• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3 stock or 4 stock?

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
Judging by Smash 4's speed, gameplay, and the demo at E3 2013, how many stocks should there be in a competitive Smash 4 match? I can't decide myself, but I'd like to hear the opinions of others.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
The average length of a match can't be measured as of now, we have to wait until the game is released to see just how quickly matches play out normally, and how easy or difficult it is to earn KOs. Then the stock amount can be determined.

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I'm personally hoping the next game warrants going back to using 4 stocks. The gameplay may be faster but I think it will really come down to how combos can be set up (hitstun and knockback power) and whether there are stronger options to gimp to offset how easy it is to recover. The defensive mechs would have to be toned down for sure.

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
You know, I never got the whole "4 stocks" thing. Arent "5 lives" usually the default in video games?

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
You know, I never got the whole "4 stocks" thing. Arent "5 lives" usually the default in video games?
The amount of lives in competitive matches is to make reasonably lengthed matches. Brawl has 3, Melee has 4, and 64 has 5. It's mostly down to how fast you can get kills.

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
Now that I think about it more, I'm leaning on four stocks. The gameplay looks about as fast as Melee, and it doesn't look too hard to get kills (harder than Melee but easier than Brawl)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well, since the speed's supposed to be in between Melee and Brawl, how about 3.5 stocks? :awesome:

Seriously though, from the little we've seen, the game currently looks closer to Brawl, I think. Therefore, I think 3 stocks might continue to be the standard. Mega Man died pretty quickly to Mario's attack in the single match we've seen, though, so who knows? Maybe we can return to 4 stocks. I'd certainly prefer it.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
64 had 5 stocks, Melee had 4 stocks, Brawl had 3 stocks, obviously this game will be 2 stocks :awesome:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Brawl has been testing out with 1 Stock games recently, and its actually going surprisingly well. Perhaps thats what the ruleset for Smash 4 should be at the beginning.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Considering it's said to be between Melee and Brawl in speed, it should obviously be 3.5 stock.

In all honesty though, it's really hard to judge at the moment. My gut feeling says 3 stock, but I'll be damned if it hasn't been wrong many times before.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
From the look of the Little Mac Trailer, I am thinking 5

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well... we're leaning toward Brawl-like with increased speed and new mechanics... only time will tell what needs to be done..

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
With the changes to edge-guarding it's pretty much impossible to say... I could see two working if it's harder to edge guard, but we just don't know enough at this stage to mak that decision.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Yeah, I can agree with that. The more I examine these "changes", the more I'm resolved to not have any opinion until I play the game. It's gonna be a lot easier that way. I almost got caught up, but I'm keeping neutral until the release.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Comes down to the nature of the game.

the way it looks so far it might end up possibly being super aggro like 64 for 5 stocks might even return.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
My experience is that 4 stocks generally makes doubles work better but in singles just elongates games. It's not even about game speed (we always want tournaments to run as quickly as possible, of course); it's about how swingy matches are. In Melee 4 stocks had a bit of merit since a lot of characters (space animals especially) had credible ways to die at very low percentages, and 4 stocks was designed to make games in which that happened still possible to bring back. In Brawl, dying very early generally means the player did something extraordinarily stupid so it wasn't really so necessary; sure you could die fast, but that generally meant you had made a big series of mistakes so you deserved to be losing that quickly no matter how things are looked at. As long as smash 4 doesn't have things like 0-death combos or strong low% gimp set-ups, I think 3 stocks is best no matter how fast paced the game is. If it does have those things, we should look into 4 stocks.

That being said, those things won't be discovered on day 1. I think we should do 3 stocks at first and add a stock if we discover matches are too swingy. We might consider making doubles 4 by default since that greatly increases the potential for life sharing and more emphasizes teamwork (since it's a critical point of length difference in which team synergy gets tested), but for singles, I think starting with 3 is just logical.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm in the 4-stock to start, 3-stock if it disappoints us in the speed department camp.

It's a pretty safe formula.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
It doesn't matter how many stock. Just as long as it's no items, Fox only, Final Destination.

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
We've gotten way more info since the time of the OP. I'm bumping for new inputs.

D

Deleted member 245254

Brawl has been testing out with 1 Stock games recently, and its actually going surprisingly well. Perhaps thats what the ruleset for Smash 4 should be at the beginning.
Um that is a horrible idea, actually. Even scientifically within the context of experimentation, you always work your way down, not up.

Many people criticized the 1-stock tournament heavily for not providing enough flexibility for downloading to happen, there was more criticism than applaud.

We should start with 3 at the very least, and depending on the length of matches we can shave off stocks/minutes pending how it goes.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Um that is a horrible idea, actually. Even scientifically within the context of experimentation, you always work your way down, not up.

Many people criticized the 1-stock tournament heavily for not providing enough flexibility for downloading to happen, there was more criticism than applaud.

We should start with 3 at the very least, and depending on the length of matches we can shave off stocks/minutes pending how it goes.
Oh hello post of mine from like 5 months ago, maybe you should consider asking me if I've changed my mind on this matter in the past 5 months, because I have. I don't support the 1-stock idea now anyways.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
3 stocks kills seem to take awhile.
To be fair no-one's really studied the characters yet, when people start learning more reliable combos it could get a lot faster...

I still stick that we don't know enough at this stage, and probably won't 'till a little while after the game comes out.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I'm leaning towards three stocks, because it plays closer to Brawl than Melee. I'd be down for four, but three seems to be the most optimal to me. It'll basically end up being slightly quicker than Brawl matches, which I'm certainly down for. Moving it to four stocks could even that out and make it as long as a 3 stock Brawl match, which I'd prefer not to happen, unless this game turns out to be alot more interesting than Brawl competitively, which it likely will be.

I'm okay with four stocks, but right now, my mind is set on 3.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
i will say they used 4 stock with 6 minutes at sdcc for the 3ds tournament

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I don't think now is the time to get too caught up on this kind of stuff...

Top Bottom