.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I guess this is indirectly getting into some competitive players' pockets if they really want to take it more seriously. However, I know from day one I won't take it too seriously if Nintendo or Sakurai make huge mistakes like this. Ironically, this is slowly feeling like the first game without the C-stick, so I don't mind a familiar handicap. Besides, people like D-iara would love this.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
So what? Big deal you can always do smash attacks by hitting the stick and a, what's the big deal.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
So what? Big deal you can always do smash attacks by hitting the stick and a, what's the big deal.
I wonder if some of these people have played any Smash Bros. game...

C-Stick allows you to perform a Smash quicker. It also helps to avoid fast-falling when Dairing. Some techniques require a very quick smash/aerial, so leaving the left stick untouched is better.

Let's suppose you are running with :4falcon:. It's very used to make a short hop and, while jumping, perform a Dair... but you want to still dashing forward. If you do this, you'll fail half of the times:

:GCR::GCY::GCD::GCA::GCR:

But it's quite better if you do this:

:GCR::GCY::GCCD:

We can talk then about some specific techniques, such as DACUS, that need indeed the C-Stick. If the designers remove this from the final game, it would make a worse gameplay of it.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
I wonder if some of these people have played any Smash Bros. game...

C-Stick allows you to perform a Smash quicker. It also helps to avoid fast-falling when Dairing. Some techniques require a very quick smash/aerial, so leaving the left stick untouched is better.

Let's suppose you are running with :4falcon:. It's very used to make a short hop and, while jumping, perform a Dair... but you want to still dashing forward. If you do this, you'll fail half of the times:

:GCR::GCY::GCD::GCA::GCR:

But it's quite better if you do this:

:GCR::GCY::GCCD:

We can talk then about some specific techniques, such as DACUS, that need indeed the C-Stick. If the designers remove this from the final game, it would make a worse gameplay of it.
Chances are Dacus probably won't even be a thing any more. Yes I have played smash and I can do a smash attack without the c stick just as fast and a down air without fast fall, just press down and a at the same time...
The thing is the case stick isn't a big deal, yes it is convenient but not having it barely changes anything. If you want to continue complaining and getting worked up over nothing by all means go ahead, I prefer to just enjoy the game and adapt to it, not expect the game to adapt to me.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
Please read the full discussion or at least the last page before posting something like this.
I have, it's still not a big deal. If it is to you buy a new 3ds.

Yea, I thought of buying it before but just didn't get the chance. I hit the 400 hour mark too soon :p Well atleast my R button is not completely gone, just soft now. I love the CPP.

I personally use the Longsword as my main, with Switch Axe, Dual blades as secondary melee weps. I have started using bow and light bowguns.

Back to discussion, this move still sucks.

Especially the extra ZL and ZR buttons I would have got, plus the "clicky" R button of the CPP. And the C-stick! Why is Nintendo estranging their 40 million 3DS userbase like this, making games exclusive to the NEW 3DS and then this move to not add CPP compatibility which would have been an affordable and great option for people unwilling to buy a brand new NEW 3DS? Plus people like us who already have the CPP.

Bad move Nintendo. Way to kill the hype for us CPP enthusiasts. Or to be enthusiasts.
Dude, you can input smash attacks manually. Everyone else will as well, it's not that big of a deal. The game is more than perfectly playable without a c stick, a little over reaction...

Last edited by a moderator:

EpicPowered

Smash Cadet
I have, it's still not a big deal. If it is to you buy a new 3ds.
Well, it's not only a big deal to me. Say you want to go for an off stage spike with Falco or Marth. Without the C-Stick, you might end up fast falling, screwing up your timing, and dying while the other person gets to live. Maybe you want to space your character but you are too close and to add to the extra spacing, you might do a forward air with the C-Stick while moving backwards to create some extra space. There are many explanations to why a C-Stick is important. But it's not important enough to spend the extra money on a new half-hearted C-Stick that Nintendo is giving us on the new 3DS. Other people have posted similar statements like yours and have been given an explanation. If you want to stay ignorant then go ahead, it's a big deal to a lot of us and if you don't care then I don't see why you're here in the first place. I prefer to have the extra controls if they are available and it is evident that the Circle Pad Pro is available but that Nintendo just doesn't want to add it.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Dude, you can input smash attacks manually. Everyone else will as well, it's not that big of a deal. The game is more than perfectly playable without a c stick, a little over reaction...
You might want to refrain from double posting. (Or in this case multiple posting. :p )
So I have to spend 250 dollars just because I can't take the ****ing circle pad off?
$250? Where'd you get that?

Top Bottom