• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta 2015 Community Tier List Voting

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
I get posting just for emotional reasons but still try to at least have some kind of content in a post. As for doc and Mario in teams ... Probably what @ Plunder Plunder said. I honestly know more about smash 4 than I do maylay, but I play them both competitively at the same time so things get mixed up sometimes.
:happysheep:
thanks for the info

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'll just re post my tier.

Take most of this stuff with a grain of salt as I am not the finest tier maker.

My votes

S

1. :falcomelee: To compromise my beliefs in falco I think this character is above fox because fox has 1 losing matchup and that's to falco, overall fox has slightly better MU

2.:foxmelee: Really obvious

3.:marthmelee: This character should easily have zero disadvantages in the MU, if the player properly understands his opponents such as a Falco or Fox, he could juggle, take advantage of their linear recovery, and even just plain beat the crap out of them.

4.:sheikmelee: Slightly overrated, still extremely viable.

5.:jigglypuffmelee: Jiggly is fine where she is

6.:falconmelee: Gotta love falcon.

7.:peachmelee:

8.:samusmelee:/:icsmelee: Samus is a strong character, who has the ability to use ranged combat and close quarters combat, and she excels at both. She is oddly floaty and is easy to Ariel combo, and she has a poor SHFFL. However I think she earns this spot above Ice climbers and Doc, because of her ability to have decent match ups with the other S tier characters. Ice climbers have the infinite chain grab. Nothing special else about them.

A

9.:ganondorfmelee: Great

10.:luigimelee: His meta has increased, and has been getting higher in tournament placings.

11.:pikachumelee: Nerfed from 64, always decent in every game.

12.:drmario: Good, nothing exceptional.

13.:yoshimelee: aMSa

14. :mariomelee:

B

15.:younglinkmelee:

16.:dkmelee: Interesting character, interesting placement.

17.:roymelee: Poor KO ability, decent SHFFL, More viable than his current placement.

18.:zeldamelee: Better than link?

19.:linkmelee:

20.:gawmelee: Funny character

21.:nessmelee: Get him out of F

22. :kirbymelee: I love this character, fun and should be higher, but this character, sucks.
F

23.:mewtwomelee:Dysfunctional.

24.:pichumelee: Has the worst matchups in the melee cast.

25.:bowsermelee:
So... Ice climbers and Samus take the same place reducing it all to 25 slots? Also you even said samus should be above ice climbers
there's no way roy should be 17th or anything near.
Does Pichu really have that many bad matchups?
Kirby is more dysfunctional than mewtwo except for back air...
Zelda is back air the character, link at least has a bunch of options in many situations

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Pichu's matchups aren't as bad as Bowser's lol

If you're talking about Roy's inferior dash attack as a reason for why he sucks, you're doing it wrongly. Try the millions of other reasons for why he sucks.

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
So... Ice climbers and Samus take the same place reducing it all to 25 slots? Also you even said samus should be above ice climbers
there's no way roy should be 17th or anything near.
Does Pichu really have that many bad matchups?
Kirby is more dysfunctional than mewtwo except for back air...
Zelda is back air the character, link at least has a bunch of options in many situations
um question did you make a list if so can i see it i'm just curious

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
am i the only one that thinks pichu is good
Nope. He's not that bad, and you could get around with moves that don't hurt pichu (even though side smash kills soo good :3)

He has good offensive play other than his terrible range, but his defense alone could put him in the worse tier. He's not the worst character in the game imo though. Bowser or Roy or Zelda or Mewtwo take that spot for me

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
Nope. He's not that bad, and you could get around with moves that don't hurt pichu (even though side smash kills soo good :3)

He has good offensive play other than his terrible range, but his defense alone could put him in the worse tier. He's not the worst character in the game imo though. Bowser or Roy or Zelda or Mewtwo take that spot for me
he has literally no range man and neutral b puts on horrible zoning pressure from afar because you take damage using it and they can jump over easily. No options

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
KirbyKaze and Unknown were two people I highly expected to vote on this list, as I recall they both voted on the last list (and I assume the MBR lists before that). Perhaps they didn't see this, or they only saw it once and forgot. I tried to get in contact with everyone in the MIOM top 100 but after contacting the first 40 or so on FB I lost a lot of motivation. If you ran it past them for me, I would really appreciate it.

