• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Gamecube Controller Adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
The sooner Nintendo weans Smash players off the GCN controller, the better. It's not gonna be around forever; no controller for any console has ever lasted so long. I was half disappointed that the adapter was even announced, because while I'll be happy to use it and think it will help bring GCN VC to the Wii U (because Nintendo was too stupid to put analog triggers on the Wii U controllers), it's technically a step backwards and is only going to make it harder for Smash players when it's finally gone. I reeeeally hope the 3DS-GCN adapter does not happen, it's ludicrous and unnecessary and counter-productive. The 3DS's buttons and circle pad will be just fine; heck, I'd prefer the 3DS over the Wiimote, the Nunchuk, or the Classic Controller (that thing's crazy uncomfortable, even the Pro version), and all three of those I've used at one point or another in Brawl.
Ya know I am a little inclined to agree with you on one token, but on the other unless Nintendo produces a wired controller specifically for the Wii/Wii U then the Game Cube controller is almost a necessity for a lot of people, especially at the competitive level, since apparently wireless controllers have lag (although I don't really notice it myself). I personally think that a Wired classic controller, or Wiichuck would be ideal.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
the Game Cube controller is almost a necessity for a lot of people, especially at the competitive level, since apparently wireless controllers have lag (although I don't really notice it myself).
Not to be a melee fanboy ( I came in at brawl )... But the gamecube controller DOES seems to be the superior choice based on my experience and others experience w/ the pro controller. I tried a wireless gamecube controller once and I didn't NOTICE any lag. I did however, notice that my timing was off and when I switched back the problem was fixed. Ofc technology is different nowadays and the pro controller might not experience as much as a setback than the wireless GCN controllers.

As for the Wiimote with the nunchuck the main downside would be the basic impossibilty to wavedash. ( I know wavedashing is impossible for sm4sh but I'm hoping for a PM sorta thing )

ofc I don't think somebody with a pro control would be less of a player than someone who uses a gcn controller

I personally really hope for some kind of peripheral to use a gcn controller on the 3ds. But even if Nintendo AND third parties fail me I wil find a way to mod those nifty CPP's

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Not to be a melee fanboy ( I came in at brawl )... But the gamecube controller DOES seems to be the superior choice based on my experience and others experience w/ the pro controller. I tried a wireless gamecube controller once and I didn't NOTICE any lag. I did however, notice that my timing was off and when I switched back the problem was fixed. Ofc technology is different nowadays and the pro controller might not experience as much as a setback than the wireless GCN controllers.

As for the Wiimote with the nunchuck the main downside would be the basic impossibilty to wavedash. ( I know wavedashing is impossible for sm4sh but I'm hoping for a PM sorta thing )

ofc I don't think somebody with a pro control would be less of a player than someone who uses a gcn controller

I personally really hope for some kind of peripheral to use a gcn controller on the 3ds. But even if Nintendo AND third parties fail me I wil find a way to mod those nifty CPP's
Actually wavedashing is possible with the Wiichuck in Project M. I suck at wave dashing personally but but I know of a PM player that uses the Wiichuck and wave dashes perfectly fine, and our controller schemes are identical. As for the gamecube controller vs the classic controllers, the only real difference that would be had would be the supposed input lag, which for me I never notice at least while using the wiichuck. I've never used the Pro Controller or the Wii U pro controller for Smash before so I dunno what its like.

The 3DS doesn't really need an adapter as it has the circle pro, which allows you to have have two analog sticks. If the circle pad pro works for Smash on the 3DS then that will make it almost exactly like a GC Controller if my mind.

ShadowMarth14

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSmashBro801
I wish there was a 3DS adapter. When i played the 3DS version at the Smash Fest, i couldn't do any smash attacks no matter what. I don't know if it was the 3DS i used, or the 3DS analog stick itself, but i would really enjoy an adapter.

Livelongdienever

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in. But it's worth a shot.

I'm trying to mod a gamecube controller to work with a 2DS/3DS I've come across this website which has helped a lot but I don't speak Japanese and it's become quite hard to continue.

I wanted to see if anyone has done something like this or can point me in the right direction. It looks like this guy on the website has modded several 3DS' in different ways. So I believe it can be done.
Imaginglabo 3DS you can find it.

Last edited:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
Hey I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in. But it's worth a shot.

I'm trying to mod a gamecube controller to work with a 2DS/3DS I've come across this website which has helped a lot but I don't speak Japanese and it's become quite hard to continue.

I wanted to see if anyone has done something like this or can point me in the right direction. It looks like this guy on the website has modded several 3DS' in different ways. So I believe it can be done.
Imaginglabo 3DS you can find it.
what website are you talking about?

