• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

22 new comers...... characters coming fast.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
And what if Smash Balls are considered an item, and tourney's require us to turn items off? Then what?
Then we wouldn't use her in tourneys? Tourney rules don't impact a characters status. You can't say that items are not a part of the game or that certain stages aren't meant to be just because we don't use them. Zamus isn't any less of a character regardless of the way tourneys are played.

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
Remember Kor, we have yet to see the back of the boxart...

I think all the characters confirmed on the site sans Sonic, Snake, and DeDeDe will be starter. Those, and Captain Falcon.

DarthBrittinias

Smash Apprentice
Then we wouldn't use her in tourneys? Tourney rules don't impact a characters status. You can't say that items are not a part of the game or that certain stages aren't meant to be just because we don't use them. Zamus isn't any less of a character regardless of the way tourneys are played.
Agreed. She is her own character, regardless of what requirements put her into the match. (which we still don't know if there's a way to select her from the beginning. Maybe she's unlockable through the subspace emissary?) Once she's in, she can be played for the remainder of the match, unlike Pokemon Trainer, who is forced to switch out his Pokemon during the course of the game.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
Oh I know.

I'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to show Pluvia that his logic is poor.

I never wanted to have this stupid arguement anyway... like I said when this whole thing was brought up, we don't have enough information in either direction to state one way or the other.

@Zoolander, Oh I know... I fully expect the back of the box to contain starters as well. I probably would have mentioned that if I wasn't insulted so abruptly.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
it sounds logical that you would be able to choose her first, since we know she can turn back into regular Samus.

Woner when we'll see C. Falcon... or Dr. Mario...
=2007=
we all agree dr. mario is more awesome than mario but trust me, he's not gonna make it. maybe as an alt. costume.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
so you think that DK and the ice climbers are unlockable? wow.
Reason #1 why I hate this board.

No one ever reads... everyone demands you listen...

Bajef... if you'd be so kind as to look at the post directly above you...

You know what, here I'll go ahead and just quote it:

I fully expect the back of the box to contain starters as well
Of course... expecting you to actually read it is about as smart as giving an infant a buzzsaw.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Oh I know.

I'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to show Pluvia that his logic is poor.

I never wanted to have this stupid arguement anyway... like I said when this whole thing was brought up, we don't have enough information in either direction to state one way or the other.

@Zoolander, Oh I know... I fully expect the back of the box to contain starters as well. I probably would have mentioned that if I wasn't insulted so abruptly.
My argument is the exact same thing as his. He just said basically everything I was saying. You can't just contradict yourself just to disagree with me.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
It seems dumb to assume that every single character confirmed on the dojo so far will be a starter. I have never bought a smash game that I didn't know the entire roster before the game's release. Sakurai knows that, via the internet, people will find these things out before the release date anyways, since the release dates are different all around the world.

IMO, showing who is playable, while really it's exciting info, it isn't really a huge spoiler, especially for this game. Since this time around we have a full-on story mode, I think the real spoilers will be in the story, not in the playable characters.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
So you think that there's less starters than in Melee?
Yes.

Because everyone knows that a game with unlockables is generally fun as hell.

Look at Mario kart DS. people love unlockables.
i did read this thread and i also read the above. you say you thing there will be less starters in brawl than in melee and there are 11 on the front box-art. so that means if DK and ice climbers are on the back, that is 13--less than 14(melee). which then let me rephrase; you don't think capt. falcon or ness will be starters along with a few select others?

Kor

Smash Apprentice
i did read this thread and i also read the above. you say you thing there will be less starters in brawl than in melee and there are 11 on the front box-art. so that means if DK and ice climbers are on the back, that is 13--less than 14(melee). which then let me rephrase; you don't think capt. falcon or ness will be starters along with a few select others?
I appreciate you reading, thank you.

To answer your question, I do.

I think Falcon and Ness will be unlockable. I have absolutely nothing to base this off of, other than a guess, and maybe some scrapped up logic, but thats about it.

HuskytheGeek

Smash Journeyman
I think Falcon and Ness will be unlockable. I have absolutely nothing to base this off of, other than a guess, and maybe some scrapped up logic, but thats about it.
They were unlockables in the first game and none of the unlockables from 64 or Melee have been confirmed yet...

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I appreciate you reading, thank you.

To answer your question, I do.

so you even think that zero of the 4 newcomers that were shown as soon as brawl was heard about are going to be unlockable? Excluidng zamus since she is playable via samus FS.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
so you even think that zero of the 4 newcomers that were shown as soon as brawl was heard about are going to be unlockable? Excluidng zamus since she is playable via samus FS.
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but I'll try to answer.

Yes, I believe that Pit, Wario, Metaknight and Pokemon Trainer will be starters.

@Husky, I really don't get what you're saying, are you trying to be sarcastic?

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but I'll try to answer.

Yes, I believe that Pit, Wario, Metaknight and Pokemon Trainer will be starters.

@Husky, I really don't get what you're saying, are you trying to be sarcastic?
alright that answered me thanks, but i meant snake not PT. i was talking about the 5 new characters that were shown when everyone first heard brawl was being made. then i said excluding zamus since shes playable through samus like i said earlier.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Melee: Peach/Mario/Bowser = starters, Luigi unlockable.
It also had 4 Pokemon characters.

Im not saying it's likley that the 3 current Kirby characters will be starters or that another Kirby character will be unlockable. I am just saying it's possible.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
alright that answered me thanks, but i meant snake not PT. i was talking about the 5 new characters that were shown when everyone first heard brawl was being made. then i said excluding zamus since shes playable through samus like i said earlier.
Sorry, I glanced at what I'm considering to be the box art, and it messed me up. :p

I consider snake to be an unlocked character.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
Personally I feel I would be overwhelmed with 24 (or 22 or 23, whatever) starters. :p

I'd rather start with a handful, and work up to the bigger number. Even if it was something as simple as.

You beat Petey, You can now play as Zelda.
You beat level 2, you can now play as Donkey Kong.

Or whatever.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Personally I feel I would be overwhelmed with 24 (or 22 or 23, whatever) starters. :p

I'd rather start with a handful, and work up to the bigger number. Even if it was something as simple as.

You beat Petey, You can now play as Zelda.
You beat level 2, you can now play as Donkey Kong.

Or whatever.

Haha. That's true. It would make sense too. But hopefully there is a buttload of secret characters that they won't show before the game comes out so we can still get a few surprises while we are playing the game.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Due to the way Subspace Mode is panning out, I don't think it's too farfetched to believe that a great number of characters will be unlockable, even revealed ones on the Dojo. Perhaps beating that character's "chapter" will unlock them, which would greatly ease the process of unlocking, and allow for unlocks galore without being over the top.

Who knows? Falcon and Ness were here from the get-go in Melee, but not Luigi and Jiggly. I have a pretty big feeling all four of them are going to be unlockables this time, as a throwback to SBB64.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Sorry, I glanced at what I'm considering to be the box art, and it messed me up. :p

I consider snake to be an unlocked character.
i don't disagree with you there either. i knew snake would be unlockable and he was only put on the site since we've seen him already. i think sonic was put on because it was just that obvious he'd be in because sakurai stated that tops there would be 1 or 2 more third-parties besides snake.

I believe all of the ones that are going to be shown on the site are going to be starters. Atleast I hope so. It would really ruin the whole game if they gave away all the secret characters. :/
i agree. i don't want the surprise of all characters being revealed. i myself am staying of the internet when brawl is released in japan because i know i'll find out the character roster before i get it. i wish dedede wasn't shown either. i would have liked playing and then seeing: CHALLENGER APPROACHING! outline of dedede; WOOT dedede FTW! but oh well.

Revven

FrankerZ
IMO, the starting roster will cap around 21 but won't have the characters: Snake, Lucas, Sonic, and Dedede there and in place of them we would have C. Falcon, Luigi, Ness, and Jigglypuff. Just my thoughts, I think they deserve to be starters and let some of the newcomers be the unlockables (and some of the veterans from Melee remain unlockable which would likely be: Falco, Ganondorf, G&W, Marth, and Mewtwo). Then the unlockables would look something like this: Ridley (possible, could be a boss but Dedede's inclusion kind of counters that), Lucario, Animal Crossing Character (possible, not saying it'll happen), Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Sonic, Snake, Lucas, King Dedede, WW Link (or another Zelda character), G&W, Falco, Krystal, Megaman/any other third party, and maybe two more (I don't really keep up with who was on the poll at the top so forgive me if I forgot anyone important).

IMO.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Due to the way Subspace Mode is panning out, I don't think it's too farfetched to believe that a great number of characters will be unlockable, even revealed ones on the Dojo. Perhaps beating that character's "chapter" will unlock them, which would greatly ease the process of unlocking, and allow for unlocks galore without being over the top.

Who knows? Falcon and Ness were here from the get-go in Melee, but not Luigi and Jiggly. I have a pretty big feeling all four of them are going to be unlockables this time, as a throwback to SBB64.

Yah, I'm pretty sure characters like Ness will be hidden at first, so people can be depressed at first that not all the long-running veterans aren't back, but then when they unexpectedly unlock them it's like: "WOOOOOO!!! The old-timers are back!" :D

Kor

Smash Apprentice
I dunno. I'm afraid that the site really will reveal all, when it comes to characters atleast.

Which is why I plan on removing myself from Smash Bros. related internet from Xmas and beyond.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I dunno. I'm afraid that the site really will reveal all, when it comes to characters atleast.

Which is why I plan on removing myself from Smash Bros. related internet from Xmas and beyond.
yeah i guess i'll just start with xmas instead if right before it comes out in Japan since they might keep revealing secrets *cough* dedede *cough*

Ginger9001

Smash Ace

Hmmm.....that might be a good idea. Do you know how tempting it will be though? Not to mention how if some really important character (like Megaman) was in, that it would be all over the net. :urg: And if they really do spoil all the characters, I'm going to be pissed. :mad:

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Hmmm.....that might be a good idea. Do you know how tempting it will be though? Not to mention how if some really important character (like Megaman) was in, that it would be all over the net. :urg: And if they really do spoil all the characters, I'm going to be pissed. :mad:
i'd just stay of the internet for games period. if you go to any gaming sight, all the cool characters will be posted so just stay away. i personally don't want to go to a site one day while im staying off and see SKULL KID IS IN!

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Chances are he is going to show us all the Characters. But if you don't want to see them, avoiding information about SSBB isn't that hard.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
i'd just stay of the internet for games period. if you go to any gaming sight, all the cool characters will be posted so just stay away. i personally don't want to go to a site one day while im staying off and see SKULL KID IS IN!

lol I wonder what would happen if you saw a character you really wanted in Brawl yet was supposed to be kept secret and you saw it? (like Skull Kid) Would you be overcomed with joy or anger? xD

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Wtf are you talking about? Why wouldn't he show all the starting characters before he started showing hidden characters? You know, the way he did with the last 2 Smash games, and the way everybody has done with every game since the beginning of time.

All I said was that he won't show any hidden characters until he's shown every starting character. I stand by that.

In Zelda the big 3 are Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. So does that mean that no other Zelda characters have a chance?
What's is wrong with showing starter character along with newcomers and those who will be unlockable? Sakurai said that he wanted to reveal all of the characters himself and not have them leaked and spoiled on the internet.

Also tell me when in the hell did the last two smash games, let alone "every game since the beginning of time" have a site that gives the public (for those who "choose" to view it) daily weekday updates?

Also when did I bring up Zelda? Tell me please because I'm pretty sure I was only talking about the Kirby series.

-Knight

Bajef8

Smash Ace
lol I wonder what would happen if you saw a character you really wanted in Brawl yet was supposed to be kept secret and you saw it? (like Skull Kid) Would you be overcomed with joy or anger? xD
i would probably be moderately happy he's in. then i'd be disappointed that the surprise was ruined. then i'd punch myself in the face. and never go near the internet again.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Well considering the fact that everyday I get home from school I go straight to the computer just to see the new update, it's going to be pretty friggin' hard for me. :ohwell:
as soon as i get to school in the morning i find a computer and check the update. that's how obsessed i am. i don't think i'll make it. i'll crack and look at the web site probably and hope he keeps at least one character i like a secret.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I assume the megaman update will be unavoidable.

I'm just trying to avoid anything like, Ridley, Olimar, Vaati.

Something along those lines. Nothing taht would make me drop my jaw, but more along the lines of a pleasent surprise.

Guru_The1nOnly

Smash Cadet
With the new improved story mode it wouldnt be too impossible of a chance for the game to start with very few chars then to start slowly unlocking them just by simply meeting them in story, which is what happens in games like dbz ps2 games.

Zamus is a character, and she will be accessible through other methods. Why do I believe so? It's common sense.

We all know that Sakurai loves options, so it would only make sense that he would give us the option to play with any character we want the way we want to. Believe it or not, forcing character limitations could really hurt the game as a whole considering that the option to play with her isn't present.

Besides, do you think that Sakurai would creat a fully functioning character with a moveset and different playing style just so that she may only be used by an item that situationaly apears? I wouldn't think so.

Zamus will be playable without items.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
And I don't think she will be.

How about we agree to disagree?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
What's is wrong with showing starter character along with newcomers and those who will be unlockable? Sakurai said that he wanted to reveal all of the characters himself and not have them leaked and spoiled on the internet.

Also tell me when in the hell did the last two smash games, let alone "every game since the beginning of time" have a site that gives the public (for those who "choose" to view it) daily weekday updates?

Also when did I bring up Zelda? Tell me please because I'm pretty sure I was only talking about the Kirby series.

-Knight
Why do I even bother responding to you, when you just make up what I say anyway. I didn't say there was anything wrong with doing anything any way, I just said how I thought he would do it.

Here's the URL to the Melee site where they gave updates. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0222/character.html

Top Bottom