I hate to say it, but I think the biggest short coming was the lack of social media representation. I did very little to promote this on twitter or FB or reddit, and because of that the reach wasn't as far as it should've been. The year is 20xx and people no longer check smashboards :138:.
so is there going to be a list or no

Brandonr15

Smash Rookie
S:

1.:foxmelee:
2.:marthmelee:
3.:falcomelee:
4.:sheikmelee:
5.:falconmelee:
6.:jigglypuffmelee:

A:

7.:drmario:
8.:icsmelee:
9.:peachmelee:

B:

10.:ganondorfmelee:
11.:samusmelee:

C:

12.:mariomelee:
13.:gawmelee:
14.:luigimelee:

D:

16.:pikachumelee:
17.:linkmelee:
18.:dkmelee:

E:

19.:yoshimelee:
20.:roymelee:
21.:nessmelee:

F:

22.:bowsermelee:
23.:pichumelee:
24.:mewtwomelee:
25.:zeldamelee:
26.:kirbymelee:

I can't deny the fact that Kirby is the worst, but I'm starting to see how bad Roy really is. Just to be safe I left Roy in the E tier above Ness. I was actually thinking about moving Bowser, and Pichu one tier higher, but no, I was focusing to much on the good things. I had trouble determining Dr.Mario, and Jigglypuff's placement. Jigglypuff does have more tournament play, and some better moves, so Dr.Mario is 7th. Mario was going to be in the B tier, but he had many similarities to Luigi (except his awful recovery) so Mario will stay in a C tier. Fox takes first. This tier is based off my own knowledge, and experience.

Last edited:

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
S:

A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

F:

I can't deny the fact that Kirby is the worst, but I'm starting to see how bad Roy really is. Just to be safe I left Roy in the E tier above Ness. I was actually thinking about moving Bowser, and Pichu one tier higher, but no, I was focusing to much on the good things. I had trouble determining Dr.Mario, and Jigglypuff's placement. Jigglypuff does have more tournament play, and some better moves, so Dr.Mario is 7th. Mario was going to be in the B tier, but he had many similarities to Luigi (except his awful recovery) so Mario will stay in a C tier. Fox takes first. This tier is based off my own knowledge, and experience.
Think you could explain why you put Peach at 9th and Samus below ganondorf?

Last edited:

Brandonr15

Smash Rookie
Think you could explain why you put Peach at 9th and Samus below ganondorf?

Good question. As I said, I made this tier list off of my knowledge and experience, and tournament results( which I didn't say before, sorry). I haven't really learned everything about characters, so of course I can be wrong.

Now samus is a character I haven't used as much. I have seen some pretty goof Samus players, but I've haven't played with any great samus players (local tourneys). I have played against great Ganon players though. I have seen videos that shows how samus can combo, and how well she can perform. As I have only seen how well samus is on a video I leave her below Ganon. Also Ganon is very similar to C.Falcon, and he's a great character. Any more questions? Feel free to ask.

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
S:

A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

F:

how could you put game and watch so high and pika and yoshi so low have you seen axe and amsa?!

eviljoeybonkers

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eviljoeybonkers
3DS FC
4897-6248-0097
S:

A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

F:

Why is Game and Watch so high?

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
Here's my rankings just from watching lots of melee but with little tourney experience
S
Fox
Sheik
Captain Falcon
Falco
Ice Climbers
Marth
Puff
Peach
A
Luigi
Ganondorf
Pikachu
B
Young Link
Samus
Yoshi
Link
Zelda
Mario
Dr. Mario
D
Roy
Ness
DK
G&W
F
Bowser
Mewtwo
Kirby
Pichu
you put falcon way to high falco a little low marth low peach should be over puff kirby is the worst and is forever the worst and Dr.Mario is better than mario and they should both be higher.

BeBop127

Smash Rookie
S Tier
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Shiek
4. Marth
5. Puff

A Tier
6. Peach
7. Pikachu
8. Falcon
9. Yoshi
10. Samus
11. Ice Climbers

B Tier
12. Doc
13. Ganon
14. Young Link

C Tier
15. Luigi
16. Mario
17. Link
18. Donkey Kong

D Tier
19. Zelda
20. Mewtwo
21. Ness
22. Roy
23. Mr. Game and Watch
24. Pichu
25. Bowser
26. Kirby

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
i hadn't posted a tier list yet so

S tier:
1. :foxmelee:
2. :falcomelee:
3. :marthmelee:
4. :sheikmelee:

A tier:
5. :peachmelee:
6. :jigglypuffmelee:
7. :icsmelee:
8. :falconmelee:

B tier:

9. :yoshimelee:
10. :pikachumelee:
11. :samusmelee:
12. :luigimelee:
13. :ganondorfmelee:
14. :drmario:
15. :mariomelee:

C tier:

16. :younglinkmelee:
17. :linkmelee:
18. :dkmelee:

ASS tier:

19.:mewtwomelee:
21.:gawmelee:
22.:pichumelee:
23.:nessmelee:
24.:zeldamelee:
25.:bowsermelee:

Number Three

Smash Cadet
I haven't posted a tier list yet, so why not throw one together?

SS Tier

S Tier
3. :jigglypuffmelee:
5. :marthmelee:
6. :peachmelee:

A Tier
8. :samusmelee:
9. :falconmelee:
11. :yoshimelee:
12. :ganondorfmelee:
13. :luigimelee:

B Tier
17. :dkmelee:
18. :linkmelee:
19. :nessmelee:
20. :mewtwomelee:
21. :zeldamelee:
22. :gawmelee:

F Tier
23. :pichumelee:
24. :roymelee:
25. :bowsermelee:
26. :kirbymelee:

Last edited:

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
I haven't posted a tier list yet, so why not throw one together?

SS Tier

S Tier
3. :jigglypuffmelee:
5. :marthmelee:

A Tier
8. :samusmelee:
9. :falconmelee:
12. :ganondorfmelee:
13. :luigimelee:

B Tier
17. :dkmelee:
18. :linkmelee:
19. :nessmelee:
20. :mewtwomelee:
21. :zeldamelee:
22. :gawmelee:

F Tier
23. :pichumelee:
Captain Falcon below Samus?
Puff at 3rd, above Sheik and Marth?
Peach below Puff?

Explanations are required.

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
S Tier
3. :marthmelee:
5. :jigglypuffmelee:

A Tier
8. :falconmelee:
9. :samusmelee:

B Tier
12. :luigimelee:
13. :drmario:
14. :ganondorfmelee:

C Tier
17. :linkmelee:
18. :dkmelee:

D Tier
19. :gawmelee:
20. :pichumelee:
21. :nessmelee:
22. :mewtwomelee:

F Tier
23. :zeldamelee:

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
so after being yelled at i'm using the list i voted with this is not a troll list

Tier S
Fox
Falco
Marth
Shiek
Peach
Puff
C.Falcon
Pika

Tier A
Ics
Yoshi
Samus
Luigi
Dr.Mario
Gannon

Tier B
Pichu
DK
Mario
G and W
Young Link
Bowser
Mewtwo
Roy

Tier F
Ness
Link
Zelda
Kirby

Now before you start hating me let me explain Pika and Ics could go both ways but my gameplay and tourney gameplay are BOTH going into this list i chose pika though ics might be better for, Link i have not been seeing many good link players besides germ and i kinda suck as him so thats why. Pichu and Mario the two hardest decisions on this list only because of my gameplay i could see DK and Mario being better than him but my gameplay because i main Pichu says otherwise hate fuel right there XD. finally Marth i think shiek is the better character but a tourneys marth is better imo.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Nobody cares abput your gameplay. Pichu is my second best character (or best if my Fox is having a really bad day) but I didn't put Pichu in S tier.

NastyNard

Smash Cadet
so after being yelled at i'm using the list i voted with this is not a troll list

Tier S
Fox
Falco
Marth
Shiek
Peach
Puff
C.Falcon
Pika

Tier A
Ics
Yoshi
Gannon
Dr.Mario
Luigi
Samus

Tier B
Pichu
DK
Mario
G and W
Young Link
Bowser
Mewtwo

Tier F
Ness
Link
Zelda
Kirby

Now before you start hating me let me explain Pika and Ics could go both ways but my gameplay and tourney gameplay are BOTH going into this list i chose pika though ics might be better for, Link i have not been seeing many good link players besides germ and i kinda suck as him so thats why. Pichu and Mario the two hardest decisions on this list only because of my gameplay i could see DK and Mario being better than him but my gameplay because i main Pichu says otherwise hate feul right there XD. finally Marth i think shiek is the better character but a tourneys marth is better imo.
This is a solid-ass list.

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
Nobody cares abput your gameplay. Pichu is my second best character (or best if my Fox is having a really bad day) but I didn't put Pichu in S tier.
i guess but gameplay only went into the characters i explained for the most part aside from pichu any other complaints?

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
i guess but gameplay only went into the characters i explained for the most part aside from pichu any other complaints?
pichu isn't the greatest offender, but i don't think he's that good either. watch what other people have done with characters to see what those characters are capable of. for low tiers, you often have to figure out if they are actually competent or if the people using them are outplaying their opponents.

ex: my young link is trash, but armada used him against hungrybox. i don't know the exact record between these two with this matchup, but armada certainly at least put up a fight each time.

Last edited:

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
This is a pretty solid list, reasons for IC's above falcon and peach above puff?
I think falcons horrible recovery can inherently make some high tier match ups worse for him like marth which he should win 60-40 atleast but having the recovery as he does makes it more even for marth though falcon still wins and a lot of other high tiers have strong edge guarding while ics can come back with wobbling and seem to just do better since some high tiers have a problem splitting them up which can make them a major threat in general, though there is the peach match up. Overall i just think ics at a high level are stronger than falcon by abit.

peach above puff i actually dont know about thinking about it, peach has some difficult match ups that aren't as hard for puff.

Last edited:

Ledemduso

Smash Rookie
I've never been able to understand how Pichu was supposed to be worse than Bowser. Good to see, I'm by far not the only one to think this way.

GoldenMasterSword

Smash Cadet
NNID
GoldMasterSword
3DS FC
5241-2079-3500
I composed my own tier list, and it looked like this:
S Tier:
1. Fox, Falco
I put them tying for best character because their archetype is pretty much the same (given that they are clones), but they just operate slightly differently; Falco has flinching lasers, a shine that opens up to a world of combo trees, a faster side B which makes his recovery harder to react to, and the best Dair in the game by far. Meanwhile, Fox is extremely fast, has very fast damaging lasers, a shine that gimps nearly every character in the game, a very long recovery, and very consistent vertical KOing moves.
3. Jigglypuff
I took the time to rethink Jigglypuff's placing and read articles on why M2K thought that it was #3 in the game, and judging by Hbox's performance at EVO, it's very clear that Jigglypuff is pretty much meant to take the lead, and keep it by being campy (this is apparently the only reason M2K has succeeded whenever he uses Jigglypuff, so it's not surprising Hbox would adopt the planking strat). Jigglypuff can seriously cripple any momentum its opponent has with a rest or a good Wall of Pain, and it is very hard for most characters to take the lead back; in fact, this probably affects more characters than Sheik's chain grab. Jigglypuff takes the 3rd spot, easily.
4. Sheik
Sheik is the next obvious choice here, with her being a low tier devourer and having moves that naturally combo into each other (pretty much all tilts) and gimp the opponent (Fair, Dsmash). I would say one of the only reasons she is above Marth is due to needles, which have a larger range than Marth's sword and negates far more powerful projectiles due to having actual hurtboxes.
5. Marth
Marth simply cannot be overlooked no matter what version of the game you play. He will always have the top 5 spot, but sadly, in NTSC, I think he should take the lowest spot of that top 5, simply because range is all he has against the rest of those characters. He doesn't have the air mobility of Jigglypuff nor dash speed of Fox, but Marth can still definitely do work against every character with good zoning and proper punishes.
A Tier
6. Peach
Peach is not a weak character at all (unless you're a Jigglypuff player...). Her edgeguarding game, float cancels, and turnips can really frustrate even the gods of Melee if they're not careful. She is a little on the slow side, but her combo game rivals that of Falco's at times if you find the right opportunity. No new player should be afraid of considering Peach. She is a monster in the right hands.
7. Ice Climbers
With an infinite on every single character, you'd think that Popo and Nana would be at the top of the list... however, they do have to be together to pull it off, and losing one of the two makes the ICs very weak mid stock. Still, the handoffs and Wobble are something to look out for.
8. Captain Falcon
I don't really like the way Falcon plays, even incorporating 20GX. It's very read heavy and the optimal gameplan is often something that the characters above him just simply do better. He's still ranked pretty high considering his combo game into Knee is no joke, but the way you land them requires very hard reads to do so at top level, or so it seems at least for me.
9. Pikachu
Pikachu is really just like a poor man's Fox; he has decent speed, great vertical KOing moves, good gimping moves, and a really long recovery (honestly probably the best after Jigglypuff). The only downside is his awful, AWFUL range on his attacks. But he has the tools to take on pretty much any character.
10. Samus
Samus is, apparently, the bane of spacies, being pretty much the only other "mid-tier" to stand an even chance against them. Her missiles work similarly to Falco's lasers but with decent KO potential, she has really good range (dat Zair), and has that really useful up B OoS. If only she hit a little bit harder and didn't have such a high short hop.
11. Yoshi
Yoshi should really be higher on the list, no matter what anyone says. He probably shouldn't be this high, but he is literally the only "low tier character" who has made a dent in any major in the past year. Heavy armor on double jump, shield shenanigans like parrying, and amazing platform movement potential are not things you want to mess with.
B Tier
12. Dr. Mario
Dr. Mario is a surprisingly great edgeguarder with Bair and cape, and he has decent KO moves to boot. They are sadly, either a tad weak (Dsmash) or have awful range (Fsmash and Fair). His recovery is also notoriously atrocious. That might be the single reason Shroomed switched off of him since 2014.
13. Luigi
Luigi gets the middle spot, yay~ With the longest wavedash in the game and very fast moves, he can cause opponents quite some trouble if he remains unpredictable with his movement. However, his recovery, KO moves, and range are all slightly lacking. He really doesn't excel in any aspect aside from wavedash length, and this low traction also works against him because it makes shielded punishes much harder to do.
14. Mario
The Mario Bros. are packed really close together in this list... which is to be expected, since Mario and Luigi are brothers and Dr. Mario is, well, Mario in doctor garb and smarter about how to hit enemies. Mario has better range and recovery than Dr. Mario, but that's about it. His Fair is awful no matter which hitbox you land (even the meteor smash requires some serious sleeping on the opponent's part for them to get hit by it), his Dsmash is even weaker, and his sourspotted Fsmash when not sweetspotted is worse than that of Marth's (and you thought Marthritis was terrible...).
15. Ganondorf
Ganondorf hits hard and has decent range. That's about it, really. His attacks and movement are just too slow for him to be viable and useful against the top 5 characters. While you can make miracles happen, they do not come often or consistently enough to be a real game changer.
16. Young Link
The young Hylian Hero is a fast attacker, fast walker, and has a surprisingly good projectile game. Despite that, good opportunities to land his combos are scarce because they don't... LINK quite as often as you like. His recovery's also not that great, especially for someone his weight.
C Tier
17. Link
The older Hero of Time is bigger, bulkier, and a little stronger... but his weaknesses are just like Young Link's, but exacerbated due to his lower speed. They can both moonwalk, though. That's something, right?
18. Donkey Kong
If there was anything close to a Wobble in the lower tiers, it would be Donkey Kong and his cargo throw, which wreaks havoc on spacies should they ever end up in the ape's arms. But aside from a decent Bair and Uair, that's pretty much it. The tie being a hurtbox on his body and the extremely small shield only causes more problems for being so big and relatively slow.
19. Roy
I think that because Roy is a clone of Marth, he's actually an ok character. It's just that his moves really, REALLY suck when they're sourspotted. There is no reason for Roy's moves to have such a disparity in strength between the sweetspot and sourspot. He may have that grab range and up throw, but seriously, poor Roy.
20. Mr. Game & Watch
A 9 is literally the only thing he can do to save himself from the bottom tiers. Oh, and he has a 1 frame up B that travels super far upwards. But his shield is just... WHY? He can't L-cancel all of his aerials, either. Makes you wonder if they finished this game on time.
21. Mewtwo
Mewtwo has a slower charge shot, strongest up throw in the game, and a very good recovery. But he's too light for his own good and has awful power in every other aspect. Range isn't great either, and like Donkey Kong's tie, having the entire tail as a hurtbox isn't fun.
22. Pichu
I'm taking a lot of pages from M2K's thoughts, but I really don't think Pichu is all that bad, either. His Nair does everything for him, and his smashes are really freaking strong. Like Link and his bulkiness and slowness, though, Pichu's range weakness is exacerbated from Pikachu's. Self-damage is also really bad, but most of it can be avoided by just using Pichu's side B and up B.
D Tier (aptly named, GMS)
23. Ness
Ness's recovery is really slow to execute and his aerials are much slower than in Smash 64 (except for Nair, Nair is one of his only good moves and it has very little range). His killing power isn't all that great, and his projectiles are even slower and not even that useful if they somehow hit. If Yo-Yo glitch could be a regular thing, he'd be the best character in the game, but alas, we have a shell of a young boy who didn't even do that well in the previous Smash game he was in. -pat pat-
24. Bowser
Up B OoS, 0-99% getup attack and SHFFL Fair are probably the only decent things Bowser has in his arsenal. You won't see Bowser land the most powerful Fsmash in the game often enough to make a significant impact.
25. Zelda
There must be a reason barely anyone wants to switch to Zelda, even just for the recovery. She is literally the slowest character in the game (dash, probably air speed, and non-tether grab). No combo game, the only things saving her are really fast neutral B and Dsmash, and really strong sweetspotted Fair and Bair.
26. Kirby
I'm really sorry, Kirby. You may be Sakurai's love child, but you got wrecked hard coming into Melee. The only thing you retained were your up smash, Bair, and really cute taunt. You have nothing else going for you. <\3

Last edited:

Number Three

Smash Cadet
Captain Falcon below Samus?
Puff at 3rd, above Sheik and Marth?
Peach below Puff?

Explanations are required.
Puff (this applies to both of your Puff questions): The reason I think Puff is 3rd in the game is because of how deadly she can be. Seriously, if you even make the smallest mistake against her, you can get wall of pained or rested which is pretty much a free kill for Jigglypuff. It's also very hard to make comebacks against her because, no matter how much momentum you have going, she can interrupt it like it's nothing and take your stock just as easily. I also agree with what M2K thinks about her.

Samus: Samus is better than Falcon (at least in my book). The only reason one could argue Falcon is better is because he gets more play since Samus' playerbase is small. Samus gets very good placements in tournaments. Not that Falcon doesn't, but her players tend to place better than Falcon players. Samus also has better matchups against the really good characters including the spacies (even though it's even, that's still a ton of help) compared to Falcon who is countered by both of them.

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
S

A

B

C

Can someone delete above post?

Last edited:
Top Bottom