Livelongdienever

Smash Rookie
Http:/ Imaginglabo . Web . Fc2 . Com / 3DS-controller . Html

Take out the spaces and that's the website. Sorry I had to post it like that. I can't post links yet.

Typhoon

Smash Cadet
I would buy a GC Controller adapter for 3DS lol
I second this. Everyone that says no to this idea needs to step off their high horse. There's no reason that people need to start moving away from Gamecube Controllers when Nintendo themselves have endorsed them for another 7+ years. People should be able to use what they enjoy, plain and simple. If you're concerned about it making the system less portable then only use it at home. If you would rather not use it then that's your prerogative. Just because the adapter exists it doesn't mean you're forced to use it. More options are never a bad thing! I really hope someone makes this.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I second this. Everyone that says no to this idea needs to step off their high horse. There's no reason that people need to start moving away from Gamecube Controllers when Nintendo themselves have endorsed them for another 7+ years. People should be able to use what they enjoy, plain and simple. If you're concerned about it making the system less portable then only use it at home. If you would rather not use it then that's your prerogative. Just because the adapter exists it doesn't mean you're forced to use it. More options are never a bad thing! I really hope someone makes this.
Yeah. And I'll mostly be playing Smash 3DS at home. The XL isn't super portable, I don't go to places with it in my pocket anyway.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Everyone that says no to this idea needs to step off their high horse. There's no reason that people need to start moving away from Gamecube Controllers when Nintendo themselves have endorsed them for another 7+ years. People should be able to use what they enjoy, plain and simple. If you're concerned about it making the system less portable then only use it at home. If you would rather not use it then that's your prerogative. Just because the adapter exists it doesn't mean you're forced to use it. More options are never a bad thing! I really hope someone makes this.
I third second this. Some of the very same people that don't like Melee players for bashing Brawl are responding the same way bashing those who simply like the controller, the controllers were added by either popular demand and/or for the competitive community (both Melee and Brawl since they both use Gamecube controllers.) People that criticize the Gamecube controller support in the Wii U are responding no better, people really like the Gamecube controller and they bash them for having a preference.

Typhoon

Smash Cadet
ok how does that **** even work how do they connect it? to the fking cartridge?
The same way you attach the original Circle Pad Pro. You slide it in from the bottom and it locks it in. Sadly, you need to remove the system each time you want to access the cartridge or stylus. While I think that if they made something like this, I would still much prefer to use the actual GameCube controller with an adapter. Hopefully someone can make one!

Last edited:

kidd_guez

Smash Rookie
I play street fighter on my 3ds just fine. I played smash on a 3ds at nintendo world for free when that was a thing last month and it was great. I'm sure we'll be able to play smash on the 3ds with no problem

Last edited:

Typhoon

Smash Cadet
It's not able being able to vs not being able to. This whole debate is centered around personal comfort. At E3 I played on the 3DS version for a long time and I personally didn't enjoy it due to the button layout. The other issue is how hard fighting games are on their controllers. I really don't have any interest in being that rough on my 3DS if I can help it.
It would be nice if people interested in the WiiU version could better utilize the 3DS version for practice. Going back and forth between controllers isn't very practical for that. While this applies to many fighting games, Street Fighter is a great example. I wouldn't be able to get any decent practice in with a PS3 controller because I've been using a stick for the last 3 years. Does that mean that the PS3 controller is bad? No, of course not. Another possible upside to this would be friendlies at tournaments. If this adapter was made people would no longer need to steal TV's from tournament organizers for friendlies, they could just do them on their 3DS while they wait for the match. Yes, they could do this without the adapter, but then we go back to people not wanting to practice on one controller only to use another in a few moments.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
It'd defeat the purpose of a portable system, but then again so did the Kid Icarus Uprising stand so eh.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
The sooner Nintendo weans Smash players off the GCN controller, the better. It's not gonna be around forever; no controller for any console has ever lasted so long.
BS meter through the roof. Playstation controller hasn't lasted so long? That thing has barely changed since PS1.

WECsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
WECsoul
3DS FC
0259-1277-6150
imo gc adapter for 3ds is impossible. Circle pad pro support would be great but I almost lost faith that it'll be supported :ohwell:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Using a controller and an adapter on a console the size of a controller.

This doesn't seem totally weird at all, oh no way.

It'll probably look like this if it was made lol
This, however, I would buy instantly.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
BS meter through the roof. Playstation controller hasn't lasted so long? That thing has barely changed since PS1.
That's not remotely the same scenario. Just because the PS4, PS3, and PS2 controllers look like the PS1 controller doesn't mean they're actually compatible.

This is not a Wii U Pro controller that looks like a Gamecube controller, this is an adapter that uses literal Gamecube controllers.

Typhoon

Smash Cadet
It'd defeat the purpose of a portable system, but then again so did the Kid Icarus Uprising stand so eh.
Again, if you're worried about it being portable then don't use it when you take it with you somewhere. People play the 3DS at home as well you know.

imo gc adapter for 3ds is impossible. Circle pad pro support would be great but I almost lost faith that it'll be supported :ohwell:
There have been mods for both playstation and xbox controlls already. I'm not sure impossible is the correct word.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irDbIQDhGIQ

My friend is working on this already. Its almost done . Get hype
You can't imagine how happy I am to hear this! I would love to know more if there's anything you can share about it.

This is not a Wii U Pro controller that looks like a Gamecube controller, this is an adapter that uses literal Gamecube controllers.
The debate about needing to wean off the Gamecube controller is ridiculous. These posts needed to die the moment Nintendo added their support towards it.

Last edited:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
It's really great someone is working on it! I'm hype for sure! Only question is will the adapter have to be installed like a Capture Card or will it be a device you can attach to the 3DS/XL?

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
It's really great someone is working on it! I'm hype for sure! Only question is will the adapter have to be installed like a Capture Card or will it be a device you can attach to the 3DS/XL?
Someone really is working on it? Sweet! Now what if they make an adapter that also comes with that one so you can connect your 3DS to the big screeen?

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
my experience with a 3DS is limited. But to say I am fond of the 3DS's control's is a bit of a stretch. They aren't bad per se but for certain game genre's they kinda stifle the experience.

I don't really think that the control layout and buttons really work all that great for fighting games in general, and for something like smash's tilt based combat It kinda seems like its gonna be a failed marriage between the two.... but hey, I HOPE I AM WRONG.

I would love a GC controller option for the 3ds. Is it plausible? I don't know don't ask me.

Wanting more controller options and features from developers is not a bad thing.

NOT wanting more controller options and features is akin to going into a ice cream shop, ordering a bananna split and then telling the waiter you don't want the cherries on top because you don't like nice things.

Obviously I am not going go and kill the neighbors dog if I have to use the 3ds controls but it would nice to have alternative options

My friend is working on this already. Its almost done . Get hype
Tell your friend I am throwing dollars bills at my screen and look forward to its completion.

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman

...Honestly, I just wish Nintendo would have stuck with the GCN controller layout (Wii remote notwithstanding). As much as I love the GameCube controller, I think I'm going to stick with the GamePad (and of course, the 3DS layout). The reason is similar to why I switched to the Wii remote + nunchuk for Brawl: it was more convenient.

...That might change if Nintendo is able to offer Wavebirds again though.

Last edited:

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
How about adding circle pad pro to the 3ds features. Make more use of the circle pad pro nintendo.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Although I love the GameCube controller, it being one of my favourite Nintendo controllers ever made, I somewhat wish they didn't make an adapter for the Wii U. Yes, of course I'm going to get one and I will love using the GC controller with it, but I and many other folk were ready to default to the Wii U Pro Controller. If they hadn't released the adapter, it would have made it easier for the community to let it go. We're becoming too attached, and it's prolonging the inevitable.

Luigi160

Smash Cadet
Although I love the GameCube controller, it being one of my favourite Nintendo controllers ever made, I somewhat wish they didn't make an adapter for the Wii U. Yes, of course I'm going to get one and I will love using the GC controller with it, but I and many other folk were ready to default to the Wii U Pro Controller. If they hadn't released the adapter, it would have made it easier for the community to let it go. We're becoming too attached, and it's prolonging the inevitable.
The problem with the Wii U Pro controller is the lack of a wired option which is a must for tournaments. Also it lacks analog triggers which would be needed if they ever put GC games on the virtual console. Since the adapter is USB based, they can support GC controllers indefinitely.

On topic, I could see a third party make a GC like CPP seeing as how Hori is making one geared towards Monster Hunter.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Isn't the Gamecube controller as big as the 3DS itself though lmao
Yeah, pretty silly idea.

I think I'm going to adapt to the 3DS controls rather quickly actually, I think most people will. People are just too attached to the GC controller, and although I understand why, I think people need to be more adaptable.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
This must be the tenth time I've seen this sort of thread. I don't get it.

Why would you try to adapt a completely separate controller to a portable console? What are you going to do, set the 3DS down on the coffee table and bend over your lap while you play so you can see it?

If the 3DS version were the only version being made, I'd support this idea. But since we'll be able to use our GCN controllers on the Wii U version only a few months later, why bother? I'd rather just get used to the 3DS controls. They're fine.

The sooner Nintendo weans Smash players off the GCN controller, the better. It's not gonna be around forever; no controller for any console has ever lasted so long.
Not to be argumentative, but the Playstation 1's Dualshock design wasn't really altered until the PS4 came out. That was released in 1997 and is still used for every modern PS3 game; the Gamecube controller was released in 2001.

