• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

----------

Chaco

Never Logs In
Holy ****, Shiri. I'll read this while I'm eating lunch in a bit.

Depster

Smash Champion
That's deep.

So what I'm getting from this, is that at the start of a match, you're going to want to brickwall so you can start reading your opponent first and get a quick lead, then start Yomi from there and play the match out?

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok, so why aren't you the best yoshi?!?!

i learn more and more and begin to see all games in another way because of you.... and the sad part is, i can envision spacing a little more after envisioning the lasers in the example above. good ****, shiri. i want to talk to you more; i don't see you in the yoshi chat or anything... T_T

edit: yay, 600th post. =P

Airborne

Smash Lord
:yoshi:
Because I don't travel. D:
well you should come to the midwest, try some excellent pizza from donatos, and play some games with us! =D we have some good players, and since we most likely won't see michigan, there will be friendly people all around! XD

note: there are some cool people in michigan (judge, anther, scala, etc)....

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
OoOOoo. I definately liked reading that. Gets me thinking straighter, I feel. It really helps me understand why things work and happen the way they do during matches. I think it's a good read, personally.

On a side note, can anyone direct me to understand this "Yomi" better? I feel like I've heard it used before but haven't a clue what it is.

Also, I've been lurking the Yoshi boards as of late, and they seem as if they are more awesome somehow. Like things just seem to flow around here? Maybe it's just me!

:yoshi:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Good read. I love reading all of your essay-type things. Shiri is on a plain of knowledge higher than the rest of us mortals!

Monkley forgot to put "Copyright of Shiri" next to the Yoshi sprite. He's gonna get it!

:027:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Which is true in my case. Smash is the only fighting game I play and I'm just getting into the competitive aspect now in Brawl. I do pride myself in being a quick learner. ;D

Also, I was totally mindgamed by the title just now.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Change the title back, please. We don't need to pay respects using misleading thread titles.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Moving back on subject.....

I didn't read the essay shiri wrote cuz the title pretty much gave it away and I've seen multiple threads like these. Yoshi can set up extremely loosely fabricated walls with egg toss; this does not work the entire match. His more "walling" move would be Bair and simply for it's range. Yoshi really isn't much of a waller because his attacks have such low priority. Yoshi is more of a trickster; this is the only thing he truly masters in. Yoshi has a mediocre aggressive game, a mediocre defensive game, a fantastic grab game (aside from the fact that his grabs do so little), a poor OoS game, and a fantastic "trap" game.

So basically yoshi is a jack of all trades and a master of none, as someone in another thread pointed out. For mindgames, yoshi relies on recovery tricks (this includes double jump tricks), full hop and short hop tricks, egg lay tricks (big time), grab tricks, and ledge tricks. Basically yoshi only excels in tricks and once your opponent figures this out you're pretty much screwed.

Some characters like marth and mk are able to deal with our tricks a lot better than other characters, which is why both matchups are worse than 40:60 (although I'd personally like to see bwett's matchup summary for marth first). Yoshi is pretty much a character that can be played very differently because of his tricks, but most yoshies contain the same key elements within their styles, no matter how fancy they get with DR. We all ETS. We all Bair to up tilt/forward tilt. We all tend to use up air or up smash for finishers. Etc etc.

This is one big reason yoshi will always remain in low tier, his approaches and camp game are highly restricted to certain attacks and his options are therefore limited. His mindgames are what save him from being as bad as say samus but they are not enough to bring him up to middle tier (I'm making sure that people still don't think we are crazy and that we don't think he his middle tier material).

Luckily yoshi isn't stuck in a metagame rut like ROB, but mainly because so little people play him very well (acey, bwett, stocky, pride). We don't really know how far his metagame will go and this is why doing research into DR is useful (despite how much I bash on it). While it's useless now, who knows what it can do in the future. Anyways that's all I got for now lol.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I can't really think of an unpunishable move for yoshi. Jab is punishable at low %'s but you can abuse the crap out of it at mid-high %'s. Up smash is very punishable unless you do it right (which is how all moves work btw), up tilt can be pretty hard to punish and really well spaced Bairs and Pivot Grabs can be hard to punish if done correctly. But this doesn't make them unpunishable ;o

auroreon

Smash Ace
I didn't read the essay shiri wrote
Sorry Meta, but thats one of the stupidest things I've ever read.
How can you possibly address an issue if you haven't actually read it. And most of what you said was just really basic 'stating the obvious' stuff.

Oh, and I think we all get it now, you think Yoshi is useless.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Sorry Meta, but thats one of the stupidest things I've ever read.
How can you possibly address an issue if you haven't actually read it. And most of what you said was just really basic 'stating the obvious' stuff.

Oh, and I think we all get it now, you think Yoshi is useless.
Far from it, yoshi has limitations, he is not jigglypuff (useless). Do you know how many of these "brickwall" threads I've seen? They're popping up everywhere, just like the "confessions of a _____ main" popped up everywhere before social threads were allowed again.

bigman40

Smash Master
Far from it, yoshi has limitations, he is not jigglypuff (useless). Do you know how many of these "brickwall" threads I've seen? They're popping up everywhere, just like the "confessions of a _____ main" popped up everywhere before social threads were allowed again.
YOU made the confessions thread...... >___>

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
That is a good example of Brickwalling, especially in Round 1 of that vid. Rufus could not do anything thru the barrage of Tiger Shots. Rufus did adjust to the projectiles a bit in Round 2, but Sagat is too overwhelming. Sagat could do that to the majority, if not all, of the cast, even at the highest level (to some extent).

Yoshi can brickwall, but only if his opponent isn't good enough to adjust. Like Shiri says though, why stop if they haven't adjusted.

:093: REAL TALK

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
That match was just insane. What a wall. D-Torr pretty much said what I was going to say.

And the point of the brickwall is for it to be overcome, if I remember what Shiri wrote correctly. If they can't beat it, then you'll just win. If they can beat it, then Yomi begins.

Top Bottom