• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 DED: The differences you should know

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
So roys 3.5 hasnt changed all so much such that its general function has changed, and in fact most of the varying swings in it are mostly (if not exactly) the same. after some testing in debug mode, ive identified a few nuances with some of the swings that might force you to rethink how to use them, and when to select a different swing.

the biggest change ive noticed is that the later hits of xx^ are no longer a meteor smash. you will still meteor smash aerial opponents, and many grounded opponents, but characters that arent abnormally large and dont have tall sitting crouches, will in fact be able to CC this swing, as was not previously possible in my experience. when combatting CCing opponents, your best bet is now xxV, which was largely considered a sub par option in 3.0. before, its only use was poking at ledges to send the opponent at a low angle to set up for gimps, or finish an edge guard. this is no longer possible, since its angle has changed to be around maybe 60 degrees. because of its use against CCing (and because its the only one now that can beat CCing with most, relatively low ducking characters), you have more of an incentive to use it.

the other big change ive noticed is that xxxV seems to have significantly increased shield damage. one sequence of >>VV will break most shields now, where as before, it wasn't too difficult to shield all the way through a DED sequence. The hitboxes also seem skillfully and geometrically placed such that shield draining is preferred instead of shield poking. with the threat of this option present, your opponent is going to have much more of an incentive to jump out of their shield or attempt a roll/WD OOS. in 3.02, i think it was agreed upon that XXXV may have been the absolute worst swing.

it seems to me from my testing that xx^, xxV, and xxxV received the most changes, or at least the changes most relevant to the functionality of the different swings, and how you choose to utilize some of the later swings. the other big thing that was changed (to all the swings), is that they are now clankable. being clankable (for those who dont know), means that a move will collide with other moves (and cancel out) if the two are within 9% damage of each other. if one of them has larger than a 9% damage gap compared to the other, that higher damaging move will cancel out the other, and persist through. an unclankable move will persist through moves no matter what the damage gap is, and cannot collide with other attacks (ie. MKs whole moveset besides dash attack). this can be good or bad, since an unclankable move cannot fend off projectiles, but it can persist through even the most powerful of smash attacks to make sure you get your hit in as well. in terms of roys DED, the unclankable attribute only helped when your opponent wasnt disjointed really so you could go through any of their attacks. now that its clankable, i think many roy users see it as a positive, as now DED can cancel out, or clank with projectiles, as well as other disjointed ground attacks that might have been able to outspace roy in 3.02.

if any of this information is wrong, unchanged from 3.02, or if something should be added, I would love for a dev (maybe @Sethlon) to correct me, as this was entirely found out from usage as well as debug mode, where i cant find direct information on the angles/KB/shield stun/etc. in order to compare with the 3.02 frame data thread.

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Intresting. I noticed the change in xxV's angle and thought it was strictly worse, because at least it had a use. Nice to know it is probably solid vs CC. I like the sounds of Shield breaking with DED. Gonna have to try that on ocassion. Would surely shock someone.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
sorry @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer , i read a post of yours somewhere that said much of your frame data work was being postponed because of another game you play or something along that lines. any dirt you can look up would be appreciated!

but yes, xxV will beat all CCs even at 0%, which isnt the case for xx^ anymore, so ive found myself using it a lot more. at lower percents, it can set up for xxx>, but that ability quickly diminishes.

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Awesome to hear. It turns out I never once before canceled xxV because it is actually hard. Every other cancel combination I find extremely easy. Looks like I won't be breaking shields for a bit.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
DED 1:

1 Frame faster, 50/40/40/40 BKB ⇒ 3 BKB

DED 2 Up:

1 Frame faster, tipper damage 5% ⇒ 4%, 50 BKB ⇒ 0 BKB

DED 2 Down:

1 Frame faster, tipper damage 5% ⇒ 4%, 40/40/20/20 BKB ⇒ 1 BKB

DED 3 Up:

has a late hit now, hits 1 frame faster,

early hit: 10/10/10/8%, 1 extra shield damage, angle of 280/280/280/270, bkb of 1, kbg of 60/60/60/40
late hit: 7/7/7/5%, 1 extra shield damage, angle of 60, bkb of 1, kbg of 60

DED 3:

tipper damage 9% ⇒ 8%, 50 BKB ⇒ 1 BKB

DED 3 Down:

first 3 hits are basically unchanged, they may have had a slight knockback change idk

4th hit:
70 BKB ⇒ 1 BKB, angle 30 ⇒ 60

DED 4 Up:

35 BKB ⇒ 1 BKB, 135 KBG ⇒ 130 KBG,

DED 4:

35 BKB ⇒ 2 BKB

DED 4 Down hit 1-3:

2 BKB ⇒ 1 BKB

DED 4 Down hit 4:

50 BKB ⇒ 1 BKB, 361 angle ⇒ 40 angle

I got lazy towards the end. Frame data for almost all of it has been minorly changed. No new shield damage modifiers, some of the tipper damage dealts have been reduced by 1. Mostly just angle and BKB changes.

EDIT: ALSO I COULDNT REMEMBER WHERE TO FIND THE BACK DED MOVE, im sorry

Last edited:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Im confused aerodrome, your saying that the Base knockback of many of the DED moves has been reduced to 1? Does that mean horribly low knockback for certain hitboxes? I know that some of the DED moves still kill easily so I guess im not understanding what the 1 BKB is or means.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Base Knockback is the minimum amount of knockback a move deals.

So it does have less hitstun but probably not by a lot.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Ok. Isnt 1 BKB a huge change in the use of the move, though because even if KBG is high the BKB has a factor on the move right? I guess I just havent noticed a that large a change in DED thus far so Im surprised to see that there was such a big change.

Magus420

Smash Master
I don't think any of those BKB things are correct. You're confusing it with shield damage of something. Are you comparing the pacs using PSA 0.2.1 with one and 1.3 for the other?

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I don't think any of those BKB things are correct. You're confusing it with shield damage of something. Are you comparing the pacs using PSA 0.2.1 with one and 1.3 for the other?
Using the same PSA. The shield damage seems unchanged, so unless I'm looking at something very wrong........

Magus420

Smash Master
You must be mixing it up somehow, as the move would become completely non-functional with BKBs dropped to <5 and no WDSK. I checked a few of them myself and the BKB is unchanged, and the shield damage matches what you listed the new BKB as being.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
You must be mixing it up somehow, as the move would become completely non-functional with BKBs dropped to <5 and no WDSK. I checked a few of them myself and the BKB is unchanged, and the shield damage matches what you listed the new BKB as being.
I feel like I'm not, I'll double check.

Top Bottom