• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

20 minute free form jazz odysses are not ok!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

courte

Smash Lord
so ive been reading mixed opinions regarding kirby's newest musical track
some people saying that its not quite something they can fight to

what were your impressions of the fire emblem theme @ first??
i never thought id be spiking to a salsa opening but here i am to this day dancing in temple

then again if you've played kirby superstar you'd recognize this sound as nostalgia((i know kirby players who've never played a kirby game))

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
Onett's music isn't exactly battle worthy

Infact like only the Pokemon music really get people in the mood to fight, probably because all of that music has to do with fighting.

courte

Smash Lord
actually thinking about it the musics there for added fun when u look at it

wouldn't any of you listen to your favorite music by another artist to really get you amped??

Wight

Smash Apprentice
honestly, meta knight was made so badass in this game. This song is epic fail. "Meta Knight's Revenge"? More like "Meta Knight's After One Too Many Boxes of Lucky Charms"

Burnsro

Smash Cadet
so ive been reading mixed opinions regarding kirby's newest musical track
some people saying that its not quite something they can fight to

what were your impressions of the fire emblem theme @ first??
i never thought id be spiking to a salsa opening but here i am to this day dancing in temple

then again if you've played kirby superstar you'd recognize this sound as nostalgia((i know kirby players who've never played a kirby game))
There is already a nice thread for this http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=116124 .

Although I'll comment on your thoughts anyway. :grin:

There is wide variety of composers that have been assigned the task of arranging various songs so we will see some interesting variations to some of them in the game.

The jazz version of the Revenge of Meta Knight song doesn't quite song like the original enough. So some people, like myself in another thread, complained that it's not as good as the original and deviates too much from it's source material. While others have complained that the Kid Icarus song sounds too much like the original and isn't different at all so it's not as exciting of an arrangement.

It's a blessing that there will be CDs to collect in the game so that the soundtrack for different stages can be changed, this way if someone doesn't like a particular song they can just turn it off for that stage. A really nifty feature!

Zantetsu

Smash Master
By looking at the title I thought this was going to be about guitar hero 3 (Since that is one of the loading messeges) >_>

Anyways I like the fire emblem song better then the kirby song but since the fire emblem one has lyrics...I'l go with kirby =\

Edit : 1,500th post =D

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
The only reason im not too worried is becuase i think that there will be an original version of the song as a possible music choice... youll probably just have to find its CD

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Nah, I love the music. It doesn't all have to be battling music. That's the draw of it.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm actually quite disappointed with the Brawl music in general. In melee everything was orchestrated and nice, but in Brawl a lot of the music is synth. I think it's odd for them to downgrade it like that, considering the amount of composers on staff... You'd think they would have lined up a decent orchestra for recording this kind of thing...

I'm also well aware of the fact that not everything needs to be orchestral, but when you are using a synth trumpet and synth percussion in a piece it is drastically less quality than getting the real thing.

Also, I think the new theme was overly ambitious and a bit pretentious. Don't get me wrong, I freaking LOVE Nobuo Uematsu, but the opera singers in a fighting game was a bad move. I'm not even against opera, the FF6 opera peice was great...

Arghh... it's hard for me not to rant on this topic, but I think they were fundamentally flawed by having 30,000 composers, no orchestra, and nobody questioning the clout of some of the composers involved.

courte

Smash Lord
I dunno what you're bumming out about, it's got that jokingly-serious tone that you come to expect to hear in a game like Smash Bros.
exactly!! sakurai says it himself slapstick
and who's to say the original wouldn't be in.

the last and first game were both made by hal laboratories, developers of the kirby games
i'd imagine that there impact on the smash scene would be enought that theyd have just about as much say as mario or link's side of the debate

miller483

Smash Ace
I'm actually quite disappointed with the Brawl music in general. In melee everything was orchestrated and nice, but in Brawl a lot of the music is synth. I think it's odd for them to downgrade it like that, considering the amount of composers on staff... You'd think they would have lined up a decent orchestra for recording this kind of thing...

I'm also well aware of the fact that not everything needs to be orchestral, but when you are using a synth trumpet and synth percussion in a piece it is drastically less quality than getting the real thing.

Also, I think the new theme was overly ambitious and a bit pretentious. Don't get me wrong, I freaking LOVE Nobuo Uematsu, but the opera singers in a fighting game was a bad move. I'm not even against opera, the FF6 opera peice was great...

Arghh... it's hard for me not to rant on this topic, but I think they were fundamentally flawed by having 30,000 composers, no orchestra, and nobody questioning the clout of some of the composers involved.
You do know that it's been confirmed that the music on the Dojo is just MIDI samples right?

Darkurai

Smash Master
In melee everything was orchestrated and nice
Barely anything in Melee was orchestrated. It was all midis. This much is obvious based on how the Smashing...LIVE! orchestra sounds. Granted, the SL songs are arranged differently from the actual Melee soundtrack, but if they were both orchestrated, they'd have more in common then the melody and rhythm.

Cojiro

Smash Journeyman
You do know that it's been confirmed that the music on the Dojo is just MIDI samples right?
The question is how representative the site music will be of the final game. Has there been any statement saying music quality is lessened for Dojo updates?

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
It really is hard to think of this crap as battle music ON THE HALBERD. It's a ok little piece by itself, I am a hardcore Kirby fan so I can recognize it, but why change it this way? It sounds like an awful thing to do to such a epic stage.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I think that Sakurai has clearly implemented a feature so that if you don't like the music, you don't have to hear it. You're a whiner.

Eggman

Smash Apprentice
Dude, I love this new arrangement, and I grew up with Superstar. They coulda made some orchestrated or techno thing, but they thought outside the box and used the best music genre, jazz (can you tell I'm a jazz lover?). This, to me, is about as epic as Ashley's theme. MORE JAZZ ARRANGEMENTS!!!

In regards to the Dojo/Midi thing, could someone show proof? I believe you, but I have a friend at school who's been dissing Brawl's midi-tone and I wanna show him proof that it's just the site.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Well some Melee music wasnt exactly "battle-worthy" either(Onett, icicle mountai, princess P.'s castle, temple, raimbow cruise just to name a few.)

Drone 147

Smash Rookie
I'm slightly disapointed...

at all the reactions from these "kirby fans"! First of all, I love kirby music. Superstar, in fact, is my favorite game in the series. I've played that game back and forth since I was maybe 7.
So naturally, when I saw the new music on the Dojo I was excited. After I listened to it... I was excited! I mean sure I love the original score, but if you have listened to it side by side with the jazzed version, you'll notice they are quite similar. One of the major differences, however, is that the original is done with synth tech from 10 years ago while the new version sounds so much more fleshed out. I listened to both, the old version just seemed so "2D" in comparison. I accept the arrangement with open arms.

And on top of all that, the only reason the new song sounds jazzier then the old is because of how much worse the old synth is! Listen to the old one, there are trumpets 'battling' just like in the arrangement.

Twisted

Smash Cadet
I think that Sakurai has clearly implemented a feature so that if you don't like the music, you don't have to hear it. You're a whiner.
thank you for finally pointing this out. Also ALL music in Brawl (so far) is orchastrated so even though I and others like the original better they had to do something with it . I can see why they chose jazz, it had a very smooth trasition. Plus as Sakurai said its just a change of pace. Obviously there is not going to be 20 jazz songs.

Darkurai

Smash Master
thank you for finally pointing this out. Also ALL music in Brawl (so far) is orchastrated so even though I and others like the original better they had to do something with it . I can see why they chose jazz, it had a very smooth trasition. Plus as Sakurai said its just a change of pace. Obviously there is not going to be 20 jazz songs.
Except for some demo music such as Delfino Plaza and some Metroid Prime 3 song that I don't know the name of.

Byron X

Smash Journeyman
I'm slightly disapointed...

at all the reactions from these "kirby fans"! First of all, I love kirby music. Superstar, in fact, is my favorite game in the series. I've played that game back and forth since I was maybe 7.
So naturally, when I saw the new music on the Dojo I was excited. After I listened to it... I was excited! I mean sure I love the original score, but if you have listened to it side by side with the jazzed version, you'll notice they are quite similar. One of the major differences, however, is that the original is done with synth tech from 10 years ago while the new version sounds so much more fleshed out. I listened to both, the old version just seemed so "2D" in comparison. I accept the arrangement with open arms.

And on top of all that, the only reason the new song sounds jazzier then the old is because of how much worse the old synth is! Listen to the old one, there are trumpets 'battling' just like in the arrangement.

Agreed, the song is epic regardless :)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Barely anything in Melee was orchestrated. It was all midis. This much is obvious based on how the Smashing...LIVE! orchestra sounds. Granted, the SL songs are arranged differently from the actual Melee soundtrack, but if they were both orchestrated, they'd have more in common then the melody and rhythm.
Umm... no guy. The songs in game ARE orchestrated. The difference between the in game and SL is that SL was a recording of a live show. The recording for melee is much better, because it was recorded professionally and well mixed. Seriously... listen to the in game melee music, it's obviously not synths...
Oh wow, I didn't know that. That makes me feel INFINITELY better about the music, although what I said about the main theme still stands.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
I have no problem with this music. One of the coolest sound tracks in Kirby Super Star. Though I wonder why they went jazz?

rexpro02

Smash Cadet
is simple... if u played kirby superstar u got to love the song....
i played kirby superstar long time ago and i love the song it even made me play it again..( i mean im playing while writting this...)

.... is such a good song i cant explain it :urg:......

courte

Smash Lord
ok i made a post very annoyong and was served as expected...

what exactly is my punishment??

more importantly lets all remember my music
no doubt most of you will have this one too the minimum probability
but have we all kept in mind if characters and items are returning with so much music why would it return as well... lets all stop?? i've opened tho floodgates of hell

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't know, I guess I'm not enough of a music buff to care whether it's MIDI or Live music. As long as it sounds half way decent.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
You people are crazy Meta Knight's Revenge song is ****ing awesome. Sure it may not fit the character very much but non the less it a great jazz arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom