• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Legal stages?

Cheap Shot

Smash Cadet
Thanks for your input! Did you test Rainbow Road with four human players? I believe that is the only instance in which the karts don't show up. However, I have yet to test this myself.

Also, when four human players are playing on RBF, neither the breakable walls nor the bonefish show up as I have heard, giving it a bit more space.

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
You're right about the Rainbow Road losing the Shy Guys with four human players. Reset Bonb Forest keeps the bone fish though if I remember correctly. It does lose the breakable platforms. It's fantastic.

I can appreciate the list.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
You're right about the Rainbow Road losing the Shy Guys with four human players. Reset Bonb Forest keeps the bone fish though if I remember correctly. It does lose the breakable platforms. It's fantastic.

I can appreciate the list.
The bonefish dissapears as well when 4 human players are present.
However I am not sure if the odd platform structure can make his stage tournament material, even in doubles.
Rainbow Road is fantastic for doubles.

Cheap Shot

Smash Cadet
The bonefish dissapears as well when 4 human players are present.
However I am not sure if the odd platform structure can make his stage tournament material, even in doubles.
Rainbow Road is fantastic for doubles.
I think the platform structure is just fine, especially for characters who have great aerial mobility. If you prefer flatter stages, strike or ban this stage. Besides maybe PC64, I don't think there are any other suitable stages for the list.

Rocxidi

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the bump, but there have been a few nice DLC stages such as Duck Hunt and Dream Land, but I wanna bring another stage up for discussion: Midgar.

Midgar starts of as a simple Battlefield clone. Summons aside, it feels like a good stage to fight fair. However, after Summon Materia show up, things become hectic. Let's look at the summons and their effect on the stage.

Leviathan: Probably the weakest summon in terms of its effect on the stage. A simple tidal wave similar to Jungle Japes appears, except that it won't kill you by shooting you off the stage, instead it smacks you into the stage, KOing you if your damage exceeds 100.

Ifrit: A huge blast of fire moves the stage around, leaving it slanted or simply closer to the blast zone. The fire damage is minimal, but some characters can get cheese kills by abusing the lower ceiling.

Ramuh: Electricity moves platforms around while stunning fighters who step on them while they are electrocuted. After the initial burst of electricity, individual platforms will warn you when they are about to be shocked, making them relatively easy to avoid.

Odin: The stage is cut in half, KOing any character hit by the Zantetsuken. The stage separates, cutting the upper platform in two, adding interactable ledges and wall jumps in the middle, and pushing the stage closer to the blast zones on the side. The space created between the stage looks big enough for PK Thunders to work, unlike Reset Bomb Forest. After a while, the stage becomes one piece again, KOing any players stuck in between. (There's a glitch that allows players to avoid getting KOd by the stage. It happenned to a Ganondorf CPU on day 1 and I have not been able to replicate it)

Bahamut ZERO: By far the most broken summon in the stage. A huge blast of energy blasts the background and slowly aproaches the stage, giving a warning only moments before a third if the stage is hit by a powerful multihit attack. Smash DI is insignifant. Though the blast won't KO someone at low percents, the summoner can add to the damage and potentially put the opponent in KO range. This is the only broken summon in my opinion and the reason I find it understandable if people continue to find this stage uncompetitive.

Thoughts?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Sorry for the bump, but there have been a few nice DLC stages such as Duck Hunt and Dream Land, but I wanna bring another stage up for discussion: Midgar.

Midgar starts of as a simple Battlefield clone. Summons aside, it feels like a good stage to fight fair. However, after Summon Materia show up, things become hectic. Let's look at the summons and their effect on the stage.

Leviathan: Probably the weakest summon in terms of its effect on the stage. A simple tidal wave similar to Jungle Japes appears, except that it won't kill you by shooting you off the stage, instead it smacks you into the stage, KOing you if your damage exceeds 100.

Ifrit: A huge blast of fire moves the stage around, leaving it slanted or simply closer to the blast zone. The fire damage is minimal, but some characters can get cheese kills by abusing the lower ceiling.

Ramuh: Electricity moves platforms around while stunning fighters who step on them while they are electrocuted. After the initial burst of electricity, individual platforms will warn you when they are about to be shocked, making them relatively easy to avoid.

Odin: The stage is cut in half, KOing any character hit by the Zantetsuken. The stage separates, cutting the upper platform in two, adding interactable ledges and wall jumps in the middle, and pushing the stage closer to the blast zones on the side. The space created between the stage looks big enough for PK Thunders to work, unlike Reset Bomb Forest. After a while, the stage becomes one piece again, KOing any players stuck in between. (There's a glitch that allows players to avoid getting KOd by the stage. It happenned to a Ganondorf CPU on day 1 and I have not been able to replicate it)

Bahamut ZERO: By far the most broken summon in the stage. A huge blast of energy blasts the background and slowly aproaches the stage, giving a warning only moments before a third if the stage is hit by a powerful multihit attack. Smash DI is insignifant. Though the blast won't KO someone at low percents, the summoner can add to the damage and potentially put the opponent in KO range. This is the only broken summon in my opinion and the reason I find it understandable if people continue to find this stage uncompetitive.

Thoughts?
Midgar isn't getting legal. Halberd on the WiiU is on the border and I don't think Kalos is legal anywhere, so Midgar has, like, a 30% chance of becoming legal. The summons are disruptive and can lead to a player dying because of the stage, not the opponent, and the fact that the base stage is literally a Battlefield clone means that it doesn't provide any advantages over any of the other stages.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Leviathan, Bahamut 0, and Odin make the stage banned, they all have too much of an impact on the result of the match taking it out of the player's hands.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
The cars are telegraphed pretty well (the Check icon appears when they're coming or going), but it's a bit harder to see in the 16-bit than many other telegraphs. I wouldn't call the damaging ground a significant issue, though I know a lot of people think it's as bad or worse than a walkoff for hindering offstage and spike play.
Unlike a walkoff, though, they don't break the stage by making one single strategy overcentralizing to the "winning" strategy of the stage. I feel like those two things--how they change offstage play and meteor play--are precisely the reasons why the stage ought to be taken seriously for a place in the stage list. If people reject it for that reason, then I think their complaint lies more in not liking a counterpick to be such an effective counterpick--but why is that a problem? [not to say that there aren't any other potentially valid complaints about the stage]

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I thought it would be worthwhile to let you guys know that on the Customs 3DS ladder we have Brinstar legal in Singles and Rainbow Road legal in Doubles with Full Stage Strike. Should be cool to see how things go.

https://discordapp.com/channels/149720129935114241/151160187431026689
You need a Discord to view the ruleset and join the ladder, though it's fairly simple and quick to make.

Cheap Shot

Smash Cadet
Alright guys, so I ran my first 3DS event and 36 people entered singles and 32 entered doubles. Everyone had really good things to say about my 9 FLSS list, which goes as follows:

Battlefield
Final Destination/Omega
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Duck Hunt
Dreamland 64
Reset Bomb Forest
Yoshi's Island
Brinstar (for singles)
Rainbow Road (for doubles)

The only thing I noticed was that some people didn't have DL64 and wound up striking it, even if their opponent did have it. I was thinking of possibly changing out DL64 for another non-DLC stage so that I don't unintentionally exclude anybody. What stages do you guys think would be a good replacement?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Alright guys, so I ran my first 3DS event and 36 people entered singles and 32 entered doubles. Everyone had really good things to say about my 9 FLSS list, which goes as follows:

Battlefield
Final Destination/Omega
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Duck Hunt
Dreamland 64
Reset Bomb Forest
Yoshi's Island
Brinstar (for singles)
Rainbow Road (for doubles)

The only thing I noticed was that some people didn't have DL64 and wound up striking it, even if their opponent did have it. I was thinking of possibly changing out DL64 for another non-DLC stage so that I don't unintentionally exclude anybody. What stages do you guys think would be a good replacement?
I mean Dreamland is pretty much Battlefield with a lower ceiling and the occasional Whispy. I don't know why people would strike it out of inexperience or lack of knowledge.

I guess you could do one of two things if you really want to get rid of it though and keep the other stages. One option would be to split FD and Omegas since some Omegas can have different perks. Another would be to legalize Unova Pokemon League (other than Reshiram, the stage is pretty fine I think) at least in Singles. Tomodachi Life is an option too, but that low ceiling on the top platform can be pretty jank.

EDIT: Legalizing Brinstar for Doubles and Rainbow Road for Singles is another option. Though I can imagine things getting a little crowded on Brinstar in Doubles. I'm not a Doubles player though, so I could be wrong with anything concerning that.

Last edited:

Cheap Shot

Smash Cadet
I mean Dreamland is pretty much Battlefield with a lower ceiling and the occasional Whispy. I don't know why people would strike it out of inexperience or lack of knowledge.

I guess you could do one of two things if you really want to get rid of it though and keep the other stages. One option would be to split FD and Omegas since some Omegas can have different perks. Another would be to legalize Unova Pokemon League (other than Reshiram, the stage is pretty fine I think) at least in Singles. Tomodachi Life is an option too, but that low ceiling on the top platform can be pretty jank.

EDIT: Legalizing Brinstar for Doubles and Rainbow Road for Singles is another option. Though I can imagine things getting a little crowded on Brinstar in Doubles. I'm not a Doubles player though, so I could be wrong with anything concerning that.
Thought I'm not exactly sure if this was a problem we actually ran into, there's the possibility that two people will meet in bracket without either having DL64, thus the stage being unplayable for that set. Unlike Wii U tournaments where the setups typically have everything you need, 3DS tournaments require every person to have what you need, so I'm thinking of making it fair and to not include DLC stages.

As for your suggestions, I feel Rainbow Road in singles is bad since there are karts and Brinstar is bad for doubles since it's very crowded. FD and Omega stages are very much the same and I would not like to separate them. Unova needs to be tested more but I didn't like it too much when I first tried it out. Tomodachi is something I'm considering. Thanks for your feedback!

Raijinken

Smash Master

Omegas are very frequently relegated to gentleman's/counterpick privilege for that reason. The primary stage function is unchanging, but the sides are a pretty big deal to some characters.

Top Bottom