• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3/30 Hard Knocks Brawl RESULTS!

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Does Dumpster know about seeding charts?

Monthly tournaments tend to have higher turnout when there is a seeding chart to climb. (I think)

I wonder if his tournament program has the resource to use a seeding chart...?

Also, Dumpster needs to pay a few more places and even out the pot distribution if the turnout is that big next time.

Paying to top 3 only flys well with under 60 people. 80 people should pay out to top 4, and 100 people should pay the two 5th places (even if it's hardly more than their money back.)

That would likely make the crowd happier.

Hopefully we can get the tournament as big next time, and hopefully we can discuss more things with him about the fairest rulesets (regarding 2/3 and 3/5 sets, and time limits) before the next tournament.

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
First and foremost, i'd like to thank Dumpster for having us there, and for throwing a fun tourney even though the long wait times and the some tv's sucked with lag. I had fun seeing old some old faces and just hangin out all day.

TNT: is tooo ****, best match of the tourney was the falcon dittos skratch and I had for 3rd place. hahhaha II good.
Best placing kirby goes to Sheerrrrr gaynessss truuuuuuuuuu
OTRU almost beat icekid!! gasp

Nexus: my ****ing favorite crew, you guys are so ****ing hilarious, and so chill to hang out with, i'll see you all at the nxt tourney.

WATO:
Zoro: I love you too buddy (no homo) and those matches were II intense, you truly are a great smasher.
HBOX!!! - I dont thiink you found your character yet, when you do, you shall ****.

MELBORING (the city, not the crew): Vijin your DDD ****ing rocks I watched some of your games, and I was rootin for ya!
Angry - has the angriest mario for sure. it's so agressive and combo friendly.
Dguy- MANn!! you almost had it against iceDOOD, great games we were all cheering you on.
DesertKing/RFX: where you at??

CULADAR: didn't see all your matches but it was nice to hang out with u guys thorughout the day.
Proteus: sick wario, congrats on placing so high out of 128 ppl.

UCF Crew:
Fenrir: dont epic phail with ike at gigs!!!!, ike is a manly beast that should take on any opponent in his way. (except for tLink, and ***limar.) But I did see some of your matches and you were beasting it up, good ****.
BANE: "SMOKING HANDS" HOSTESS" LIL DEBBIES!" "OUT!" good luck in the finals at cali.
i know you'll make it
MAXXX - Good job placing high with snake, your projectiles and mindgames are up there with the best smashers in FL at the moment. Keep ****** at future tournies.
OJMAD?- where were you?

Redbull girls and hot employees: thanks for the redbull! and nexus and I got to check out that lazer tag ****, its ****ing **** we should all go one day.

Last but not least...
IceDOOD: I never even got the chance to play ya. but you calld it before the tourney started and you did win, so ya i give you props. you really know how to exploit all of olimars greatness and gayness. enjoy the 900.
Afro Thundaaa: hardest and gayest match I played was with you, but you **** with DDD. lol close as games. I have no idea how you brought it back, maybe I just got too comfortable, good **** placing 2nd, hope to see you at gigs. I want my revenge.

If I forgot you, then im sorry but see you at next gigs.

.D0c.

Smash Cadet
A friend of mine that works at Hard Knocks told me that they probably wouldn't be doing this again in the future. I doubt that they hardly made any profit from this giving out almost 70-80 percent of the entrance fee to the winners. Not including any deductions in the amount of resources the company used to host the event. But I hope their wrong...

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
Hiro-flav: don't epicly fail at Gigs...back up your talk with a good showing. that'd be good.
lol, you just gained mad points cuz your the only one to gimme a shoutout. seriously though, i think im pretty good, but im missing all the tournies so i cant share my greatness, lol. but i need to play more. so i can keep up with all the good peeps at tournies.

-hiro

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Fenrir: dont epic phail with ike at gigs!!!!, ike is a manly beast that should take on any opponent in his way. (except for tLink, and ***limar.) But I did see some of your matches and you were beasting it up, good ****.
I like Ike vs Olimar...but that's just me.

haha...I won't epic fail, though. I lost two really good matches this tourney...plan to do better in the future, but no complaints here.

I played most of my matches against randoms trying not to think...that was fun.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
A friend of mine that works at Hard Knocks told me that they probably wouldn't be doing this again in the future. I doubt that they hardly made any profit from this giving out almost 70-80 percent of the entrance fee to the winners. Not including any deductions in the amount of resources the company used to host the event. But I hope their wrong...
If they don't make money directly off the tournament pot (seems like it was a few hundred bucks), then the money that they make should come from publicity and advertisement of the venue.

If they don't want us all back, we will just all revert to Gigs again, but I think Hard Knocks would do good business having tournaments like these.

I saw quite a few Smash players checking out the computers, the live combat rooms, the consoles and nice TVs, and even saw some playing.

In regards to what they gave to the winners, it was $350 + %60 of the pot.

(minimum)1280-350=930-%60 of (1280?)=$144, which was probably equivalent to their energy bill that day.

.D0c.

Smash Cadet
If they don't make money directly off the tournament pot (seems like it was a few hundred bucks), then the money that they make should come from publicity and advertisement of the venue.

If they don't want us all back, we will just all revert to Gigs again, but I think Hard Knocks would do good business having tournaments like these.

I saw quite a few Smash players checking out the computers, the live combat rooms, the consoles and nice TVs, and even saw some playing.

In regards to what they gave to the winners, it was $350 + %60 of the pot.

(minimum)1280-350=930-%60 of (1280?)=$144, which was probably equivalent to their energy bill that day.
If the winners received a total $1130 and this was based off of $350 + %60 of entry fee pool. Then $1130 - a guaranteed $350 = $780 which would be the %60 entry fee pool.

Making the entry fee pool $1300 since $1300 x 60% = $780

So they earned $1300 - $780 - $350 - third place $10 = $160 in profit.

If their electric bill is equivalent to this then they break even.

Yea they get publicity and advertisement, but all you would need is to do this once for the advertisement, since if they were to run another tournament they would probably attract the same players as before. They had some of the tournament players utilizing other aspects of their business, but they blocked out the day for the tournament and they could have easily made that money by allowing their regulars pay $4 an hour to occupy the T.V.s we were using for over 8 hours. All I'm saying is I didn't see them making much profit out of this, but I could be wrong. My math is probably wrong too, go figure.

Finch

Smash Lord
They don't need to pay out $350 to winners every time. It only cost $10 to enter so they could either lower the prize, which would be perfectly acceptable, or raise the entry fee slightly. Plus they bought Wiis for this, but now that they have them that expense it taken care of. They set the prices, so it was their money to lose. If they want to make a profit it's completely up to them, but there's no reason to give up on smash tournaments.

.D0c.

Smash Cadet
They don't need to pay out $350 to winners every time. It only cost $10 to enter so they could either lower the prize, which would be perfectly acceptable, or raise the entry fee slightly. Plus they bought Wiis for this, but now that they have them that expense it taken care of. They set the prices, so it was their money to lose. If they want to make a profit it's completely up to them, but there's no reason to give up on smash tournaments.
I agree with that. I am just telling you what I heard. I'm not the person running the tournament obviously. Me being a participant I can care less how much profit is being made on their part. I would have loved to win that $900. I'm just stating the reasoning that was given to me.

Icekid

Smash Apprentice
Im down for a $20 tournament fee. $10 to pot $10 for door fee. Means they bank $1280 for the day. And the pot is the ****ing same!

OJMad

Smash Rookie
UCF Crew:
BANE: "SMOKING HANDS" HOSTESS" LIL DEBBIES!" "OUT!" good luck in the finals at cali.
i know you'll make it
MAXXX - Good job placing high with snake, your projectiles and mindgames are up there with the best smashers in FL at the moment. Keep ****** at future tournies.
OJMAD?- where were you?
I was at church, so i couldn't join the tournament. had a special program going on, but next ONE FOR SURE.... you will see MR> Lucario

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Ice Kid - Great jobs taking first place. You're Olimar is definitely amazing. Had a lot of fun playing our set too, good stuff.

Afro Thunder - Good **** man. You are the best Dedede I have ever seen, awesome stuff man. Fun matches both of our sets.

Skrach - A good Sonic? WTF? Skrach for the win. I saw your Sonic going around owning people all over, it was awesome. Your Marth is pretty bawlin too, good stuff man, awesome job on 3rd.

Crom - Your Snake is unreal, your crombos are amazing, good stuff. Really fun set.

XYZ - IKE!!!! Good stuff man for sure, you really held it down. Awesome G&W also.

Col Bol - Didn't see you play any matches, but good stuff anyway ;)

QDVS - Sick Marth, saw a few of your matches, I was impressed.

Angry Lobster - Your Mario and Falcon are awesome.

Vijin - Dedede is too good. Own them Pits.

Pure Korea - Good matches ;)

Fenrir - Cool Ike and Lucario, good shiz.

Otru - Your MK was pretty awesome, had fun watching your matches.

Sheer - Didn't get to see ya play, but I heard you play Kirby.

Zoro - Nasty Toon Link and Sheik man. Good stuff, fun friendlies.

Reno - Saw some of your matches, Metaknight is too good.

Luigi1 - Good stuff man, Luigi holding it down.

Ted Boosley - Impressive Ike, good stuff.

Rohins - Nuff said.

Good matches everybody, fun tourney.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Lol, Fenrir, I still play Jigglypuff, but only when I don't know what else to do :). She still *****.

Good **** to hard knocks for running this tourny, despite some of the problems. It was fun.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
This was a fun tourney, lowest placing for me in awhile (brawl johns >_<), and thanks for all the shoutouts people!!!

I have to give props mainly to Max for some close *** games and owning me with Snake!!!

Mr H is Mario for being seemingly random to almost everyone, and owning us all...it's always cool to see new faces in the top rankings of smash!!!

Icekid for being a pretty cool guy, and winning the tourney!!!

And especially to Crom, for being the first person since I've played this game (brawl) to utterly **** my ****!!!

Everyone I've played at this game I've gone even/*****/lost by a stock or so, but Crom just destroyed me...it actually makes me reconsider how much I need to learn about this new game if I want to do well!!!

Maybe you guys will see me on Wifi more often...we shall see...until Gigs <3 everyone!!!

:colorful:

Mr H is MARIO

Smash Journeyman
This was a fun tourney, lowest placing for me in awhile (brawl johns >_<), and thanks for all the shoutouts people!!!

I have to give props mainly to Max for some close *** games and owning me with Snake!!!

Mr H is Mario for being seemingly random to almost everyone, and owning us all...it's always cool to see new faces in the top rankings of smash!!!
Icekid for being a pretty cool guy, and winning the tourney!!!

And especially to Crom, for being the first person since I've played this game (brawl) to utterly **** my ****!!!

Everyone I've played at this game I've gone even/*****/lost by a stock or so, but Crom just destroyed me...it actually makes me reconsider how much I need to learn about this new game if I want to do well!!!

Maybe you guys will see me on Wifi more often...we shall see...until Gigs <3 everyone!!!

:colorful:
I think everyone should have a afro for gigabits.

Sighrax

Smash Lord
F

Nexus: my ****ing favorite crew, you guys are so ****ing hilarious, and so chill to hang out with, i'll see you all at the nxt tourney.

it's good to be back. dang i gotta start going back to the gym so we can arm wrestle or do some sweet *** gymnastics.

also hungrybox i found 10 dollars on the floor as soon as i walked in and i was like im not going to ask 160+ people if they lost it. if it was yours, my bad. but it should not have been dropped~! :embarrass

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
it's good to be back. dang i gotta start going back to the gym so we can arm wrestle or do some sweet *** gymnastics.

also hungrybox i found 10 dollars on the floor as soon as i walked in and i was like im not going to ask 160+ people if they lost it. if it was yours, my bad. but it should not have been dropped~! :embarrass
aww ****....

Thanks so much man.

I was gonna annoounce it but i'm like "who would return $10?"

I'd like to have it back at gigs, but

if you already spent it then w/e.

BossMagnet

Smash Apprentice
Hey! I finally uploaded all the videos from finals at Hard Knocks!
They are all on Rx-'s youtube account NuclearSheep
Here are the links...

Loser Finals: Skrach vs Afro Thunder
1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=zgMyAgingos
2. http://youtube.com/watch?v=wK6qmPfFeS8
3. http://youtube.com/watch?v=_xiBs1ty6bU

Grand Finals: Icekid vs Afro Thunder (That's what we call him now, right?) :)
1st Set:
1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=IHbLG2Knmt8
2. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ITEM5ev3_SE
3. http://youtube.com/watch?v=CCC9NLtJBD4
4. http://youtube.com/watch?v=xz_w0GwEBlw

2nd Set:
1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rq59mYg5Xyo
2. http://youtube.com/watch?v=u-yLTi87pRk
3. http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5mjQKfHhy4
4. http://youtube.com/watch?v=gGO-dCaazRg

They were really great matches... so you should check them out.

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
it was great seeing all the old faces and chillin with you guys. That being said, I can't be more glad I do not play Smash in general competitively anymore. The style and standard of game has gone to ****. I honestly cannot stand brawl. Only time i've enjoyed it is when I am not sober. Only thing that I saw at the tourney that was remotely impressive was the DDD/Snake kid doing some pretty sick combos with snake and really manipulating all of snakes moveset. You can quote me on saying that you will be number 1 in due enough time. In any case, glad to see noob testament doing well. Keep that noob name alive lol.

Top Bottom