• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Gamecube Controller Adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CitizenSNIPS

Smash Cadet
Playing 10+ years using the GameCube controller, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd buy a different controller if it could hook up to the 3DS as well. It's much easier to play faster and not feel like you're going to wreck it if you have a sturdy controller in your hand rather than the system.

Viper Bite

Smash Rookie
I will only accept the official product if it will be made. I won't accept mods for it because I want to be fair to my comrades.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Have you actually played smash 3ds yet? It feels perfectly fine.
It took me about an hour to adjust but now I'm planning on using it as a controller for the wii u version, its perfectly fine. The circle pad controls like a dream, and tilting is EASIER than on the gamecube controller. So...
Just played the demo and personally for me, its not perfect and I pwouldn't use it for Wii U.
  • No C-Stick is bleh.
  • Its probably gonna be wirelessly connected to the Wii U. Wired Controllers have less input lag than Wireless ones. Its not a big deal for most game genres, but for fighting games I think its kind of critical. In Street Fighter 3rd Strike, I found it incredibly hard to parry multi-hit attacks (and parry in general) with a crappy 360 controller since its wireless and made input lag (though also because of its small D-Pad and poor analog stick).
  • Gamecube Analog Stick > 3DS Circle pad any time, any where, any day. Circle Pad is way too wobbly, and many people have also said that it breaks easily when playing Smash on 3DS since its so fast paced and the pad can't handle it (though its mostly on the regular 3DS) You can't change the movement controls to a D-Pad sadly, Japanese players said so.
  • Small 3DS buttons are small, hurts my hands a little bit. I don't find as problematic as it in Street Fighter 4: 3D Edition though (mostly because of the shoulder buttons).
I respect your opinion, but I am personally inclined to disagree.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
3DS D-pad feels way flimsier than the Circle Pad does, not sure why everybody wants to use that.

fearless.leader

Smash Apprentice
That would be weird, having to set your 3ds on a table or something, we all know the most competative smash will probably end up using the u version anyway

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
so, I've played the demo here's what I think now:

1. Circle pad is really nice, A LOT better than I expected.
2. Shoulder buttons suck.
3. No c-stick = URGHHH

I think, however, that a 2DS with a controller/Trigger Grip is the most ideal

1. 2ds is one solid system = no breakable hinge
2. face buttons on the 2ds are better, end of story.
3. w/ the trigger grip offered at gamestop the trigger, AND the grip of the system feels AMAZING.
4. controls are centered between the two screens instead of just of the bottom portion, feels a lot more natural
5. Still no c-stick but better than regular 3ds
6. cheaper
7. not awkward like everyone makes it out to be (then again i like the xbox one controller so maybe im just weird)

Even so I will definately look into using a GC controller on my normal 3ds because I love the Gamecube controller

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
so, I've played the demo here's what I think now:

1. Circle pad is really nice, A LOT better than I expected.
2. Shoulder buttons suck.
3. No c-stick = URGHHH

I think, however, that a 2DS with a controller/Trigger Grip is the most ideal

1. 2ds is one solid system = no breakable hinge
2. face buttons on the 2ds are better, end of story.
3. w/ the trigger grip offered at gamestop the trigger, AND the grip of the system feels AMAZING.
4. controls are centered between the two screens instead of just of the bottom portion, feels a lot more natural
5. Still no c-stick but better than regular 3ds
6. cheaper
7. not awkward like everyone makes it out to be (then again i like the xbox one controller so maybe im just weird)

Even so I will definately look into using a GC controller on my normal 3ds because I love the Gamecube controller
Is the screen big enough to see stuff when characters are so far away? On a regular 3ds, the screen is so tiny, and its hard to see which character I'm even using when I get separated from my enemy.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I personally didn't have any trouble keeping track of the action on the standard 3DS screen, no more so than I would on a TV.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't you guys just get a new 3ds when it comes out? (not trolling or bragging, sincere question)

Last edited:

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
I personally think that an adapter for our 3 and 2DS platforms would be a popular item ..... I would love to have one. Just last night I was researching potential adapters and custom modifications allowing for a GCC to control a 3DS ..... most were experiments or are still in tacky prototype mode lol We will be seeing some version of these adapters for sale within this next year. The demand is there, like it or not

People need to worry about their own selves. How is Joe Shmoe going to bother you if he wants to play his 3ds copy using a GCC and adapter? Why must we all conform and turn our backs on a very solid controller design.... it is not just comfortable and efficient, but the design quality and popularity of the controller cannot be denied. Just because I want something like this does not mean it will be the only control method I use. If I am on the go then obviously I would leave the GCC behind and play like I do now. The time I would use the controller is at home playing....nothing wrong with that.

