• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Gamecube Controller Adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livelongdienever

Smash Rookie
unfortunately, there aren't many guides to do this kinda modding. it's quite upsetting, right?
It really is. I've found another person in the U.S. Who maybe able to help me. I'm hoping he can. I wanted to be done with the mod by now to start fine tuning it.

Soul.

I forgot there was already a thread about this on the 3DS boards.
The GCN controller would make playing the game easier, but if someone makes this for the 3DS and 3DS XL, it would be cool too.

HoldMahBeer

Smash Rookie
NNID
HoldMahBeer
No offense, but this is a really dumb idea and it would be smart if Nintendo didn't do it...

If they need to actually make a GC controller adapter on the 3DS, they should have just made the game Wii U exclusive. Using a GameCube control would also take away that 'portable' feel to me, I mean, it's called HANDHELD for a reason. If the size of the original 3DS is the issue, just upgrade to the 3DS XL whenever its in your budget. Problem solved for me.

Last edited:

BeKlumsyMan

Smash Rookie
It would be intersting thats for sure i dont think it would be needed tho as far as i can see from the tournament at comic con the 3ds plays very well without the need for a special controler. If not better tbh

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
For everyone hating on this idea please refrain from making anymore "this is stupid" comments. Everyone has a personal preference. If you don't like it then you don't need to use it. Yes, the controller will interfere with the portability of the system, there are many of us however that bring our controllers with us to tournaments anyhow. There are many people, myself included, who would love to get practice while using the same controller.

I'm happy to see that an adapter has been made for both the 3DS and the 2DS. I really hope someone markets this before the games US launch.

Last edited:

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
I would totally love it. I usually have to wear a bag/backpack to everywhere I go, so carrying the console with a controller everywhere isn't troubling at all, and being home would be great (allowing for practicing the game if I travel and can't carry my WiiU).

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
While the ingenuity of this guy is fairly impressive. I really don't see the point. Okay great I've got the game cube control to use. Now I've just got to sit to a table looking down at my screen. Which would probably get uncomfortable quick. That or find someway to rig my system up so that it's in a sensible position while I play it on the controller. I think I'll just adapt to a new control scheme.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
While the ingenuity of this guy is fairly impressive. I really don't see the point. Okay great I've got the game cube control to use. Now I've just got to sit to a table looking down at my screen. Which would probably get uncomfortable quick. That or find someway to rig my system up so that it's in a sensible position while I play it on the controller. I think I'll just adapt to a new control scheme.
I don't think it's a stretch to assume that someone with a 3DS GC controller adapter will somehow connect their 3DS to a larger monitor and play it on that. :p

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
You can't be serious. A home console controller like the GameCube on a handheld system like the 3DS? Who does that? :/

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Honestly I'd be interested in it, since that way I can more successfully use the 3DS version as a training ground for the Wii U one while at home, yet also be able to bring it with me and use the standard 3DS controls.

It's all personal preference really, but I'd much rather have the choice than not.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
The point isn't about not being able to adapt, it's about being able to stay consistent. I use a fighting stick when I play Street Fighter. I personally can't stand going back to the Ps3 controller when I play it. Doesn't mean the Ps3 controller is bad, it means that I would like to keep one uniformed control scheme for my practice.

This adapter will be perfect for the following people:

1. Those who hook their 3DS up to a larger screen.
2. Those who are interested in using a GameCube controller for the sake of preparing for the Wii U version.
3. Those who already bring their controllers with them to tournaments.
4. Those who just flat-out prefer the control scheme.

You can't be serious. A home console controller like the GameCube on a handheld system like the 3DS? Who does that? :/
If you would take a second to read through the thread you would notice that a lot of your follow Smashers would love to. It would be nice to keep the negativity to a minimum.

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Also, on WiiU we have a lot of controller options. GC Controller, Pro Controller, Wiimote, Wiimote+Nunchuck, Wiimote+Classic Controller, WiiU Gamepad, maybe even the 3DS with connectivity.

Then on the 3DS, we have, the 3DS. And 2DS sure. There are addons like the Circle Pad Pro, and various grips, but they only do so much. It's weird to see people arguing against more options.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I doubt we'll get anything official.
If by official you mean made by Nintendo then yes, I agree with you. Luckily, it doesn't need to be official for it to still be a great product. The Raphnet GameCube controller adapter I use to connect to my PC isn't official but it still an amazing product.

Last edited:

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
If by official you mean made by Nintendo then yes, I agree with you. Luckily, it doesn't need to be official for it to still be a great product. The Raphnet GameCube controller adapter I use to connect to my PC isn't official but it still an amazing product.
I guess so. I would prefer the original controls though.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
I think there's people out there who do Bluetooth controller stuff for mobile games.

My only issue with any possible modding is, well, with the lack of c-stick stuff on the 3DS I doubt it'll be an option. Shame.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
The point isn't about not being able to adapt, it's about being able to stay consistent. I use a fighting stick when I play Street Fighter. I personally can't stand going back to the Ps3 controller when I play it. Doesn't mean the Ps3 controller is bad, it means that I would like to keep one uniformed control scheme for my practice.

This adapter will be perfect for the following people:

1. Those who hook their 3DS up to a larger screen.
2. Those who are interested in using a GameCube controller for the sake of preparing for the Wii U version.
3. Those who already bring their controllers with them to tournaments.
4. Those who just flat-out prefer the control scheme.
Valid points never thought about the hooking the 3ds up to a bigger screen bit. Now I want to look into doing that haha. Then I would want that adapter lol.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I might pay MONEY for that. :laugh:
Honestly, I would too.
Though if anyone makes something like this (official or mod), I seriously doubt we'll be getting rumble.

Heck, though, I may look into making something similar myself if I have the time

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Honestly, I would too.
Though if anyone makes something like this (official or mod), I seriously doubt we'll be getting rumble.

Heck, though, I may look into making something similar myself if I have the time
Yeah, the rumble thing, to bit too farfetched. Also, this 'Circle Pad Pro DX' is much more better than that 3DS GameCube controller mod IMO. At least with this you can see the screen. :laugh:
I also have an idea for a GameCube CPP, but I can't put it into words...

Last edited:

Penol

Smash Rookie
Maybe some third-party company would make an adapter but thats probably all, i don't think nintendo would even bother to make it possible to play with a gamepad on a handheld

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
Have you actually played smash 3ds yet? It feels perfectly fine.
It took me about an hour to adjust but now I'm planning on using it as a controller for the wii u version, its perfectly fine. The circle pad controls like a dream, and tilting is EASIER than on the gamecube controller. So...

dna.noodle

Smash Rookie
I can't believe this met such criticism. I would jump at a GC adapter in a second. Tilts are easier on the stick, it is more ergonomic, the button placement makes more sense to me. I spent untold hours playing that way and have it all in muscle memory, so why would I want to relearn it all on a 3DS that cramps my hands up when I play too long.

Thank you for posting about that mod. I'm going to check that now to make sure it isn't a troll video =D

Edit: damnit! It's not a "how to." Now I need to look into this.

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Honestly, the only thing I don't like about the controls with the 3DS is the fact that this game could literally destroy the circle pad & triggers.

The difference between a controller and using the 3DS itself is that you can just replace controllers for like $20-30. If you destroy the circle pad, it's an entirely different situation.

That said, I don't really have any desire to play on a tiny screen with a controller connected to it.

dna.noodle

Smash Rookie
Honestly, the only thing I don't like about the controls with the 3DS is the fact that this game could literally destroy the circle pad & triggers.

The difference between a controller and using the 3DS itself is that you can just replace controllers for like $20-30. If you destroy the circle pad, it's an entirely different situation.

That said, I don't really have any desire to play on a tiny screen with a controller connected to it.
This! My god, this! I've been so worried. I'm borrowing my friend's 3DS to play until the new 3DS releases. But even then I'm not going to want to destroy my brand new handheld with the usual Smash use. It really does take a toll on your UID.

boobeardabes

Smash Rookie
I would definitely buy one because I am terrified of killing my circle pad. Even if I play extremely gently I'd still be scared. That said I'm not getting my 3ds until this holiday so lets hope there is an option like this by then.

Penol

Smash Rookie
Guys alot of pictures have been posted of peoples circle pad getting destroyed by smash, i cant post the link though because i havent posted 10 posts yet, but this is serious, any ideas on what can be done to prevent this?

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
I have a great idea!
Wait for the wii u version.
Or an even better idea!
Move on.
I agree wii mote sucked for smash, but 3ds and wii u pro controllers work just fine.

Penol

Smash Rookie
I have a great idea!
Wait for the wii u version.
Or an even better idea!
Move on.
I agree wii mote sucked for smash, but 3ds and wii u pro controllers work just fine.
The Adapter does exists you know, they will make it possible to play with the normal gamecube controllers for smash 4 U

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Guys alot of pictures have been posted of peoples circle pad getting destroyed by smash, i cant post the link though because i havent posted 10 posts yet, but this is serious, any ideas on what can be done to prevent this?
Don't smash the circle pad like you're playing melee/brawl. the controls are responsive enough that you don't have to abuse your system.

Penol

Smash Rookie
Im aware of the adapter. Thats why I said wait for the wii u version..Please read.
Ah its just that you mentioned the wii u pro controller and the wii mote, not the GC controller, i might have gotten confused, sorry

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
How come you people cannot understand the concept of someone enjoying the gamecube controls more than the 3ds controls? I prefer the gamecube controls because I am able to do an air attack while moving backwards and a gamecube controller is just more comfortable to me then the 3ds.

I don't see why you people want to limit someone's options, even though they wont affect you in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom