• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event 2GG: Kongo Saga - Discussion Thread

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Ki:ultsnake: 2-0 Sonido:ultsonic: (out at 97th)
Ross:ultlink: 2-1 MastaMario:ultmario: (out at 65th)
Klaatu:ultolimar: 2-1 Abadango:ultpalutena::ultwario: (out at 65th)
てぃんくる 2-1 Charliedaking:ultwolf: (out at 65th)
Lui$:ultfox::ultmario: 2-1 VoiD:ultpichu::ultsheik: (out at 65th)
KiraFlax:ultdarkpit::ultrob: 2-0 varun:ultwiifittrainer: (out at 65th)

According to Twitch Chat (take it with a grain of salt):
quik:ultsamus: wins over KEN:ultsonic: (out at 65th)
ProtoBanham:ultlucina: wins over Nicko:ultshulk: (out at 33rd)

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
KEN confirmed on his Twitter that he lost to quiK. Don't know about Nicko/Proto tho.

In other news, T :ultlink: 3-1s zackray :ultjoker: after zackray made an unfortunate preemptive shield drop against Link's FSmash in Game 4.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Aaaand Sheik once again costs VoiD another tourney placement.
We are not sure if that is what VoiD used against Lui$, but yeah...

Goblin :ultroy: 3-1s Big D :ulticeclimbers::ultkingdedede:. The DDD counterpick turned out to be disastrous for Big D.
After game 1, in which Big D easily won, Goblin downloaded him hard and kind of bodied him at games 2 and 3. The Dedede counterpick wasn't too much worse for him at that point (not sure when was the last time he went Dedede, as he was easily dropping confirms).

Iridium

Smash Hero
I've never felt any happier watching this tourney right now, this is both T's and Link's best performance at an S-tier yet.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
We are not sure if that is what VoiD used against Lui$, but yeah...

After game 1, in which Big D easily won, Goblin downloaded him hard and kind of bodied him at games 2 and 3. The Dedede counterpick wasn't too much worse for him at that point (not sure when was the last time he went Dedede, as he was easily dropping confirms).
I get it, VoiD likes Sheik and fits his playstyle but even a player of his skill is struggling to make her work.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Locus :ult_terry::ultridley: 3-2 Firehao :ultdiddy::ultsnake: for 49th place.

not exactly an upset but Locus hasn’t really been to majors and Firehao was on a roll in Losers.

Edit: Ned :ultpokemontrainer: 3-2 Nairo :ultpalutena:

now that’s what I call an upset!

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
The saga curse continues.

Highest placing:
:ultbanjokazooie: Trela (49th place)
:ultdiddy: FireHao / Legit (49th place)
:ultdk: Runes (49th place)
:ultkrool: KirbyKid (65th place)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ProtoBanham:ultlucina: 3-0 Nicko:ultshulk: (out at 33rd)
Ned:ultpokemontrainer: 3-2 Nairo:ultpalutena:
Edit: Big D:ulticeclimbers: 3-2 Eon:ultjoker::ultfox: (out at 33rd)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According SmashWiki:
VoiD indeed used solo :ultsheik:. Not too surprised...
Abadango used solo :ultpalutena:.
Apparently, Stroder used :ultrichter::ultroy:.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
This is looking like a Japanese tournament with all the upsets going around, and not even Nairo is safe from it.

On a side note, quiK :ultsamus: 3-?s Sparg0 :ultcloud::ultinkling: to eliminate him at 49th place.
Tickle :ultdiddy: 3-1s Razo :ultpeach: to eliminate him at 49th place.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I get it, VoiD likes Sheik and fits his playstyle but even a player of his skill is struggling to make her work.
Y'all realize he probably used all three of his chars like always, right? Who did you expect him to use - Pichu?

Beyond that, there's more he could have done with his Sheik, from my understanding.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Y'all realize he probably used all three of his chars like always, right? Who did you expect him to use - Pichu?

Beyond that, there's more he could have done with his Sheik, from my understanding.
Take it with a grain of salt but I've heard he used mostly Sheik.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
According to his tweet after he got knocked out, it was mainly an issue of all three of his chars not being good for matches he played
I hope he comes back up next year, it's sad to see what has become of him lately.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Top 32

Winner's
MkLeo:ultjoker: vs Umeki:ultdaisy:
Maister:ultgnw: vs Tea:ultpacman:
T:ultlink: vs Gackt:ultness:
Dabuz:ultolimar: vs Rivers:ultchrom:
Ned:ultpokemontrainer: vs WaDi:ultrob:
Glutonny:ultwario: vs Light:ultfox:
Samsora:ultpeach: vs Goblin:ultroy:
Tweek:ultjoker::ultwario: vs Shuton:ultolimar:

Loser's
Lea:ultgreninja: vs Wrath:ultsonic:
Kuro:ultzss: vs Klaatu:ultolimar:
Zackray:ultrob::ultjoker: 3-1 Kola:ultroy:
ProtoBanham:ultlucina::ultinkling: vs Kome:ultshulk:
Nairo:ultpalutena: 3-0 Pandarian:ultpokemontrainerf:
Cosmos:ultinkling: vs Fatality:ultfalcon:
Shogun:ultsnake: 3-1 Locus:ult_terry::ultridley:
Big D:ulticeclimbers: vs Kameme:ultmegaman:

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Locus :ult_terry: eliminated at 25th by Shogun :ultsnake:

Pretty good run for Terry's first S-tier.

Iridium

Smash Hero
The saga curse continues.

Highest placing:
:ultbanjokazooie: Trela (49th place)
:ultdiddy: FireHao / Legit (49th place)
:ultdk: Runes (49th place)
:ultkrool: KirbyKid (65th place)

ProtoBanham:ultlucina: 3-0 Nicko:ultshulk: (out at 33rd)
Ned:ultpokemontrainer: 3-2 Nairo:ultpalutena:
Edit: Big D:ulticeclimbers: 3-2 Eon:ultjoker::ultfox: (out at 33rd)

According SmashWiki:
VoiD indeed used solo :ultsheik:. Not too surprised...
Abadango used solo :ultpalutena:.
Apparently, Stroder used :ultrichter::ultroy:.
Actually, Twinkle who just lost to Fatality for 33rd, is a Japanese Diddy Kong main, so that's as far as he goes.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Tea :ultpacman: 3-0s Maister :ultgnw:
Lea :ultgreninja: 3-0s Wrath :ultsonic:, eliminating him at 25th place.
WaDi :ultrob: 3-0s Ned :ultpokemontrainerf::ultroy:
T :ultlink: 3-0s Gackt :ultness:
Gluttony :ultwario: 3-2s Light :ultfox:
MKLeo :ultjoker: 3-0s Umeki :ultdaisy:
zackray :ultjoker: 3-1s Kola :ultroy:, eliminating him at 25th place.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Tweek :ultjoker::ultwolf: 3-2 Shuton :ultolimar: getting the reverse 3-0 with Wolf.

Tweek reallt wants to make Joker work, yet his other characters have been getting him though the top 128 of this tournament so far

Wolf has basically cemented himself as the bane of Olimar's existence

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Maister :ultgnw: barely gets the reversal against Shogun :ultsnake::ultfox: in a very close game 5 set.

I know I should be happy for Maister, but Shogun easily has the best movement I've seen out of any Snake. He literally makes him look like Wario with how evasive he is, and he got almost every callout he could against Maister.

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Kome :ultshulk: 3-0 ProtoBanHam :ultlucina::ultinkling:(not sure which one he used), eliminating Proto at 25th.
Cosmos :ultinkling: 3-2 Fatality :ultfalcon:, eliminating Fatality at 25th.
Goblin :ultroy: 3-2 Kuro :ultzss:, eliminating Kuro at 17th.
Kome :ultshulk: 3-1 Ned :ultpokemontrainerf:, eliminating Ned at 17th and securing a spot for Shulk in Top 16.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Tweek :ultjoker::ultwolf: 3-2 Shuton :ultolimar: getting the reverse 3-0 with Wolf.

Tweek reallt wants to make Joker work, yet his other characters have been getting him though the top 128 of this tournament so far

Wolf has basically cemented himself as the bane of Olimar's existence
I think Joker isn't the character for him. It seems like Joker just doesn't fit his play style. His Wolf and PT are much better.

I hope people will finally start to realise that there are many factors that go into being a good player and winning games, and that picking up a good character doesn't equal easy, automatic wins. What I'm trying to say is the whole "Joker is broken" narrative is so brainless . A person's play style, skill level, character skill ceiling, how easy/hard they are to master, etc are very important.

Going by Twitch chat, I guess that flew over most people's heads.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
T :ultlink: 3-1 Dabuz :ultolimar::ultpalutena:

T IS IN TOP 8 WINNERS SIDE

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Top 16

Winner's
MkLeo:ultjoker: 3-1 Tea:ultpacman:
T:ultlink: 3-1 Dabuz:ultolimar:
WaDi:ultrob: vs Glutonny:ultwario:
Samsora:ultpeach: vs Tweek:ultjoker::ultwolf::ultwario:

Loser's
Lea:ultgreninja: vs Goblin:ultroy:
Light:ultfox: vs Kome:ultshulk:
Nairo:ultpalutena: vs Gackt:ultness:
Maister:ultgnw: vs Kameme:ultmegaman:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Talk about the sleeper hit of this tournament; I know he would get far, but defeating both Dabuz and Zackray AND guaranteed in Top 8?. That's a first for Link, if I recall.

Iridium

Smash Hero
T just keeps winning...now Leo will be a tough demon to beat. Hopefully he gets another big win, this already feels like Civil War all over again.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Nario :ultpalutena:3-0 Gackt :ultness: out at 13th

Ness is baiscally falling into the same fate as Smash 4. A very solid and viable character, that is cursed to be gatekept hard by 1-2 certian top tier characters

Still a impressive showing by Gackt though

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Nario :ultpalutena:3-0 Gackt :ultness: out at 13th

Ness is baiscally falling into the same fate as Smash 4. A very solid and viable character, that is cursed to be gatekept hard by 1-2 certian top tier characters

Still a impressive showing by Gackt though
To be fair while you aren’t wrong it was Nario, top five player through his competitive history in smash against Gackt who isn’t even on PGR. Nario probably would win with most of his characters. Gackt was able to beat Kome’s Shulk who is wholeheartedly a worst MU for Ness and bagged a Cosmos and VoiD win as well.

For being a “run of the mill” mid tier like a lot of people would tell you, Ness for sure continues to get good wins and placements at all types of tournaments consistently.

With how Gackt was doing I think if he ran into any Palu not named Nario I think he could had pulled it out.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Top 8

Winner's
MkLeo:ultjoker: vs T:ultlink:
Glutonny:ultwario: vs Tweek:ultwario::ultjoker::ultwolf:

Loser's
Lea:ultgreninja: vs Light:ultfox:
Samsora:ultpeach: vs Maister:ultgnw:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Speaking of milestones, :ultgreninja: has made it to his first Top 8 at an S Tier thanks to Lea, who swiftly 3-0'd Dabuz :ultolimar::ultrosalina: to make it there; it was only a matter of time.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
That Maister-T set was a literal repeat of the last time they fought (at PSG Classic), from the steamrolling to even the :ultchrom: switch from T game 3; I think T will need more experience on the match-up, but nonetheless he had a phenomenal run.

Maister :ultgnw: 3-0s T :ultlink::ultchrom: to eliminate him at a very respectable 5th place.

How fitting that our last S-Tier event for the season has Tweek squaring up against MKLeo again in Winner's Finals.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Maister :ultgnw: 3-0 Light :ultfox::ultwolf:

Game and Watch vs Fox is so miserable for fox, the switch almost worked for light.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Dang, Tweek did such a good job of getting into Maister's head after Game 1; he had him playing super nervously during those last hit situations and managed to perfectly weave around GnW's kill options.

Tweek :ultwario::ultpokemontrainerf: 3-1s Maister :ultgnw: to eliminate him at a very impressive 3rd place.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
2GG: Kongo Saga (S Tier)

1st: MkLeo:ultjoker:
2nd: Tweek:ultwario::ultjoker::ultwolf:
3rd: Maister:ultgnw:
4th: Light:ultfox:
5th: Glutonny:ultwario:
5th: T:ultlink:
7th: Lea:ultgreninja:
7th: Samsora:ultpeach:
9th: Dabuz:ultolimar::ultpalutena:
9th: Tea:ultpacman::ultdk:
9th: Nairo:ultpalutena::ultzss:
9th: WaDi:ultrob:
13th: Kome:ultshulk:
13th: Goblin:ultroy:
13th: Gackt:ultness:
13th: Kameme:ultmegaman:
17th: Zackray:ultjoker::ultmario::ultrob:
17th: Cosmos:ultinkling:
17th: Shuton:ultolimar:
17th: Rivers:ultchrom::ultdiddy:
17th: Umeki:ultdaisy:
17th: Shogun:ultsnake:
17th: Ned:ultpokemontrainer:
17th: Kuro:ultzss:
25th: Fatality:ultfalcon:
25th: Big D:ulticeclimbers:
25th: ProtoBanham:ultlucina:
25th: Wrath:ultsonic:
25th: Klaatu:ultolimar:
25th: Locus:ult_terry::ultridley::ultken::ultrichter:
25th: Pandarian:ultpokemontrainerf:
25th: Kola:ultroy::ultcloud:
33rd: Riddles:ult_terry:
33rd: Twinkle:ultdiddy:
33rd: Nietono:ultpichu:
33rd: Suarez:ultyoshi:
33rd: Raito:ultduckhunt::ultbanjokazooie:
33rd: quiK:ultsamus:
33rd: Mr E:ultlucina:
33rd: Nito:ultken:
33rd: Eon:ultjoker:
33rd: Nicko:ultshulk:
33rd: ZekeTRP:ultyoshi:
33rd: Myran:ultolimar:
33rd: ven:ultzelda:
33rd: OmegaRugal:ultjoker:
33rd: T3 Dom:ultrichter:
33rd: Tsu:ultlucario::ult_terry:

Firox

Smash Master
I think Joker isn't the character for him. It seems like Joker just doesn't fit his play style. His Wolf and PT are much better.

I hope people will finally start to realise that there are many factors that go into being a good player and winning games, and that picking up a good character doesn't equal easy, automatic wins. What I'm trying to say is the whole "Joker is broken" narrative is so brainless . A person's play style, skill level, character skill ceiling, how easy/hard they are to master, etc are very important.

Going by Twitch chat, I guess that flew over most people's heads.
I can seriously testify to this. I've been a Greninja main since sm4sh, and while I would say I'm reasonably good with him (I've won several online/local tournaments and made Elite Smash with him, for what it's worth), I've been pretty frustrated with my lack of results against the more competitive crowd. That said, I figured I'd pick up Joker since he seemed to play similar to Greninja and I really liked his overall kit. Being "high tier" I thought that he'd be relatively easy to get results with. I studied the pros, learned all the combos and tech, and practiced vigorously to get good with him, but after 50+ hours of training with him, I STILL get consistently better results with Greninja and Wolf. I think my biggest issue with Joker is his often painfully low amount of reach and general lack of kill options without Arsene. I feel I'm decently good with him, but there's just no getting around the fact that some characters just click in ways that other won't no matter how "high tier" others may make them look. To anyone that thinks Joker is "braindead" or "broken", try picking him up. Take on some legitimately tough opponents and you'll see it's a hell of a lot harder than MKLeo makes it look.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I watched this on youtube and was really impressed by Light's performance. He had some of the most nail biting game 5 sets but pulled through in the end vs some top international talent. On another note, Tweek's back with Wario and IMO he does best with him. But Tweek still hasn't managed to join the ranks of players who can take a set of MKLeo. Tweek should have switched to PT after winning 2 games with Wario because that's when Leo downloads him.

Top Bottom