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
This is really cool to have and all but....
Thank goodness its only one more week until smash Wii u cus theres a lot of people using stuff like this online. When you run into them they stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
This is really cool to have and all but....
Thank goodness its only one more week until smash Wii u cus theres a lot of people using stuff like this online. When you run into them they stick out like a sore thumb.
People are actually using this online? Man, I get the love for the Gamecube Controller and all, it's nice, but can we please move on already? That's not the only way to play a Smash Bros game.

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
someone modded his 3ds to have a GC port and all buttons worked, however it was a lengthy process and left the 3ds in a somewhat fragile state (though when youre not holding the 3ds thats not as big an issue).

However i would find an official adapter to be unlikely just because...where would you plug it into? The 3DS only has 3 ports, one for an SD one for the game and one for power. There might be a way to modify the game port using a special card case but i foresee severe fragility on that product and Nintendo is very against fragile components. After the NES they have been known for super durable consoles/controllers. I mean, who here dropped a TV on an N64, broke the tv, and the 64 worked fine lol

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
Using a GameCube control would also take away that 'portable' feel to me, I mean, it's called HANDHELD for a reason. If the size of the original 3DS is the issue, just upgrade to the 3DS XL whenever its in your budget. Problem solved for me.
You don't have to take the GC controller everywhere with you. Mind blowing concept, I know.

Again people, its just an idea. Having it wouldn't hurt anyone. The argument that having a c stick is unfair is invalid since the New 3ds has already been announced.

I don't see Nintendo considering this for the main reason that they want you to buy both games. I also don't want to repeat myself, but they are releasing the New 3ds with the c nub. I'm positive Nintendo doesn't want to derive sales from that.

Last edited:

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to take the GC controller everywhere with you. Mind blowing concept, I know.

Again people, its just an idea. Having it wouldn't hurt anyone. The argument that having a c stick is unfair is invalid since the New 3ds has already been announced.

I don't see Nintendo considering this for the main reason that they want you to buy both games. I also don't want to repeat myself, but they are releasing the New 3ds with the c nub. I'm positive Nintendo doesn't want to derive sales from that.
I don't want to buy a new 3ds, My 3dsxl is awesome and I LOVE IT, heck it's better to buy a WiiU and the U version than just rebuy an update 3ds just to play Smash, yeah you can tell me to sell my 3dsxl to buy the new one but heck no, I like it and if one day I buy a new 3ds it's just to play smash 3ds with friends that doesn't own the console and the game that is pretty imposible, but with the WiiU version only 2 friends have the WiiU so yeah.

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to buy a new 3ds, My 3dsxl is awesome and I LOVE IT, heck it's better to buy a WiiU and the U version than just rebuy an update 3ds just to play Smash, yeah you can tell me to sell my 3dsxl to buy the new one but heck no, I like it and if one day I buy a new 3ds it's just to play smash 3ds with friends that doesn't own the console and the game that is pretty imposible, but with the WiiU version only 2 friends have the WiiU so yeah.
I don't see anywhere in my post telling you to purchase a new 3ds.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I don't see anywhere in my post telling you to purchase a new 3ds.
I know but at the end of your comment it felt like you were saying that people should buy a new 3ds to enjoy the game like it was a free console or something at 20 dollars, and I just said that if people want to invest money to play smash and already own a 3ds and the game , it's better to buy a WiiU with the game. But yeah If I could having a second 3ds or new 3ds with second copy of smash could be neat for my traveling. I wasn't trying to be mean to you.

EaglePie

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZeldaGamer08
I get why people don't want it but the Melee fanboy attack was too much. That was uncalled for and unnecessary, you went too far with that. That's not nice, what if I said you were being a Smash 4 *** and being protective of handhelds? Exactly. Now...
I want to play Smash 4 and Melee but can't get used to both that easily. Imagine playing Melee really hardcore and then suddenly switching to Uncharted for PS4. It's a bad comparison but you get the point; it's not easy. Getting used to it is hard if you're constantly going back and forth and plus I can't afford a Wii U or Smash 4 Wii U.This would be cool if Nintendo did it (too late for it now) but there are adapters that aren't official but still work fine. I'll try to get my hands on one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom