• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2008 Game of the Year is not brawl

• Thread starter smash brawl player 99021
  • Start date
S

smash brawl player 99021

Link to original post: [drupal=964]2008 Game of the Year is not brawl[/drupal]

This bugs me and should bug some of you guys but on hardly any websites or in any magazines Brawl didnt rank as game of the year.I think it deserved it if nintendo power didnt. It was a great game. Can anyone gimme some ideas as to why? I think its absolute BS. My only explamation is that it came out somewhat early in the year causing people to forget about it.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well it is sorta self explanatory why, GTA4 came out this year, along with MGS4.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Only thing that I agree is that Brawl should had got Wii's Game of the Year. But most likey I think the most overratted game GTA4 had got Game of the Year which I think is below Brawl's level of lasting... no that's being too nice, GTA4 didn't last too long at all. But yea, I say that Brawl should had got at least on the top five best games of 2008.

Ange

Smash Lord
Yeah.

Brawl might of being a good game, but there was better ones to deserve the title.

Edit: Personally Ive never played GTA4, but I asume its "good" enough to get the title of being GotY 2008.
Brawl is still a good game, but... yeah. /:

peregrine monkey

Smash Apprentice
Brawl didn't get the game of the year award because Melee got it. Even if it was released in 2001 it will still get game of the year until the end of time.

Play melee.

Immortal_One

Smash Apprentice
(Since "Game of the Year" is very relative, I'm assuming we're going by Spike TV's Game of the Year choice, Grand Theft Auto 4)
Honestly, I have no idea why GTA4 got picked, I for one, don't consider it to be a game.
MGS4 was in the running for Game of the Year, and I personally think it should have won.

Brawl doesn't evoke as much emotion as games like MGS4, Fallout 3, Farcry 2, Resistance 2 or any other good game out there. Yes, it evokes a lot of emotion, but it does so as a company. It's emotion to a company, whereas the other games focus on a few characters to evoke emotion.

Slasherx

Smash Ace
Brawl didn't make it because
most people prefer mature game, not some random nintendo fight.
Something with shooting will always be on top.

S

smash brawl player 99021

i have a 360 and played Fallout 3 its not bad its just so deep and addictive that its hard to stop playing. The only reason I have is because it got scratched and I just started playing Brawl competetitevely so im actually glad it happened. Its always games like Fable 2, Fallout 3 and GTA4 that have so much put into that tiny little disc. Games that last 4 days straight to beat.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I would not consider Galaxy better than Brawl on any standards. I bought it and thought it was good but I didnt enjoy it. It didnt keep me playing like Brawl. Brawl has the stuff for you to go back to the subspace thing, or just fight like in the VS. mode. Galaxy is like you play once and say Oh that was fun! then sell it back to gamestop.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
HERE COME THE MELEE MINISTERS!

s.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Brawl doesn't even deserve Brawl GOTY. World of Goo deserves that honor.

Melee is game of the last generation, though.
I find World of Goo not better than Brawl nor is it as addictive as Brawl. I belive that Brawl should have at least the best game on Wii title, I think Brawl does have Wii's Game of the Year over all.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I would not consider Galaxy better than Brawl on any standards. I bought it and thought it was good but I didnt enjoy it. It didnt keep me playing like Brawl. Brawl has the stuff for you to go back to the subspace thing, or just fight like in the VS. mode. Galaxy is like you play once and say Oh that was fun! then sell it back to gamestop.
Galaxy revolutionized Mario and gaming itself. It made use of the Wii's capabilities without them feeling tacked on. Brawl doesn't do that. It utilizes NONE of the Wii's motion sensor capabilities. Everything about Galaxy was perfect. I wouldn't even go back to play the Subspace Emissary.

Note: More people recommend Galaxy than Brawl.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Brawl isn't deserving of the game of the year.
The adventure mode is lacking.
The online is lacking.
That's all games are about nowadays lol.

Cinder is Blazblue out on PS3 yet?

Edit: Also, just because you don't like a game doesn't make it bad. I don't like GTA/Melee/Madden and they are all great games.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Soul Calibur IV is good. Kinda button mashy though, but so were the other ones.

Cinder

Smash Master
Soul Calibur IV is good. Kinda button mashy though, but so were the other ones.
Yeah, as long as you're not up against someone who's TOO good...my ex beat the **** out of me with Xianhua (sp? and I'm not sure if it was Xian tbh, it was a while back) by button mashing...granted, had I been pro, countering her woulda been easy...too bad I suck ._.

Play Blazblue (when it comes out)

Mith_

Smash Champion
Yea I want BlazBlue as well because I'm trying to get into 2d fighters although I lack skill in those games -.-

Big Bear

Smash Cadet
Link to original post: [drupal=964]2008 Game of the Year is not brawl[/drupal]

This bugs me and should bug some of you guys but on hardly any websites or in any magazines Brawl didnt rank as game of the year.I think it deserved it if nintendo power didnt. It was a great game. Can anyone gimme some ideas as to why? I think its absolute BS. My only explamation is that it came out somewhat early in the year causing people to forget about it.
In all honesty its probably due to the crummy online play! I mean if nintendo wasn't so up in arms about privacy, we wouldn't have to log onto forums looking for a brawl! They don't like to make it easy for you! Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a fan as the next guy but even the basic brawl option sux! Who wants to play a 2 minute brawl against three other people they can't even converse with! In my opinion, nintencorp should've seen that one coming and set up sites (like this one) of their own at least! Or just made an all round better way of adding friend codes...I mean, FRIEND CODES!!! ok, I'm not going to get angry :( (I haven't got any friends yet and really want to brawl)!

Mith_

Smash Champion
In all honesty its probably due to the crummy online play! I mean if nintendo wasn't so up in arms about privacy, we wouldn't have to log onto forums looking for a brawl! They don't like to make it easy for you! Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a fan as the next guy but even the basic brawl option sux! Who wants to play a 2 minute brawl against three other people they can't even converse with! In my opinion, nintencorp should've seen that one coming and set up sites (like this one) of their own at least! Or just made an all round better way of adding friend codes...I mean, FRIEND CODES!!! ok, I'm not going to get angry :( (I haven't got any friends yet and really want to brawl)!
If Brawl had 360 online that would be so pro.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Xianghua is too good in all of them. Except 4.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Well, let's think about this for a moment.

I know the people who whine about Melee are always going to be completely useless individuals. Seriously, dude, no. Its not even the best game for the last generation. No, don't argue, you're wrong. Devil May Cry beats it out, and there are plenty of other great games last generation which are potentially better.

For this year, we had:

Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Gears of War 2
Grand Theft Auto 4
LittleBigPlanet
Bioshock
World of Goo

Now, let's look at that list. Which is the best?

Honestly, I have to go with Bioshock here, though I've never played half those games (GTA4, for example, though from what I hear, I've already played it as I've played GTA 3 :p). Gears of War was awesome, but who knows with GoW2?

LittleBigPlanet is very cool with its openendedness and level construction. SSBB is a great fighting game and party game. World of Goo is a great puzzle game.

But Bioshock is just pure awesome.

There really weren't any revolutionary games other than GTA4.
What was revolutionary about GTA 4?

Galaxy revolutionized Mario and gaming itself. It made use of the Wii's capabilities without them feeling tacked on. Brawl doesn't do that. It utilizes NONE of the Wii's motion sensor capabilities. Everything about Galaxy was perfect. I wouldn't even go back to play the Subspace Emissary.
No, it didn't. Galaxy is a wonderful game, the best of its type, but it didn't revolutionize anything. And yes, it did make good use of the Wii's capabilities. But guess what?

Not every game should use the Wii's capabilities, and not every good game would use it. Brawl doesn't because its not the sort of game which would use it, and it works excellently on the system - it just doesn't use the Wiimote. There's no reason to complain about this, plenty of other good games (Mario Kart, for instance) are the same way.

People who are obsessed with the Wiimote not being useful in many games are the reason so many games use the Wiimote as a gimmick. You need to learn that the Wiimote ISN'T all that awesome. It IS, in fact, a gimmick. It works for some games, but that's it.

Brawl isn't deserving of the game of the year.
The adventure mode is lacking.
The online is lacking.
That's all games are about nowadays lol.
No. It isn't.

And Brawl's adventure mode is fine. What is bad about it?

Fallout 3 anyone?
No. Its really only an okay game, no better; it got good reviews because it has "Fallout" in its title and because its developer pays people to say good things about it.

Its the usual gaming journalism BS. Its an okay game, to be sure, but its not a GREAT game. Bioshock >>> Fallout 3.

Cinder

Smash Master
I hate to tear apart such a long post only for one small part, but it has to be said...

I know the people who whine about Melee are always going to be completely useless individuals. Seriously, dude, no. Its not even the best game for the last generation. No, don't argue, you're wrong. Devil May Cry beats it out, and there are plenty of other great games last generation which are potentially better.
This statement right here is your OPINION...my OPINION is that Melee is indeed the greatest game of this generation, and no, I'm not wrong...but neither are you...it's an OPINION...NOT A FACT...last I checked, an opinion can't be wrong...

And no, Melee players are NOT useless...

Play Melee
Play BlazBlue

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Xianghua is too good broken in all of them. Except 4 because Siegfried, Amy, Kilik, Apprentice and Yoda ***** her.
Fixed =P

Also, I don't think every gaming site is done with the Game of the Year of 2008 to clame that Brawl didn't win any.

Top Bottom