• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

22 new comers...... characters coming fast.

Kirby Superstar

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai is waiting 10 - 17 days between each character update.... what does this mean if we still have november, december, january, and up to feb. 10th? how many more can he possibly put JUST as starters?

And PS: By adding DeDeDe, we have 3 kirby characters (basically all of em)
why do it so soon? does this mean he'll get ATLEAST 2 characters for each icon in brawl?

Quintsy

Smash Cadet
Sakurai is waiting 10 - 17 days between each character update.... what does this mean if we still have november, december, january, and up to feb. 10th? how many more can he possibly put JUST as starters?

And PS: By adding DeDeDe, we have 3 kirby characters (basically all of em)
why do it so soon? does this mean he'll get ATLEAST 2 characters for each icon in brawl?
Well that means that if this streak continues we will get 5-9 more characters before the Japanese release date and 6-10 before the American (Although we will most likely have all characters by that time).

Wight

Smash Apprentice
i dont think we'll know the unlockables before the release. it would be stupid since then there wouldnt be a prize of unlocking, it would simply be an irritation. So, no i don't think dedede, snake and sonic are unlockables. We didnt get to know the unlockables before melee came out, did we?
Now that there are three from the kirby franchise, i think its a safe bet to say that we can expect more than two from starfox, and at least two from F-zero. This is just my own opinion so before you start shunning me for not having proof just realize that im not proclaiming these as facts. I'd also say that its likely that we went from one kirby franchise rep to three, the LoZ would most definitely include a third, ganondorf, so i'd say his odds are high. With this info it seems like there will be lots of new characters, possibly why they implemented the release delay. Honestly im glad, i hope there are lots of new characters and the vets return, even if we have to wait extra time. But it seems like other than for the Pokemon category, smashboards has been nearly spot on. Maybe the spy on us ;)

TenshiOni

Smash Apprentice
It kinda stinks that the site may have "spoilers" but still.

Personally, I wouldn't want them to relese the whole roster before the game comes out.

Holy ____ we have 1 less newcomer then verteran confrimed, thats just weird.

I think the next vet is coming tomorrow
If the past is any indication, character updates are separated by at least 4 days.

I doubt we'll see another character update, vet or newcomer, until late next week.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Frankly, I'll be really upset if F-Zero gets another rep. The franchise is so relatively small in the grand scheme of Nintendo, and CF is really its only notable figure (discounting the deconfirmed Samurai Goro). I guess that this means that the DOJO!! really will be revealing secret characters before the game's release...I can't imagine that Dedede will be a default character. Three default Kirby reps? Unlikely.

And while I was REALLY hoping for Lucas' SM this week, my hopes have yet again been dashed, as we are now more likely to see Dedede's SM sometime soon. :ohwell:

pud22

Smash Apprentice
I assume that characters like Dedede, Snake, and Sonic are unlockable characters. We've probably seen nearly all the starting characters.
i doubt that sonic is unlockable. any1 they put in the demo is most likely a starter.

Well that means that if this streak continues we will get 5-9 more characters before the Japanese release date and 6-10 before the American (Although we will most likely have all characters by that time).
this idea makes the most sense to me.

but they dont hav to announce a set number of chars . so we might even get less or more.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I really think that Sakurai has changed what he said about not revealing unlockables before the game's release. I mean, if that's what he's doing, we've nearly got as many starters as Melee had characters!

It'd be awesome, because we'd be looking at a lot of characters, but i don't think it's likely.

EDIT - Pud22, how do you figure that? What reasoning is behind that at all? I don't get it.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'd say were only going to get one more character update then there will be 12 new comers and 12 returning that have been revealed and then there will be the other ones that have yet to be reveal and are unlock-able in the game i cant really see them giving all the characters away. I'm at least hopping that they stop of the newcomers reach 12 as well i don't want everything revealed to me hell i would have been happy id they had stopped at 8 new comers and left the rest to mystery but oh well all ya can do.

C00P

Smash Cadet
I don't think we are going to see many more newcommers.. but what we really need to watch for is the appearance of luigi. I am assuminng he is another unlockable in the game considering mario was the first revealed and we have yet to see traces of him (other than that n00b nintento rep who slipped). If we see luigi then I believe we will see at least 3 more vets because that means another row on smashbros.com has to be filled out. If we don't see him (or other characters) then it is safe to assume there will be a number of unlockable fighters... I'm hoping one more 3rd party franchise never talked about until its release (Mega Man?). All this is speculation of course... but I am jus layin my 2 cents out for all to see

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
We have 23 available characters now in Brawl. And the pattern seems to be like this, 2 new characters up dates every month. So, 2 more in november, 2 more in december, 2 more in january, and 1 more in february, til February 10th, the release date. So that is 7 more characters than we have now, which is 30 characters in all. The 7 characters will most likely be...

1. Luigi
2. Captain Falcon
3. Ridley
4. Megaman
5. Mewtwo
6. Jigglypuff
7. Mr. G&W

I believe this game will have more than 30 playable characters, so my guess is that we will have more character surprises while playing through the game.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
We have 23 available characters now in Brawl. And the pattern seems to be like this, 2 new characters up dates every month. So, 2 more in november, 2 more in december, 2 more in january, and 1 more in february, til February 10th, the release date. So that is 7 more characters than we have now, which is 30 characters in all. The 7 characters will most likely be...

1. Luigi
2. Captain Falcon
3. Ridley
4. Megaman
5. Mewtwo
6. Jigglypuff
7. Mr. G&W

I believe this game will have more than 30 playable characters, so my guess is that we will have more character surprises while playing through the game.

I don't think 2 chars a month is accurate.

From what I've gathered We've had 1 character released everyweek, except for 4 week now (the 4th being last week).

We've also had 2 weeks with 2 characters. So if you wanna average it out, we've only gone 2 weeks without a character since the debut of the new site.

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
Frankly, I'll be really upset if F-Zero gets another rep. The franchise is so relatively small in the grand scheme of Nintendo, and CF is really its only notable figure (discounting the deconfirmed Samurai Goro). I guess that this means that the DOJO!! really will be revealing secret characters before the game's release...I can't imagine that Dedede will be a default character. Three default Kirby reps? Unlikely.

And while I was REALLY hoping for Lucas' SM this week, my hopes have yet again been dashed, as we are now more likely to see Dedede's SM sometime soon. :ohwell:
F-Zero is far bigger than most people will give it credit for. It's a bigger series than Fire Emblem for sure.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
People actually think Mario's Rival, a Third Party Character, is a starter..?

He's already told us that Snake is unlockable too, actually I think it was that he wants 3rd Party Character to feel like guests so therefore you have to unlock them.

Is anyone here that thinks all the characters we've seen so far are starters over 14..?

And it's 11 Newcomers so far, not 22.. And it's only up to January 24th not February 10th..

ColossalSmurf

Smash Rookie
I think that all the current veterans will probably be starters and that sonic, snake, dedede, and maybe lucas will be unlockables. I think the cover shows only a few of the starters, I mean unlocking Donkey kong? If I recall correctly the melee box only showed a few of the starters but not all as well., so it's a possibility.

I personally think that the roster shoul be capped around 30. 30 is a lot of characters, especially with all 30 being unique. I hope that there isn't 40 or 50 in the total roster.. but I feel that that is just WAY too many, and seems unnesesary. I think I may be alone in thinking this, and my speculation of the next couple of characters to round it off might be..
Luigi, Captain Falcon, Jiggly Puff, Ridley, Captain Olimar, Mega man. and perhaps a roster cap at 32 or 34 with.. Gannondorf, Geno, Krystal, and maybe an animal crossing human.

But I think that not all revealed are starters.. sure it does take most of surprise out... but I'm sure that before we got our copies we'd all know anyway from Japanese players.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
First off, Kor, that isn't confirmed as the official boxart.

Second, looking at the character list, I'm actually disappointed. Where's my Krystal, WWLink, more FE characters, ability to use ZSS w/o Smash Ball, Captain Falcon, NESS????

I'm very flexible in my wants for a character list, and unexpected, I really haven't been sated with it yet.

I can only hope to WHOEVER HOLDS WIDE HEAVEN, that SOMEONE from the aforementioned list makes it in. If not, then I'll be satisfied with a large quantity of characters.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
First off, Kor, that isn't confirmed as the official boxart.
I can't check, because i'm behind a filter, but according to Wiki, that box are was courtesy of Nintendo's Press site.

You're 2nd point has nothing to do with anything. We've not said anything about their being a limit to the roster, or when we'll reach to the end of it. Nor, have we said anything about which characters will be and wont be getting in. I'm not sure why you're acting defensivly on behalf of WWlink, Krystal, FE chars, and etc...

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I think that all the current veterans will probably be starters and that sonic, snake, dedede, and maybe lucas will be unlockables. I think the cover shows only a few of the starters, I mean unlocking Donkey kong? If I recall correctly the melee box only showed a few of the starters but not all as well., so it's a possibility.

I personally think that the roster shoul be capped around 30. 30 is a lot of characters, especially with all 30 being unique. I hope that there isn't 40 or 50 in the total roster.. but I feel that that is just WAY too many, and seems unnesesary. I think I may be alone in thinking this, and my speculation of the next couple of characters to round it off might be..
Luigi, Captain Falcon, Jiggly Puff, Ridley, Captain Olimar, Mega man. and perhaps a roster cap at 32 or 34 with.. Gannondorf, Geno, Krystal, and maybe an animal crossing human.

But I think that not all revealed are starters.. sure it does take most of surprise out... but I'm sure that before we got our copies we'd all know anyway from Japanese players.

You do know that if all the veterans return except Pichu, Dr Mario, Roy and Young Link, then that makes 33 Characters so far..

And if you include those high on the poll, e.g. Ridley, Geno, Captain Olimar, then that makes 36.

Add other popular ones that are bound to make it, e.g. Claus, Lucario, Megaman, Krystal, WW Link, Isaac, Takamaru and that Animal Crossing Rep, then that makes 44.

And I'm sure I'm missing others.

So if you think there's only going to be 8/9 Newcomers, you're going to be in for a shock.

ColossalSmurf

Smash Rookie
You do know that if all the veterans return except Pichu, Dr Mario, Roy and Young Link, then that makes 33 Characters so far..

And if you include those high on the poll, e.g. Ridley, Geno, Captain Olimar, then that makes 36.

Add other popular ones that are bound to make it, e.g. Claus, Lucario, Megaman, Krystal, WW Link, Isaac, Takamaru and that Animal Crossing Rep, then that makes 44.

And I'm sure I'm missing others.

So if you think there's only going to be 8/9 Newcomers, you're going to be in for a shock.
I meant the vets currently on the dojo, the only additional vets I think might come back were gannondorf, jigglypuff, and lugi. and with ridley, Olimar, Mega Man, that that gives the roster...28 ( as we have 22 revealed characters.. I don't count zero suit samus as a seperate charater for the roster slots) actually without Gannondorf, Krystal, Geno, and the Animal Crossing human. Add them in and it is 32.
It very well may go beyond that, as you mentioned the ther highly popular caracters still have a chance at being included. But I still think that the high 40's to 50 or more is just a wee bit too many characters.
the

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I meant the vets currently on the dojo, the only additional vets I think might come back were gannondorf, jigglypuff, and lugi. and with ridley, Olimar, Mega Man, that that gives the roster...28 ( as we have 22 revealed characters.. I don't count zero suit samus as a seperate charater for the roster slots) actually without Gannondorf, Krystal, Geno, and the Animal Crossing human. Add them in and it is 32.
It very well may go beyond that, as you mentioned the ther highly popular caracters still have a chance at being included. But I still think that the high 40's to 50 or more is just a wee bit too many characters.
the
Those character have no reason for leaving. So if all of the Veterans return, then that makes 33 Characters so far.

Zamus is a different Character.

And you can't just randomly take away Characters and say that it equals this much. That's like saying if you take away all the Characters except Mario then it equals 1..

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Yes.

Because everyone knows that a game with unlockables is generally fun as hell.

Look at Mario kart DS. people love unlockables.
Yeah, I couldn't wait to get my hands on Mario Kart DS for the unlockables. Sometimes I erase my data just so I can unlock them again.

Seriously though, there's no way that those are the only starters. If you think that, you're dumb. Donkey Kong isn't even on there. You think Donkey Kong isn't a starting character?

I don't even think that that's the final box art. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't advertise Sonic or Snake on the cover, and it doesn't even have the Wi-Fi enabled logo.

I think that every character that they've shown so far is a starting character. Why would they just show some hidden characters in between showing starting characters? That makes no sense at all. Last time they showed all of the starting characters first, and then when they started showing hidden characters they said they were hidden. Why wouldn't they do that this time?

I also think that there will be at least one more Kirby character? Because I think that the 3 we've already seen are all starters, and it seems like if they were only going to have 3 Kirby characters they'd make at least one of them hidden. If I'm right, it'll probably be someone stupid like Rick or Gooey. Maybe we'll get lucky though, and they'll add Chilly. He's the coolest Kirby character there is(literally).

Kor

Smash Apprentice
Seriously though, there's no way that those are the only starters. If you think that, you're dumb...
Man... these boards are awesome... Calling someone dumb because they have a different idea than you... amazing...

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
This arguement isn't final, and doesn't belong here.

We still don't know if we can chose Zamus from the start, and until we do, she is not her own independant character.
So a Character with a completely different moveset, different fighting style, different weapons and different attacks, who happens to have her own page in the Newcomers section of the Official Super Smash Bros Brawl site, updated week daily by the creator of the game himself, isn't a New Character?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I think that every character that they've shown so far is a starting character. Why would they just show some hidden characters in between showing starting characters? That makes no sense at all. Last time they showed all of the starting characters first, and then when they started showing hidden characters they said they were hidden. Why wouldn't they do that this time?
I don't see the point your trying to make, unless you can come up with a resonable explantion for every single update that Sakurai has presented on the Smash Dojo. As I said before (I really hope someone can find the source) That Sakurai would rather reveal all the characters himself instead of having them all spoiled by the internet. Plus he's not actually revealing them to anyone that doesn't want to see them. Not only does he put warning up(though not good in some browsers because they see the characters anyway). Tell me who is forcing you look at the Smash Dojo.

I also think that there will be at least one more Kirby character? Because I think that the 3 we've already seen are all starters, and it seems like if they were only going to have 3 Kirby characters they'd make at least one of them hidden. If I'm right, it'll probably be someone stupid like Rick or Gooey. Maybe we'll get lucky though, and they'll add Chilly. He's the coolest Kirby character there is(literally).
I'm sorry but no. I highly doubt that the Kirby series will get another playable rep. Name one Kirby character that is as notable as the Big 3 (Kirby, Metaknight and King Dedede). I don't see what's so crazy out Sakurai putting unlockable characters on his site; that you don't even have to look at in the first place.

-Knight

limitbreak

Smash Ace
So a Character with a completely different moveset, different fighting style, different weapons and different attacks, who happens to have her own page in the Newcomers section of the Official Super Smash Bros Brawl site, updated week daily by the creator of the game himself, isn't a New Character?

I have to agree with Pulvia there. That just wouldnt make sense if she wasnt a new character. Besides that, someone else made a good point about dk not being a starter. Theres no way that he wouldnt be. That probably isnt the final box cover and we wont know whos a starter until they announce it. But I highly doubt someone like sonic or snake would be starters.

ColossalSmurf

Smash Rookie
Those character have no reason for leaving. So if all of the Veterans return, then that makes 33 Characters so far.

Zamus is a different Character.

And you can't just randomly take away Characters and say that it equals this much. That's like saying if you take away all the Characters except Mario then it equals 1..
I don't see why they have a reason to come back, it's just what I think might happen. All the veterans may very well come back, but I think it's unlkely. Captain Falcon, Jiggly Puff, and Lugi have been in two of the games and many people feel that gives them more reason to return.

She plays differently, but becuase she is only playable through Samus's Final smash ( so far as we currently know) I don't consider her a character for taking up a roster slot.. it's like CHarizard, and squirtle don't have their own slot.

this I don't really understand.. I'm not taking away everyone and saying now there is just so and so, I just think that the characters I left out just might not come back. call it personal preference, I just don't think it will happen.
And If they do then that's just dandy, If the roster does end up being 50 or so.. I'm still going to buy the game.. i just feel like 50.... is excessive.

Top Bottom