• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.6 announcer

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Just some constructive criticism on the new voice for the announcer.. is there any way to make him sound a bit more like the original announcer?

Or if you wana rule that option out, I would suggest finding someone that has a voice for radio to do the voice. He doesn't sound enough like an announcer right now. He needs more power in his voice. The old announcer sounded like a sports announcer almost.

Hope this makes sense, and is doable!

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Probably not the best place for this thread, but the thread definitely has merit. So yeah imo, I really don't like this new announcer. I respect the attempt and the idea at a new announcer, trying to make pm look and sound less like brawl, but I seriously don't like the way he sounds. To me it seems like he's doing voice work for sonic adventure battle or something equally cheesy in dialogue, sorry to these games fans but you have to admit there's some pretty cringe worthy moments in the voice acting.

So overall, yeah not a fan of this dude's work. Not hatin on the guy, but I'm not digging his take on being a smash bros announcer.

Llama Juice

Smash Apprentice
I really didn't like him at first either, but after a few weeks it grew on me and now I'm a fan.

To me, it's something that we've been used to for so long, and to hear it be changed makes it sound *wrong* when it's just different. Give it a bit more and he'll feel at home.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'm sure we will get used to it :p and i do agree that changing the voice is a good idea overall anyway. Its good for many reasons (as stated above, plus i assume if any new clone engine characters get in, it will be easier to create their necessary announcer calls).

Hopefully he does grow on me though lol. I just feel the voice lacks power and presence mainly.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Of course, we all know the optimal solution would be to have multiple announcer options, that way people can choose which they like the best out of them. :p

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Sorry, i wasnt sure where the best place to put it was. Where should it be? And can you move it there?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

Of course, we all know the optimal solution would be to have multiple announcer options, that way people can choose which they like the best out of them. :p
Well I don't know how practical this would be. I mean i guess they could do it (they seem to be able to do anything they want more and more as time goes on haha) but it's kinda un necessary. I just wish this announcer was beefed up a bit lol.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Yeah idk, I'm not going to shoot it down completely, but atm I'm not a fan. I'll try to get used to it and see if it grows on me.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I really didn't like him at first either, but after a few weeks it grew on me and now I'm a fan.

To me, it's something that we've been used to for so long, and to hear it be changed makes it sound *wrong* when it's just different. Give it a bit more and he'll feel at home.
But what about newcomers? When I show this game to a big group of people for the first time, I can't convince them to give him a few weeks. It's a bad first impression.

I feel like the announcer himself could be good. His demo reel sounded fine, but some characters he tries to sound "cute" on and it doesn't work for me.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
But what about newcomers? When I show this game to a big group of people for the first time, I can't convince them to give him a few weeks. It's a bad first impression.

I feel like the announcer himself could be good. His demo reel sounded fine, but some characters he tries to sound "cute" on and it doesn't work for me.
Ya i think the cuteness is a bit out of place at times. I really dislike how he says ganondorfs name.. like it should sound sinister not soft. I havent jumped in with my friends yet, but i already know exactly what their reactions are gona be hahah

My main advice would be to try and mimic a sports announcer/commentator/radio personality when doing the announcers voice. I dont know if doing this would mean the team would need someone else to do the voice entirely, or if the guy doing it now is good at changing his voice etc, but that would be ideal (in my opinion).

Also, adding some bass and echo to his voice might help, (with a new voice over, or even in the current state) so that it sounds like hes talking into a microphone at a sports event of sorts.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
all i heard was the training, ganondorf, and the 3,2,1 go. training and the countdown sound different, but ok.

ganondorf made me think i was playing diddy kong racing. i like the concept, but there could definitely be some tweaks and polishing.

i'll have to listen to more of the cast's calls and the victory screens to get a better opinion, but i don't think it's world breaking, at all.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
all i heard was the training, ganondorf, and the 3,2,1 go. training and the countdown sound different, but ok.

ganondorf made me think i was playing diddy kong racing. i like the concept, but there could definitely be some tweaks and polishing.

i'll have to listen to more of the cast's calls and the victory screens to get a better opinion, but i don't think it's world breaking, at all.
Ya its certainly not the end of the world. But I do assume the team cares about our opinions a bit and may try to come up with a good solution. They are all about polish and perfection after all!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
I can certainly say I'm not a fan either. I don't know how some of these clips got okay'd, like "Woof" and that completely out of place Luigi. I haven't done so yet but I'll likely just mod the old announcer back in.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I can certainly say I'm not a fan either. I don't know how some of these clips got okay'd, like "Woof" and that completely out of place Luigi. I haven't done so yet but I'll likely just mod the old announcer back in.
When does he say woof? lol
i havent heard that on yet

I want to mod the old announcer back in, but i see there being problems with when they add clone engine characters in future releases. Also i feel like its so much work to switch the announcer every time lol

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
Wolf's voice clip isn't enunciated in any way so it ends up coming out as "Woof."

And yeah, clone characters will cause an issue in the future, but I don't expect any new ones being added in a while, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
The announcer himself isn't bad, but the voice direction is horrible/non-existent. He goes from sounding like the Pokemon Stadium announcer, to Pee Wee Herman, and then to a really bored dude... There's no cohesion. Listen to him say Kirby, then Lucario, then Falcon, then Ike, then Wolf and then LOUigi. It just doesn't sound right. And is he trying to do a British accent for Fox? Christ.

Telling us to get used to a bad announcer is ridiculous, why doesn't the PMDT just do some quality control so people don't feel so divisive?

I think the PMDT should just revert back to Brawls announcer until new characters drop so they have some time to search for a guy who knows what he's doing. Or at the very least, have this new announcer redo like 80% of his clips with some direction.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
The announcer himself isn't bad, but the voice direction is horrible/non-existent. He goes from sounding like the Pokemon Stadium announcer, to Pee Wee Herman, and then to a really bored dude... There's no cohesion. Listen to him say Kirby, then Mario, then Falcon, then Ike, then Wolf and then LOUigi. It just doesn't sound right.

Telling us to get used to a bad announcer is ridiculous, why doesn't the PMDT just do some quality control so people don't feel so divisive?

I think the PMDT should just revert back to Brawls announcer until new characters drop so they have some time to search for a guy who knows what he's doing. Or at the very least, have this new announcer redo like 80% of his clips with some direction.
A bit harsh there lol. But i mostly agree. Keep in mind, the new announcer COULD be a work in progress too (hopefully). I'm ok with them changing it up from now.. im sure they're preparing for their clone engine character releases.. they may be closer than we think.

Also, this way they can get some feedback and move forward. Changing the voice actor/acting isnt one of the hardest things they have to work with. This seems to be their first go at it so lets give them time and see what they'll come up with int he future. I have lots of faith in these guys, they're amazing at what they do!

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I certainly don't think they should go back to the Brawl announcer. They just need to make fixes where they're needed to the new announcer. A new announcer helps PM gain its own identity, and it will be better for new characters. The Brawl announcer's pronunciation of Mewtwo is really bad, and new characters may be worse. Also, I feel like new characters will probably drop for the next update (4.0). It has been almost two years since the last additions, and those leaked characters looked nearly finished.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I certainly don't think they should go back to the Brawl announcer. They just need to make fixes where they're needed to the new announcer. A new announcer helps PM gain its own identity, and it will be better for new characters. The Brawl announcer's pronunciation of Mewtwo is really bad, and new characters may be worse. Also, I feel like new characters will probably drop for the next update (4.0). It has been almost two years since the last additions, and those leaked characters looked nearly finished.
Agreed. I'm fine with a new announcer. Just tweak him and improve him. Hopefully our comments and opinions get noticed and they're able to implement improvements :)

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The announcer himself isn't bad, but the voice direction is horrible/non-existent. He goes from sounding like the Pokemon Stadium announcer, to Pee Wee Herman, and then to a really bored dude... There's no cohesion. Listen to him say Kirby, then Lucario, then Falcon, then Ike, then Wolf and then LOUigi. It just doesn't sound right. And is he trying to do a British accent for Fox? Christ.

AGREED 100%

Constructive criticism like this is good--it is the lack of consistency in the sense of direction that bugs many people about this announcer. If that is cleared up, I'm sure many more people would be attracted to him.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I don't mind the announcer as a whole, but I feel the impact of selecting a character is missing. That seems to be a trend with 3.6 so far. Sounds lack umff, at least the new ones. When I pick Squirtle, it sounds so lack luster, like it was a second thought. This is really hard to describe in text. I think a slightly deeper voice would be nicer.
I do however love how he did Luigi x]

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I don't mind the announcer as a whole, but I feel the impact of selecting a character is missing. That seems to be a trend with 3.6 so far. Sounds lack umff, at least the new ones. When I pick Squirtle, it sounds so lack luster, like it was a second thought. This is really hard to describe in text. I think a slightly deeper voice would be nicer.
I do however love how he did Luigi x]
I agree with everything except luigi. I like the idea of having his a bit sillier, but it doesnt quiteee fit. It needs some work.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Luigi and Samus definitely need changed. I can barely understand that he's actually saying "Samus" and I probably wouldn't be able to tell if it wasn't for the fact I selected her. Overall, I don't think that the announcer is bad, but he lacks the oomph and excitement that you'd expect from an announcer. It sounds like he's just reading the names and lines normally sometimes.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
nope, just flat don't like it.

"GAME" is his only quote that sounds at least decent.
you play any other game that has a character select screen with call outs and they all follow suit and fit in with the game's theme. the new announcer is strangely upbeat against everything else the PMDT has overhauled so far (the PM theme, and just in general the darker menus), and the ****ty sound quality doesn't help.
it only sounds worse on the results screen where it has to piece bits of dialogue together.

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
The announcer is just background noise to me. Of all the things one could be inclined to complain about, why would anyone bother at all with such a trivial thing? You must think PM is virtually perfect if this even crosses your mind before anything else. Don't you have somewhere else to be, like character nerf threads or "too many Mario stages" or something? I'd honestly just live with it if the announcer was one of the main things that bothered me about PM rather than waste time and the PMDT's attention when it could be spent on more important issues.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
There's nothing inherently wrong with the 3.6 announcer. Let's keep in mind that Luigi's name has been said with an odd inflection at least since Brawl, if not earlier. If there was nothing wrong with that then, then why would it necessarily be wrong now? The voice is clear, distinct and isn't trying to sound like any of the previous announcers. It doesn't necessarily need to be overly excited like Pat Cashman or Xander Mobus in order to be a fitting performance for Project M.

I for one don't miss the odd pronunciation of and in Mr. Game & Watch. Cashman always said Mr. Game AND Watch instead of just saying it straight off. He focused primarily on the and, and I'm happy to have that gone.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
I always wondered why the PM guys always insist in creating their own content to use officially in the mod rather than use something that already exists created by us users like the Project Monolith thing. Would had been better really.
It's a sense of pride and professionalism. I can understand it and it has been part of their quality reputation for a long time now. However, not so much for this part..

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I always wondered why the PM guys always insist in creating their own content to use officially in the mod rather than use something that already exists created by us users like the Project Monolith thing. Would had been better really.
Using things custom made for the game gives the game it's own identity. If everything they added was just a mismash of pre-existing materials, it wouldn't really feel like Project M. It would feel like Brawl Mod #937.

Top Bottom