• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3 Stage Bans W/ Lucas

keninblack

Smash Cadet
Aka Yung Lean Junior

I made the mistake of using Sheik in P:M and now I am a fully realized Lucas player. So, with that in mind I want to see what other Lucas players are thinking with this aspect of the game... the 3 stage bans.

Basically, I want to see what stages most of you guys like to ban if you take game 1 or 2. I also want to know, if in certain situations you ban stages not because of your personal preference, but because your opponent is using a character where they would benefit being on a certain stage. So you strategically banned it so they couldn't play on it.

Feel free to post what stage list you are referring to, I will be referring to the most recent Xanadu stage list for the weeklies. Because VA/MD <3

- Starter Stages
Smashville
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dream Land 64
Fountain of Dreams
Green Hill Zone

- Counterpick Stages
Distant Planet
Skyworld
Yoshi's Island
Warioware
Yoshi's Story
Lylat Cruise
Metal Cavern

I'm comfortable playing on any of the starters, I am not the biggest fan of FoD, but I don't mind it.

Skyworld and Lylat however, I don't really prefer and try to ban those 2 if the opponents character has no real stage they benefit from.

So yeah, basically I just wanna see whats good with yall. What stages do you ban out of them being bad for Lucas, or what stages do you ban to try to get rid of any potential assistance for your opponents character? Thanks in advance.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I ban Lylat always cos it's not a proper stage. Ledges are buggy and you can sweetspot from under the stage with moves like Fox/Falco Side-B.
I love FoD if it's not against characters that also love it.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I always ban Dream Land because of the ceiling. Yes, we can live for a long time with our lengthy recovery, but I'd rather have earlier guaranteed upthrow/upsmash kills. It is very rare for me to not ban this stage.

The other bans are far more situational. I don't like Skyworld or Lylat, so I'd probably ban them a lot too, but that's 100% preference based with no strategic value.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I always ban Yoshi's Story because I really don't like that stage, personal preference I think.

The other 2 depends on the oponnent's characters, I tend to ban Metal Cavern against some characters like DK and Bowser, Yoshi's Island for Marth and Roy, etc.

I just LOVE smashville, idk why, but I feel more confortably here than FD or pkmn stadium 2 (which are stages I also like playing on)

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
I feel like Lucas is one of those characters that what you ban depends more on the strengths/weaknesses of the other players character rather than the strength's and weaknesses on Lucas. He's pretty decent on most stages, so you can just take out the options that would really benefit the other character and force them to either switch or play on something they're uncomfortable with. For example, if you're going against a Marth, Yoshi's story is probably not a good idea. If you're going against a Spacie, or Falcon, ban the stages that give them lots of space to move around. If you're going against Samus or Link, Ban the stages that let them hardcore camp like FD or PS2. The only stages that I think Lucas is bad on are Dreamland and FoD, but just simply because of the high ceilings and nothing else.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
A lot of stage bans are situational/matchup dependent, in my opinion.

Personally, I LOVE Yoshi's story and Wario Ware. They're such small stages, so not only is it harder for opponents to run away, but it allows me to put on much better pressure than on a larger stage. Unfortunately, it's not that good a stage against characters with really good reach/priority and you can die pretty early as well.

I don't really like Dreamland 64, because fighting some characters there can last forever (Sonic, Pit, Yoshi, Meta Knight, etc.), but if you take a heavy, slow character there, it's a really good stage pick. You won't be able to Up Throw kill much, but you can outrun slow opponents and get good edgeguard on the stage.

I usually banDreamland 64 (depending on the matchup), Metal Cavern (I just think this stage is garbage), and FoD, because the low moving platforms can sometimes get in the way or get you killed easier.

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
I usually would ban lylat just cuz I don't like it since I was a pikachu main in brawl and dat shiz was wack
And against certain characters I'd probably ban FD and dreamland

Spice

Smash Cadet
PS2, Metal Cavern, Dreamland

I don't really like Battlefield against a lot of characters actually either, it doesn't give us much room to escape if the opponent's character is also really good at pressure or combos against Lucas, like Sheik or Mario. Against spacies it isn't bad though.

On the other hand, I've found Norfair is an amazing stage for Lucas against most characters.

Zoma

Smash Journeyman
I have some interesting disagreements with the general consensus.

I would always ban WarioWare, though that's likely just personal preference. And I think Lylat is very strong for Lucas, as I find the platforms to be a portal to usmash city.

In general, mine would be WarioWare, FoD (low platforms ruin everything), and some third. Green Hill, most often.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I like to CP against spacies on Lylat cruise

Top Bottom