Also, fun fact: This year's EVO Street Fighter IV champion won using a PS1 controller. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Apologies, accidentally double-posted.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Speaking of PS1 controllers (and my interest in using controls other than those of the 3DS; I haven't actually played anything else on it yet other than Pokemon but I don't think I'll like the control scheme very much), what would you guys estimate the legality of a mod like this be?
And also, if it can be done with a PS1 controller, could it also be modified for a GC controller? I'm more of a software guy myself, but if there are any hardware people here that could answer that'd be great.

PlayStation 1 Controller

Edit: More examples
Fight Stick
Driving Wheel

Last edited:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
The bottom line is this

'IF' sm4sh has cpp support there WILL be gc controller mods. No way around that. If it's possible, people will mod their 3DS for this, me included.
less likely but still QUITE probable is the chance of 3rd party gc controller adapters. (I'm not sure of the LEGALITY of this though)
even less likely and less probable would be if Nintendo released an official gc controller adapter.

If there is no CPP support for sm4sh3D I will be quite upset for these reasons

1. I don't see any other possible way to mod the controllers into existence
2. no c stick. gives sm4shU a totally different option for strong attacks than the sm4sh3D players. I'm sitting here playing with the controls and it seems pretty hard to execute a smash attacks the same way i would on a gc controller by tapping the control stick and holding the button

For some reason I've started playing super smash flash 2 lol. but anyway the control options really intrigue me.

I use joy2key to emulate my 'gravis gamepad pro' to my keyboard, it's a pretty bad controller i got it cheap at a thrift shop cause it had a USB plug and that's all i could find, it's basically an original PS1 controller w/o the analog sticks.

here are my problems with it.

1. I've set up the four button layout like i assume smash will be like: A on the right (normals) b on the bottom (specials) and x and y (jump) on the top and left. I've been playing for about a week or two and every time I pick up that dumb controller to play a silly flash game (It's actually a pretty nice game, emulates brawl quite well [except faster xD]) it still feels unnatural and uncomfortable.

2. the one thing i do like about the controller is the nice trigger buttons, it's got four trigger buttons just like the PS1 controller. I've mapped shield to L1 and R2 and grab to R1. even though these are good quality trigger buttons, I find myself NEVER using them. this comes from a player who came in from brawl and my MAIN and pretty much ONLY strategy was to shield and roll around grab pummel and throw. after brawl and i found project m and became more of a fast paced player i still used Powershielding shieldgrabbing and normal grabs as a huge part of my strategy. and it's not the games fault, the shield is maybe even more useful in SSF2 and the grabs of my favorite characters are quite an advantage. I mainly don't use them because it feels unnatural. In a fighting game situation you want all your options to feel natural or you won't use them. comparing these trigger buttons to the 3ds triggers I like my 'gravis gamepad pro' triggers a lot more than the 3ds triggers. and I feel if i'm right about this whole unnatural feeling triggers thing I'm rambling about then the majority of 3DS players might not use shielding as much as if they were playing on a wiiU. That, combined with a lack of the c stick would make sm4sh3D play and sm4shU play SO much different.

as far as casual playing goes, I have tons and tons of fun playing SSF2 on my terrible controller. and I assume playing sm4sh3D on a terrible controller will be just as fun, for people who will take it that way.

I'm a very competitive person living in a practical ghost town when it comes to a smash scene. the 3DS' portability and online play is just what i need to:

1. revive my areas scene
2. play online when i fail to do number 1

and as far as competitive play goes, the 'gravis gamepad pro' WILL NOT cut it. neither will the 3DS default controls. So I sincerely hope the 3DS has CPP support and there are at least third party controller adapters. sorry for that wall of rant lol.

Livelongdienever

Smash Rookie
Speaking of PS1 controllers (and my interest in using controls other than those of the 3DS; I haven't actually played anything else on it yet other than Pokemon but I don't think I'll like the control scheme very much), what would you guys estimate the legality of a mod like this be?
And also, if it can be done with a PS1 controller, could it also be modified for a GC controller? I'm more of a software guy myself, but if there are any hardware people here that could answer that'd be great.

I've been working on a mod just like this but with a gamecube controller. I've actually had been talking with the guy who did that mod on the play station controller you posted. He's helped me a lot but because of language barriers I've hit a wall. :/

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
I've been working on a mod just like this but with a gamecube controller. I've actually had been talking with the guy who did that mod on the play station controller you posted. He's helped me a lot but because of language barriers I've hit a wall. :/
unfortunately, there aren't many guides to do this kinda modding. it's quite upsetting, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom